over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Comeback? Is it possible? Stay tunned! Down 70lbs after back surgery

2jacked4u

Registered
So I've been trying to build up enough courage and strength to give it another shot (lol) in drastically changing my physique. I've been through so much the last 7 years pertaining to a divorce, lost job, and back surgery and it just honestly sent me into a downward spiral that honestly has me terrified of the hurt, and pain I'm going to feel when going back to the gym. I mean I've had my share of injuries over the years, cancer, neck fusion, shoulders done, ACl, and 2 levels of my lower back fused just 10 months ago. It may take some time to get back to close to where I was but fuck it, I don't work now so its game time.......let's see what the fuck I still have left in the old tank. And yes, I will be posting pics for everyone, I know I don't have to BUT I need the accountability from everyone here in this difficult time. I don't know everything, but I've done a lot of shit from sups to food and had the privilege to work or speak with several top-notch people over the years........Phil Hernon, Alex Azarian, Shelby Starnes, John Meadows, Matt Porter, Aaron Clark and a few others. Anyone else with a lower back surgery and that has returned to the gym feel free to chime in!

It's very possible to make a comeback. I've already made mine. Had a tumor in my back, two spinal surgeries and a spinal fusion of my L4 + L5 vertebrae later it was gone. Granted it took around 2 years to be fully medically cleared, worst 2 years of my life, but I've already surpassed any previous progress I've made and am stronger and more shredded than I've ever been, although I do avoid heavy conventional deadlifts now and stick to mostly RDLs

Just start slow, don't ramp the weight too fast, and lift smart -- the last thing you want is to risk another injury

It's very possible to make a comeback. I've already made mine. Had a tumor in my back, two spinal surgeries and a spinal fusion of my L4 + L5 vertebrae later it was gone. Granted it took around 2 years to be fully medically cleared, worst 2 years of my life, but I've already surpassed any previous progress I've made and am stronger and more shredded than I've ever been, although I do avoid heavy conventional deadlifts now and stick to mostly RDLs

Just start slow, don't ramp the weight too fast, and lift smart -- the last thing you want is to risk another injury
damn, I have l4 l5 degenerative dics and spinabifida oculta , my back is in pain 24 7, it causes pelvic tilt and more too , have to stretch 24/7 and stay mobile or I lock up

damn, I have l4 l5 degenerative dics and spinabifida oculta , my back is in pain 24 7, it causes pelvic tilt and more too , have to stretch 24/7 and stay mobile or I lock up
Yeah mobility work is critical, healthy or injured.

Sorry to hear that man. I do hope there's a solution that helps you out with this

Yeah mine was a damaged L2-L4 toast, still have pain for sure. Also a 10-12 inch cut right down the center of the old abs.

Many folks here with lower back injuries, myself included. Young dumb and full of alcohol doing stupid shit originally f’d mine. Then a bad car accident polished me off. I still get a lot of pain from mine, but focusing on my core and lower back with light weight has helped ALOT!!! Been slowly tirating up the weight as my back permits.

I was unable to do squats, deads, shrugs, etc. Now I’m doing them again plus not just using the barbell w/ a lil 5lb or a 10lb plate. It’s a process! Don’t rush it, and you’ll be fine.

Since you’ve been out for a while you’ll have some shitty soreness for a month, but obviously it eventually dissipates. Then once you’ve gotten your base back you can bring back the bounce with AAS.

Cage

So I've been trying to build up enough courage and strength to give it another shot (lol) in drastically changing my physique. I've been through so much the last 7 years pertaining to a divorce, lost job, and back surgery and it just honestly sent me into a downward spiral that honestly has me terrified of the hurt, and pain I'm going to feel when going back to the gym. I mean I've had my share of injuries over the years, cancer, neck fusion, shoulders done, ACl, and 2 levels of my lower back fused just 10 months ago. It may take some time to get back to close to where I was but fuck it, I don't work now so its game time.......let's see what the fuck I still have left in the old tank. And yes, I will be posting pics for everyone, I know I don't have to BUT I need the accountability from everyone here in this difficult time. I don't know everything, but I've done a lot of shit from sups to food and had the privilege to work or speak with several top-notch people over the years........Phil Hernon, Alex Azarian, Shelby Starnes, John Meadows, Matt Porter, Aaron Clark and a few others. Anyone else with a lower back surgery and that has returned to the gym feel free to chime in!

How old are you? You can do it if you want to. Learn what to do and what not to do. I've had 6 spine surgeries, 3 lumbar and 3 cervical. Most of my neck is fused and L4 - L5s1 is fused. I've had a fractured thoracic vertebrae that put me in a brace for 3 months. I also have Ankylosing Spondylitis, a rare painful disease which has cause me to live in chronic pain since I was 17. I had cancer surgery 10 years ago. The gym is still my happy place. I'm in decent shape at 230lbs. I'll be 55 in April. I don't train like I used to but I still enjoy doing what I can. Don't rush it, heal up and when it's go time, get after it!

How old are you? You can do it if you want to. Learn what to do and what not to do. I've had 6 spine surgeries, 3 lumbar and 3 cervical. Most of my neck is fused and L4 - L5s1 is fused. I've had a fractured thoracic vertebrae that put me in a brace for 3 months. I also have Ankylosing Spondylitis, a rare painful disease which has cause me to live in chronic pain since I was 17. I had cancer surgery 10 years ago. The gym is still my happy place. I'm in decent shape at 230lbs. I'll be 55 in April. I don't train like I used to but I still enjoy doing what I can. Don't rush it, heal up and when it's go time, get after it!
This is very good advise right here!

Much RESPECT. 44 Here my man

Reactions: Bio
Much RESPECT. 44 Here my man
Okay I am about to pass out on my sleepy meds so please excuse the punctuation. Been through.all of this in my 40's. Open heart surgery, got Rhabdomyosis almost died had to learn to walk again, Had surgery on my shoulder that didn't do shit but was out 11 months, still dealing with the pain. I was just like I am either going to waste away here, Or I can get the.ass moving! Chose the latter. When I started I had the treadmill at 2.2mph and I had to stop every couple of minutes to catch my breath and give.my legs some rest as they were.screaming. I was fucking on the moon the day I did ten minutes.straight. Anyway things can pretty.fast after that within a.week I was back with 23 inch arms...yea right I wish

So I worked up to 20 minutes at 3mph no incline. And that was my goal to start lifting I started off squatting the bar and i.think that and a.set of tens fried me that day. On shoulders I started off with 10's...I don't mention core talk...lol Got seven months.in and I was making decent gains. Then popped shoulder and everything took so long had to have surgery get a.couple new drs. Out 11 months started back at the end of December then right when I started.I got the.flu or covid out two weeks but back at. And.I think all the time that "man I love this shit". Started at a new.gym and its an old golds so it has all the equipment and not a lot of people there! Its perfect!

Anyway sharing my story as I am 46 myself and after the first couple of weeks I am just like...this is it.....this is what I been missing. Wish you well!!! And man what the fuck else you got to do??

Reading your experiences here I feel like mine is a minor thing but since it's recent, I have to share it.

2 days ago while doing deadlifts, second set at 8-10 reps, on the 6th rep I got a sharp pain in my lower back and had to drop the weight. I could barely stand up, I also had scheduled barbell rowing and shrugs, but I had to do pull ups, shoulder raises and hang on the bar to work my back and biceps.

I had had small pains in that area the previous weeks, but as we always walk with pains and injuries, you don't give it too much importance. I was surprised because the previous days it felt good, the first set was as usual, but this time I decided to do 2 or 3 extra warm up sets. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but it sucks. No matter how many precautions you take, injuries always come when you don't expect them.

Yesterday and today it feels a bit better, I can go for walks, the most painful thing is when I get up from the chair and have to bend down to pick something up. The pain goes from my lower back on the right side towards the glute.

I am applying ice and an ointment, at times it feels relieved. I'll wait a few days to see if it gets better before going to the doctor.

I've been able to sleep well without medication, so I guess that's a good sign. It's funny because other times my shoulders have kept me awake, but weren't so disabling pains as I could train without any problems

I'm not sure if it would be good to apply hot gel instead of ice at the moment.

This must be a common injury among deadlifters, any help is appreciated.

Your mind and motivation seem to be in the right place now. Get ‘ER done

Reading your experiences here I feel like mine is a minor thing but since it's recent, I have to share it.

2 days ago while doing deadlifts, second set at 8-10 reps, on the 6th rep I got a sharp pain in my lower back and had to drop the weight. I could barely stand up, I also had scheduled barbell rowing and shrugs, but I had to do pull ups, shoulder raises and hang on the bar to work my back and biceps.

I had had small pains in that area the previous weeks, but as we always walk with pains and injuries, you don't give it too much importance. I was surprised because the previous days it felt good, the first set was as usual, but this time I decided to do 2 or 3 extra warm up sets. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but it sucks. No matter how many precautions you take, injuries always come when you don't expect them.

Yesterday and today it feels a bit better, I can go for walks, the most painful thing is when I get up from the chair and have to bend down to pick something up. The pain goes from my lower back on the right side towards the glute.

I am applying ice and an ointment, at times it feels relieved. I'll wait a few days to see if it gets better before going to the doctor.

I've been able to sleep well without medication, so I guess that's a good sign. It's funny because other times my shoulders have kept me awake, but weren't so disabling pains as I could train without any problems

I'm not sure if it would be good to apply hot gel instead of ice at the moment.

This must be a common injury among deadlifters, any help is appreciated.
Well that sucks and I hope you a speedy recovery. Sounds like a sprain or something, I'd go to the dr get some muscle relaxers and something for pain. I would argue that the injuries actually showed signs but yea just because you hurt somewhere doesn't mean you need to ditch the workout. Though Sharp pain is a workout ender for me personally and I'll call the dr. and tell em I am coming. Anyway something to keep in mind for the future!! You can always finish the workout after the dr or tomorrow!!!

Never had back surgery and hopefully never will, I have a few back problems that give me a little pain from time to time, but my back doctor told me to keep doing what I'm doing because my thick back muscles is what's helping me the most
Spondylolosthesis L5-S1

Pars interarticularis defects L5

Facet arthritis L4-5

I had my shoulder replaced 11 years ago and then had spine surgery 3 months later as i knew it would be a down year and decided to deal with everything i could. Had stenosis, grade 3 spondylolisthesis as well as a few other things. It was treated with a laminectomy, spinal fusion with pedicle screws. I was back in the gym 10 days later doing massive 20 pound rows and pull downs along with whatever else i could do with my dr.s approval. And progressed form there. All my discs now from the end of my thoracic into the sacroiliac are bulged or herniated, not all do to weightlifting. I have little discomfort from that. Dr.s say my muscles are far thicker and denser then most. And the last ortho just laughed when i mentioned my poor spine and said my vertebrae are in better shape then 99% of the other 60 year olds my age. And he would send all his patients to me if he could so i could tell them how to train and eat healthy. For me it is about what i am willing to try to do. Not about what i want now or what i believe i can do. That is where everything starts for me. But there are others that have had it far worse. And can only speak for myself.

55 here and been on the yo-yo program for about 10 years now. I'm on my final encore fixing my Physique and will never allow another deviation. The good news: fortunately it is never too late. Your body, even if compromised, will usually provide a reflection of the effort and discipline that you expend. My Back is fucked up and I had every ligament in my left knee ruptured and rebuilt (skiing accident). You learn to work around the limitations. Unless you're planning on trying out for the Dallas Cowboys offensive line next season, you probably don't need to squat 600 pounds anymore. You do what you can; you challenge and push yourself; you do so within the perimeter of your capabilities. You can do this. Set your goal and push through the target!

yes it's very possible.
I had surgery on my spine

Was a stick insect for 6 months after. Lost so much weight and strength.
Then slowly you get back to normal

I don't do squats, dead lifts, heavy leg press, heavy shoulder presses etc anyone. Not worth it for me. Too old. Health more important.

@2jacked4u if you haven't seen this, check it out! You may want to incorporate this into your post surgery lifestyle!! I'm sure it will compliment what we do and what we've been through. I'm going to try it out!

Well that sucks and I hope you a speedy recovery. Sounds like a sprain or something, I'd go to the dr get some muscle relaxers and something for pain. I would argue that the injuries actually showed signs but yea just because you hurt somewhere doesn't mean you need to ditch the workout. Though Sharp pain is a workout ender for me personally and I'll call the dr. and tell em I am coming. Anyway something to keep in mind for the future!! You can always finish the workout after the dr or tomorrow!!!

Ohh, thanks man, the pain was gradually reducing each day so I decided not to go to the doctor for the time being, it appears to be a herniated disc with pinched sciatic nerve. The pain runs from my lower back through my gluteus, hip and quadriceps. Sitting for a prolonged period of time makes it hurt more.

After 4 days with ice, an ointment and doing 2 cardio sessions a day, which seemed to help, today I went back to training legs, careful not to feel pain. I did 8 sets of 20 reps of belt squat and another 8 sets of 16 reps of hip raises. And about 12 sets of seated and standing calf raises. I guess it will be a few weeks before I get back to my usual back squat workouts. Chest, shoulder and triceps workouts won't be a problem although I won't be doing overhead presses, I'll have to limit the movements in the back to reduce the tension in the area: No deadlift, no barbell or T-bar rowing.

Okay I am about to pass out on my sleepy meds so please excuse the punctuation. Been through.all of this in my 40's. Open heart surgery, got Rhabdomyosis almost died had to learn to walk again, Had surgery on my shoulder that didn't do shit but was out 11 months, still dealing with the pain. I was just like I am either going to waste away here, Or I can get the.ass moving! Chose the latter. When I started I had the treadmill at 2.2mph and I had to stop every couple of minutes to catch my breath and give.my legs some rest as they were.screaming. I was fucking on the moon the day I did ten minutes.straight. Anyway things can pretty.fast after that within a.week I was back with 23 inch arms...yea right I wish

So I worked up to 20 minutes at 3mph no incline. And that was my goal to start lifting I started off squatting the bar and i.think that and a.set of tens fried me that day. On shoulders I started off with 10's...I don't mention core talk...lol Got seven months.in and I was making decent gains. Then popped shoulder and everything took so long had to have surgery get a.couple new drs. Out 11 months started back at the end of December then right when I started.I got the.flu or covid out two weeks but back at. And.I think all the time that "man I love this shit". Started at a new.gym and its an old golds so it has all the equipment and not a lot of people there! Its perfect!

Anyway sharing my story as I am 46 myself and after the first couple of weeks I am just like...this is it.....this is what I been missing. Wish you well!!! And man what the fuck else you got to do??
This is what I need for sure. Appreciate it for sure

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner