over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

WALKING LUNGES IN PLACE OF SQUATS?!?!?!

CYNDER_BLOCK

Banned
How many of you have built fantastic legs by doing heavy walking lunges in place of squatting?

How many of you have built great legs without squats all together?

Last edited:
Walking lunges are staple for my legs but so are squats but you could work around them if you had injurys but if you can you should

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

If an exercise constantly gives you issues you simply need to stop it. Even if it's squats which is one of the most effective exercises you can do. You can still build great legs without squats. Maybe you can do squats but just not the traditonal barbell on your back squats. Perhaps you could try kettleball squats on a platform. I don't know why you can't do squats or how bad is it so can't be specific. Perhaps ligtht weight squats are ok so you just set yourself a limit of weight you never go past.

If it's your lower back the main thing I recommend is just abusing yourself on a hack squat machine as you can pretty much go for it without fear your back is going to go at any second. Although there are so many effective leg exercises and walking lunges is another one of them. It's much better to make small progress and stay injury free then constantly going 2 steps forwards and 2 back because you continually injure yourself.

I am the same so for quads mainly concentrate on leg press, horizontal leg press, leg extensions, walking lunges, light weight squats etc. Whenever I train in a gym with a hack squat machine I use it.

I haven't done back squats for years and never will again, ever. I do a ton of one leg exercises and different types of squats though. My legs have always been a strong point on my physique and look much better now than when I did back squats.

Back squats are an exercise, they are not THE exercise. A good exercise yes, but not the end all be all of bodybuilding.

I used to squat 300-400lbs weekly for many years. If only I knew then what I know now I would have a lot less wear on my joints and still have the same muscle.

No heavy back squats for me.
I had both hips done several years ago, and I just don't feel comfortable doing heavy squats. I might go up to 205 once in a blue moon, but thats only if I can't get to the gym and have to do legs in my garage.
I prefer Leg Press, Hack Squats, Smith Squats, Goblet Squats, but then again I have the legs of a pre pubescent child.

Walking lunges did dick point shit for me as far as size was concerned. I had to concentrate too much on balance and not enough on the muscle contraction. I believe if you had no legs they would give you something more than nothing, but that's about it.

i had a partner back in the day that all he did was stationary lunges, and had very developed quads, he would only do squats once in a blue moon, if that often, he was very strong at lunges and weak with squats.

I'll agree with the above poster that it can be difficult to go to heavy do to balancing issues...However, I firmly believe most guys, and for myself for sure can build a better set of legs as far as the overall balance and shape they give to the leg and physiue, without thickening up the hips and or lower back too much to the point that it brings on a "blockier" type of physique. For that reason I've gravitated towards doing them in the smith, some guys might call it a 1 legged squat...I alternate legs, dropping one back at a time...Heavy squatting tends to overdevelope the upper thighs and hips at the expense of shape...haven't lost any size, but has improved the overall flow of my physique, as well as a few guys I've recommended them to...

Define fantastic legs.. I'm willing to bet no one has built "big legs" by just lunges. No way can you sub lunges for squats. Hacks, leg press yes.
I have yet to see anyone with a thick set of legs not go pretty damn heavy on either squats, hacks or presses.

How many of you here who don't squat would be willing to post pics of your leg development?

I'd appreciate it.

I haven't done back squats for years and never will again, ever. I do a ton of one leg exercises and different types of squats though. My legs have always been a strong point on my physique and look much better now than when I did back squats.

Back squats are an exercise, they are not THE exercise. A good exercise yes, but not the end all be all of bodybuilding.

I used to squat 300-400lbs weekly for many years. If only I knew then what I know now I would have a lot less wear on my joints and still have the same muscle.

Happen to have any pics?

Attachments

• 7-6-16 (1).jpg
    7-6-16 (1).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Squats first, then last is lunges forward and backwards, usually with some 25 or 35 pound DBs....definitely gets to burning all over that way

But my legs suck anyways lol

I was stuck working in Djibouti Africa for a year and the only gym we had access to was in the hotel which was a bunch of run down Nautilus stuff wth a leg press machine that went to 250 pounds. We did leg press , extensions and laying curls one leg at a time and lunges up the stairs for leg training

I certainly didn't grow any due to poor diet and supplies but I didn't lose any either. Three of our guys mad damn good gains though as they were novice lifter to start

I think as long as you are taxing the muscle enough you will see decent results

Pesty, great legs, period. Do you suppose that your sweep could be brought up through movements other than squatting?

Here is my current routine:

3 sets of standing leg curls
3 sets of abductors, 3 sets adductors
4 sets of reverse hammer strength hack squats
4 sets of different leg press machines ( I change machines every week)
3 sets of lying or sitting leg curls (might switch up to stiff leg deadlifts)

Last edited:

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner