over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

AB Exercises with lower disc probs

mikeheavypecs

IFBB Judge
JUDGES
Hey Bros,
I have done a search on here first, but I seem to have a unique situation. I have L4-L5 Disc Deterioration and there seems to be limited AB exercises to do. Curretly I have fairly good abs but not deep and they are from the lying crunch machine(where you lay flat on your back on a machine with your legs around a bar attached to weights and you do crunches...weighted crunches). What other AB exercises can be done to deepen the abs but not put undue force on the lower discs?

The owner of my gym does these "INNER CORE" exercises and although I haven't tried any, I dont' see how they would help that much with deep ab development. I am 272 at no more than 7% bf and have a contest in April and need to do more work on my abs.........

Thanks all!
Mike

Many powerlifters do them standing. Use a lat pulldown machine with a tricep rope or ab strap. I think there are exercise descriptions at www.elitefts.com in their exercise index.

PB

dam bro 272 wow post up some pics leading into your contest prep

Hanging leg raises maybe. To tolerance. Inner core? No such thing.

i have L5/s1 diusk issues because of scoliosis from cerebral palsey.. personally if i ignore my core and dont do pilates type planks on the swissball etc then i cant do my heavy ab work, ie 120lb crunch on ball, and my fave hanging knee raises, but i do these only from 90 degrees and up, ie thighs no lower than paralell, this cuts out the hip flexors to a degree with less lower back torque... dunno if this will help, if it does maybe you can help me get to 272lb lol

I currently have a client with a similar problem, I've found that the most effective ab routine consists of a crunch circuit. Flat on your back hands behind your head for 20 slow steady reps, then feet up knees bent for another 20, then right elbow to left knee and vice versa for 40 reps and finally legs straight up in the air and touch your toes for another 30 reps. Works wonders!!

your best bet is abdominal breathing exercises, this is one of the best things anyone can do for their abs period and no one hardly does them. it would be perfect in you situation.It is is all i do and my abs are ridiculous.it will give you the right kind of abs that are defined beyond belief but not blocky

Last edited:
The majority of ab exercises cause increase intradiscal pressure as they are compressive in nature...You are basically pulling your rib cage toward your pubic bone. this can aggravate and inflame existing disk problems.
I have herniated discs at L4-L5 and L5-S1 and have been motivated to develop an incredible midsection as it is the only way to support the compromised discs. No weaknes in the legs so no consideration of surgery for me.
Anyway, eliminating intradiscal pressure with a circuit is the absolute best approach.
1. Hanging Leg raises, strict for 12-15 reps
2. Reverse Crunches on a 20 degree incline for 15-20 reps
3. Rope crunches form 20 repetitions.
Rest 90-120 seconds and repeat twice. Watch what happens. Best of luck

Dr D

your best bet is abdominal breathing exercises, this is one of the best things anyone can do for their abs period and no one hardly does them. it would be perfect in you situation.It is is all i do and my abs are ridiculous.it will give you the right kind of abs that are defined beyond belief but not blocky

More infos about this, please.

Many powerlifters do them standing. Use a lat pulldown machine with a tricep rope or ab strap. I think there are exercise descriptions at www.elitefts.com in their exercise index.

PB

Beat me to it, PB!

I was going to suggest this when I saw this thread - these are a great ab exercise that's easy on the back!

also these 3 breathing exercise down the page on this link are excellent for learning how to breath and control you abs so you can do the other exercise i posted even better,plus they are great on their own

**broken link removed**

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity