over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

High or low volume training?

I literally did?

“What do you guys enjoy, and what has worked best for you?”

Never once asked “what is best for me”

Did you read the post or not? 😂

So the point of your post wasn't asking about ideas for yourself but rather you were/are just super interested in how everyone else trains?

Since you're new to the board you just really wanted to get a feel for what each member likes? Got it!

this topic comes up A LOT ..as if there is a "one-holy-grail" answer to it

IMO ..there is no "one-method" that will work "most efficiently" indefinitely
..your body gets used to it & then it stops working so well

^^^this is why "mixing it up" is the way to go
..it keeps your body guessing ..keeps it "shocked"

^^^this lifestyle is on-going self-education on not only what works best for you, but also understanding how/why it does
..we'r not all at the same level ..not just of development ..but of experience
..we don't all have the same level of mind/muscle connection

generally in my experience:
..those with a better mind/muscle connection ( ..& initial development) can utilize lower reps ..one working set etc more effectively
..if not then more reps/volume will work better to evoke that mind/muscle connection

^^^BUT regardless some body parts just respond better to volume

best advice: keep your body guessing ..shocked ..& adapting for best results

I'll be a wise ass and say "the one that works best is the one you can stick to the best". Basically covers it all. If you hate it, you probably won't last. If it doesn't work you'll hate it and it won't last. If you can't recover from it same story.

That being said I like lower volume. I do a push/legs/rest/pull/rest/repeat because it fits best with my job. So everything twice in 10 days. However I'll hit 1 or 2 sets of lats first excersise on push, hit 1 rest pause set side delts at the end of pull and calves as many days as I can. Push is between 12 and 15 sets, pull and legs are below 12 sets. Not counting the extras and not counting calves. After new years I'll lower push volume and increase legs to see if I can get them to catch up.

in my opinion there isn't only a way.
First thing i looking for the best exercise for every muscle, best exercise=best feeling with the muscles
Second thing, progressive overload
Third, if i'm in cut phase i use do low volume , if i bulk i use do a lot of sets (more carbs=more glycogen stores)
For me the best is switch every 6-8-10 ? weeks between low volume and high volume
hypertrophy is the result of variation in stimuli

I like this approach would try it if it wasn't for a crowded gym I can't dedi 2 hours per day. JP does mention that his sessions do go this long, factoring in warm up sets etc.

My only problem with this would be those muscles like rear and side delts you will stall out quickly. May have to add some volume work in. See tons of guys with chest, back, legs, even arms but won't look good unless you have some meat on the delt . I saw a video where a well known guy said the best type of training was DC style but you must add in some work for the arms and delts to get a balanced developed physique and not just be "big" but look like a bber.
I work out similar to the DC 2 way. For lagging body parts I'll throw a widow maker style set after a RP set. I'll also do a high rep RP or widow on the next day in the gym. So if say it's side delts, they'll get hit on A and B day. I tried with the 3 way but I found everything needed more frequency than E5D.

I work out similar to the DC 2 way. For lagging body parts I'll throw a widow maker style set after a RP set. I'll also do a high rep RP or widow on the next day in the gym. So if say it's side delts, they'll get hit on A and B day. I tried with the 3 way but I found everything needed more frequency than E5D.

I did well with DC 2 way EOD. And I’m like you I didn’t like the 3-way 4x a week, so I bumped up frequency to 2 on 1 off repeat. I only despise it when it falls back and legs two in a row.

I switch between high and low volume.......
High volume is three way split, one exercise per bodypart, three sets to failure on that exercise after warmups.
Each workout is 9 sets to failure total.

Low volume is the DC 3-way.

LOL

I started with high volume pushing things as hard as i could in my early days and got great results. As i got stronger i cut back on volume and did good. The only way to know what works is to do it. And it will probably change as the body changes and adapts. I can' say for the most part that i have ever seen a crappy training system that has been used by many. Now the over night sensations are a different story.

At 35+ years of training what works for me and kept me progressing through my late forties and arguably today is a low volume DC split.

I train every other day and get in 5-10 sets per bodypart, per session, which adds up quickly enough over a week.

At 35+ years of training what works for me and kept me progressing through my late forties and arguably today is a low volume DC split.

I train every other day and get in 5-10 sets per bodypart, per session, which adds up quickly enough over a week.
Do you follow the DC template or use straight sets to get to that volume?

I'm a big fan of the DC 5 way split myself. I need certain days to be the same each week just how I'm wired so never was motivated on the 2 or 3 way . I need to know say Tuesday is arms or it throws me off

What are you guys proponents of?

I see coaches like compton pushing up to 20-30 sets per body part.

Then I see other coaches on the exact opposite end with 6-12 working sets

What do you guys enjoy, and what has worked best for you?

As with most things in life, I've found somewhere in the middle is nice. I like to do one failure set and then 1-2 "back off" sets depending on how I feel. I've tried german volume training, one set to failure, etc. but I just find a little bit of failure mixed with some volume is the best for me.
to clarify, i am a proponent of low volume, high intensity (sets to failure or close) and high frequency. hitting a muscle group 3x per week.
I love, love, love doing it like this! I've been doing this so many years I've actually ended up combining methods into a push/pull/legs routine as the heart of the routine but then I add in higher rep sets for the other bodyparts. Sort of like if Jordan's program and fortitude had a baby. I've found I just need a little bit more on the individual days but I add in a little work on the "off" bodyparts to add up the frequency.

For anyone that hasn't watched, you should for sure check out Jordan's videos on full body, upper/lower, and PPL. Or should I say Push, Paul, Legs. :ROFLMAO: (you'll get the joke if you watch the videos).

What are some of the lowest volume high intensity programs? I know DC training. Any other good ones? I guess JP's u/l 2x a week split is pretty low 2 days of 2 sets per part or 4 total. His EOD split is 1 set eod per part so 3.5.

What are some of the lowest volume high intensity programs? I know DC training. Any other good ones? I guess JP's u/l 2x a week split is pretty low 2 days of 2 sets per part or 4 total. His EOD split is 1 set eod per part so 3.5.
Lowest volume would be some of Mezzers stuff. Too low if you ask me. Dorian's HD (1-2 works sets every 5-7 days) is lower sets and volume than DC.

I think volume through frequency is best, at lest for me. Kill it with one exercise, then again a few days later.

So the point of your post wasn't asking about ideas for yourself but rather you were/are just super interested in how everyone else trains?

Since you're new to the board you just really wanted to get a feel for what each member likes? Got it!
Yep, just looking to spark conversation and see what other enjoy.

I’ve done both high and low volume. I myself tend to enjoy high volume more, and so do my joints.

If you TRULY know how to take a set to failure with proper form then high intensity is the way to go. Especially if you’re serious about your goals. And especially if you really like to get after it in the gym.

If you just like going to the gym, looking good naked, or have superior genetics then a high volume approach is probably better.

But I’m pretty convinced for the genetic inferior that high intensity and progressive overload is a sure way to add muscle. Combine that with good genetics and 🚀

When I started training in the 90’s and being from the uk, Dorian was a big influence on mine and the lads I trained with. I remember we always used to think volume training was a waste of time ( I was young!). I think because of my formative years, I’ve never really been able to enjoy high volume training but being 45 now, I have found that high intensity constantly means my joints have taken a beating over the years and I should really try more regularly to use higher volume and reps for the sake of longevity

I’ll definitely try and stick to it when I grow up 🤣

Do you follow the DC template or use straight sets to get to that volume?

I'm a big fan of the DC 5 way split myself. I need certain days to be the same each week just how I'm wired so never was motivated on the 2 or 3 way . I need to know say Tuesday is arms or it throws me off
I do a basic DC template, modified to my needs. I currently training legs every other day and do a push/pull split alternating in every session.
Roughly two exercises per bodypart, failure at 10 or above with two RP mini-sets.
About 3-5 total sets per exercise, usually with a 15/8/6/4/10+3+2 setup.
Exceptions are arms (straight sets, 15 reps), non-pressing shoulders exercises, and legs. Leg training is an anomaly now until fully healed.

I always do high volume with pretty heavy weight but it’s not by design. I love to lift 2-3 hours in the gym is a great day for me. I always have gotten the results I want so never really changed. I do 8-12 rep range and at 44 my joints are all good and that’s with being a Marine and playing rugby so volume imo is a good route
How many sets are you doing per body part and are they all to failure

If you TRULY know how to take a set to failure with proper form then high intensity is the way to go. Especially if you’re serious about your goals. And especially if you really like to get after it in the gym.

If you just like going to the gym, looking good naked, or have superior genetics then a high volume approach is probably better.

But I’m pretty convinced for the genetic inferior that high intensity and progressive overload is a sure way to add muscle. Combine that with good genetics and 🚀
I’m someone who I’d say has less than amazing genes.

I’ve found for myself at least I need both high intensity and volume simultaneously.

What about a combination of both? Say arms day

Bb curls 1x20-30rp
Dip machine 1x20-30 RP

Then that person, once they have finished their set/sets that are intense focused on progressive overload they can play with volume destroy, fatigue, pump their muscle.

I guess almost like an fst7 routine but you don't need the structure for the volume pump work. You can get that part in quick with minimal rest for those of us who don't have 2 hours

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
105octane
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws