over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Very high protein

jrock00123

Registered
I know the science says less than 1gm per pound of lean mass is all that is needed. However, personally I've found I need MUCH more. It may not even be that I need more protein, but that I can only handle a certain amount of fat and carbs with getting soft and watery. I'm eating around 3,500 kcal and keep fat around 90gm. I recently reduced my carb intake to 350gm and upped protein to 330gm. In just one week I've seen a noticeable difference.

I was using a fixed fat and protein model and letting carbs dictate the remainder. The idea was to set fat at 90gm and protein at 245gm and then raise or lower carbs depending on the goal. I'm now considering setting a max on carb intake and raising protein if I need more calories. I very well need to go to 400+gm at times to get the calories I need to grow.

One big caveat: I'm referring to my cruising period of 140mg test. On a blast I can crank the carbs up with zero issue.

If I eat 1 gram/pound and up calories in other macros I turn into a fat chick. Empirical evidence (in this case looking in the mirror) is a necessary component of the scientific method. I think we forget that sometimes.

It depends how high your carbs are when trying to determine your protein needs.

It depends how high your carbs are when trying to determine your protein needs.

I agree, but what I'm saying is that it's more beneficial to me to eat more protein than I need. At the end of the day we only have three choices when increasing calories: more cabs, protein, or fats. I find that I can only raise carbs and fat to a certain level before thing start getting ugly.

I like 300-350 protein these days. If I get to the end of the day and want some steak or Greek yogurt ill have it regardless even if it means I take in 500 protein. I'm a high carb guy but some days just crave protein more so cut back on the rice and up the chicken. Sine days in just real hungry and might hit 700 carbs and 400 plus protein. So long as my fstas stay below 50 I'm gtg

Last edited:
I eat 250-350 daily depending on how I feel.Red meat less as I digest it slower and feel to full.

I look more full and vascular while dieting on higher protein(2 grams per lb), but I worry about my kidneys at that dose. It's obvious the body isn't using it all as my urine is very foamy. But, I look much better. At a frequency of having 50 grams of protein every 2 hours, I look much better than having 50 grams every 3 hours, even at the same daily total caloric intake.

330g of protein is not even close to being "very high protein" in the bodybuilding world. Like others stated, by default of not wanting to eat TONS of carbs and fats you have to have it around there anyways. Until you hit 500g of protein or so I wouldn't really consider it high for a bodybuilder. I am not saying it's NEEDED or BETTER, but I don't think I have gone under 350g of protein in a day in 5 years...

I look more full and vascular while dieting on higher protein(2 grams per lb), but I worry about my kidneys at that dose. It's obvious the body isn't using it all as my urine is very foamy. But, I look much better. At a frequency of having 50 grams of protein every 2 hours, I look much better than having 50 grams every 3 hours, even at the same daily total caloric intake.

I think this is true. Last cut I was hitting 500 carbs and 220 protein and often geting very flat and depleted even with a 1000g carb reefed day once a week. The fat fel of real quick and I held muscle but sometimes looked shit in the process. I did feel great and found it easy to stick to though. Don't think I'd be able to double protein and half the carbs. Shame as I'd love to try it but my body dies on me with lower carbs and I'd never be able to hack it. As soon as I ramped protein up post diet I fulled out nice but it could have just been the calorie surplus as carbs went up too and I brought a little fat in. I might toy with doing it a few days a week next cut though to help with Indonesia sensitivity

Last edited:
330g of protein is not even close to being "very high protein" in the bodybuilding world. Like others stated, by default of not wanting to eat TONS of carbs and fats you have to have it around there anyways. Until you hit 500g of protein or so I wouldn't really consider it high for a bodybuilder. I am not saying it's NEEDED or BETTER, but I don't think I have gone under 350g of protein in a day in 5 years...

Agreed, Im in the 450 to 500 range per day. I carb cycle to meet goals and keep fat low.some of this is dictated by having IBS and no gall bladder, I find i just cant digest much fat, but i also look better this way

I was doing 250P - 400C - 75F and looking lean and tight but to try it out I swapped around the protein and carb intake so new macros 400P - 250C - 75F.

Noticed I got soft and watery with exact same calories by just swapping the macros (tried it for 8 weeks).

Not sure why...

Also I am natural so maybe a bit to much protein for body to use?

It's funny that sometimes you hear something that should be obvious, but for some reason it finally just clicks. The gurus keep recommending a gm per pound of body weight, but most (I know not all) of the big guys here are eating much more protein.

For now I plan on keeping carbs and fats where they are and slowly raise protein as I continue my winter lean bulk.

I was doing 250P - 400C - 75F and looking lean and tight but to try it out I swapped around the protein and carb intake so new macros 400P - 250C - 75F.

Noticed I got soft and watery with exact same calories by just swapping the macros (tried it for 8 weeks).

Not sure why...

Also I am natural so maybe a bit to much protein for body to use?

What are your carb sources? rice is a diuretic if that was a big carb source for you.

I know the science says less than 1gm per pound of lean mass is all that is needed. However, personally I've found I need MUCH more. It may not even be that I need more protein, but that I can only handle a certain amount of fat and carbs with getting soft and watery. I'm eating around 3,500 kcal and keep fat around 90gm. I recently reduced my carb intake to 350gm and upped protein to 330gm. In just one week I've seen a noticeable difference.

I was using a fixed fat and protein model and letting carbs dictate the remainder. The idea was to set fat at 90gm and protein at 245gm and then raise or lower carbs depending on the goal. I'm now considering setting a max on carb intake and raising protein if I need more calories. I very well need to go to 400+gm at times to get the calories I need to grow.

One big caveat: I'm referring to my cruising period of 140mg test. On a blast I can crank the carbs up with zero issue.

You can consume as much protein as you like, but keep in mind that the body can only absorb so much protein at once, which is why it is important to spread it out throughout the day. The 1 gram of protein per pound is really just a "base point" for anabolic growth, you can take in much more than that if you space your meals out properly. Not all protein sources have the same bioavailabilty or break down rate though, which is why shakes can be great to supplement meals, and keep that steady stream of protein coming in.

What are your carb sources? rice is a diuretic if that was a big carb source for you.

Jasmine rice, sweet potato, cream of rice or oats, glycofuse.

Was only taking in carbs pre-intra-post if that makes a difference.

50 pre
75 intra
275 post

Find that is best for me in terms of recovery and body composition.

Plus I enjoy eating a massive dinner after my workout.

You can consume as much protein as you like, but keep in mind that the body can only absorb so much protein at once, which is why it is important to spread it out throughout the day. The 1 gram of protein per pound is really just a "base point" for anabolic growth, you can take in much more than that if you space your meals out properly. Not all protein sources have the same bioavailabilty or break down rate though, which is why shakes can be great to supplement meals, and keep that steady stream of protein coming in.
Try to get most of your protein intake from your meals but I agree if you need a little more protein shakes will help. Sometimes at work you can't eat as often as you would like to at this point shakes is the way to go

Jasmine rice, sweet potato, cream of rice or oats, glycofuse.

Was only taking in carbs pre-intra-post if that makes a difference.

50 pre

75 intra

275 post

Find that is best for me in terms of recovery and body composition.

Plus I enjoy eating a massive dinner after my workout.

I tried shifting my carbs to mostly intra, but felt very bloated in the evenings. I think it is just too much in a short period of time for me.

I do better having about 25% at breakfast, 40% intra and then spreading the rest.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear