advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

A little off topic- applying to graduate school (Clinical Psychology)

overman

Registered
Hello residents Psychologist(s),
I am preparing for a telephone interview and need some additional help. Do you remember what type of questions you were asked during your interview? Any specific questions that you can recall? Also, what questions, if any, did you ask? Any additional thoughts, ideas, and/or suggestions?

Thank you
Justin

overman said:
Hello residents Psychologist(s),
I am preparing for a telephone interview and need some additional help. Do you remember what type of questions you were asked during your interview? Any specific questions that you can recall? Also, what questions, if any, did you ask? Any additional thoughts, ideas, and/or suggestions?

Thank you
Justin
Hi Justin,

Which type of program are you applying to? Master's? PhD? PsyD? Do you know which type of training model they use? Like, is it clinically focused or research focused or both? The answer to these questions will help frame the type of questions they will ask you and they types of questions you should be asking them.

Either way, first and foremost, BE YOURSELF. This is the most important part of the process because at this point it is all about finding the RIGHT PROGRAM for YOU. You will be miserable if you end up somewhere that isn't a good fit for you. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE! Make sure you can clearly articulate your reasons for wanting to be admitted to this particular program, what you hope to accomplish while you are there, and what they have to offer that will help you achieve YOUR goals. This is just as much about you interviewing them as them interviewing you. So be sure to ask the questions you are truly curious to know about the program. The ones that will help you make this very big decision.

As far as the questions they might ask you... depending on the type of program, they will want to know about your clinical experience and your research experience and what you learned from each. They may want to know if you prefer a certain theoretical orientation and what type of population you'd like to work with. They may also want to hear about any publications you have or are working on. They will very likely ask you about your ulitmate career goals. And if you are interested in working with a particular faculty member, they will want to know why. Again, these will all depend on the type of program you are applying to.

Btw, if all else fails, get them to talk about themselves and/or their research. Academics LOVE to talk about their research... :)

Choosing a graduate program is one of those life-path-determining decisions... and clinical psychology is a tough, tough path. But also a very rewarding one. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask or shoot me a PM.

Good luck!!!
Natalie

Unfortunately, I do not possess any research experience. Even worse, I have not worked in mental health, let alone in a clinical setting. I have, however, worked with, albeit indirectly, with those suffering from psychological disorders. I found these individuals extremely unique and very rewarding to assist. And more importantly, I listened!

I applied for a PsyD Clinical program but I was not deemed a qualified candidate for reasons stated above and some early poor performance in college. The committee decided to consider me for the MA Clinical, more as a 'proving ground' though. The decision is actually what I had anticipated and I am still very excited.

As far as my application, I have stressed more of my interpersonal skills, positive attitude, personal attributes, emotional stability and overall enthusiasm and interst in Clinical Psychology. Below you will find possible questions and my "first draft" responses. Please be brutally honest and CRITICAL!

1) Why do you want to be a psychologist?
- I would like to become an expert at helping people find their way through life’s difficulties. I would like to help others overcome feelings of distress, help mend relationship problems, resolve career and family conflicts, accept and overcome physical illness, work stress, substance abuse, addiction and of course, the anxiety and depression that can accompany these challenges. In general, I am interested in dealing with those challenges that affects peoples’ emotional or mental state and any corresponding behavioral changes.
2) What qualifications do you possess that will make you a successful psychologist?
- I possess an insightful, accepting and professional perspective. Meaning, I am conscientious of peoples feeling and attitudes. I recognize, appreciate and embrace diversity- other cultures, belief systems and values. I am an accepting and inherently, altruistic person. And most importantly, I am committed to patient confidentiality and delivering effective treatment.
3) Will you tell me a little bit about yourself as a person?
- Not to sound like a personal ad but I am 25 year old, who, at first, is shy and reserved but enjoys every moment. I rarely say disparaging things of others, I am always quick to protect and care for those in need, and will always try to do the right thing regardless of consequences. I love Ribeye steaks, Cabernet Sauvignon, and the gym. I am a simple, humble and practical person. I am very respectful, polite, courageous and intuitive. And lastly, I cherish uniqueness.
4) Do you think your grades are valid indicators of your academic ability?
- Early in college, I was learning to adapt to new surrounding, expectations, and the rigors of college. I was maturing, growing and trying to discover my passion. Eventually, I discovered Psychology. Psychology afforded me the opportunity to learn about human behavior- primarily what motivates each of us!! I absorbed every morsel of information- almost effortlessly- even to an excess of reading every new psychology journal. I worked hard, overcame my deficiencies and excelled- a 3.7 GPA in Psychology course work.
5) What do you see as your strengths and weaknesses?
- Inquisitive- Asking questions ad nauseum. Twenty questions is my game and I play to win. I tirelessly ask questions, more often in private than in public. Curious- I possess a compulsion to learn and examine. Innovative- I love to think and evaluate.
- Public speaking (weakness)

6) What do you bring into the program?
- An insatiable appetite for knowledge and excellence. However, I truly enjoy seeing EVERYONE succeed, especially peers. I love collaboration- the exchange of ideas. Finally, optimism, charisma, and a competitive spirit.
7) What are your special attributes?
- I am a dynamic individual who yearns to discover the unknown, provide care and most importantly, respects, appreciates and embraces differences.

These are not "scripts" but ideas that I am trying to internalize and express. Remember, this is a "rough draft"- still in progress!!

Thank you Natalie. This means alot and I do not even know you!!

Last edited:
overman said:
Unfortunately, I do not possess any research experience. Even worse, I have not worked in mental health, let alone in a clinical setting. I have, however, worked with, albeit indirectly, with those suffering from psychological disorders. I found these individuals extremely unique and very rewarding to assist. And more importantly, I listened!

I applied for a PsyD Clinical program but I was not deemed a qualified candidate for reasons stated above and some early poor performance in college. The committee decided to consider me for the MA Clinical, more as a 'proving ground' though. The decision is actually what I had anticipated and I am still very excited.

Cool! This sounds like a great place to start. You'll get your feet wet and find out if clinical psychology truly is your passion. Since you are applying to a PsyD program, the emphasis on research is much less. It's probably okay that you don't have any experience, especially if you don't ever plan to hold an academic research position once you are done. Research is a requirement for all PhD programs and I imagine you will have to do some to get your Master's, even in a PsyD program, but again... it all depends on the specific program requirements of your school.

As far as my application, I have stressed more of my interpersonal skills, positive attitude, personal attributes, emotional stability and overall enthusiasm and interst in Clinical Psychology. Below you will find possible questions and my "first draft" responses. Please be brutally honest and CRITICAL!

All good attributes to emphasize!

1) Why do you want to be a psychologist?
- I would like to become an expert at helping people find their way through life’s difficulties. I would like to help others overcome feelings of distress, help mend relationship problems, resolve career and family conflicts, accept and overcome physical illness, work stress, substance abuse, addiction and of course, the anxiety and depression that can accompany these challenges. In general, I am interested in dealing with those challenges that affects peoples’ emotional or mental state and any corresponding behavioral changes.

Okay. These are very broad areas of interest. Not saying that you can't address all of these in a clinical or counseling setting, indeed, clinical skills overlap in all of these areas, but you may want to focus your expertise on just one or two... like depression and anxiety, or addictions, or marital counseling. It may take time to figure out in which of these areas you possess the most effective treatment skills, but are there one or two areas that interest you the most? Admissions folks are gonna want to know that you are focused and serious, and not trying to save the world.

2) What qualifications do you possess that will make you a successful psychologist?
- I possess an insightful, accepting and professional perspective. Meaning, I am conscientious of peoples feeling and attitudes. I recognize, appreciate and embrace diversity- other cultures, belief systems and values. I am an accepting and inherently, altruistic person. And most importantly, I am committed to patient confidentiality and delivering effective treatment.

This is good. But you might want to reword some of it, especially the last sentence. It sounds a little like you're telling them what you think they want to hear, using a lot of jargon and whatnot. Just remember to BE YOURSELF. If your answers aren't genuine, it will show.

3) Will you tell me a little bit about yourself as a person?
- Not to sound like a personal ad but I am 25 year old, who, at first, is shy and reserved but enjoys every moment. I rarely say disparaging things of others, I am always quick to protect and care for those in need, and will always try to do the right thing regardless of consequences. I love Ribeye steaks, Cabernet Sauvignon, and the gym. I am a simple, humble and practical person. I am very respectful, polite, courageous and intuitive. And lastly, I cherish uniqueness.

This is a little hokey. Sorry... :) I would take out the personal ad bit and the ribeye steaks. I know you are trying to make it sound like "get to know the real Justin," but don't let your professionalism slide in the process. If it were me, I would talk a little more about you hobbies, working out included, what you like to do in your free time, mention the books and journals you have read, and maybe your family influences and role models, etc. I would keep the part about being quick to protect and care for others, but maybe add a specific example of a time when you acted that way.

4) Do you think your grades are valid indicators of your academic ability?
- Early in college, I was learning to adapt to new surrounding, expectations, and the rigors of college. I was maturing, growing and trying to discover my passion. Eventually, I discovered Psychology. Psychology afforded me the opportunity to learn about human behavior- primarily what motivates each of us!! I absorbed every morsel of information- almost effortlessly- even to an excess of reading every new psychology journal. I worked hard, overcame my deficiencies and excelled- a 3.7 GPA in Psychology course work.

Good. It's very important to talk about overcoming weaknesses. Remember to answer the question though... It's a very direct one. They are looking for a very direct answer. And an honest one.

5) What do you see as your strengths and weaknesses?
- Inquisitive- Asking questions ad nauseum. Twenty questions is my game and I play to win. I tirelessly ask questions, more often in private than in public. Curious- I possess a compulsion to learn and examine. Innovative- I love to think and evaluate.
- Public speaking (weakness)

Take out the "ad nauseum." That just has a negative connotation. Asking questions = good. Ad nauseaum = bad. LOL. Curious and innovative, good. Keep both of those and just add specific examples. Regarding public speaking as your weakness, expand on that and talk a little about how you work to manage or overcome that.

6) What do you bring into the program?
- An insatiable appetite for knowledge and excellence. However, I truly enjoy seeing EVERYONE succeed, especially peers. I love collaboration- the exchange of ideas. Finally, optimism, charisma, and a competitive spirit.

I love the first sentence. I would put your third sentence second and take out the "however."

7) What are your special attributes?
- I am a dynamic individual who yearns to discover the unknown, provide care and most importantly, respects, appreciates and embraces differences.

All of these answers are very good, Justin. I would just keep working to expand upon these ideas a little and add specific examples wherever you can. Once you have these nailed down, the interview should be a piece of cake!!

Thank you Natalie. This means alot and I do not even know you!!

No problem, whatsoever. Good luck!!

My answers are in blue... :)

I appreciate your objectivity. I forgot to mention, I also have a degree in Philosophy making my thoughts "unique"- actually, a little hokey!! Damn Sartre and Nietzsche! And it is quite apparent- do not worry, I enjoy criticism! Oh, neither the ad nauseum nor the personal ad statement will be used. I thought I might add a little "prepared" humor in case I stumble.

My first answer is incomplete, I agree. My personal statement indicated my desire to focus on depression (social rumination), anxiety and personality disorders (a family history sparked this interest). Even substance abuse is a possibility (again, family history). Since I have yet to work in mental health, I have not identified a specific population or group I enjoy working with.

The "Who I am" statement definately needs revision. Thank you for pointing that out. It is pretty hokey! Parts, I agree, are worth keeping but, I need to focus on your suggestions (which are excellent by the way).

My grades are not stellar by any means but i am trying to avoid excuses and being evasive- a little public relations work!

I will definately include examples and experiences to accompany my ideas. I will revise and "submit" again.

This is very beneficial. Thank you!

If you do mind me asking, what is your background? What prompted you to enter Psychology? What is your specialty?

overman said:

Very good. You can see why they didn't accept you for the program? Okay. Have you done any research or studies? Any at all? Do you know faculty or have a mentor that does? Have you had any work published in any journal?

Do you even like research? Perhaps the MA is the best choice for now, maybe not. It sounds like the school may be research oriented. Will they give you room to research and an environment to conduct studies to support your research? If not, do they provide grants? SO MUCH depends on the school and from what I hear, some PsyD's require as much research today as some PhD's depending on the institution. Teaching classes is a good start if your not strong on research.

I guess you have many questions to ask yourself and should definitely be in touch intensively with an academic advisor (whomever that may be). It's a huge undertaking and large amount of dough toward something in which you have only "indirect" experience with. Wouldn’t you agree? Definitely not fodder for a bodybuilding forum...

I think you could work academically towards what you want and eventually get accepted for your program but be sure that’s what you love - Because if you don’t love it, you will most assuredly hate it!

Good luck.

p.s. Oh NO! Don't knock the philo major! It's the father of all sciences and all th emajor disciplines! We love philo!

Last edited:
First, thank you for taking an interest in my dilemma. I totally agreed with and accepted the committee's decision- it is probably in my best interests. My lack of research is apparent, but my reasons are not. This, as you can imagine, will be explained during my interview.

My experience with those suffering from psychological disorders has been in health care, just not in mental health. Interestingly, when given the opportunity and under comfortable circumstances, those with psychological disorders can be very open and honest. I take great pride in building rapport with patients, especially those with psychological disorders. I have met, interacted with and befriended many individuals who suffered from severe mental distress.

'Dough', luckily, is not an issue. Yes, this is a great blessing but a curse as well, trust me!

By the way, this has become an invaluable tool for me. You are addressing concerns the panel will ask. I am now considering their point of view as well as some "appropriate" responses. Although, answering a question like, "Why do you want to be a Psychologist?" is not always easy. Much like asking Tiger Woods, "Why do you play golf?"

Thanks
P.S. I never would have imagined asking for "help" on a bodybuilding forum. Incredible!

overman said:
My experience with those suffering from psychological disorders has been in health care, just not in mental health. Interestingly, when given the opportunity and under comfortable circumstances, those with psychological disorders can be very open and honest. I take great pride in building rapport with patients, especially those with psychological disorders. I have met, interacted with and befriended many individuals who suffered from severe mental distress.
Yes, trust is the first step. If that is a strength of yours, demonstrate it. I apologize if I seemed abrupt. Strongmind is smack in the thick of things and I'm a few years out. Things have changed a bit academically. I feel for candidates today. Research is seldom rewarded by anything groundbreaking and your experimental results can be picked apart until the results reach a level of ambiguity that renders them worthless.

This is not a BBing forum like most. Many here are professionals in one form or another and those that aren't are amateur endocrinologists, philosophers, and excellent diagnosticians. I'm often surprised by the level of proficiency despite being outside the academia. In the real world, this would have liability written all over it as you can imagine.

I thought Strongmind, as usual, made many a good critique of your Q&A and I felt no reason to expand on any of it. The one thing, if I had to get picky, was you stated that your experience with patients was rewarding for you. Impress to the committee how it was rewarding for them (the subjects) if possible and the scientific community at large. Try to get face-to-face with them if at all possible. I certainly wouldn't want to have to summarize my worth to the community through a telephone. Obviously, you may not have a choice per their protocol.

Again, take care and best to you.

overman said:
I appreciate your objectivity. I forgot to mention, I also have a degree in Philosophy making my thoughts "unique"- actually, a little hokey!! Damn Sartre and Nietzsche! And it is quite apparent- do not worry, I enjoy criticism! Oh, neither the ad nauseum nor the personal ad statement will be used. I thought I might add a little "prepared" humor in case I stumble.

My first answer is incomplete, I agree. My personal statement indicated my desire to focus on depression (social rumination), anxiety and personality disorders (a family history sparked this interest). Even substance abuse is a possibility (again, family history). Since I have yet to work in mental health, I have not identified a specific population or group I enjoy working with.

The "Who I am" statement definately needs revision. Thank you for pointing that out. It is pretty hokey! Parts, I agree, are worth keeping but, I need to focus on your suggestions (which are excellent by the way).

My grades are not stellar by any means but i am trying to avoid excuses and being evasive- a little public relations work!

I will definately include examples and experiences to accompany my ideas. I will revise and "submit" again.

This is very beneficial. Thank you!

If you do mind me asking, what is your background? What prompted you to enter Psychology? What is your specialty?
No problem... Seeking feedback is critical, even if it's from people you've never met on a bodybuilding message board, of all places :)

I have to second what OuchThatHurt stated, and I can't emphasize this enough... THIS IS A HUGE INVESTMENT OF TIME, MONEY, and ENERGY. Grad school will be your life for the next however many years (for me, 6 so far...) IF YOU'RE NOT 100% CONVINCED THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO TO, AND THIS IS THE PROGRAM FOR YOU, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD... DON'T DO IT!!!! Take your time in making this decision and if there is ANY doubt, wait.

As for me... I am a doctoral candidate in clinical psychology. I am currently working on my dissertation and my specialization is in body image disturbance and eating disorders. My interest in psychology stems in part from my own issues and experiences and trying to understand them...

I hope my feedback has been at least somewhat helpful. Good luck with everything!!

Good morning. After reading my initial posts, your responses and criticism, I feel much better. I am committed to completing this program, provided I am accepted. Financially, emotionally and physically. It really is an expensive (in various ways) endeavor.

Hey Ouchthathurts, as far as research, I explained to Geoffrey Miller (a brilliant evolutionary psychologist and author of THE MATING MIND) that while on a cycle, after an intense workout (with heavy sweating and early morning injections) women would spend much more time staring and assessing my physical stature. I would get LONG stares, not just glances. After cycle, just glances, no long stares!! Yes, I am a little odd, but I would count the number of "looks" and how long they "looked". Interesting results. Certainly not a formal experiment, but something to consider. He is very interested, just difficult to study- methodology, ethics and all!!

Here at UNM, Steve Gangestaad asked men to wear t-shirts for an extended period of time and later, asked women to "smell" the shirts and then rate physical attractiveness (among other things). They found the shirts worn by men with high testosterone levels were rated high on attractiveness. Those with low levels of testotsterone, as you would expect, were rated low on physical attractiveness.

Thanks

Strongmind

Good luck with school. I really admire those who enter psychology. And again, thank you for your time and expertise!! I will probably have a few more questions, if you don't mind.

Take care,
Justin

overman said:
while on a cycle, after an intense workout (with heavy sweating and early morning injections) women would spend much more time staring and assessing my physical stature. I would get LONG stares, not just glances. After cycle, just glances, no long stares!! Yes, I am a little odd, but I would count the number of "looks" and how long they "looked". Interesting results. Certainly not a formal experiment, but something to consider. He is very interested, just difficult to study- methodology, ethics and all!!
They stare at me too! I always thought it was because of my pink leg-warmers... The idea of a gym full of women licking their chops while watching me sweat through a workout certainly appeals to my "mating mind" but then again, I'm just a "naked ape".

(little psych humor there)

overman said:
Good luck with school. I really admire those who enter psychology. And again, thank you for your time and expertise!! I will probably have a few more questions, if you don't mind.

Take care,
Justin
Thanks, Justin. I'll need it for sure!! The next two years are gonna be brutal! Good luck with your interview and feel free to drop me a line anytime.

OTH... pink leg warmers, huh? Exactly WHO are you trying to mate with?? LOL!!

Accepted!! MA Clinical! Next, PsyD!

Thank you strongmind and outchthathurts. Your "brutal" honesty allowed to me rediscover why I love Psychology. Your input, suggestions and questions were very beneficial and helpful. But more importantly, I can now pursue my passion. You were not joking about a financial commitment- holy crap!

Take care,
Justin

overman said:
Thank you strongmind and outchthathurts. Your "brutal" honesty allowed to me rediscover why I love Psychology. Your input, suggestions and questions were very beneficial and helpful. But more importantly, I can now pursue my passion. You were not joking about a financial commitment- holy crap!

Take care,
Justin
Congratulations, Justin!!! Glad I could help. Good luck!!! :)

Aww, Nat look! A new egghead was just born... Aww...

Seriously Justin, all the best and congrats. Like there was any doubt!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws