advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lumbar Fusion: Any Peptides Help After Surgery?

muscle96ss

FOUNDING Member / Featured Member / Verified Custo
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I am having a lumbar fusion in 6 weeks. I have never had a real good understand of all these peptides that are out there. Do any of them help the post surgical healing process? Anybody actually use peptides or anything else after a similar surgery and notice anything positive(or negative)?

Be sure to research the above drugs to see if they act like an NSAID. I've had multiple fusions both lumbar and cervical. Most doctors don't want you using any NSAID's for a couple of months post op because they may inhibit the fusion process.

Be sure to research the above drugs to see if they act like an NSAID. I've had multiple fusions both lumbar and cervical. Most doctors don't want you using any NSAID's for a couple of months post op because they may inhibit the fusion process.

Yes, definitely. My goal is expedite the fusion process as opposed to making me feel better. Also, I have to be careful with a lot of those meds because of my kidney transplant.

I wouldn't risk it. Each injection increases potential for infection into the body which can end up landing on your healing surgical site especially if you have hardware put in you. You don't want this.

Further more, you don't want your body having some sort of response in which leads to excess scar tissue which has potential to re-cram up the area you just tried to open up.

Generally most healthy people fuse fine unless there is underlying reason for them to not do so with rare exceptions. I'm assuming you would heal well if you take care of yourself, eat well, rest well and follow direction like I think you would being that you are on this website. If anything, people who exercise a lot are more likely to mess things up by trying to get back to things too quickly.

I wouldn't mess with BPC or TB. IMO those work better with acute muscle injuries and/or tendonitis...not a serious surgery like you're having. Just use GH.

Used both from a compounding pharmacy in the US. am suffering from a back injury of over ten years. Neither were anything to write home about. I wouldn't bother with either of them and wouldn't take the risk of using them after a major surgery like that.

BPC is a game changer for inflammation but I doubt it helps you in your situation.

I used HGH at the recommendation of my Dr. for mine. I wouldn't use any thing else that hadn't been shown to work well in multiple studies myself. When doing what I hope is a once in a life time type procedure I don't like to experiment on the outcome.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have normally been a really fast healer following surgeries. However, since my kidney transplant in early 2019, I am on 5mg prednisone daily for life; which inhibits bone formation. And with the fusion, building strong bone is really the key to success. So my main goal is to offset the negative effects of the prednisone. But at the same time I don't want to do anything that will harm the kidney. Sounds like I will just stick with my normal TRT, 2-3iu GH, and healthy diet.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have normally been a really fast healer following surgeries. However, since my kidney transplant in early 2019, I am on 5mg prednisone daily for life; which inhibits bone formation. And with the fusion, building strong bone is really the key to success. So my main goal is to offset the negative effects of the prednisone. But at the same time I don't want to do anything that will harm the kidney. Sounds like I will just stick with my normal TRT, 2-3iu GH, and healthy diet.

hmmm yes the prednisone will delay healing a bit by dropping cox2 down among a few other ways.

What type of procedure you having done? what levels? discetomy? posterior spinal fusion? disc prosthesis? Bone graft posteriorly? laminectomy?

It would be good to know a bit more about what they are doing but just speaking in general here... i usually dont like to recommend things post op but if i was on prednisone id be concerned about osseous healing/incorporation. If it were my back Id strongly consider eating a lot, potentially taking insulin, and GH. Id take probably 20k iu of vitamin D a day starting soon ( i know my vitamin D levels are about 45 right now and id want it about 70 plus) and supplement with calcium. Id lay off AI's and let my estrogen creep up a bit.

5mg isnt that much of prednisone but on much higher doses ive seen people with like RA and autoimmune diseases have difficultly post op from joint replacements and other osseous surgeries. Im not actively recommending you do any of this as its a fine line post op and it sorta depends on what procedures they are doing as you dont wanna get too much osseous healing in some surgeries.

hmmm yes the prednisone will delay healing a bit by dropping cox2 down among a few other ways.

What type of procedure you having done? what levels? discetomy? posterior spinal fusion? disc prosthesis? Bone graft posteriorly? laminectomy?

It would be good to know a bit more about what they are doing but just speaking in general here... i usually dont like to recommend things post op but if i was on prednisone id be concerned about osseous healing/incorporation. If it were my back Id strongly consider eating a lot, potentially taking insulin, and GH. Id take probably 20k iu of vitamin D a day starting soon ( i know my vitamin D levels are about 45 right now and id want it about 70 plus) and supplement with calcium. Id lay off AI's and let my estrogen creep up a bit.

5mg isnt that much of prednisone but on much higher doses ive seen people with like RA and autoimmune diseases have difficultly post op from joint replacements and other osseous surgeries. Im not actively recommending you do any of this as its a fine line post op and it sorta depends on what procedures they are doing as you dont wanna get too much osseous healing in some surgeries.

Thanks for the response. I have severe stenosis, degenerative spondylolithesis and an arthritic facet joint(w/synovial cyst); so he is just going to fuse L4-S1.

I already take vitamin D(2000iu every night) and my last test showed it to be 44. But whenever I try to up the dosage of vitamin D, for some reason my calcium levels get high(upper 10's and higher). This has been going on for many years, not sure why.

Thanks for the response. I have severe stenosis, degenerative spondylolithesis and an arthritic facet joint(w/synovial cyst); so he is just going to fuse L4-S1.

I already take vitamin D(2000iu every night) and my last test showed it to be 44. But whenever I try to up the dosage of vitamin D, for some reason my calcium levels get high(upper 10's and higher). This has been going on for many years, not sure why.

on any other meds like a thiazide or something which may increase Ca?

My lumbar fusion was L4-s1 also. I will say that it was a very painful recovery! I had quite a bit going on though. I still needed C5-7 fused once I recovered from the lumbar fusion. Not being able to take NSAID's for my autoimmune disease, Ankylosing Spondylitis, really caused a lot of pain.

I will say that once healed, and you do your PT, you won't really notice much of difference as far as movement is concerned.

GG I could have sworn you were against using GH post op for fusion surgery. What changed?

on any other meds like a thiazide or something which may increase Ca?

I'm on 12.5 mg HCTZ, but has the same issue before I was put on that medication.

GG I could have sworn you were against using GH post op for fusion surgery. What changed?

You are correct. I have answered previously that guys should avoid things to stimulate osseous healing in the post op period spanning maybe about 8 weeks or so prevent hypertrophic bone formation. What changed on this thread is the prednisone. Knocking down cox2 and prostaglandins can mess with osseous healing and ive seen significant impairment. I do not know how much 5mg will impair him though.

for 98% of guys without comorbidities id just supplement with vitamin D, calcium and a good diet. However when you start adding things like corticosteroids, cox2 inhibitors, diabetes, conditions causing or resulting in high PTH levels etc then you gotta start to see how can you offset that a bit. This is just shooting from the hip as i am not aware of studies done with say GH on an immunosupressed person after lumbar fusion...just saying what id probably do if it were by back.

I'm on 12.5 mg HCTZ, but has the same issue before I was put on that medication.

oh ok. im sure the hctz isnt helping the high ca levels but its a small trade off for the benefits of it. maybe its good to have slightly higher ca levels in this situation..

You are correct. I have answered previously that guys should avoid things to stimulate osseous healing in the post op period spanning maybe about 8 weeks or so prevent hypertrophic bone formation. What changed on this thread is the prednisone. Knocking down cox2 and prostaglandins can mess with osseous healing and ive seen significant impairment. I do not know how much 5mg will impair him though.

for 98% of guys without comorbidities id just supplement with vitamin D, calcium and a good diet. However when you start adding things like corticosteroids, cox2 inhibitors, diabetes, conditions causing or resulting in high PTH levels etc then you gotta start to see how can you offset that a bit. This is just shooting from the hip as i am not aware of studies done with say GH on an immunosupressed person after lumbar fusion...just saying what id probably do if it were by back.

Got it! Makes perfect sense!! Thanks for the reply!

Bio (or anyone)--I talked to you a few years back about some of this. About 5 years ago I putting in flooring and ended up in the most severe pain ever. Diagnosed with severe stenosis, spondylolithesis, I was scheduled for laminectomy with fusion of L3,4,5. I ended up going to a spine wellness center and had them work on it, the decompression helped knock out the pinched nerve that was so debilitating. I did not want the fusion, so I cancelled the surgery and been living with it since. I do notice some left leg weakness, most of all my balance is quite poor but I am not in alot of discomfort. What kind of recovery did you have from your fusion? I understand back surgery is mostly only to relieve the pain symptoms and not so much the other issues. Seeing I am not in pain, not sure if this is recommended for me, but need to do something.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
808Labs
NapsGear