over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

TRAPS->work them with back or delts??

bigman

Newbies
I keep things basic with heavy machine shrugs. Always did traps last with shoulders, but thinking about it, aren't traps more back? I might throw them in with back today and see how it feels. Or should I keep them with shoulders?

I have done them exclusively with back for years. Some people do them with delts as they feel they already are stimulated by lateral movements. Some feel their traps grow disproportionately fast and train them every other week with delts OR back, almost as an afterthought (I've known a few of these).

I feel they sit much better with my back training. IronMike

do deadlifts for back and upright rows for shoulders and forget the shrugs.

i think if your are going to do direct work for traps its better to do them on shoulder day.

Doing a back workout really wears down your forearms and grip strenght which will not allow for max effort on shrugs. they should be fresh after a shoulder workout though.

I tink some kind of shrughs are essential. Alot of people have shoulder problems with uproghts, or cant get them to work just right. I agree 100% that after back I just dont have the grip for heavy shrughs. I do them with biceps! But if I had to chose Id do with delts instead of back.

Re: Re: traps

Kidrok said:
For me, it seems that doing heavy back and shoulders hits the traps hard also. When I did work traps, I do them last on back day, since "my" emphasis is more on back. While they are "pre-exhausted" from back workout, I use wrist straps for shrugs and can still focus on the traps.

xcel

That's exactly what i did today xcelbeyond. Did 2 sets of shrugs at the end of my back workout. They were pretty much smoked. I think I'll keep traps with back for a bit and see how things go. I have big traps, so they aren't really a priority. Thanks for the replies guys.

Re: ...

IronMike said:
Some feel their traps grow disproportionately fast and train them every other week with delts OR back

Having disproportionately large traps looks awesome i think. Unless youre a competitive bodybuilder. But if you do it for the fun of it, i say aim for bill goldberg sized traps!

Another thing is, i find with bb rows, if you do them bent over at the waist at like only 45 degrees - that seems to hit the lower traps more than anything. And then, use wrist straps for the heavy shrugs and just fry the upper peaks of em.

|--[\\\]>----------- I dont need to do them, mine are huge LOL! but if i did do them, i'd do them at the end of back day.

In order to be strong on trap movements, I do them with CHEST.

MON: CHEST & TRAPS ABS
TUES: LEGS (usually traps are sore and it kills to put the bar across them).

WED: rest

Thursday:Shoulders and TRIS ABS
FRI: BACK and BIS ABS

SAT & SUn: REST

I do mine exactly like you xcel. Might try swapping them around over the winter and see how they go. Typically mine respond well when I want them to so it's never a biggie.

And I can't do upright rows at all. I used to love them but my left shoulder's got a twinge that upright rows aggravate badly, so I'm limited to shrugs. IronMike

Steak Helmet said:
In order to be strong on trap movements, I do them with CHEST.
MON: CHEST & TRAPS ABS
TUES: LEGS (usually traps are sore and it kills to put the bar across them).
WED: rest
Thursday:Shoulders and TRIS ABS
FRI: BACK and BIS ABS
SAT & SUn: REST

Anyone agree that it's best to work the small pulling muscles after the big pushing ones?
Examples would be to work chest, then biceps one day. And then on back day, do your rows, pullups, etc, then hit the triceps while theyre relatively fresh.

I find if i work biceps on the same day as back, by the time i get to the biceps, theyre already too fatigued to move a decent amount of weight.

If you are deadlifting like you should be, theres no need for shrugs. Make sure ur going heavy enough, get a strong lockout and squeeze at the top, and ur golden. Iv experienced the most trap growth and improvement when i stopped doin shrugs completly and just deadlifted heavy.

If in your training routine you devote a workout to arms only, you can do traps before: thus you will warm forearms but triceps also, and stretch biceps. I find this method gives you great pumps as soon as the first bi/tri superset starts. Otherwise i have to wait for 2 to 3 sets to be really warmed.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear