over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone train pretty much machine only

comedycentral

Registered
The older and more injured I get I am using machines more and more. It seems lately the stigma from the 90s 2000s that if your not free weighting then your not hardcore and your gainz will suffer has started to pass. I personally feel machines a lot more in the target muscle. Especially bicep preachers. I’m getting so lazy I even prefer selectorised over plate loaded as I can’t be bothered putting plates on and off. Anyone else pretty much machine only now?

I've gone the opposite but it's because I work out from home. That being said, I lift totally differently. I don't do the "super slow" thing, but it's 3-4 seconds down and a dead stop and then up. No bouncing, no momentum, and slow transitions from eccentric to concentric. It's really given me the feeling of machines and healed almost everything. Even squats...3-4 seconds down ass to grass with a full 1-2 second pause and then up. Heck I rarely do regular deads anymore and will do slower RDL's or non explosive good mornings.

My workouts are 80% free weights, 20% cable or leverage type machines. The cable/leverage work is always isolation work too. I prefer free weight still, but I’m not riddled with injuries either. That would change things for me.

Cage

I've gone the opposite but it's because I work out from home. That being said, I lift totally differently. I don't do the "super slow" thing, but it's 3-4 seconds down and a dead stop and then up. No bouncing, no momentum, and slow transitions from eccentric to concentric. It's really given me the feeling of machines and healed almost everything. Even squats...3-4 seconds down ass to grass with a full 1-2 second pause and then up. Heck I rarely do regular deads anymore and will do slower RDL's or non explosive good mornings.
My last deadlift was picking some shopping bags off the floor.

A muscle senses the Mechanical Tension and doesn't give a shit about what you're using.
Muscle Damage and Metabolic Stress don't give a damn either.
So the whole hypertrophy trifecta couldn't care less.

I used to be a guy - only free weights "machines are for pussies" because I come from powerlifting

today it's completely the opposite and 80% of my training is machines and I'm bigger than ever before - I believe that if you have a solid muscle and strength base then training on machines is much more beneficial when it comes to hypertrophy

"Machine only" training builds a collection of body-parts. Multi-joint barbell movements build a more functional machine.
Plus, spending my workout sitting on my arse isnt what I want to do... They are very handy as an add-on for me. But cant do it for 100% of my workout.
Until I get much older. (Im "only" 56) :)

I never got anything substantial in terms of muscle growth from free weights. Telling young bodybuilders that they're the best way to grow is akin to telling them to donate blood every 3 months - it's one of the great disservices done to the community.

The only exercises I use free weights on are lateral raises and front raises. Everything else is machines.

I never got anything substantial in terms of muscle growth from free weights. Telling young bodybuilders that they're the best way to grow is akin to telling them to donate blood every 3 months - it's one of the great disservices done to the community.

The only exercises I use free weights on are lateral raises and front raises. Everything else is machines.
I also use mostly machines... Targets the muscle in question much better than free weights imo assuming you have good machines at your disposal.

Same as others, can target muscles better with machine. Key is also hit small muscle in shoulder with PT type stuff as well a few times a week. Still like db chest press, bb and dumbbell curls, and pjr pullover currently. Also rear delt rows and flyes I feel better free and more explosive.

One pet peeve... triceps overhead extension with a rope or two long ropes attached to a single pulley. I feel it's ineffective, something with having 2 ropes attached to one stack I feel like the resistance is off and doing each arm at a time takes double the time. Machines with 2 stacks and cable are hard to find. For that reason I stick to barbell or dumbbell for overhead tricep work or use the bar on the pulley instead of ropes

Also for face pulls, I feel better with bands looped around a vertical pole than using the pulley and stack

At 56 years old I'm not trying to prove anything and trying not to get injured. Also can't recover from real hard training too. Mostly machines

I have been training consistently for over 20 years. At this point, I prefer machines to free weights.

I’m at 80% machines at this point. Just use some free weights to work stabilizers and or cables/bands. Joints feel way better and the machines nowadays keep getting better.

I'm a few weeks from 59, so training for a looonnnnnnggggggg time. I used to be a free weight guy.
Now it's dumbells for lateral raises and curls. Everything else is a machine. The last to go was free weight squats. I thought I was having a stroke and during my trip to the ER they discovered a fracture in my neck I never knew I had. Arthritis had formed and was pinching off a nerve so I was told no more squatting. I love squats but I also love walking and leading a normal life. LOL

I feel I get in as good a workout with machines, if not better.

I'm late 40s. Trained my whole life. I use mostly barbell and some dumbell. Various bars. Might start throwing in OLs again as my bumpers haven't seen enough action recently and need to be rowing more so will break out the Swiss bar which is easier on my joints.

Machines and cables get used more for isolation (except for pull downs where I use MAG Grips), when I'm adding volume beyond my basics, or just getting in some variety mostly in a down period.

I have a lat pull/low row for some cable work (used regularly for lat pulls and tri extensions) as well as a functional trainer. Also have a leverage belt squat, leg extension, leg curl, reverse hyper and 45 degree hyper.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainman5
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws