over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

usnic acid

balla06

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
any thoughts on this? :confused: lookin to burn off some fat...what would be a good dose?:confused:

thanks
balla

been using it for a while now and really like the results. My wife is using it for her contest prep and says she loves it. She is 12 weeks out and looks better than she did last year at the same time. I believe the effective dosage range is 30mg-50mg per day taken in divided doses with meals.

I used it a couple of years back. I didnt care for it much, I prefer DNP myself. I think they one I had came in 100mg pills... I dont remember exactly but I think the dose range was 500-1000mg daily...I would do a search to find out more.

Here is an article I found a few years back while doing research when I was considering using it. I never did.

Will usnic acid be banned next?
Anthony Almada

May 2004

The tenacity with which some nutraceutical formulators and marketers search for novel weight loss-inducing agents is striking. One of the more recent illustrations is the inclusion of usnic acid, as a sodium salt or the free acid, in dietary supplements claiming to have anti-obesity effects. The Food and Drug Administration has its sights set on it as a candidate for market removal, following the fate of ephedra and, potentially, bitter orange and aristolochic acid. (Bitter orange was discussed on this page in the April issue, and aristolochic acid will be discussed next month.)

Its start as a supplement

Usnic acid (UA) is a polyphenol expressed by a variety of lichens. Additionally, UA has been described in hops resin and Kombucha tea.1,2

The genesis of UA’s positioning as a weight-loss nutraceutical appears to emanate from a single paper employing in vitro assessments of UA as an ‘uncoupling agent’ in mouse liver mitochondria.3

Uncoupling agents effectively render the process of aerobic metabolism in mitochondria—which couples oxidation of metabolic fuels to the attachment of phosphate groups to ATP precursors, yielding ATP, the axial molecule of bioenergetics—less efficient and thus energy is ‘leaked’ out. This manifests as heat and an increase in metabolic rate, known as thermogenesis.

In this in vitro study, UA was shown to be more potent than an infamous uncoupler, 2,4-dinitrophenol (DNP). DNP was sold as a drug in the 1930s in the United States, the product of studies at Stanford University showing a relationship between dose, metabolic rate increase and weight loss.4

In these studies, weight loss (without any dietary control) averaged 7.8kg without any apparent effects on food consumption. Hypertensive subjects also experienced significant decreases in blood pressure. However, the widespread use of DNP eventually led to its procurement without medical supervision, and the sharp dose-dependent relationship on metabolic rate led to some individuals being ‘cooked to death,’ which led to its subsequent removal from the market.

Effects on the liver

In the above study comparing UA to DNP, UA was about 50 times more potent an uncoupler. This single in vitro study, despite the absence of any in vivo studies examining UA’s effect upon thermogenesis or body weight, fostered a number of dietary supplements incorporating pure UA or its sodium salt. Most notable was a product called LipoKinetix, which was associated with severe chemical hepatitis (elevated liver enzymes in blood, jaundice, vomiting) in seven previously healthy men and women.5 The duration of use in this cohort ranged from 10 days to 12 weeks. LipoKinetix was comprised of phenylpropanolamine, sodium usnate, a thyroid hormone precursor, diiodothyronine, yohimbine and caffeine. Thus, attributing the acute hepatotoxicity to UA alone is unfounded. Notably, after each of the subjects ceased using this product, their liver enzyme profiles normalised.

Recent research has subjected mouse liver cells to UA in vitro and found both oxidative stress and toxicity, which could be prevented by the pre-addition of a fat-soluble antioxidant like alpha-tocopheryl succinate (vitamin E).6 Interestingly, DNP also showed similar oxidative and toxic effects, which were in fact not mitigated by vitamin E.

Another study found high-dose (200mg/kg) injections of UA for five days had no significant effect on blood liver enzymes but a demonstrable effect on liver cell size and shape, indicative of a toxic effect.7

One area of promising use for UA in hepatology is with an inherited metabolic defect called tyrosinemia I, an often-fatal fibrotic liver disease marked by disordered collagen metabolism. Recent investigations suggest that UA, which inhibits the plant form of the deranged enzyme characteristic of this disease, may indeed be a candidate for clinical therapy.8,9

Anthony Almada is president and chief scientific officer of IMAGINutrition Inc. www.imaginutrition.com
Respond: [email protected]

References
1. Stevens R. The chemistry of hop constituents. Chem Rev 1966;67:19-71.
2. Blanc PJ. Characterization of the tea fungus metabolites. Biotech Lett 1996;18:139-42.
3. Abo-Khatwa AN, et al. Lichen acids as uncouplers of oxidative phosphorylation of mouse-liver mitochondria. Nat Toxins 1996;4:96-102.
4. Tainter ML, et al. Dinitrophenol in the treatment of obesity: final report. J Am Med Assoc 1933;101:322-36.
5. Favreau JT, et al. Severe hepatotoxicity associated with the dietary supplement LipoKinetix. Ann Intern Med 2002;136:590-5.
6. Han D, et al. Usnic acid-induced necrosis of cultured mouse hepatocytes: inhibition of mitochondrial function and oxidative stress. Biochem Pharmacol 2004;67:439-51.
7. Pramyothin P, et al. Hepatotoxic effect of (+)usnic acid from Usnea siamensis Wainio in rats, isolated rat hepatocytes and isolated rat liver mitochondria. J Ethnopharm 2004;90:381-7.
8. Hanauske-Abel HM, et al. Tyrosinemia I, a model for human diseases mediated by 2-oxoacid-utilizing dioxygenases: hepatotoxin suppression by NTBC does not normalize hepatic collagen metabolism. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2002;35:73-8.
9. Romagni JG, et al. The phytotoxic lichen metabolite, usnic acid, is a potent inhibitor of plant p-hydroxyphenylpyruvate dioxygenase. FEBS Lett 2000;480:301-5.

Usnic Acid dosing

I have some Usnic Acid from a while ago- it's 250 mg pills, and if I remember correctly, I took 1 pill twice a day (500 mg total).

I think the lower dosage that you mention (in the 20 mg range) was Sodium Usniate which was very similar.

I haven't taken any for about 2 years as I feel like crap on it- but it does work. I'd rather do T3 and some clen which aren't as harsh on me.

Dave Palumbo still likes Usnic Acid better than DNP and has written about it- try a search. Just be careful as it is wicked stuff.

ive done research bout it...most comes back bad...read some pretty freaky stories that kinda make me second guess using it....that is why i wanted to know from anyone who has personal exp with it....in a way it kinda seems like its a toss up, maybe it wont harm my liver maybe it will and i guess that is jus the chance i take, jus like anything else....thanks for all ur input guys!! i guess im jus lookin for a little more comfort or discomfort to push me either way....regaurdless i know that i will def be safe with this stuff...any more input would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

thanks
balla

I tried it a couple years ago when preparing for a show....I believe I took 500mg that day. By the second day I broke out in sweats, was tired as hell and felt like I was on fire. I thought I was going to die..lol. Obviously I discontinued its use right then and there.

I'll never use that shit again!

thundergod said:
been using it for a while now and really like the results. My wife is using it for her contest prep and says she loves it. She is 12 weeks out and looks better than she did last year at the same time. I believe the effective dosage range is 30mg-50mg per day taken in divided doses with meals.

Any notebale side effects?

Ya any sides yet? And the tabs I got are 500mg each!!! I'm def gna have to be breakin them up or better yet I may jus say fuck it and not even take them.....all the things I've read wether its true or not has scared the shit outta me, I'm talkin like some lady took it for 2 weeks then off 2 weeks and then 3 days into the next cycle she got real sick, had to end up gettin a liver transplant!! That is crazy! I don't no if its true but still, kinda freaked me a little, also ppl gettin a rash all over their body,being totally weak, craaaazy sweats, and all around feelin like shit, I don't no if its such a god idea anymore

Maybe I should run a clen/t3 cycle.....any thoughts on how to take this? Ill research myself but any help wpould be nice!

Don't no much bout cuttin weight, or substance that do so. Never had to really worry bout it but over the holidays I've been doin some crucial drinkin and slacked off :( I no I no ima stupid ass but shit happens, but I have a little nice "pooch" if u will and want this shit gone and fast!! Haha

Peace
Balla

Balla- if it's just a little "pooch", I'd stay away from clen and T3 too. I use them, but I take it you're a MMA guy? You will lose endurance on these drugs- and I'm sure you can handle upping the cardio a bit.

I think you did right thing in not taking Usnic- I could barely workout at all on that shit. If you're still going to do clen / t3 there are tons of articles on how to do them- but everyone reacts differently. Clen makes me shake like a crack-head for first few days- 100 mcg is my max, and I do the 2 week on/2 week off to refresh receptors. T3 I can go as high as 200 mcg, but it makes me hotter than hell, and a resting heart rate well over 100 (I guess that's why it works). Just make sure you take your work environment into consideration as you may look like a fool sweating all the time.

Best of luck- I think you are making the best decision (although now I'm looking at my UA bottles and thinking "hmm, maybe"). NOT

ive used it twice over the past couple years, both at a dosage of 1 gram a day for 2 weeks. No complaints, lost 7-10lbs both times I ran the stuff.

Jarconis said:
ive used it twice over the past couple years, both at a dosage of 1 gram a day for 2 weeks. No complaints, lost 7-10lbs both times I ran the stuff.
any sides and how long did u run and how much?

I am in no way recommending using dnp, but 3-4 years ago when usnic acid was popular there was alot of infomation and some studies going around it was very liver toxic and that dnp was a better choice over usinic acid if used conservatively. I used usinic acid it works ok, but I remember having very high liver values while on it. Usnic acid use be the main ingrediant in Syntrax Lipokinetix. Many people had law suits against Syntrax after claimingof having liver issues and failure after using the product for extended periods of time.

Just read the article above. Seen they were also talking about the lipokinetix. Anyways its states that UA was about 50 times more potent an uncoupler than dnp is just not true. UA does not compare to dnp for fatloss.

Last edited:
1badboy said:
Balla- if it's just a little "pooch", I'd stay away from clen and T3 too. I use them, but I take it you're a MMA guy? You will lose endurance on these drugs- and I'm sure you can handle upping the cardio a bit.

I think you did right thing in not taking Usnic- I could barely workout at all on that shit. If you're still going to do clen / t3 there are tons of articles on how to do them- but everyone reacts differently. Clen makes me shake like a crack-head for first few days- 100 mcg is my max, and I do the 2 week on/2 week off to refresh receptors. T3 I can go as high as 200 mcg, but it makes me hotter than hell, and a resting heart rate well over 100 (I guess that's why it works). Just make sure you take your work environment into consideration as you may look like a fool sweating all the time.

Best of luck- I think you are making the best decision (although now I'm looking at my UA bottles and thinking "hmm, maybe"). NOT
Badboy thanks for all the info brutha!! U jus gave me the little extra discomfort about ua that made my final choice to jus not even mess with it......thanks again and yes I def do not need lose endurance but as of right now I'm not training so much so I guess u can say I'm in my down time so now is the time to do it if gna ya no? Anyways I got a killer cardio work out that last 31 days and its 6 days a week, so we will see what its does I was jus lookin for a little extra fast help to get rid of the little pooch haha

And I've takin clen for two days a while back and it made me shake like a crack head also. I could hardly text on my phone or type at a comp it was so bad haha

Thanks again bro!! And that bottle of ua, don't let it sucker u in!! Hope mine doesn't!!hahahaha ya right after all this info I think I'm jus gna toss it!

Peace
Balla

balla06 said:
any sides and how long did u run and how much?

only sides were overrall fatigue and just feeling hot all the time(obv). Each time I ran it, it was a 2 week cycle. I had 250mg caps and I would ramp quickly up to 1 gram a day and then ramp down quickly at the end of the 2 week period.

I remmeber I used it a long time ago for a few weeks. I think it was called UCP-1. Didnt really notice too much.

palumbo recomends way less then the other stuff. his site SPecies nutrition recomends i think max 60mg or something around that. check species there s a regular formula lypolyze and a nighttime formula somalyze(?). anyay its got some interesting info on the site. i asked palumbo and he said like dnp anytime theres increased fat oxidation there more free radicals produced, i.e. use antioxidants but DNP ld50 is borderline with the effective dose, while usnic acid uncouples but with a far less safer dose that is nowwhere near the ld50. the older usnic supps used rediculous dosages, on MD's board check dave's Q & A thread. it talk s about it, some guy used a gram and plaumbo was actually worried for this guy,and said the only thing that comes after that 60-70mg dose is more sides.
anyway for what its worth there you go.

my wife and I have both had blood work done while we were taking UA and our liver values all came back within normal limits. They were at the higher end, but the doctor said that is most likely do to the strenous workouts. Palumbo is the one doing my wifes nutrition and we use his Species line of supps. and they work great. The max dose for the UA from Species is 60mg per day. (3-6 10 mg tabs per day taken in divided doses with meals.)

but then again, everyone is different and you should find what works for you and stick to it.

MY TAKE ON USNIC ACID. FROM(BIO-LABS)

HEY BROS I USED USNIC FROM BIO-LABS FOR MY LAST FEW WEEKS CONTEST PREP AND THEN A FEW WEEKS AFTER.
IT MADE HARD AS A ROCK THOUGH I FELT HOT SOMETIMES BUT NOTHING SERIOUS.AND WHEN I USED IT POST CONTEST IT KEPT ME LEANER LONGER THAN USUAL!!!! HALF TAB MORNING,HALF TAB EVENING 500MG TOTAL..

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131