over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Different Look from Food Sources?

swim15

Registered
I'll be the first to always say that IIFYM, in my personal experience, is bullshit. Had way too many times prepping where I've been able to add calories in order to decrease weight among other things I've seen with myself.

However, I've been noticing that different food sources, specifically carbs, change the way I look and lose fat given the total macronutrients quantities and ratios are still the same. For example, I've done periods of experimentation where I'll use oats or rice or potatoes as sole carb sources for a period of time and, obviously other factors come into play, but I've seen enough consistency between food sources to make it qualitatively apparent to me.

This is obviously a qualitative comparison as well as anecdote but was curious if anyone else had had similar personal experiences.

Yup, some foods you'll digest better, absorb better which in turn will prevent bloating/distention and make you look better.

If you can absorb a type of food better, you can eat more of it without discomfort and continue to put on size (this is keeping food allergies from eating the same things in mind).

Ex. If I eat whole wheat bread all day, I don't feel particularly well and look like dogshit. If I eat ezekial bread, it's the opposite.

Unfortunately one can only learn this through trial and error.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I'll be the first to always say that IIFYM, in my personal experience, is bullshit. Had way too many times prepping where I've been able to add calories in order to decrease weight among other things I've seen with myself.

However, I've been noticing that different food sources, specifically carbs, change the way I look and lose fat given the total macronutrients quantities and ratios are still the same. For example, I've done periods of experimentation where I'll use oats or rice or potatoes as sole carb sources for a period of time and, obviously other factors come into play, but I've seen enough consistency between food sources to make it qualitatively apparent to me.

This is obviously a qualitative comparison as well as anecdote but was curious if anyone else had had similar personal experiences.

I think it's just a temporary look after eating it

Respect the opinion as you need to find what works best for you but complete opposite stance for me and not bullshit at all. Funny because I seem to look and feel my best following IIFYM how it's intended to be (with 80-90% whole, all natural and micronutrient dense foods with 10-20% more processed, less nutritionally dense foods).

All my proteins and fats usually stay with healthy sources like chicken, turkey, fish, eggs/whites, occasional extra lean beef and fats being from the fish, eggs, coconut oil and avocados.

But when I eat 100% of my carbs from oats, rice, fruits and veggies, I'll get a distended stomach and issues with digestion. When I sub out a few of those carbs for some rice crispy treats, breads, and low fat cereals, my body stays a lot tighter and everything digests a little better.

To each his own though.

Respect the opinion as you need to find what works best for you but complete opposite stance for me and not bullshit at all. Funny because I seem to look and feel my best following IIFYM how it's intended to be (with 80-90% whole, all natural and micronutrient dense foods with 10-20% more processed, less nutritionally dense foods).

All my proteins and fats usually stay with healthy sources like chicken, turkey, fish, eggs/whites, occasional extra lean beef and fats being from the fish, eggs, coconut oil and avocados.

But when I eat 100% of my carbs from oats, rice, fruits and veggies, I'll get a distended stomach and issues with digestion. When I sub out a few of those carbs for some rice crispy treats, breads, and low fat cereals, my body stays a lot tighter and everything digests a little better.

To each his own though.

to be fair, thats not IIFYM
thats bb lifestyle with some simple sugars

Sweet potatos for the natural look
Potatos,steak,heavy cream for the thick mentzer look
Pie filling for the 90s look
And muffins for the current superfreak build

Or carb source doesn't affect fat loss or anything else and something else changed for you to see different results

On the contrary brother, that's exactly what IIFYM was founded on. It was first "coined" in a super old bodybuilding (dot) com forum because people were discussing if they could add things like a little syrup or pb to their shakes or oatmeal on a diet.

One guy (can't remember his name but Layne Norton has mentioned it before) chimed in and said that a small amount of syrup won't break your diet, as long as it fits into your daily macros.

Eventually, it became a popular enough idea that the forums started using IIFYM instead. But it was originally conceptualized as a diet that was mainly whole foods, adding in small amounts of "junk" when the macros allowed for it.

The current trend for IIFYM people associate it with on social media being tons of junk food with chicken and protein shakes is not IIFYM. At least not what it's supposed to be.

To each his own though.
Exactly the "diet"/eating habits I've adopted. Yes, it's much easier to adhere to and is much more enjoyable. Also allows some wiggle room if you're out for a social gathering. You can at least come close to your macro targets for the day and still enjoy a meal out with the family or some friends, etc.

This is actually the way IIFYM was originally designed until a bunch of yahoos got ahold of it and molded it into the mindf*** that it is now. These particular folks decided to go, "Hey, let's so how much nutrition-less, processed junk I can fit into my macronutrient allotment today!" Lol. They're the ones that give flexible dieting such a bad rap.

Its main purpose is to allow freedom from the "bro foods only" do or die lifestyle of the past. Proponents of flexible dieting that understand nutrition suggest an 80/20 rule in that 80% of the diet be comprised of wholesome, unprocessed foods, whereas roughly 20% can be "cheat" style foods. As long as one hits fiber requirements, micronutrients for the day, and maintains proper hydration, there is nothing wrong with the 80/20 rule.

Just wanted to share my opinion of the whole topic :).

On the contrary brother, that's exactly what IIFYM was founded on. It was first "coined" in a super old bodybuilding (dot) com forum because people were discussing if they could add things like a little syrup or pb to their shakes or oatmeal on a diet.

One guy (can't remember his name but Layne Norton has mentioned it before) chimed in and said that a small amount of syrup won't break your diet, as long as it fits into your daily macros.

Eventually, it became a popular enough idea that the forums started using IIFYM instead. But it was originally conceptualized as a diet that was mainly whole foods, adding in small amounts of "junk" when the macros allowed for it.

The current trend for IIFYM people associate it with on social media being tons of junk food with chicken and protein shakes is not IIFYM. At least not what it's supposed to be.
Bah, beat me to it by mere minutes! Lol

Bah, beat me to it by mere minutes! Lol

Haha no worries man. Your response was spot on and definitely agree with it. Think too many people never look at one what actual foundation of it was.

When they do, they just say it's a bodybuilding/bro food diet with some added processed foods. Funny thing is that that's what it was always supposed to be. Not so much a diet as just a means to allow some flexibility into a traditionally mundane diet.

Everyone's different. It all boils down to carbohydrate sensitivity.

Example: anyone who's gotten pretty lean for a show knows that for the next few months your body is a fine tuned machine, meaning your carb sensitivity is high as hell. And you can keep it going as long as you want if you keep your diet clean.

After a show I can eat a my pre workout meal an hour before my workout and 45 mins later I'm going hypo, I eat a freakin white bagel and my veins are blowing out of my skin.

When your lean your body is very sensitive to the foods you eat and I also believe your more sensitive to gear as well. Keep it lean, keep it smart. Do what you feel like is working and your seeing results

Sweet potatos for the natural look
Potatos,steak,heavy cream for the thick mentzer look
Pie filling for the 90s look
And muffins for the current superfreak build

Or carb source doesn't affect fat loss or anything else and something else changed for you to see different results

thats a first. a list of foods and the looks they determine based on pros trends thru the decades. must be accurate!

if there is a "sour straw candy" era i think i would excel in that look. love me some sour candy:D
-F2S

Last edited:

what its founded on, and what it is now are vastly different
what may have been sound logic, is now just silliness and excuses to eat unhealthy foods

my point was,
you are eating like an off season bodybuilder, like we all have prob done for years
Eating perfectly and then sneaking some extra calories here and there

someone may have put a fancy acronym on it, and it stuck, but the diet has evolved and is no longer what most people serious about the sport would follow

I get it: semantics, who made it up, where it started, what its "supposed" to be, but Mainly just pointing out, your rational, sensible, knowledgeable approach to acquiring lean mass is not what I would ever refer to as an IIFYM diet plan

I know this has nothing to do with the OP and the topic

what may have been sound logic, is now just silliness and excuses to eat unhealthy foods

my point was,
you are eating like an off season bodybuilder, like we all have prob done for years

someone may have put a fancy acronym on it, and it stuck, but the diet has evolved and is no longer what most people serious about the sport would follow

I get it: semantics, who made it up, where it started, what its "supposed" to be, but Mainly just pointing out, your rational, sensible, knowledgeable approach to acquiring lean mass is not what I would ever refer to as an IIFYM diet plan

Your post supports my point. There's nothing revolutionary about IIFYM and as you said bodybuilders have been doing it to an extent for years. It didn't evolve into what it is now b/c people post their poptarts and pizza and use #IIFYM, people do that because they understand digital marketing and associating highly palatable foods with trending keywords related to dieting will increase their exposure.

OP said IIFYM was bs in his experience and was just giving my input that I didn't think that variances in something like types of carbs made any real difference if it was an agreeable food for you in regards to digestibility.

And ultimately you're right, it's just semantics. But semiology is a very powerful thing, especially considering we all communicate via reading and writing text. I am a believer in IIFYM for what it really is and that's why I explained it (which I agree with you that it is a bodybuilding diet with some processed carbs added in) instead of just saying I'm all for it and people assuming my diet is protein shakes and poptarts.

I just think qualifying things like that (even if it's just semantics) is important on here for context. I mean most of us are drug abusers by definition but without qualifying that, someone taking some self prescribed trt would be in the same classification as someone using meth or heroin everyday.

my point was,

Well if it wasn't off topic before, it surely is after my post :D

To each his own though.

Not arguing that IIFYM doesn't work, just point out that in my experience it has not worked on the sole basis of thermodynamics which can likely be explained by intricate body systems and variable metabolism caused by any number of things.

I wouldn't call that IIFYM though. In that form, I and basically everyone on here follow IIFYM in the form of meeting a macronutrient profile through whole foods. My experiences have been the same as yours though in terms of 80-90% clean and 10-20% less clean

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws