over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

YOU got no legs dude

I like training legs... id like it a whole hell of a lot more if my knees didn't kill me on free squats and I was more flexible

my half-a-calves are holding me back tho lmao :eek:

Why do you still squat if it kills your knees? IMO this will greatly advance arthritis so one day you don't have to squat to enjoy the knee pain.

Dorian did leg press only after injuring his hip. As far as I know he did not squat at all during his Mr.O years.

You can still build legs without squats.

How tall are you? Because over a certain height, I don't care what anyone says ('you can always learn how to squat correctly' etc...), squats are just not ideal leg builders. If you're short and stocky, by all means squat away and let it be the best leg exercise there is. If you're taller, go leg press imo.

The (heavy) vertical loading when squatting and deadlifting is also not ideal for long term spine health.

Not the most hardcore opinion but in BB'ing, hardcore is often synonymous with stupid.

This x10.

Leg training sucks. It's super painful if done hard, taxes your system and burns your lungs to a crisp.

Most guys sit on a bell curve, they don't build muscle easily. Building half your lower body thus requires both more work/intensity and less ROI in terms of attention from others...

No wonder most guys don't do it or half ass it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

What do you mean by this?

Love the comparisons to the pros. Especially Dorian did this or that.

When we look in the mirror. It’s not Dorian who we see. There was only one Dorian. Neither one of us is or will be him.

Love the comparisons to the pros. Especially Dorian did this or that.

When we look in the mirror. It’s not Dorian who we see. There was only one Dorian. Neither one of us is or will be him.

?

Why do you still squat if it kills your knees? IMO this will greatly advance arthritis so one day you don't have to squat to enjoy the knee pain.

Dorian did leg press only after injuring his hip. As far as I know he did not squat at all during his Mr.O years.

You can still build legs without squats.

i dont squat :eek:

A lot of people not working out legs in this thread lmao. I understand not competing and working out your legs at maybe 70% but not hitting them at all is just plain silly. Plus most people see your calves and they are no where near as taxing as compound leg movements so....no excuse for that one lol

I just have to mention this. I have about four guys in my gym that really have well developed upper bodies. You guys know who I'm talking about. Most gyms are filled with folks that are going to look the same way they walked in the door year after year. Then you have these "gym rats" that kick it up a few notches and build muscle hammering gear, most are mermabulkers.
Then you have a small group of guys that really look good from the waste up. They literally do ZERO work on there legs...…..none...…...zippo. What do you think they see looking in a mirror? Some of these guys are in there five nights a week. What are they thinking? They always give me a big wave as they walk by as if they're "getting the job do" just like me I guess? I smile back but just can't get by the huge flaw in they're shape that they created. Being in NJ it brings truth to the Jersey boy joke about them never having legs.

OK, I'm done with my rant...…..

they probably still want to be able to fit into those lame ass skinny jeans or hipster pants that look very feminine IMO. I think Kanye West has made alot of bad fashion choices popular with males these days. I see lots of dudes wearing tight ass pants and it's such a bad look.

They can see either the loose or tight jeans/ whatever you wearing.

Yeah, you can tell who doesn't squat and work lower body because they have on jeans that sag in the ass, all empty fabric just hanging.

Doesn’t matter if your competitive or not. If you have a developed upper and don’t train legs hard. You just look stupid especially in jeans. Girls don’t wanna see that shit naked either

How tall are you? Because over a certain height, I don't care what anyone says ('you can always learn how to squat correctly' etc...), squats are just not ideal leg builders. If you're short and stocky, by all means squat away and let it be the best leg exercise there is. If you're taller, go leg press imo.

The (heavy) vertical loading when squatting and deadlifting is also not ideal for long term spine health.

Not the most hardcore opinion but in BB'ing, hardcore is often synonymous with stupid.

I'm 6'5 and my only leg work is 3 sets of back squats per week. That's all it's been for years. In a caloric surplus my legs will grow with this volume, and at the very least will maintain. Certainly not ideal, but my legs are almost disproportionately large, and I hate training them anyway.

agree very much with the second point, though

I love training legs and always have. Men train legs. Boys don't. Simple as that. Trash me if you will. Guys don't do it because it hurts and their pansy asses can't take the pain. You can be damn sure if training them wasn't so uncomfortable and still got results then guys would do it. Plus the incredible anabolic effect from serious squats is without question. That benefits your upper body as well. Its a win win.

Doesn’t matter if your competitive or not. If you have a developed upper and don’t train legs hard. You just look stupid especially in jeans. Girls don’t wanna see that shit naked either

I haven't trained my legs at all in 15 years now...and they are 28 inches. They look fine in jeans and I don't look disproportionate at all. Arnold's legs were 28.5 inches a their largest...and I don't think he looked "stupid", regardless of whether he was clothed or not.

I got on a leg press about 2 years ago just to see how my strength levels had held up after 13 years of no training...and I could still do 10 deep reps with 9 plates...with perfect form. Although that's certainly not a lot of weight for a heavier bodybuilder, I still routinely see young bodybuilders busting their asses on leg day, who use less weight than I can even after all these years of not training my legs.

I hear way more negative comments from women about guys with monstrous legs (girls almost universally HATE men with huge, muscular legs) than guys with normal sized legs. If you want to appeal to women, then you need to ditch the bodybuilder look entirely, as only a small percentage of women prefer that look. Most prefer the fitness model type, which includes legs that are usually small by bodybuilding standards, but lean and athletic.

But...there are a LOT of people out there whose primary purpose for training has nothing to do with women. It usually only the younger, less mature guys who train for that reason. Typically, older guys are more self-assured and have a better understanding of female attraction in general...and being that I am one of those older guys (42), I can tell you with absolute certainly that one's body is not the most important factor in female attraction, nor is it the 2nd, or 3rd, or probably even the 4th thing on their list. And when it comes to having big legs, it is so far outside of their priority list that the vast majority never even consider such a thing.

So, it just seems kind of funny to me when you say men look stupid if they don't train their legs and girls don't find it attractive...because in most cases that isn't true at all. Women, by and large, prefer lean (but not too lean), athletic looking men.

Obviously, anyone who wants to bodybuild competitively is going to have to be proportionate (according to day's standards), so it would make zero sense for an aspiring bodybuilder to half-ass (or skip) leg training.

On the other hand, most of the guys we see in gyms aren't competitive bodybuilders, nor do they have the desire to be. Today, the goals people set through weight training are more diverse than ever...and many have zero ambition to build a physique according to modern bodybuilding standards/proportions.

Personally, I prefer the proportions of the 70's and 80's over those of today...by a long shot, yet those proportions (which were considered the competitive ideal at that point in time) would attract harsh criticism in today's line-up.

Today, there are a lot of non-competitive "bodybuilders" (i.e. people who use weights to build muscle in ways that appeal to them/ are in line with their personal goals, and I don't think this is something we should criticize. Yes, I personally think it looks odd to see someone with extreme upper-body development and zero leg development (that doesn't happen to often), but keep in mind that what might be considered ""ideal" proportions will vary according to the individual.

For example, Big Ramy had proportions which were good enough to earn him 3rd place in the toughest bodybuilding show on the planet, yet the average person will look at his upper-legs (relative to his calves and even in comparison to his upper-body) and think his proportions are horribly distorted. Even according to bodybuilding standards in the 70's and 80's, his lower body would be considered horribly unbalanced, yet he placed 3rd in the world in 2017.

Today, Arnold and Haney would be considered disproportionate (their legs in particular), yet in their day they were considered the best proportioned (or among the best proportioned) competitors in all of bodybuilding.

Competitive bodybuilding aside, many guys have completely different goals altogether, so we can't really penalize them if they don't care about building big legs...or if their legs are under-developed according to bodybuilding standards. Today my primary ambition is armwrestling, which requires me to train many upper-body muscle hard, but not legs...and I am OK with that. To each their own.

Simply for health, everyone should train their legs. When you are older, your arms will not be those that break, they will be your hips, and that can lead you to an operation, and to various complications that are often fatal.

The squat is the best exercise of all, do it to 5 or 40 repetitions with lightweight, but do it.

Who cares if someone trains legs or not.. Personal choice

Many people in the gym are not bodybuilders, some may train legs at home perhaps, some don't respond to leg training no matter what (that's me), and some have knee and other problems that prevent them from training legs.

Take me for example, it's very painful for me to train legs using weights, because my knees hurt a lot and I mean hurt. So I do weightless squats, granted they might seem skinny, but they are very defined and muscular nevertheless, but you can't tell if I'm wearing pants.

However I am not a bodybuilder either.

I know few people who are martial artists and they don't want their legs to grow too big.

No pro here, so I train for what works best for me and my life and at age 51, I still seek the maximum attention from the females that I can get. For me that’s having a well defined and built upper body and doing all I can to stay young looking. Legs does not play a big role in that for me. I do work my legs, but admit it’s minimal. I keep them bulked up to a degree, but never go past a point.

Also, I have occasional lower back issues and the last five times it’s went out for a few weeks, was from doing heavy presses or squats. So I have to avoid those now. I can get away usually with things like hack squats leg extensions and leg curls. So I burnout on those once a week to maintain.

my legs before i started at a gym were 24" then after a couple years they were a tad over 27.
i looked better when they were smaller. so now i keep em around 25.5in.
but, when i start on em again, like i did early this year, in 3 weeks they're back over 26.
they grow really easy with leg presses and high rep extensions but my knees get tendonitis quick when i'd go heavy.
now i use high tension bike intervals and hiking as my leg day. no knee pain. better proportions to my narrowish upper body.
and yeah, its always dudes who are impressed by all that swishing sound when huge legs go by.
chicks in general dont give a shit. most ass i ever got was when i was skinny and lean.

I used to Love training Legs...Squatting over 600,,,negetives with 800.
Incredible endurance from wheeling Concrete all day and just good genetics..
They never really grew into so-called Bodybuilder size!
Luckily I have Kept some of the Size.
Just turned 50 and with Half a hamstring those days are Gone.
Still most think I still have Great symmetry and don't believe I have not trained them in 5 yrs!

Last edited:

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner