over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone train pretty much machine only

My gym has hand selected pieces from Atlantis, Prime, Hammer Strength, Cybex, Arsenal, Body Masters, Nautilus, Flex Leverage, Kore Strength, Gymleco, Rogers Athletics, Life Fitness, Magnum, Precor and Panatta (probably missing a few).

All of these are not random pieces but the best pieces from each line. Not sure how long ago you used Panatta, but they are fantastic machines. They are probably the smoothest machines and basically an improved version of all the classic pieces with better movement but more importantly improved path/motion to really enable (almost force you to use correct form) islotating the target muscle. Out of all the machines they get used the most.

Now if you want to talk about overrated, the most overrate piece is the Nautilus Pullover. Yes we have the orginal Dorian one. This piece is almost a myth due to it's reputation built up by people who never even seen one in real life, only have seen Dorian use it in old videos and are parrating about how they know some guy who used it and says it is amazing. And those that have the opportunity to use it, I would guess 90% of them don't even know how to or actually target their lats using it. Not saying it's a bad machine, but there is nothing magical about it. It is not what built Dorian's back.

While I have no axe to grind on the subject, free weights vs machines
and could care less what people do to get bigger and stronger; lifting a sack
full of rocks or 'state of the art' (what ever that means) exercise machines,
I do agree that the Nautilus pullover machine has achieved almost mythical
importance which was not hurt by the endorsement of Yates, Arnold (yes),
Franco (yes), Casey and Sergio.

Magical, no. The 'best', no, there is no best in exercise. Does if do what it
was designed to do, yes. Does it do it better than anything else, no. Is it
properly utilized, probably not as you say, but no more nor less than any
other piece of exercise equipment. Overrated? A pretty strong word but,
as some might say, the proof is in the pudding.

I have see written indorsements for Nautilus from Arnold and Franco.

Interesting story.

Before I met Arnold and after I learned about Nautilus he was on a popular
news talk radio show (am I showing my age?) in my area. So I called in.
I was the first person on the line ("we have a caller waiting") to talk with him.
I cut straight to the chase as I saw a disparity from what I read and what
I saw. So I asked him about it . . . what did he think of Nautilus as I had
seen his endorsements. (Remember this was live on the radio.) He pretty
much demurred, avoided, evaded the question, wound up saying they were
pretty a gimmick, won't last, can get better results from barbells and dumbells,
he never uses Nautilus. Sure.

End of story.

These folks below did much to popularize it.

Attachments

• arnol_pullover_2.jpg
    arnol_pullover_2.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 15
  • sw_n.jpg
    sw_n.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 17
  • sonp2.JPG
    sonp2.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 15
  • sonp.JPG
    sonp.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 14
  • oliva_pullover.jpg
    oliva_pullover.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 11
  • im_nautilus.JPG
    im_nautilus.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 11
  • arnold_pullover.jpg
    arnold_pullover.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 14
When i look at the guys in the gym that have always relied on machines i just do not see the density or thickness that i do with those that spent years lifting free weights. But that could be due to they type of person that gravitates to machines exclusively.

I think for a certain percentage of people, those who have poor biomechanics, machines may be better. Some people just can't get form right, and they will get 20 different people telling them 20 different answers. They may be better stimulating the muscle using overload using machine. Some exercises that imo are difficulty to feel, lateral raises, barbell rows, sldl for hamstring, etc

I think for a certain percentage of people, those who have poor biomechanics, machines may be better. Some people just can't get form right, and they will get 20 different people telling them 20 different answers. They may be better stimulating the muscle using overload using machine. Some exercises that imo are difficulty to feel, lateral raises, barbell rows, sldl for hamstring, etc
Good point and there's also people's individual levers. I'm long-armed. Close Grip Bench will never blow up my triceps like it will for a shorter armed guy. Squats are also going to be a challenge if I'm using them for quads. Tom Platz pretty much could have relied solely on Squats for his quads, just as Olympic Weightlifters do. That's right, the ones who have huge quads only Squat or Front Squat and for low reps but almost all are able to hit a low depth with an upright torso. Try having a pro-basketball player do that.

I used to buy into the dogma about squats and I still think they're great. But fast forward twenty years and a compromised lower back and I might tell a younger taller longer limbed bodybuilder that if they plan to do this for the long haul, relying on heavy barbell squats might not be the best option and instead consider stuff like Hack Squats and Pendulum Squats for their quads. Of course, lightening the load on Bar Squats might also work too. I grew up with Yates and Coleman so it was always "heavy 24/7". My point is, the whole "free weights are superior to machines" argument, while I used to believe this to be true, I've now come to the realization that in the long run, and if we're talking about joint health, it's not true. One isn't better but if not careful one has a greater chance to do damage (so then is it really better?). Ironically, I myself was injured on Squat Press machine that utilized a swivel. Very possible that if I was using a barbell might not have blown out my disc.

I know some folks aren't fond of Pullover machines. However, this is a good example of a movement that is magnitudes better on a machine because of the utilization of a cam. You can't really replicate the force curve (at least a decent one) with a bar or dumbbell. So even if you don't care for the machine, you can admit that the machine version greatly enhances this particular movement.

The older and more injured I get I am using machines more and more. It seems lately the stigma from the 90s 2000s that if your not free weighting then your not hardcore and your gainz will suffer has started to pass. I personally feel machines a lot more in the target muscle. Especially bicep preachers. I’m getting so lazy I even prefer selectorised over plate loaded as I can’t be bothered putting plates on and off. Anyone else pretty much machine only now?
Yep. I’m a young guy and I use machine only mostly. And actually I’ve grown more and gotten a way better look.

Totally agree.

I've had multiple guys that are very advanced, competitors, etc., who've seen me in person tell me I have dense muscle and my chest was built by Hammer Strength and Smith machines; my back was built by Hammer Strength and Smith machines; my legs were built by Hack squats and leg press; etc. When I cut 95% of the traditional free weight movements you're always told build the most muscle is when I started to explode.
hammer strength are a hybrid free weight / machine... machine in the context i was referring to is cable where the weight is displaced differently than say hammer strength.

?

Always is a pretty big word.
it is but it doesnt make it any less true.... what will build bigger legs... traditional squats or leg press? what will build a bigger chest.. traditional bench press or machine chest press?

Totally agree.

I've had multiple guys that are very advanced, competitors, etc., who've seen me in person tell me I have dense muscle and my chest was built by Hammer Strength and Smith machines; my back was built by Hammer Strength and Smith machines; my legs were built by Hack squats and leg press; etc. When I cut 95% of the traditional free weight movements you're always told build the most muscle is when I started to explode.
smith machine isnt a true machine like say a cybex or precor chest press is.. all a smith machine does is guide your movement. it locks you into a strict movement. it doesnt displace weight on your elbows, tricpes or chest...

Wish they would build something for rear delts besides rvpd. One machine imo is worthless, that tricep extension preacher like machine. Never seen anyone use it

Wish they would build something for rear delts besides rvpd. One machine imo is worthless, that tricep extension preacher like machine. Never seen anyone use it
There is a way to make it useful.Dante posted a video a while back on it.That is the only way I find it hits the tri's good.But yeah without modifying it with the correct seat position and holding the stretch position for five seconds before extending again

When i look at the guys in the gym that have always relied on machines i just do not see the density or thickness that i do with those that spent years lifting free weights. But that could be due to they type of person that gravitates to machines exclusively.
It is.

Has nothing to do with using machines or free weights.

It is.

Has nothing to do with using machines or free weights.
That could be but over the decades i have never seen anyone big thick and dense that trained on machines exclusively. I am sure there is the rare genetic freak who is. I have seen guys with bigger round muscles that use machines, but they still always look good but on the soft side to me. Far more people use machines in the gyms that i have gone to but i just don't see hard grainy monsters using them from the start.

Funny...I could use only this machine and I fry my triceps. Only thing with it is that these Seated Extension machines can sometimes be rough on the shoulders. Also, there are a few dedicated to Rear Delts. Cybex used to make one. Hammer makes one (it sucks IMO) and Pannatta makes one. I never got to use the Cybex but it looked like it could be great. I currently have a Nautilus machine that doubles as a Reverse Fly and Pec Deck. It has huge pads. It's worthless to me as a Pec Deck but works better than anything else I've used for Rear Delts.

Attachments

• Cybex Rear Delt.png
    Cybex Rear Delt.png
    999.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Nautilus Pec Dec:Reverse Fly.png
    Nautilus Pec Dec:Reverse Fly.png
    547.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Nautilus Pec Deck:Reverse Fly 2.png
    Nautilus Pec Deck:Reverse Fly 2.png
    592.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Panatta Rear Delt.png
    Panatta Rear Delt.png
    550.4 KB · Views: 7
I used to be a guy - only free weights "machines are for pussies" because I come from powerlifting

today it's completely the opposite and 80% of my training is machines and I'm bigger than ever before - I believe that if you have a solid muscle and strength base then training on machines is much more beneficial when it comes to hypertrophy
This is me as well.
I still use free weights and kettlebells to stay functional in my sports/hobbies. However for hypertrophy, machines all day.

The older and more injured I get I am using machines more and more. It seems lately the stigma from the 90s 2000s that if your not free weighting then your not hardcore and your gainz will suffer has started to pass. I personally feel machines a lot more in the target muscle. Especially bicep preachers. I’m getting so lazy I even prefer selectorised over plate loaded as I can’t be bothered putting plates on and off. Anyone else pretty much machine only now?
Yeah I think I do one free weight movement a week (db incline) and that’s it.

A muscle senses the Mechanical Tension and doesn't give a shit about what you're using.
Muscle Damage and Metabolic Stress don't give a damn either.
So the whole hypertrophy trifecta couldn't care less.

This ☝🏻

That could be but over the decades i have never seen anyone big thick and dense that trained on machines exclusively. I am sure there is the rare genetic freak who is. I have seen guys with bigger round muscles that use machines, but they still always look good but on the soft side to me. Far more people use machines in the gyms that i have gone to but i just don't see hard grainy monsters using them from the start.
If we are counting plateloaded hammerstrength type machines and cables in this equation, I may disagree with you a bit.

If not, I agree entirely.

Also, to your point, there’s something wildly beneficial about deads, barbell rows, squats, and barbell bench. It brings a density to a physique that’s hard to replicate on a fixed ROM machine.

The question probably comes down to will more muscle fibers in the body be engages from a free weight movement or from one where the machine helps stabilize the load. Can't say i have seen any good studies along the lines of an EMG to have any clear understanding. Opinions will differ.

I
Funny...I could use only this machine and I fry my triceps. Only thing with it is that these Seated Extension machines can sometimes be rough on the shoulders. Also, there are a few dedicated to Rear Delts. Cybex used to make one. Hammer makes one (it sucks IMO) and Pannatta makes one. I never got to use the Cybex but it looked like it could be great. I currently have a Nautilus machine that doubles as a Reverse Fly and Pec Deck. It has huge pads. It's worthless to me as a Pec Deck but works better than anything else I've used for Rear Delts.
I may have to see if my gym has a pec Dec and try for rear delts. Never bothered to play with one as presses are more than enough for chest. But will try for Rd

If we are counting plateloaded hammerstrength type machines and cables in this equation, I may disagree with you a bit.

If not, I agree entirely.

Also, to your point, there’s something wildly beneficial about deads, barbell rows, squats, and barbell bench. It brings a density to a physique that’s hard to replicate on a fixed ROM machine.
I don’t want to get into the machine vs free wgt debate…. I just know when I’m finally broken down enough to have to use machines a large piece of my soul will die.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ndsabvra
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws