over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Umbilical hernia

bodyofwork

Newbies
Edit: mods please delete as I should have used search function first!

Has anyone had an umbilical hernia repaired and if so did it result in much downtime? My medical care is through the VA as a disabled veteran and I usually try and avoid them doing any surgical procedures at all costs. Doing some research it would seem that I can go living normally without it being repaired as long as it doesn’t get worse. I just thought I would get some insight from someone that may have had one and did have it repaired or maybe didn’t and how it effected them either way. TIA!

Edit: mods please delete as I should have used search function first!

Has anyone had an umbilical hernia repaired and if so did it result in much downtime? My medical care is through the VA as a disabled veteran and I usually try and avoid them doing any surgical procedures at all costs. Doing some research it would seem that I can go living normally without it being repaired as long as it doesn’t get worse. I just thought I would get some insight from someone that may have had one and did have it repaired or maybe didn’t and how it effected them either way. TIA!
I’ve lived with one for 4-5 years now. I’m on VA medical also but actually just got it last year. Was uninsured for 3 years prior. But yeah it’s like 6 weeks down time. I run a home service business but I’m still on the truck and plan to continue and just can’t take 6 weeks off like that.

I don’t max out on squats or deads anymore but I still go heavy on them sometimes. Just wear a good belt. Mine has hardly gotten worse over the years. I’m going to force myself to take some down time to get it fixed next year though. Good luck.

I lifted heavy (500# squats and deads) for 10 years with an umbilical hernia.
Yeah. I had mine repaired and then blew it out again in about 6 months post operation. I never had it fixed again and ive been living with it now for about 20 years.

Had mine repaired a few years ago. If you don't get it repaired it will only get bigger and bigger and could eventually become a life threatening situation. Recovery wasn't too awful, I can now squat 500+ lbs for reps and don't really worry about it tearing but I don't squat often and I now pay strict attention to keeping my core tight throughout the movement.

If it's small like mine, it's really only a cosmetic problem. Mine hasnt grown larger in 20 years. When I had it originally repaired, it had been torn for about 16 years and not grown. I decided to fix it because I had 2 inguinal hernias form later on and they hurt bad. Got all 3 repaired then. Only the umbilical blew out again. All were done with mesh.

My umbilical is about the size of my pinky finger tip. It's not growing and doesn't hurt. With my heart failure I avoid unnecessary surgeries. If I was healthy I might actually try to have it fixed again. Once a hernia reoccurs, chances are much higher it will bust again.

had mine repaired and never came back.

What do y'all attribute your hernias to? Were y'all regularly wearing belts on heavy lifts?

Age and wear and tear. Most likely most of us are born with some weak areas in the abdomen wall and lifting over time will expose those weakened areas. I know guys that have never touched a weight and gotten them- so most likely born with some sort of compromise in their wall.

I have had mine for probably 12 years. it is debilitating to get hit or kicked there in muay thai sickening feeling. yes it has grown some over time as well. my outie belly button got bigge. obviously never had an "outie" before hernia

What do y'all attribute your hernias to? Were y'all regularly wearing belts on heavy lifts?
I always wore a thick power lifting belt. The Inzer Forever belt. So it wasnt for lack of support.

I think it is something your born with, a weakness there. The inguinal hernias are the same way I think.

One thing that made me regret my surgery is the fact that I developed diastasis recti after my surgery. Prior to that I had no hint of it. My abs were real tight down the middle. Afterwards now I have a huge gap and it sticks out like a ridge when I do a crunch.

Thank y’all for the replies and feedback. I have no idea what caused mine or what exactly to attribute it to but I’m going to try to work around it for the time being until I can take that kind of downtime to get it repaired. I was in the damn shower shaving and all the sudden my belly button popped out. Talk about freaking out lol. Mines not at all painful and as I’m getting in my mid forties I really don’t try to lift super heavy these days anyhow.

Thank y’all for the replies and feedback. I have no idea what caused mine or what exactly to attribute it to but I’m going to try to work around it for the time being until I can take that kind of downtime to get it repaired. I was in the damn shower shaving and all the sudden my belly button popped out. Talk about freaking out lol. Mines not at all painful and as I’m getting in my mid forties I really don’t try to lift super heavy these days anyhow.
lay off abs with the hernia, i can do scissor kicks and they dont bug me. squats and dls ( i can do SLDL ok) fuck no i feel like im going to disembowel through my belly button lol. i had a sixpack for almost a decade doing zero abs besides core engaged lifts and plyo/muay thai sparring (and gear :D ) strict dieting

Got mine repaired 3 years ago and it's starting to come back again. Was repaired with mesh. Surgery sucked and I really dont want to do it again lol. Mine is probably genetic because my dad had one. He had it repaired and doesn't workout. Downtime after surgery was realistically only one or two days. Extremely tired for about a week though and the area was sore for a week ish. Do you need it repaired? Some may say no and some may never have problems but... if it gets strangulated then you are in for some real issues.

I think hernias are genetic too. My grandfather died from a strangulated hernia, my uncle had one, I had 3 umbilical hernias and now have a inguinal hernia ( no problem with it), both of my sons were born with hernias, my niece was born with an umbilical hernia, and my brother had an inguinal hernia.

I had an open repair and it recurred 18 mos later. Then a laparoscopic repair. The second one was about 9 years ago, no problems since. So maybe get the laparoscopic mesh to begin with.

I had an open repair and it recurred 18 mos later. Then a laparoscopic repair. The second one was about 9 years ago, no problems since. So maybe get the laparoscopic mesh to begin with.
My umbilical mesh tore about 6 months post surgery and it was done open. Not sure having an open surgery is the cause of the trouble. My surgeon said research showed open to be more successful for umbilical than laproscopic, less reoccurrence. He did my inguinal hernias at the same time using the laproscope and mesh.

Got mine repaired 3 years ago and it's starting to come back again. Was repaired with mesh. Surgery sucked and I really dont want to do it again lol. Mine is probably genetic because my dad had one. He had it repaired and doesn't workout. Downtime after surgery was realistically only one or two days. Extremely tired for about a week though and the area was sore for a week ish. Do you need it repaired? Some may say no and some may never have problems but... if it gets strangulated then you are in for some real issues.
I think I can get away with just living with it for now but my FNP at the VA mentioned that strangulation issue too and said that was her main concern with not having it repaired.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinFinch
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131