over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

VANDERS pix

TooPowerful4u

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
He couldnt get it to work for some reason so im posting these for him. Mods if you can, give him the ability to post on this thread.

"ok im here im here everybody relax , here are some of my pics dont state the obvoius i know i rule and all so lets be creative with comments , im sure ill get alot of hatred but hey its all good i love all feedback thanks ."
-Vander

Attachments

• solid.jpg
    solid.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,842

Attachments

• Vander 1legs.jpg
    Vander 1legs.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,848
Last edited:

Attachments

• sadfs.jpg
    sadfs.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,841

Attachments

• waefa.jpg
    waefa.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,837
Your upper body overpowers your legs. How about some full body shots in the mandatory poses??

Attachments

• FDBI.jpg
    FDBI.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,830
Last edited:

Attachments

• sadfsa.jpg
    sadfsa.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,831
Only the thread starter can post in a thread. That cannot be changed.

Looking at the legs individually, like in that vascular pose, they look good. But when looking at the whole body, especially from the front, they greatly lack. They are 'flat' as in they don't pop.
And that is even more emphasised by the fact that the upper body is very large and VERY thick.

In the side poses, the legs look good, even the calves in that first side photo.

Quads are the only glaringly obvious flaw. Nothing really to pick on the upper body. Proper compulsory poses would help, from behind as well.

I concur on the quad thing. Altho' i believe it is more the outer sweep that is lacking. plenty of thickness there, but possibly mistaking vacualrity for condition. would love to see you really 'dry'

Upper body awesome, I agree on the quad thing with the other judges.

But the quad weakness does not have to be a problem, being on stage is as much "illusion" as anything else and you can use that to hide your flaws (legs) as we all have them.

If you have a good posing coach, he should be able to help you with this.
If you don't, get one now! Worth the money no matter how experienced
a poser you feel you already are!

Worldspan

Response:

1st let me say thanks to all who have responded. I have just recently started competing in BB i was age 25 im now 28 so its been 3 years in those three years i did my 1st squatts ever and then sliped a disc and got hernia so its been a ruff road for building up my legs , at age 25 i didnt even want to compete and had no intentions , just wanted to look good and have the big arms abs and chest going which i developed nicely , but my legs were at 24 inches to start and ive now got them to 27+ so i guess an inch a year , i will take all of your advice and apply it to my training , sweep is 1st from what i read , then more quad size overall. thanks again i respect your views.

- Vander

I agree with everyone else in this thread. Your upper body is way ahead of the lower. First thing that sticks out to me from the front poses is the lack of quad sweep...like dwarfs-r-us mentioned. In some of the front pics (#7 in particular) your quads appear to be about as big at the bottom as they are at the top. You could do well on the National level once you bring you legs up to match your upper body.

Last edited:
Comments

Hey Vander!

We've corresponded on some other topics, but not necessarily a critique.

Your physique is a great one -- absolutely, and from the perspective of those not so advanced having a good model to look at, learn from, and aspire to.

Beginning with bone structure: you have a longer than average collarbone, which gives you naturally broad shoulders. They also appear pretty much horizontal, which enhances the visual image of breadth. Your rib cage is more oval than barrel, which is better for bodybuilding. 20 years ago, the barrel chest was used and admired in the side chest particularly -- not so anymore. The barrel chest poses problems proportionally in that it's hard to get the upper pec thick enough so as to look well-developed, and the barrel chest also makes arms and legs look small, even when they are not in absolute terms. Your rib cage also tapers, and the floating ribs are flat and tucked in. This allows the waist to be narrow and the stomach to be flat. Hips are flat and relatively narrow compared to shoulders. Length of arms and legs in proportion to each other are good, and upper body length and lower body length are in good proportion. All in all, about as good a bone structure as a bodybuilder could ask for! Go hug your parents!

Muscle structure is also good -- great thickness along the full length of the muscle structures with good insertions into either the next muscle group or the joints. The muscle bellies look to have good shape for development.

Development of the muscle structure is led, right now, by arms and delts. Legs need to be brought up to comparable mass with the upper body, arms particularly. Legs are passable from the side, which you could improve by using the back leg as a "prop" against which you lean the front leg in order to expand it. This requires moving the front foot farther out from the center line and bending the knee in so the thigh is pushed against the back leg. You already know how to do that, I'm sure, but you just don't yet do it habitually when posing. It matters, particularly when the legs don't yet have comparable mass with the upper body.

However, from the front, the quads don't have the total width or the outer sweep they need. In the short run, especially since you need to be careful not to re-injure yourself, you can "mask" that deficiency by concentrating on getting deeper separation in the quads, and making sure the separation shows all the way up into the hip. Obviously, thigh extensions with emphasis on holding the contraction and a slow negative are standard for this. Hack squats may be less risky of injury and also help you in this.

Hamstrings need to "project" back with more sweep. I would bet, though, if you posted a photo of legs from the back, that the hams would also need more width at their base -- i.e., they're probably somewhat narrow right now.

Arms and delts are your strength. However, given how much arm size you have, I'd suggest changing your hand position in the side chest to what it would be if you were doing hammercurls. Given that your arms overpower your legs, you can make use of that to emphasize separation instead and simultaneously lessen the visible discrepancy. In hammercurl position, you should see the brachialis come out more, which gives that impressive 3-part arm separation. You give up a little appearance of size, but you don't need to emphasize the disproportion between arms and legs anyway.

I don't know how far apart the side chest shots were from the photo in camo pants in a double bi. However, the double bi suggests that the inside face of biceps and triceps don't match the development of the outer face. Triceps dips off the side of a bench and reverse grip pushdowns on cable will help the inside face of the triceps. Elbow position when doing biceps exercises will affect the inside face of the biceps.

Would love to see a back shot! Though maybe after all the above you may not want to post it!!!! ;)

Posing. Your approach to posing appears to favor power and mass versus lines and definition. I'd recommend a better balance. For example, in the side chest you are bringing your arm way back. In that position, you can't press it against your rib cage to get more size or to pop your delts even more. Use your lats to push out your tris, and your rib cage to push out the bis, and then change the hand position as I suggested above to hammer curl. Your arm ought actually to look even bigger, have greater sweep in the tris, and have much better definition.

In the double bi, you're hiking up your shoulders which collapses the traps and narrows the shoulders, losing some of the impressive width and therefore taper that you have. Drop them into a more natural position, and don't EVER roll them forward (which collapses the upper pec and also narrows them). Also, don't lift your rib cage so high that you can't show abs -- remember that good judges are always judging the WHOLE physique regardless of the name of the pose currently being performed.

Would love to see a lat spread, a back double, a back lat, and a side tri! I have a hunch your side tri has to be spectacular!

Simply put, you could be a highly competitive IFBB Pro with not a whole lot different from what you have. Yeah, some really hard work for probably a couple of years. I know you have family and other obligations, so I'm not saying "do it"! I'm just saying you could do it if competition fits into your life -- I never recommend trying to fit one's life into competitive bodybuilding as that's almost uniformly a recipe for living in a truck outside a gym with no life at all.

I hope that's helpful (and encouraging!) to you, and useful to others who may read it who are not as advanced as you are. Congratulations on the truly great gifts which you possess, and on the hard work and willpower which have developed them this far!

KenT

Last edited:
Hey thanks alot Ken for taking the time to fully assess my physique , Im gonna be the first to say you really no your shit , everything you said is correct even the things i hate hearing lol, it really does make sense to me especially me knowing my body , you did a great job from just a few pictures i cant imagine your accuracy in person , great post thanks again.

heres a back shot and a Qturn for ya ken

Attachments

• qturn.jpg
    qturn.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,355
back

Attachments

• sadfas.jpg
    sadfas.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,335
Great!

Hey Vander!

Yeah...I've watched people receive my feedback enough to know it's really tougher to do than it is for me to put it together. I took the risk of using you as a "victim" for a l-o-n-g critique because in your posts I read an honesty and a willingness to see things as they are that I respect and value.

I like the potential in the back lat a lot. I like the mass and definition along the shoulders. I think you actually have a good bit more width than you're showing there. Try starting the pose with your hands all the way back with the thumbs touching your spine. Slowly let your hands slide along the back and into position, all the time "feeling" the lats stretch. Once you "know" how the lats feel when they're really flared, you won't need those preliminaries.

A couple of other little tricks. Once you have your hands in position, put the pressure on your knuckles to hold the hands in position and release the thumbs. Using the thumbs to hold your hands in position creates a "crease" in the skin along the lower back -- and that's a site that many judges look at to estimate the competitor's condition. I don't particularly like putting that much weight on that minor an area of the physique, but I know it's frequently the case. The other trick is to "tuck" your butt, i.e., rotate your pelvis forward -- this will further tighten up the skin in the lower back. When competitors stick their butt out in the back lat pose they often create loose skin that gives the appearance of not being so tight.

On the quarter turn, I think you can make your hams quite acceptable if you experiment with leg position and use the back leg to push out the ham on the front leg. Also, I think if you bring your arm forward a bit and "break" at the elbow, you can take better advantage of your arm development.

But...both these photos confirm (for me!) that you've got all the capacity in the world to do well.

I don't want to "poach" competitors from our Arizona District, but if you compete over there again, try to choose a show close to when we're having a show over here in So. Cal.!

Keep us posted on how you're doing and your progress! It should be inspirational for most of the guys reading these boards.

KenT

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
billions.must.lift
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner