over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OT/ Subaru Forester vs Pickup truck.

bananas007

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I am moving to the tundras, and coincidentally have to change my vehicle.

given snow I was considering pick up trucks but love the safety and value of a Subaru.

If safety, convenience in snowy weather, and value were your priorities which one would you choose?

I can’t barely get a used pick up for 18,000$ (Most of them have 95k plus miles) , while I can get. A brand new forester close to 27k.

At the same time I feel like pick up truck may handle itself better in heavy snow, and forester may be pretty good but not great.

and most important of all, hope it never happens, but if u r in a wreck which one would be the best safety ? Forester has a top pick from the safety institute in its class

Subaru engines have a history of blowing head gaskets. Their transmissions are sketchy as well.

i owned a Subaru legacy and have not had issues. If I buy a 18k pickup truck with 90,000$ miles it will have its own mechanical failures over the next few years.

I'd get the best AWD vehicle for the cheapest price. Certified pre-owned is most likely your best bet.

I've never heard a back thing about Subarus, but im no car expert either.

I Owned 2 subarus, outback for 14 yrs and a wrx. The turbo wrxs is what you have to look out for but my wrx ran 12 yrs before it suffered a crack in the ring.

if you're looking for good traction in ice and snow, I think either one is good as long as you have a second set of wheels with snow tires on them. A subaru with winter tires should be able to drive through almost anything. I owned 2 Audi A6 cars with AWD that I had a separate set of wheels and tires for winter. I drove through some deep snow and ice, never a problem. One snow storm I had to drive down a steep hill on a country road that had heavy snow. On the way down the hill there were 3 or 4 vehicles in the ditch, they had run off the road. One was a pickup truck that slammed into a tree. They looked at me driving by like it was a miracle.

I picked up my youngest at preschool and had to drive back through that road to get home. The cops had the road blocked and told me I wasn't allowed to go through. Had to turn around and take the highway. Took me an hour and a half to do what should have been 20 minutes at most.

One thing I'm curious about, in trucks the weight is even less well distributed than in a sedan. Ive seen some pickup drivers putting in weight into the bed of the truck to add traction. Is that necessary if it is 4wd? To me, having more weight distributed to the front of the vehicle is going to affect how it handles,even if it is 4wd.

Maybe one of those big truck covers on the bed would help, and having an extended cab. Extended cab with a shorter bed.

Yes the back end of a truck can get a little squierlly in slick weather even in 4x4
I add a couple hundred pounds of sand tubes placed right over the rear axle in the bed in the winter. I also run bf Goodrich ko2’s which are heavy snow rated and don’t have issues. Great all around tire btw...
Where a pickup is gonna shine is ground clearance in actual deep snow or snow banks or drifts
If ur car sits 4” off the ground , I don’t care what tires u have
Ur eventually not gonna get thru anything deep.

I am moving to the tundras, and coincidentally have to change my vehicle.

given snow I was considering pick up trucks but love the safety and value of a Subaru.

If safety, convenience in snowy weather, and value were your priorities which one would you choose?

I can’t barely get a used pick up for 18,000$ (Most of them have 95k plus miles) , while I can get. A brand new forester close to 27k.

At the same time I feel like pick up truck may handle itself better in heavy snow, and forester may be pretty good but not great.

and most important of all, hope it never happens, but if u r in a wreck which one would be the best safety ? Forester has a top pick from the safety institute in its class

My opinion. For me, this is a tough one.

27k for a Forester. Yikes!

Tundras? Like Alaska?

I think much of your decision is . . . what are you planning on using the vehicle for?

Are you considering 4x4 truck?

Think chains for snow? Frequency and ease of installing.

Pickups (may) handle better in the snow but will need carry some some weight in the
cargo area.

A truck is more utilitarian. But folks swear by the subes. My friend runs a landscaping
business out of back of his sube.

Can you get a sube serviced close to where you are going to be? PU's are easier find
a service center for (major brands).

Safety cannot be undervalued.

All great points, and exactly the pros/cons I am struggling with.
Alfresco: tundra was maybe an over exaggeration. The Car/Truck will be in North Dakota for most of the time.

I mainly just want to go from home to work to gym etc. without getting stuck in the snow weather.

i owned a Subaru legacy and have not had issues. If I buy a 18k pickup truck with 90,000$ miles it will have its own mechanical failures over the next few years.
Not sure why you are asking, because to me it sounds like you already made up your mind on the Subaru. Maybe just looking for validation :)

Not sure why you are asking, because to me it sounds like you already made up your mind on the Subaru. Maybe just looking for validation :)

No quiet the opposite.
I really want the pick up truck, but trying to make the best possible decision keeping the following priorities in mind

1. Safety 2. Snow conditions (not getting stuck) 3. Value/ depreciation.

Validation is not something I would seek for basic everyday automobiles.

Unlike most guys, I know nothing about cars besides get in, turn on and drive... but i see proM as my group of guy friends I can ask questions about for things that I am not knowledgeable in.

I dated a girl for a few years whose family lived in Washoe Valley, outside Reno, NV. Lots of snow there and tons of people who go up and down the mountain to Tahoe constantly, and Subarus are by far the most popular vehicle. Toyota Tacomas are a close second. Never owned or driven either so no personal opinion on them.

My opinion. For me, this is a tough one.

27k for a Forester. Yikes!

Tundras? Like Alaska?

I think much of your decision is . . . what are you planning on using the vehicle for?

Are you considering 4x4 truck?

Think chains for snow? Frequency and ease of installing.

Pickups (may) handle better in the snow but will need carry some some weight in the
cargo area.

A truck is more utilitarian. But folks swear by the subes. My friend runs a landscaping
business out of back of his sube.

Can you get a sube serviced close to where you are going to be? PU's are easier find
a service center for (major brands).

Safety cannot be undervalued.
Chains are a good idea. I think those are banned in a lot of areas though.

An AWD car will deal with adverse conditions much better than a 4x4 truck, trust me I know first hand, the low center of gravity is a huge factor which is often overlooked people think just because a truck is big that it makes it good in bad weather which is totally false. I owned a Lexus LX450 which is just an FJ80 with different badges and it's supposed to be one of the most capable off road vehicles ever produced touted by everyone and sought after for that reason, FULL time 4wd, locking differentials, giant oversize winter tires....it was specifically engineered to drive through anything a total tank. Well my 2013 GS350 AWD I had at the time which is a sporty sedan was much much more stable in the snow and adverse conditions, it wasn't even close. If the ground clearance matters and it's rough terrain that is one thing but if you're only worried about stability and safety while driving through snow then the Subaru will be a much better vehicle for that purpose, don't get caught up in the whole big truck bullshit you're not going to be rock crawling through the mountains.

A good compromise to me would be a 4runner, obviously still a truck but with one of the best 4wd systems ever made and still small enough to have the stability of a smaller vehicle vs a truck. The pick up truck will disappoint you on anything slick at all, 4x4 doesn't matter when it comes to ice and that big floaty top heavy truck with terrible weight distribution will let you down and scare you driving it on anything slippery at all.

Also just like you said good examples of trucks are ridiculously expensive and any cheap truck is cheap for a reason, beaten to hell it's entire life and you're the last owner because it's not far from being a junker.

You don't need chains, it's not Siberia.

Ive owned 4 of these btw... If I wasnt set on getting a Sahara Edition Jeep then Id likely get another

Oh boy you’re gonna regret that! I know what you’re thinking, you’re thinking it’s just like your 4Runner a rugged purpose built vehicle but something new and different. But it’s not at all it’s a complete piece of shit compared to your 4Runner it’s not a real vehicle it’s a novelty and it’s built and drives like a novelty and not in a good way.

I bought a brand new off the lot 2013 Sierra unlimited to replace my Lexus Landcruiser. Well it took all of 6 months to decide i had enough andto get rid of it, thank god they hold their value. The 2013 brand new Jeep couldn’t hold a candle to a 1997 Toyota. Not to say Jeep makes bad vehicles, of all the American SUV’s I think a grand Cherokee is the best built one out there but that does not apply at all to the Wrangler, if it wasn’t for their novelty appeal and cult following nobody in their right mind would drive one.

You’ll see, it won’t take long and you’ll remember me telling you this!

On the topic of cars, what's everyone's thoughts/opinion on purchasing cars during these trying times. Better prices? Possible fire sale type of deals? Thanks to all who gave their input.
Take care.
MS

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner