over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

46 YEAR OLD BACK TO GYM NEEDS HELP

ThickOne

Newbies
Hello Guys, I am NOT a "true" beginner as I've lifted weights off and on for years.

I am 46 (soon to be 47 end of the year), I am about 5'7" and I weigh about 185 pounds and I haven't looked at a weight in over a year. I haven't seriously lifted in almost 10 years.

I have a desk job (Banker), but I also coach a girl's high school soccer team and I often participate in the practices with the girls and I am so out of shape it's pathetic.

My athletic background is wrestling and track (sprinter) in high school and wrestling in college. I took assorted martial arts and was in incredible shape up until about 7 or 8 years ago. I have had numerous resurgences, but I always fall back into old habits.

I have 2 young daughters who play soccer and are extremely talented and I want to be able to halfway keep up with them and quite frankly I am sick and tired of looking like this, especially when for most of my life I've always taken pride in my appearance. Plus I've looked at a lot of the photos here and I realize I used to look like that (maybe not as big, but sure as hell that cut) and I wonder what happened

Here are my goals.

1.) Get back into cardio shape.

2.) Drop about 25 pounds or more of fat.

3.) Gain about 10 to 20 pounds of muscle.

4.) I want to be LEAN and not too bulky! Think Frank Zane look!

5.) I don't want to enter any contest.

6.) I want to see my abs again.

7.) Open to very moderate low dose cycles and I have cycled in the past

8.) Willing to take peptides.

9.) Looking to start ASAP.

10.) Need to reach my goals by End of August.

I'd post a before picture but frankly I look so bad I'd be ashamed to show it :) , but I will take a before picture for the record and post when I am done.

I had back surgery in 2002 (L4,L5 car accident) but overall I am ok to lift. I just had my blood work done and here are the results.

a.) Test 463
b.) FSH 5.1
c.) LH 2.3
d.) Cortiso,Rand 5.1
e.) Prolactin 2.3
f.) Cholesterol 179
g.) Triglycerides 72
h.) HDL 55
i.) LDL 115
j.) ratio 3.4
k.) PSA .8
l.) TSH 3rd gen .72

All other lab work within normal limits including all liver enzymes and so on. BP is 120/70.

I have no clue as to body Fat, but it's HIGH and I always seem to hold water now a days.

Here are my weak and strong body parts.

WEAK

1.) Arms (bi's tri's forearms) this use to be a strong point for me
2.) Quads
3.) Lats
4.) No visible abs
5.) upper pecs (left pec is a tiny bit bigger)

STRONG

1.) Shoulders (best part they get massive)
2.) Traps
3.) Delts
4.) back
5.) Lower pecs
6.) Calves (they get huge)

Guys I need some help and advice. I have been out of the game for so long I don't even know where to start. I sure would appreciate any help and input anyone is willing to offer. Diet, Training formats, cycles, anything that will help me.

Thanks in advance. I promise if you help me I'll return the favor by sticking to it.

The only thing I have to offer is my success will be your reward and I am sure good kharma wil come your way.

Thanks again for taking a few minutes of your time to read this and I appreciate any and all advice.

Ok, I'd start with a three day a week training program. Concentratew on the key elements like Squats, Deadlifts and chest. Work your chest with more dumbell work and keep your sets to about 3-4 per exercise and around 12 reps per set. Use the pyramid principal and ascend the weights. Do 4-5 cardio sessions per week, this can be with your team or on your own and still do some work with the girls on the feild. Up your protein in take to 1.5gms per lb BW. and cut your fat intake drasticaly. Keep you carb intake about the middle of the road. Rice, potatoes and pasta are fine during the day. Cut those types of carbs out from around 1-2 in the afternoon and replace them with greens.
Training split might go something like
day1 chest and back, or chest and bi's
day2 legs and shoulders
day3 arms on their own (bi's & tri's) or back and tri's
Abs at each of the three days. Include big compound movements on the large muscle groups and work intensly, about 1 minute rest between sets.
Drink huge amounts of water all day long and stay away from softdrinks and alcohol. Get a good whey protein for in between meals and post workout.
This should get you started

You need to figure out your nutritional needs, but first you need to get your ass back in the gym at least on a "consistent" basis. Your caloric intake will be based on your activity level so if you're not going to be consistent in the gym, there's no use focusing on a diet.

You should be able to achieve your goals without any juice. If after a lengthy go at it you and you cant achieve goals, the you can rethink. You need to loose BF and not too fast so you can retain and/or gain LBM.

Wow this looks like a great start back program. Not too complicated, very sound, and an easy routine to follow.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

I will work out my meals and routine next couple of days and start on Sunday.

Ok, I'd start with a three day a week training program. Concentratew on the key elements like Squats, Deadlifts and chest. Work your chest with more dumbell work and keep your sets to about 3-4 per exercise and around 12 reps per set. Use the pyramid principal and ascend the weights. Do 4-5 cardio sessions per week, this can be with your team or on your own and still do some work with the girls on the feild. Up your protein in take to 1.5gms per lb BW. and cut your fat intake drasticaly. Keep you carb intake about the middle of the road. Rice, potatoes and pasta are fine during the day. Cut those types of carbs out from around 1-2 in the afternoon and replace them with greens.
Training split might go something like
day1 chest and back, or chest and bi's
day2 legs and shoulders
day3 arms on their own (bi's & tri's) or back and tri's
Abs at each of the three days. Include big compound movements on the large muscle groups and work intensly, about 1 minute rest between sets.
Drink huge amounts of water all day long and stay away from softdrinks and alcohol. Get a good whey protein for in between meals and post workout.
This should get you started

You're exactly right. One of the issues I have had was I had lost so much size and strength that I kept getting discouraged. It's hard to explain, but when you go from 110 pound flat bench dumbells to struggling with 45 it can get to your ego, plus life has just changed so much the older my kids get.

Now it's work, soccer practice, piano recitals, trips, family vacations, school plays, and so on. I'm sure you know what I mean. I just let life kind of slip by and didn't focus enough on my health and before I knew it my PLANS to work out became years of a "temporary lay-off" from lifting.

Thanks for the kick in the ass, the motivation, and your opinion. I appreciate it.

You need to figure out your nutritional needs, but first you need to get your ass back in the gym at least on a "consistent" basis. Your caloric intake will be based on your activity level so if you're not going to be consistent in the gym, there's no use focusing on a diet.

You should be able to achieve your goals without any juice. If after a lengthy go at it you and you cant achieve goals, the you can rethink. You need to loose BF and not too fast so you can retain and/or gain LBM.

Last edited:
I know I took a year off of training after I got out of highschool and I was miserable.

If you get back into 'training mode' I think you'll find the motivation to keep it up. If not there are alot of good bro's on this board to keep ya goin'.

I def agree with oldfella on a three day program. Once you get back into gym shape and comfortable with the weights again, IMHO, you could bump it up to a 5 day split.

BigA has an article that has a great 3 day plan in it.

If you are consistent, a diet with a slight caloric deficit will get you where you want to be. (As long as it's clean)

This is however, my opinion. There are much more knowledgeable bro's here.

I know I took a year off of training after I got out of highschool and I was miserable.

If you get back into 'training mode' I think you'll find the motivation to keep it up. If not there are alot of good bro's on this board to keep ya goin'.

I def agree with oldfella on a three day program. Once you get back into gym shape and comfortable with the weights again, IMHO, you could bump it up to a 5 day split.

BigA has an article that has a great 3 day plan in it.

If you are consistent, a diet with a slight caloric deficit will get you where you want to be. (As long as it's clean)

This is however, my opinion. There are much more knowledgeable bro's here.

Thnak you for your advice and input. I will keep a weekly log to track my progress.

You're exactly right. One of the issues I have had was I had lost so much size and strength that I kept getting discouraged. It's hard to explain, but when you go from 110 pound flat bench dumbells to struggling with 45 it can get to your ego, plus life has just changed so much the older my kids get.

Now it's work, soccer practice, piano recitals, trips, family vacations, school plays, and so on. I'm sure you know what I mean. I just let life kind of slip by and didn't focus enough on my health and before I knew it my PLANS to work out became years of a "temporary lay-off" from lifting.

Thanks for the kick in the ass, the motivation, and your opinion. I appreciate it.

Hello, im kinda new here too but this is exactly what my situation was 3 months ago. Desk job, wife, 2 kids, not much time.... so....

I started on a 3 day a week lifting plan, I lift for 30-40 min at noon, and another 30-40 min after work MWF. I split up my bodyparts so I can really focus on each one. I also incorporate elliptical cardio m-f

I too was frustrated with 'only' being able to rep 45's on my bench when I started, but im up to 90's now already, totally clean no gear. My only suggestion on top of what already has been said is.. lift the weights that are appropriate for you NOW.. the poundages will come in time. I had to fight my ego wanting to jump up to 'real' pounds, but Instead I worked on my form, avoided injury and let the increases come in time. The first month or so I didn't see much in gains, but the 2nd month.. watch out! Gluck and keep with it and you will find your success.

Sup-

Sup. I started back to the gym this week. My body aches everywhere. i've set a goal for September 1st. I am committed to see this project through.

Thanks for sharing your experience. it gives me some encouragement

Sup. I started back to the gym this week. My body aches everywhere. i've set a goal for September 1st. I am committed to see this project through.

Thanks for sharing your experience. it gives me some encouragement

:D

OH YEAH.. man that first week was tough.. I was sore in muscles I didn't know I had..

advil is your friend

it does get better :D keep up the hard work!!!!

It's been one week today

Just finished my first week of my 16 week program to transform my body.

Thankfully Gavin Kane has taken me under his wing for 8 weeks.

I started his diet and workout program today.

I took some before pics and will take an after picture September 1st, 2007

Just finished my first week of my 16 week program to transform my body.

Thankfully Gavin Kane has taken me under his wing for 8 weeks.

I started his diet and workout program today.

I took some before pics and will take an after picture September 1st, 2007

Awesome.. I just added deads to my workout, im so glad I took a month or so to prepare for deads. I did lots of rows the previous month, plus hypertension for lower back. Those two really eased the pain of deads since im lifting in the 300's for reps already. Back is really sore for 2+ days but since ive never done deads before, I never really believed how well they work your back. setting new PB's in pretty much all my lifts.. did 95 dumbells for reps (flat bench) on monday so I KNOW you will get up there real soon

Keep up the good work and don't forget to post updates!

My Update

I started back in May 18th, but was so out of shape I just did cardio and had a hard time hitting my diet and was so sore the next day from each workout.

So I "officially" started on June 1st, 2007. The previous 12 days were to get me in shape to 'get in shape".

It's been 9 days today. I am slowly getting the hang of this routine and I am really watching my diet.

My cycle started about a week ago and I know sounds weird, but even one week has made a difference in so many ways. I have 91 days to go to reach my goals.

I'll post a weekly update.

Thanks everyone for the motivation.

As to deadlifts I've never done them, but I have back issues (surgery) so I've stayed away from them. LOL

You're also slinging some heavy weights now that's so cool for 3 months. Back in the day I'd do 100 110 for reps now it's 45 pounds. It's hard to get old. LOL

Good luck with your progress and again thanks for the motivation.

Last edited:
BACK

I just wanted to 1. congratulate you on your decition to change and 2. Make a "head's up" to include in your routine some combination of leg curls / hyperextensions or some cable work for your lower back.

I had the same surgery you did on L4/L5 and L5/S1 done 10 years ago. First few where very dangerous because my low back and glutes where extremely weak. Later I made a workout focussing on getting these 2 areas to be my best parts. I have moved on from that initial routine into more advanced ones (Thanks Phil!) and have had no problems doing SLDL and other back moves.

You need to make that area the strongest in your body to compensate for the structural problem.

Hope my experience helps.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner