over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Partial rotator cuff tear - seeking alternative treatments

NY Muscle

FOUNDING Member / Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
A little background. Tore my left rotator and had surgery I think in late 2000/early 2001 arthroscopic surgery. If I can recall that far back it was the supraspinatus tear and also ac joint was shaved done or something like that, bone spurs etc.

Then in 2005ish I had right shoulder done for a torn labrum also arthroscopic. Both surgeries took about 4 weeks before I was back in the gym but back in the gym meant just bench pressing the bar or like 20lb dumbbells.

Now I have been having issues with the left shoulder again, (keep in mind I have not done flat bench with a bar since 2003) been doing ART that has helped a ton but the last week has just gotten worse and the ART is only helping so much. Had an MRI and its a partial tear. I do not know the full details but I will know tomorrow when I see my orthopedist.

I'm tired of these surgeries and just cant have another month or so where I really can't use my arm, have 3 young kids running around and too much going on with the family and my business as well as from a selfish standpoint...doing real damn good in the gym lately and this is the last thing I need, another set back. So I am seeking alternative healing methods.

I researched Prolotherapy back in 2000 when it was 1st popular and I had my 1st shoulder injury but it was too new. My 2nd surgery on my right shoulder in 2005 I just went and had surgery because it was my labrum and pretty bad.

Prolozone Therapy (seems to be better than prolotherapy) and I found a Dr who does it and its pretty cheap for the injections, read some promising things online but who knows.

Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy - Almost had this done on my eyes believe it or not for very dry eyes but they got better on their own but my eye dr was young and up on all the new therapies. Not sure if this will do much.

I think it all comes down to - can a partial tear actually heal without surgery? Not looking to do things that lessen pain or work other muscles that will support that area though I do and will keep doing these things but if alternative therapies do not actually heal/repair the tear than I think I will just have to figure out when to do the surgery because I think we all know it will just get worse.

I am usually the one helping everyone friends in the gym and people around me avoid surgery by having them avoid the injury with proper exercise and getting ART and chiropractic adjustments as often as they can but this time I am beyond that for myself and looking for other ideas. Open to any experiences, suggestions here, thanks.

A move I do for pre hab of the rotators may help as rehab.

Get a very light band one of the smallest easiest.

Loop one end about knee to thigh height around a power rack support then stand away from the rack with the band running up your back and over your shoulder.

Grab the top loop in your hand whilst your arm is 90 degrees then simply pull down slowly as if you were arm wrestling and then slowly.

Hope that explanation makes sense. I'll try to find a video

Loop one end about knee to thigh height around a power rack support then stand away from the rack with the band running up your back and over your shoulder.

Grab the top loop in your hand whilst your arm is 90 degrees then simply pull down slowly as if you were arm wrestling and then slowly.

Yeah I think I know that movement. I'm going to start doing things at home know all the time, right now I just do it in the gym 3 times a week.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

If you could find a video it would be greatly appreciated. Battling shoulder problem here. I have got some relief from some TB500. Mine only hurts doing a pushing motion ( benchpressing) relatively pain free doing a pulling motion ( rows and pulldowns) . It really sucks since my bench had been going real well.

If you could find a video it would be greatly appreciated. Battling shoulder problem here. I have got some relief from some TB500. Mine only hurts doing a pushing motion ( benchpressing) relatively pain free doing a pulling motion ( rows and pulldowns) . It really sucks since my bench had been going real well.

Did you get an MRI? I'm not a fan of surgery but if its really bad an MRI will tell you. I'm going to make an appointment to see the Dr who does prolozone injections and see what he thinks.

Never heard of TB500 but just looked it up and seems interesting. How long are tiu doing it? From one log I read I'm wondering if all it ends up being is a strong anti inflammatory which I'm trying to stay away from unless its something like curcumin or other more natural anti inflammatory.

It's late and I'm beat so I didn't read the whole post. But don't underestimate physical therapy with a good therapist. Also prolotherapy and PRP can help partial tears.

I also have a partial thickness rotator cuff tear in my left shoulder that I have been dealing with since June, not fun. After trying cortisone and a little rest to no avail, the first surgeon I saw wanted to cut me. I decided to get a 2nd opinion to try and avoid surgery, and after reading my MRI, he told me he was very confident PT would get me back to where I needed to be (based on the degree of tear, which I think was only 3-4mm thickness).

I work in the medical field, and have always been very skeptical about PT, but after 4 weeks of PT and ABSOLUTELY 100% laying off ANY overhead movements, chest movements, or shoulder movements, my shoulder feels as good as it has since June.

If you want, you can PM me ur email addy and I can scan and send you some of the exercises they have me doing. The interesting thing about my injury and pain associated with it is, according to my PT, more related to scapular stabilization than actual tendon injury. A lot of the stuff he has me doing is for scapular stabilization, and the muscle memory of teaching myself how to stabilize my shoulder properly is helping a LOT!

Let me know if you would like me to shoot you some info.

By the way, I have also had a labrum repair 10 years ago from a baseball injury (was a pitcher) while i was playing college ball. Like you, I do not want to go through surgery again.

In the past a couple of cortisone shots would work. Had a couple of shots this summer didn't really help. Took a little time off that didn't workout to well either.
Tried the tb500 for a month it seemed to help some. I guess it is time for a MRI. Afraid what it will find - don't want the knife.

Last edited:
Bro - surgeons RARELY do surgery for a partial rotator cuff tear. What exactly does the MRI say? Most partial thickness tears heal on their own. PRP into the injured tissue can help, but the key is rest for a little bit and then slowly starting a rehab protocol. Most of the time rotator cuffs are repaired when it's a full thickness tear. For partials, they might debride the tear to clean the edges and induce a better healing response, but that's never a first choice.

fitnesskatz

take this with a grain of salt,,but im a CSCS 80% needs surgery,,,i feel you,,,ive had it along with other joint and tendon/ligament injuries shit man im taped up like a mummy plus at 42yrs old i may step off sidewalk pull a muscle for 2 weeks,,,but i will say i have seen really good P.T's do some amazing shit,,,my ex wife was a very good one her best friends dog had a stroke they took this dog to texas A and M best vet school in u.s. they said put him asleep,,,my ex worked with that dog for bout 8 weeks doing hydrotherapy and got him id say 75-80% maybe more,,,point is never underestimate i do hope it works out for you though i know what you going thru

Last edited:
Thanks for the input all. Will go over MRI findings with Dr tomorrow and see what he recommends and ill tell him what alternative treatments I'm seeking on my own. Will report back.

Gh, tb500, cortisone, and rotator cuff exercises I'm just coming back from a injury to my right cuff a had to stop lifting for a while mainly because of being in a wheelchair I have to use them all the time also any aas that helps you retain water will help with the pain and keep size on while healing

Update...
Doc said its partial but really can't tell how bad. He said if he goes in and its not too bad then he can just clean it up and not have to detach the tendon and repair it. If it's bad then he has too. Also said I have some spurs he'd shave down.

He said they do the blood platelet injections but said they are $800 each and kinda shrugged it off like it may not even work.

I told him about prolozone (very inexpensive and he agreed for the cost it can't hurt to try) and tb500 etc and said I should go for it, do some PT and if better then all good or I can go back in a month or so and talk about surgery.

He said he doesn't see anything that requires we do surgery right away but in my opinion if it doesn't get better with these other methods than I guess that's what we will have to do.

I'm here now waiting on a cortisone shot...then going to look into that tb500.

Cortizone can weaken ligaments and tendons but will make it fell better temporarily. The platlet injections are PRP. They can work but everything is a role of the dice. If i were to get PRP i would search for a doc that does them frequently.

Here watch this video reasonable vid for rotator work.

Take a look at this video on YouTube:

[ame=http://youtu.be/xlIt1UfkKF4]Shoulder Stabilizers: Rotator Cuff - Both Internal and External Rotation.MOV - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my iPad

ART (Active Release Technique) can work wonders. I have had shoulder surgery and shaving of the bones as well and when my other shoulder had issues I tried ART since it was offered free through work. Very skeptical at first but as time went on it was very helpful and I can have not had to have any work done. My daughter is a competitive cheerleader and she tore her elbow and had a total UCL tear and was to have Tommy John surgery. Got her in asap to the ART doc and in 3 weeks she was tumbling again. The body will heal itself if given time.

ART (Active Release Technique) can work wonders. I have had shoulder surgery and shaving of the bones as well and when my other shoulder had issues I tried ART since it was offered free through work. Very skeptical at first but as time went on it was very helpful and I can have not had to have any work done. My daughter is a competitive cheerleader and she tore her elbow and had a total UCL tear and was to have Tommy John surgery. Got her in asap to the ART doc and in 3 weeks she was tumbling again. The body will heal itself if given time.

I've been doing ART for years and whenever the shoulders get a little funky it gets me back on track for a few months but it just got to a point where its becoming too problematic and now have the partial tear but ill still be going. Actually have an appointment tomorrow.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to pm a good place to get tb500, there are so many sources (I don't order stuff online) that I have no clue where to start or what is a good company to get it from. Thanks.

have you tried cold laser? other than that all i can think is ultrasound therapy.

Its going to take alot of down time for a tear to heal and it most likely won't heal fully. I have heard of guys lifting with labrum tears but rotator tears are different.

I have had surgeries on both shoulders and it sucks. I had bone spurs and not tears though and I spent thousands on alternative crap to avoid surgery. in the end I should have just spent the $250 co-pay I had for the surgery and been done with it.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatgazer
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131