advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What's your opinions on the "cheating" principle?

bigkraut

Registered
I'm referring to advanced trainers here. Obviously, those at the novice or intermediate level probably should never do it. However, I've observed through the years this principle applied by advanced guys (pros included) with apparent success.

A few notes here. There are some exercises that obviously don't lend themselves to this. At least, I would feel uncomfortable breaking form with certain exercises for fear of injury.

I'm not talking about cheating a whole set. I'm talking about maybe using a little body english to finish the last couple of reps of a set when you're out of gas. You would use strict form for every rep you could, cheating only when you find yourself getting stuck at the end of the set.

I'm also talking about controled cheating. By that, I mean using a little momentum to break a sticking point when you're at the end of the set (and your energy reserves. lol). Just enough to get it moving and then transfer the emphasis back on the target muscle. I'm not talking about swinging the weight.

Do you think this is a viable method provided the experience and mind/muscle connection is there and you're able top do it under control?

In the past, I always avoided this technique. I would rather do rest pause, forced reps and negatives over any form of cheating. I was just wondering what you guys thought of this?

|--[\\\]>---------- I think it is ok, if it's not 'over doing it' i usually cheat some in a couple of exercises, like db or straight bar curls, up right rows, and my heaviest set of lateral raises, other than that, no real cheating.

this is my take

If your cheating on the last 2 reps of a 8-12 set than thats ok. If you have shitty form just to push weights to look good in the gym (so you think). All you end up doing is having a shitty physique and be the butt of every joke in the gym. You know who notices this more in the gym? Women!

Gotta cheat a few here and there .

I always think that cheating the last couple of reps is better than not doing them as long as you aren't "over doin' it" like BBA said. In other words it's ok to cheat the "right" way so to speak. Including what V said also, just here and there. Did I just repeat you guys???? lol

I think a little cheating helps with progession. What starts as a little cheat on the last couple of reps ends up becoming a heavier weight that you will eventually be able to use with good form. In other words, it makes you stronger if done properly. Cheating is good as long as no dishonesty is involved.

I feel it works good to cheat when I'm trying to add as much weight on the bar as possible when bulking up. I use it in this manner. I'm able to 65lbs dbs in bicep curls and want to get up to 72lbs dbls. I then take the 72lbs curls and use a belt and do like 3-4 cheat curls on each arm. Next week I take the 72dbs again and I'm able to do 6 normal curls on each arm. Just to inform this method has soon added 2" to my arms in 14 weeks, which has been my lagging bodypart.

Look at the pro's:they pretty much all cheat a lot (contrary to their 'articles').Big Ron is one of the worst - horrible form:great physique. :)

well....

it all depends on the your goal and what u r trying to accomplish. But I do believe that cheating is not much different then someone spotting u. Obviously in Bodybuilding u wanna keep the stress on the muscle group u r trying to isolate that day or training period, but cause of fatigue and amount of tension the weight is causing I dont believe a "cheating" method is a bad thing. Just make sure if u use that method use it on all muscle groups not just on curls day with the loaded ez curl bar. hehe
gooey

Yes I used to do it even more than now-to get over lulls in my training. Id up the weight a little and let the spottters help, soon hopefully I could handle the weight a bit better.
If you use only super strict form, on some exercises you have a severe leverage disadvantage and your strict form will be based on that range of the exercise. So, when your stick point can only handle, say, 100lb; and your
remaining range of motion (say 80-90% of the total range) can handle 125lb-if you cheat a little on the heavy set to get past that, your ENTIRE MUSCLE gets overload, not just the stick point.

i think that it is a good idea...however, ...most peopel do not use it properly...and start cheating from the start of the set...that is a complete waste of time...

i do think that ...drops sets, rest-pause are a safer and more effective way of extending the set however...

To push past plateaus with no spotter hell ya I love that. But if I have a spotter, I make sure he helps me with forced reps. But do not cheat on the first rep...last 2 cool..but first 2, you are looking at a world of hurt.

kraut

Bigkraut - I train alone for a good part of the time (my time is unpredictable but my last couple of partners have been more so) so I can't rely on having a decent spotter if I'm going past failure.

I use controlled cheating on some exercises, sometimes, sparingly. No dramas. It is basically just a forced rep if done right. Things like bar curls, shoulder presses (if you use a bit of a bounce or momentum), some cable work, calves... obviously not quad work and I don't go that way for back. And only after I find the point of failure.

Prefer to use rest-pause myself, but sometimes when not training that style I'll cheat out two reps, or do two partials, etc.

IronMike

IronMike said:
Bigkraut - I train alone for a good part of the time (my time is unpredictable but my last couple of partners have been more so) so I can't rely on having a decent spotter if I'm going past failure.

I use controlled cheating on some exercises, sometimes, sparingly. No dramas. It is basically just a forced rep if done right. Things like bar curls, shoulder presses (if you use a bit of a bounce or momentum), some cable work, calves... obviously not quad work and I don't go that way for back. And only after I find the point of failure.

Prefer to use rest-pause myself, but sometimes when not training that style I'll cheat out two reps, or do two partials, etc.

IronMike

This is why I polled professional muscle on this topic. I wouldn't want to touch principles such as this on boards with a lot of noobs because "controlled" is the operative word here. I would think at least 5 years of training experience would be a prerequisite for using a technique as advanced as this. I'd hate to think some guy with 2 weeks of training experience would think that I would endorse this in his case. I know the demographic here is different than most everywhere else. Far greater base of experience here than anywhere else I post.

On a side note, I think that HammerStrength (and equipment similiar to it) has been a god send for those of us that like training beyond failure. On days where I don't have a partner, I often use such equipment. It allows me to safely go to that "place" we like to take our training. It makes rest/pause, forced reps, drop sets, negatives, partials, you name it, a lot safer. Looking at gym pics of Dorian using that equipment years back inspired me to start using it. It's some of the best equipment around (next to free weights ;) ).

I use cheating but only on a few choice exercises to handle more weight tro get stronger and bigger alittle quicker. I only cheat on heavy barbell rows, heavy barbell curls or sometimes on seated cable rows.
I feel I get past sticks points with the weight when I cheat some to get more reps or handle more weight than I normally do.
On the flip side some things like lat pulldowns if I do go strict and cheat in my form I don't feel it AT ALL, I'm like "That was a waste" o I guess it does depend on what your doing.

Up until last tuesday I was a manager at the gym Kamili trains at and I got a chance to talk to him, watch him train and train with him a few times. He does train super strict either. He actually told on guy that trains with him his form is holding him back cause it is TOO strict.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws