mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Knee replacement surgery ... Sucks fyi..

LATS

Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
Staff member
Registered
Well I'm 2 weeks past my total knee replacement surgery.. All went well.. The knee was a mess.. I was the youngest candidate this hospital ever did at 47.. I even have to learn to walk a bit too based on how deformed the knee joint had become..Here is the kicker and how sick we bodybuilders are in the head.. This knee has made leg training I,possible for mant years.. I could only do abd/abb machine and plateloaded reverse hyper machine.. That's it.. And that was rarely..
So today I enter rehab and after some very painful stretching and therapy they put me on a horizontal keg press with very light weight and asked me to do 3 sets of 30.. My leg got so pumped I was amazed lol..
So I have another three weeks of pain in rehab ECT and then can actually start to strengthen it.. The sick thing is I know heavy training is out.. But I am really looking firward to even lighter giant sets and different techniques just to get some legs in.. They always grew easy so I don't need heavy weights just good intensity techniques with lighter weights.. I brought this up to my dr and said " what kind of limitations I'm I expecting?" He just smiled and said " make things feel heavier than they are.. Your not a powerlifter.. You know what to do.. Go live your life" ... So in about a month all the leg equipment that I had to put in storage is coming back out.. Looking forward to not having the pain anymore and easing back into my favorite bodypart to train.. Getting that leg pump today was like Christmas morning at 12 years old ...;)

Lats,

Sorry to hear, hope your rehab goes well. You could always post some more storytime with Lats while you are rehabbing. j/k

I do hope that things go well with your rehab, always enjoyed reading your posts.

Ya 47 is young for that for sure

After u get rehabed and ready for light weights possible occlusion training will get you ur growth kickn in gear again. U can get the elastic straps off of amazon.. they wory well with lighterweights and higher reps.. hope all heals great for you sir.. pro

Lats,

Sorry to hear, hope your rehab goes well. You could always post some more storytime with Lats while you are rehabbing. j/k

I do hope that things go well with your rehab, always enjoyed reading your posts.

Well I'm off for the next 2 weeks.. I have some stories I never brought forth.. Looks like I have time for them now.. Look for one tomorrow night..;)

Damn LATS I had no idea. It sounds like you got yourself off to a good start! I know how enthusiastic one can feel during rehab and then training but just make sure you don't get ahead of yourself and sabotage your recovery...the weights will always be there!! Anyway, congrats and have fun getting back at it!

I should look this up but you probably can explain it better. How do they attach tendons, ligaments etc. to titanium or whatever metal/composite it is. Just makes my mind weird how they make this thing work with your natural tissue.

Well, the bad news is that knee surgery, but the good news is more cool stories :cool:

Good luck with your recovery, but remember knee replacements are not designed to last forever and the harder you push them, the sooner they need to be replaced again. My grandfather had 3 replacements in his life, 2 in his 60's and one redone in his 80's. The second time around they are meant to last even less time, more prone to coming unsecured from the bone.

I'm 37 and being assessed for double knee replacement in the next couple years. Had problems since 13 years old and major surgery on both knees at 18.

Do you know what brand/model of joint they used?
All the best, keep us updated.

Boxer they used the stryker brand.. The model was the triathlon model.. Baldnazi the year actually remove the ends but never encounter the ligaments.. I watched the surgery after.. It's a brutal surgery.. But the surgeon was great.. I had extensive bruising and bleeding which held up rehab a bit.. But besides the surgical pain I am able to finally straighten my knee out all the way for the first time in 6 years.. The dr said it was the worst he'd seen.. Nothing left..my legs were bow legged severely because of it.. They straightened them out and because they were bio mechanically " off" for so long the real pain is one side being stretched and straightened.. My hamstrings are finally " right" and my calf is functioning correctly..

The good thing is with the implants they can remove the worn pieces and replace when need and it's not a very invasive procedure.. So in 15 or 20 years ( who knows) they can replace the " cartilage " and leave the rest in tact..

Bio my BRUTHA I hear Ya.. No training for another 4 weeks.. Nothing but rehab and getting my leg functional.. ;) even then it will be very moderate.. Don't wanna repeat this for quite some time..

Thanks for the response brother, it freaks me out. I don't envy you for going through it but happy you will be all good from now on. All the best to you my friend, speedy recovery...

Lats,

I hope your road to recovery continues to go well. Like others said, don't sabotage your way back to good health. Congrats on the new bionic knees. :headbang:

gluck with your recovery, when you start hitting the weights take it slow!! I have been thru surgery/rehab, and for the average person they have to be pushed to do enough, but for people like us it is usually the opposite, we have to slow ourselves down.

Sounds like you had an awesome surgeon. It's absolutely amazing - the things they can do when you think about it. A great surgeon is like a scientist - puzzle master - artist - conductor all in one.

I hope all continues to go well - you are going to feel a lot like a brand new BB - but along with that newb excitement and motivation you will have the knowledge of a vet!!

Glad you got that behind you and are on your way back. Feels damn good to move!

out of all the joints the knee is one I would not hesitate to have replaced if it was affecting my every day quality of life. Easy procedure. not many complications. Doesnt fail very often or loosen. Rehab works well and within a few months will be better then ever.

Thanks guys.. Always appreciate the support.. It is truly amazing to see the strides in orthopedics these days.. The differences in replacements and procedures from even 5 years ago are amazing..

Having a joint replaced can be a real bummer. Buy it sounds like you are making the best of it. Attitude and expectations are what help define a successful surgery. Good luck!

Good luck on a speedy, problem free recovery Lats. The time it lasts can vary because that artificial cartilage is implanted into the bones on each side of the joint and the body will slowly try to reject the foreign material. Take it easy on the new equipment.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatgazer
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131