over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Upright Rows - Delts

billy34

Newbies
Hi All
Happy belated holidays and Happy New Year while I am at it.
I am generally a side lateral kinda guy for side delts. However, just trying something new and want opinions for using upright rows for delts/upper back. Just wondering how wide/narrow of a grip and bar you used felt got the best results. I have never really tried them as I mentioned.
I cannot use very heavy loads due to torn labrums in both shoulders along with rotator cuff issues.
Thx in advance!

Hi All
I am generally a side lateral kinda guy for side delts. However, just trying something new and want opinions for using upright rows for delts/upper back. Just wondering how wide/narrow of a grip and bar you used felt got the best results. I have never really tried them as I mentioned.
I cannot use very heavy loads due to torn labrums in both shoulders along with rotator cuff issues.
Thx in advance!

a little wider works the side delts pretty good,close it works my traps and biceps some.

This may not work for you because of your shoulder problems, but lately I have been doing upright rows in the smith machine it allows me to pull back as I pull up.
I have always done them after seated behind the neck presses with a grip and stance thats comfortable.
Hands close together hurts my wrists.

This may not work for you because of your shoulder problems, but lately I have been doing upright rows in the smith machine it allows me to pull back as I pull up.
I have always done them after seated behind the neck presses with a grip and stance thats comfortable.
Hands close together hurts my wrists.

I have had shoulder problems (broke one and dislocation of other) and I like doing smith upright rows with a grip a little wider than shoulder width. Going too close impinges my shoulders. If you get a good contraction, like one second squeeze, at the op of the rep you'll feel a nice burn in your delts and will be able to effectively stimulate the delts with a lighter load.

I also like using DBs since they allow for easier hand adjustments to get your shoulders in a safe position. The only big issue I watch for is getting my hands too close, which, if done over and again, will cause me some pain.

yes

Upright barbell rows are wonderful. I find they work best for me with ~24 inch wide grip, keeping the elbows up
and pulling about nipple height and holding briefly. And as Capin said, the smith machine works good too.

As an added benefit, what I do (I can’t do this on the smith machine I use) is after completing a set and not letting
go of the bar, I clean it to my shoulders, and after adjusting my grip, I do a set of presses, alternating front and
back, just clearing my fat head. This really fries my delts.

If you really get to go nuts with this, do a set of laterals first, then upright rows, then presses with no rest in between.
My delts never looked better then when I did this routine. A couple of cycles were all I ever needed.

i like to do it wide with the bars. I put on 3 tens and a band. Then drop the weight and just do the band with the bar. After that just have my spotter add iso tension and do lateral raises. Smokes the delts.

Shit, I forgot to mention, how high do you guys pull also? Thx for the great tips/suggestions!

Shit, I forgot to mention, how high do you guys pull also? Thx for the great tips/suggestions!

WIDES no higher than the middle pec area if i do closer then it may be clear up to the chin.
Thats just me though.

Ive been doing them here and there on the cable machine with a rope grabbing the insides. A lot easier on the wrists this way for me at least, over the monkey bar.

WIDES no higher than the middle pec area if i do closer then it may be clear up to the chin.
Thats just me though.

about the same i try to get it so my tris are about parallel

Hi All
Thx in advance!

This goes for any exercise, any muscle/group...

Use extremely light weight and try different grip widths. Pay attention/focus on muscle contraction... You should learn to feel what works best for YOU for different muscles... Everyone is slightly different.

Even if you make up an exercise, but it works the muscle well that you want to work... You will see results.

Always start light.
Increase weight until you have to start using other muscles to complete a "perfect" rep... Unless you can do 25 reps or only a few..
This is the weight to start with.
Train smart... Don't just go through the motions... I promise you will grow.

I also like using DBs since they allow for easier hand adjustments to get your shoulders in a safe position.

:yeahthat:

I only use dumbbells for upward rows, and honestly I find it to be one of the most effective exercise for side delts. :)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws