over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Waxing Nostalgia: My First- and Best- Gym

myosin

Kilo Klub Member
I'm slowly getting ready to go workout and lately I've been thinking a lot about the first and still best gym I was ever a member at. You have to be careful not to romanticize the past and make it more than it was, but I have to say, my recollection is pretty dead on...

I went there from when I was a junior in HS to a couple years into college. It was simply called, "The Gym". It was in a 100 year old warehouse. Top floor was just one huge room, maybe 100x50 (?), with several huge windows for great natural lighting. It was simply all gray- light gray and dark gray. No fancy paint jobs. The only decoration was a bunch of old-school Arnie posters working out. The downstairs had a powerlifting platform, squat rack and bench that a couple of the competitive powerlifters used. The only cardio they had was one stationary bike. A couple years later they got a Schwyn Air-Dyne.

Upstairs had all the basic benches and machines you needed, old, but all in great shape. The pulleys- all smooth as butter. Plenty of dumbbells for all. The owner always took great care of the machines, and the members were expected to as well. Just one bathroom and one shower-stall. There were several weightlifting belts to use if you didn't have one or forgot yours.

There weren't many members, everyone knew everyone. While their was of course the occasional animosity amongst members, it was generally one of comradeship. None of the guys were really that "big" or "on" (though we had our share of a few big boys) but all had a serious passion to workout and get stronger. There wasn't a lot of "competition" amongst each, there was a lot of respect for the others guys progress and desire. There were no "pretty boys" in their gold gym shoes, in fact many of the guys came straight from work remaining in their work-boots and jeans. Everyone seemed to have an active interest in it- like each person thought it was there gym... no one left dumbbells lying around or bars loaded with weights. If they did, the owner gave them a gentle authoritative reminder to which the member never rebuffed.

The radio was open to anyone who wanted to bring their music, so long as it was hard, and always played loud. The majority of it was metal, and it wasn't hard enough, the guys would yell out their discontent and had to be changed. No juice bar, just an old 50's refrigerator with a lock on it and sport drinks.

Since the owner had a full-time job elsewhere and most of the members were blue-collar, the gym didn't open until 3pm. But, you could buy a key for a couple hundred dollars and workout any time you wanted. I worked there for a free membership so I would go there in the morning sometimes when no one was around, blasted the music, and could focus like crazy on my workout (and flex all I wanted to without feeling/looking like a goofball hahaha).

There was no air conditioning so in the summer all we could do was open the old huge loading dock door and open all those huge windows. No one really seemed to care that much though, they just wanted to workout.

Sadly, The Gym closed it's door many years back. It always had just enough members to squeek by the lease and machine repair costs. Slowly, some members would drift off to the more trendy new gym on the other side of town. A member might say, "Hey, so I guess Jim is now going to 'x-gym' to workout" and there would be a moment of letdown when the other person heard it- you almost felt betrayed. Over a couple years the drifting continued until The Gym just couldn't stay afloat.

So now I'm heading to my commercial gym, with it's gang-banger wannabe's. Where every guy seems to think he's the biggest and coolest. Where the club-boys work just the "show" muscles. I get to now listen to the kind of music you hear in a nightclub. Where everyone is there for themselves and there is little fellowship. Where the people work behind the counter are there more for each other than the members. Not many "hardcore" gyms around anymore.

Maybe I should watch a clip of Pumping Iron on YouTube before I go now.

Last edited:
Seems to be common for a lot of people now, the classic gyms are closing down and a lot of us have had to join commercial sized gyms, that have fancy machines in them, and fashion police :rolleyes:

i hear ya!!!

my first gym was called the pit. it was in the basement of a mini storage garage. it was dark,damp and always had loud heavy music playing. this was also a gym where you could buy a key and go whenever u wanted. it was prodominately a powerlifting gym with 3 benches, dead platform, monolift. and only a few select machines. had dumbells up to 180. i moved to a new area and havent even come close to being able to find a gym like that. in my area its full of fitness centers w pools, b-ball courts, raquetball, and juicebars. and only the machines ever get any use. its basically a meat market where under armour and your little bros t-shirts are all u see the guys wearing. and the females all in color coordinated matching outfits doing everything they can to not break a sweat so there makeup dont run. lol. man do i miss the pit!

Good story myosin.. Real nostalgic feel to it, even making me a bit sad the place had to shut down, lol.

Best gym I've ever been in was the high school weight room! We had one fancy machine, the rest were free weights. Play the music as loud as we wanted, wear what we wanted, and do whatever routine we wanted. People didn't give each other shit for how much they could or couldn't do. For being high school......we had a lot of mature people. Then again, only the serious people were there in the dead of summer!

After that I've only been able to find commercial places, which I absolutely hate! Doing deadlifts people think you're an idiot. The squat rack is never used, except for someone to do pull ups on instead of using the pull up bar right next to it. Heaven forbid you ever grunt! I can't stand screamers but having hundreds of pounds on your back, a little grunt is warranted on a last rep!

The new place I'm moving to has a gym nearby. We'll see how that goes. Doubt I'll last long there, I'm betting a bunch of preppy idiots go there and old people. Nothing wrong with that, just not my atmosphere.

haha

Good story myosin.. Real nostalgic feel to it, even making me a bit sad the place had to shut down, lol.

Thanks for the sympathy Ricky :) haha

Wow, that gym sounds familiar

I started training at a gym just like that right after high school and up until a year after I graduated college. I have searched high and low for a gym like that over the last 15 years and only in my travels have I stumbled on some that even remotely resemble it. There was a great beat up place in Buffalo, NY i found, a YMCA in Binghampton NY that was good a facility, but nothing compares to Prince's Gym in Canonsburg, PA. Sigh...I guess I'm off to my chrome plated machines and color coordinated benches now. Dammit.

One of the first gyms I joined was Vince's Gym in California. I was 19 and the year was 1974. I saw Rick Wayne and Lou Ferrigno there. I once saw Larry Scott at the Sizzler restaurant across the street. When the gym closed it broke my heart. It's a furniture store now. I drive by it all the time.

Vinces?!

One of the first gyms I joined was Vince's Gym in California. I was 19 and the year was 1974. I saw Rick Wayne and Lou Ferrigno there. I once saw Larry Scott at the Sizzler restaurant across the street. When the gym closed it broke my heart. It's a furniture store now. I drive by it all the time.

Nice! When I was 18 and thought I was "all-that" I called him to ask about going there to train for a month under him but I couldn't afford it (forgot how much it was).

I just called up his gym and said, "Hi, can I speak to Vince please?" 1 minute later he's on the phone, with his growling voice, testing me to see if I could stand up to his intimidation... I was intimidated :)

Nice! When I was 18 and thought I was "all-that" I called him to ask about going there to train for a month under him but I couldn't afford it (forgot how much it was).

I just called up his gym and said, "Hi, can I speak to Vince please?" 1 minute later he's on the phone, with his growling voice, testing me to see if I could stand up to his intimidation... I was intimidated :)

Ha ha, yeah I saw Vince there all the time but I never talked to him. I was scared! I just used the facilities, I wasn't trained by him. I liked it there but I was too young to appreciate the history of the place. Now it's gone... :(

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131