over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

500 rep workout

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I was talking to a guy at the gym who has a decent physique about training and he told me he does 500 reps for a body part in a workout. Being a low volume guy I was surprised. He said he'll do 5 exercise, 5 sets, about 20 reps, not to failure.

Not something I'd probably try if nothing else due to time, but he's anyone ever approached this volume? Seems above anything I've seen online even proposed by the science guys who love pushing high volume not to failure.

I was talking to a guy at the gym who has a decent physique about training and he told me he does 500 reps for a body part in a workout. Being a low volume guy I was surprised. He said he'll do 5 exercise, 5 sets, about 20 reps, not to failure.

Not something I'd probably try if nothing else due to time, but he's anyone ever approached this volume? Seems above anything I've seen online even proposed by the science guys who love pushing high volume not to failure.
Seems easy enough ...not to failure

If you have the patience for it - depends on your training style - for me not to failure easy - one body part only though per day

sounds like a construction worker routine....or landscaper....
or any job where u lift light shit all day long....

Has he ever used gear?

Has he ever used gear?
I haven't talked to him much about it since I briefly worked with his fiance and that could cause issues. I did make a joke about dbol once and he knew what it was but beyond that no idea

I prefer low volume too but I could get down on this for a month or two. If you took some gorilla mode nitric, you could get some nasty pumps this way.

Sometimes if I don't want to think for legs I'll do what I call the "Indy 500". Just hop on the leg press and start pressing with my water next to me until I hit 500 reps. Just keep hitting failure points then rest 15-20 seconds and keep going. You'll be grinding out the last 100 or more reps.

Anything less than a 1000 reps is catabolic.

Any training system will work to an extent. There are pro's/con's to every method. I trained high volume for years and still do from time to time. It all works. Common sense really but if you combine intense sets and high volume you need to make sure you can recover effectively. I have never believed in going to the gym and not pushing the intensity so this is why it's important to cycle volume. It's also important to know when to have a break even if that's just 2 days. It's quite pointless going to the gym and training for 2+ hours and just doing shitty sets all the time. Sure it's better than no stimulation and you could still build a good physique but some sets need to be pushed for optimal results imo. The other side of the spectrum is abusing your body and pushing it to the limits and that is the side I am just naturally on and that can go against you but if you know when to have days off and rotate intensity it can still work out great. Others just push and push with no off switch and that's why they end up with 20 different injuries and fucked up bodies.

I see this guy in the gym and I was going to post about him in another training thread but I may as well post it here. It was basically to show so many overcomplicate training. Although I should mention what I see him do is far from optimal and I would never recommend it. Digging a hole too deep is hard to recover from and he could get the same results doing 1/2 volume but still I will post what I see him do. I have seen him train his arms a few times. He will do at least 30 sets of heavy curls all to failure. I warmed up slowly and I done about 7 exercises and in all that time he was just curling db's or an ez bar so not even tri-ceps just bi-ceps and forearm work. Want to know his best body part... his arms :D Obviously I would never recommend someone train that way but you have guys afraid of doing more than 5 sets and go on about RIR to prevent overtraining and this guy has a great set of arms and is literally just doing ridiculous volume and this is like 1/2 the workouts I have seem him do. It should go without stating he could just have good arm genetics but it's definitely a bit of both and whilst it's completely unneeded people shouldn't be scared of a little volume from time time. The way I look at it if you like to train and see a routine you want to try just try it and see how you feel regardless if it's 5 sets or 50 sets.

500 reps to me is nothing crazy especially because they are not to failure. Go in the gym and pump the fuck out of the body part and take some sets to failure (or close to) and that will be a good workout. Although I would personally listen to your body as opposed to just following a set routine and when your pump starts fading that's when you know it's probably time to go so finish with one big set to failure and rest and recover.

Squats, 10 x 10, same weight, 20 seconds rest (or less) between sets is the most extreme for me. Could not walk for days. Not fun. (Thank you Tenny.)

I lift light these days.
The other day I threw 3 plates on for bench. That shit felt HEAVY. Like when you first touch 3plates heavy.
But after a rep or two everything started firing like usual.
Even still when I racked it that shit felt heavy and felt in my bones.
Funny. I can crank out 25 pull ups.
50 push ups rest then repeat.
Now I can barely bench 315 for 5.
When I could bench for 5 set of of 10, I could barely do 10 pulls ups and 25 push ups. Abomb strength with tren cardio. :)

My hematologist told me, since I'm older and he's older, that he does 2 exercises per bodypart for 4 sets of 25 reps each for a total of 200 reps.
is this to lower hematocrit etc by burning up oxgyen from higher reps volume style of training?

I lift light these days.
The other day I threw 3 plates on for bench. That shit felt HEAVY. Like when you first touch 3plates heavy.
But after a rep or two everything started firing like usual.
Even still when I racked it that shit felt heavy and felt in my bones.
Funny. I can crank out 25 pull ups.
50 push ups rest then repeat.
Now I can barely bench 315 for 5.
When I could bench for 5 set of of 10, I could barely do 10 pulls ups and 25 push ups. Abomb strength with tren cardio. :)
I'm the same, I'd say your better off. Anyone who has juiced should have been able to rep 315 but I doubt many can do close to 25 chins in a set.

I'm similar to you, back in my permabulker days at 250 I was repping 345 for 5 sets of 7. I used the 5x5 routine but made it 5x7. Ran a gram of test and worked my way from 225 for 7 right up to 345 by 7 until I felt the tweak in my pec that Left me not able to lift the bar. Back then I doubt I could do 3 pullups though my cardio was shit too.

Now days I'd hate to try 315 but I can rep out chins, cardio and BP are good,, have no injuries or joint pain. Trying to get to 25 chins not there yet lol

Any training system will work to an extent. There are pro's/con's to every method. I trained high volume for years and still do from time to time. It all works. Common sense really but if you combine intense sets and high volume you need to make sure you can recover effectively. I have never believed in going to the gym and not pushing the intensity so this is why it's important to cycle volume. It's also important to know when to have a break even if that's just 2 days. It's quite pointless going to the gym and training for 2+ hours and just doing shitty sets all the time. Sure it's better than no stimulation and you could still build a good physique but some sets need to be pushed for optimal results imo. The other side of the spectrum is abusing your body and pushing it to the limits and that is the side I am just naturally on and that can go against you but if you know when to have days off and rotate intensity it can still work out great. Others just push and push with no off switch and that's why they end up with 20 different injuries and fucked up bodies.

I see this guy in the gym and I was going to post about him in another training thread but I may as well post it here. It was basically to show so many overcomplicate training. Although I should mention what I see him do is far from optimal and I would never recommend it. Digging a hole too deep is hard to recover from and he could get the same results doing 1/2 volume but still I will post what I see him do. I have seen him train his arms a few times. He will do at least 30 sets of heavy curls all to failure. I warmed up slowly and I done about 7 exercises and in all that time he was just curling db's or an ez bar so not even tri-ceps just bi-ceps and forearm work. Want to know his best body part... his arms :D Obviously I would never recommend someone train that way but you have guys afraid of doing more than 5 sets and go on about RIR to prevent overtraining and this guy has a great set of arms and is literally just doing ridiculous volume and this is like 1/2 the workouts I have seem him do. It should go without stating he could just have good arm genetics but it's definitely a bit of both and whilst it's completely unneeded people shouldn't be scared of a little volume from time time. The way I look at it if you like to train and see a routine you want to try just try it and see how you feel regardless if it's 5 sets or 50 sets.

500 reps to me is nothing crazy especially because they are not to failure. Go in the gym and pump the fuck out of the body part and take some sets to failure (or close to) and that will be a good workout. Although I would personally listen to your body as opposed to just following a set routine and when your pump starts fading that's when you know it's probably time to go so finish with one big set to failure and rest and recover.
Exactly not to failure is like.... Yawn

Unless your in shitty condition

Squats, 10 x 10, same weight, 20 seconds rest (or less) between sets is the most extreme for me. Could not walk for days. Not fun. (Thank you Tenny.)

It's funny you mention that...I've been doing sort of the charles poloquin twist on german volume training and while I wouldn't (and don't think you could or should) do this perpetually it's been great. The first time was absolutely one of the sorest I have been in 25 years of training.

Hamstring curls x 10 reps
rest 90-120 seconds
Squats x 10 reps
rest 90-120 seconds
hamstring curls x 10 reps

That continues back and forth until 10 sets of 10 is completed.

It's funny you mention that...I've been doing sort of the charles poloquin twist on german volume training and while I wouldn't (and don't think you could or should) do this perpetually it's been great. The first time was absolutely one of the sorest I have been in 25 years of training.

Hamstring curls x 10 reps
rest 90-120 seconds
Squats x 10 reps
rest 90-120 seconds
hamstring curls x 10 reps

That continues back and forth until 10 sets of 10 is completed.
Good one. That will work for a while. And yes, I can see how that would make you brutally sore.

Personally, I would do that routine for a limited amount of time so I would not overtrain. But that is just me. And I would rest minimally as possible between sets.

Have fun 😉

Seems that utilizing a variety of training styles would produce results. Tabata training can be similar, with the volume. Can be done as cluster sets too.
Wouldn't responsiveness also depend on about of fast twitch/slow twitch fibers someone has?

Seems that utilizing a variety of training styles would produce results. Tabata training can be similar, with the volume. Can be done as cluster sets too.
Wouldn't responsiveness also depend on about of fast twitch/slow twitch fibers someone has?

I don’t know, fast twitch vs slow twitch. Will take a bigger brain than my to answer that one 🙁

Tenny gave me a few good ones…

It’s been probably 10 years since I did this…. 60 sec rest only (which I’m sure I pushed after the 7-8th set) 315 x10 x 10 and reps didn’t count if not below parallel. No wraps, no belt. Never could replicate it…. And never got it again besides that fateful day. My quads locked up on me after, I remember that pain.

Another one was…. Deads (2min rest max if I remember correctly)
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 10
405 x 10
495 x failure
405 x 10
315 x 10
225 x 10
135 x 10

At the end, never has 135 felt so heavy.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws