YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anti oxidants and timing. Which ones are all stars and when to avoid consuming them.

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I had a similar thread 4-5 yrs ago and was going to bump it but decided not to. It seems that it is best to avoid Vitamin C and Vitamin E around training.. However, some people like Mike Arnold have no problem putting a moderate 500mg dose of Vitamin C in their pre workout. Also, Jim Stoppani has 600mg NAC in his PreJym.

Personally, I stopped taking Vitamin E unless in full spectrum form(all 8 Isomers such as Jarrow FamilE...and actually would more likely choose Jarrow Toco-Sorb for the concentrated formula of 4 tocotrienols.

I am pretty big on anti oxidants and I use some real heavy hitters such as PQQ, Astaxanthin, and Pterostilbene. In addition to that, Ubiquinol, Curcumin, Vitamin C. ALA and Melatonin are staples. NAC I'd say I use half the year while Toco-sorb is rotated in at times as well.

I find myself taking things like Ubiquinol, PQQ, Curcumin, Astaxanthin and maybe even ALA or Ptero within an hour or two pre or post workout. My question is...do any of you know if there is any evidence of this having negative connotations with its consumption around the workout? Obviously I am not popping these immediately pre or post...but if I have a meal 60-90 minutes before and take a bunch of these, I want to know I am not negating the proper damage and repair process that may be necessary. Thoughts?

I believe dr Scott Stevenson wrote about this for one of the muscle mags....

I had a similar thread 4-5 yrs ago and was going to bump it but decided not to. It seems that it is best to avoid Vitamin C and Vitamin E around training.. However, some people like Mike Arnold have no problem putting a moderate 500mg dose of Vitamin C in their pre workout. Also, Jim Stoppani has 600mg NAC in his PreJym.

Personally, I stopped taking Vitamin E unless in full spectrum form(all 8 Isomers such as Jarrow FamilE...and actually would more likely choose Jarrow Toco-Sorb for the concentrated formula of 4 tocotrienols.

I am pretty big on anti oxidants and I use some real heavy hitters such as PQQ, Astaxanthin, and Pterostilbene. In addition to that, Ubiquinol, Curcumin, Vitamin C. ALA and Melatonin are staples. NAC I'd say I use half the year while Toco-sorb is rotated in at times as well.

I find myself taking things like Ubiquinol, PQQ, Curcumin, Astaxanthin and maybe even ALA or Ptero within an hour or two pre or post workout. My question is...do any of you know if there is any evidence of this having negative connotations with its consumption around the workout? Obviously I am not popping these immediately pre or post...but if I have a meal 60-90 minutes before and take a bunch of these, I want to know I am not negating the proper damage and repair process that may be necessary. Thoughts?

PQQ, PTero and curcumin should not have a big effect because they work on another mechanism as VITC (something with cox2 i remember a bit^^)
Dr Rhonda had a video about it some time ago

Vit C and NAC are fine in a pre setting if using nitrates.

There’s plenty of data out there showing excessive doses of antioxidants inhibiting hypertrophy due to becoming pro-oxidative.

A lot of this has to do with reactive oxygen species (ROS)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nac better after wo due to mucus. read up on ca on that.

while i find glut also helps my lungs feel "cleaner" nac i feel is stronger in that. i do glut pre and cant say i notice the nac runny nose part.

ala can play with bg. keep that in mind for training too. again tons of old info on ca.

ptero pre for nerve excitation

idk if ubq is similar to idb in terms of fat solubility.
for fatty sol stuff i take in am w coffee if need be or with food only.

ax i think is for sod. dont think it matter but for me that goes w glut pre.

any im admins pre always, preferably into muscle. helps big time with the feely stuff

;)

PQQ, PTero and curcumin should not have a big effect because they work on another mechanism as VITC (something with cox2 i remember a bit^^)
Dr Rhonda had a video about it some time ago

ptero also works on mtor

jm mentions something about mtor and cardio. might want to look into and consider how ptero might come into play if being obsessive but i think negated with long term use.

there may be some contradiction in the mtor for bb vs endurance.
forget off hand right now.

This question bothers the hell out of me and the only info I can really find is the c and e study you ate referring to. I don't take any antioxidants for three hours pre and two hours post but I bet it doesn't make much of a difference when using AAS haha

Very good topic and I find myself taking antioxidants around my workouts anyway, despite being aware of the studies, simply for convenience. I can say it didn’t inhibit muscle memory on AAS from experience. As far as new muscle goes, I can’t say for sure.

Been thinking about this as well. Before bed sounds good to me in theory, my own theory :D Away from workout times and when your body regenerates and when you want to reduce inflammation which the body does during good sleep anyways. A stack of Q10, melatonin, Pycnogenol, NAC, ALA, Vitamin C etc. But who the hell knows how a big stack of different antioxidants interact together anyway - impossible to know, right? :D

LK3 is there any benefit to taking your sups when your slin is peaking?
Or would that be bad? Thanks

nac better after wo due to mucus. read up on ca on that.

while i find glut also helps my lungs feel "cleaner" nac i feel is stronger in that. i do glut pre and cant say i notice the nac runny nose part.

ala can play with bg. keep that in mind for training too. again tons of old info on ca.

ptero pre for nerve excitation

idk if ubq is similar to idb in terms of fat solubility.
for fatty sol stuff i take in am w coffee if need be or with food only.

ax i think is for sod. dont think it matter but for me that goes w glut pre.

any im admins pre always, preferably into muscle. helps big time with the feely stuff

;)

Knight, how much of the toco sorb and familE do you take? I was taking the red palm fruit capsule but went to Swanson full spectrum at 2 pills a day to save some money. After this bottle runs out I was going to move to just take some red palm oil to try and save money again but the jarrow products seem affordable.

Knight, how much of the toco sorb and familE do you take? I was taking the red palm fruit capsule but went to Swanson full spectrum at 2 pills a day to save some money. After this bottle runs out I was going to move to just take some red palm oil to try and save money again but the jarrow products seem affordable.

Really like the red palm oil by nutiva. Great combo of saturated and mono saturated fat.

When it was a staple, I'd take one a day of either I believe...not both. Toco-Sorb I will take one a day when I implement it again. The Palm Fruit product is also a great looking product, but yes more expensive as I remember.

One thing to consider... what are your antiox levels to begin with? And intracellular nutrients?
If you like to have these things checked out, and not just take handfuls of supps, consider Spectracell testing
**broken link removed**
Takes measurements from within the white blood cell
Not only checks antioxidants, but many nutritional elements.
Ive done this a couple of times, was very helpul. gave me direct answers as to what was fine and what was deficient

Last edited:
LK3 is there any benefit to taking your sups when your slin is peaking?
Or would that be bad? Thanks

i think the best answer is it depends on how specific you mean that. lol

in general i would say there is not a simple benefit

but! i have seen some things about slin with alc and other things. i have not tied but did read some way of doing a alc load with slin n other stuff to swell up.

things like res n ptero may make you more slin sensitive, always a good thing.

i think this all gets way over complicated. after 20 years of constant obsession of what goes in n how, the best way is what works for your day to day life.

;)

Here's the thing...my "all stars" are the three that follow...

Pterostilbene - (superior resveratrol)
PQQ - (donates and recycles ROS 20,000x vs Vitamin C's ability to do it 4x.)
Astaxanthin -"King of carotenoids"
*Glutathione inject is something I haven't yet tried but will be very soon for longevity and health.

Curcumin and Ubiquinol are staples and there is enough info and awareness on this board where I do not need to waste time or space here explaining why. I do want to try injectable Curcumin and I admittedly do not know if BCM-95, Meriva, Longvida, or consuming with Bioperine and Capsacium is best orally.

Vitamin C I use almost entirely for its role in collagen formation/synthesis..otherwise, I would probably not use supplemental form and just get this through specific foods.

Vitamin E (tocotrienol) like Toco-Sorb I haven't taken for about a year but will likely implement with my last meal prior to bed in the near future. Not sure if I will ever make this a staple.

ALA I am adding back in because it recycles Vitamin C and E as well as is great for the liver and a GDA. Probably should go back to being a staple for me.

NAC I will rotate back in when I up my doses or do an oral. It's also great for flu season but this is something I likely use approx 6 mos of the year.

Melatonin is something that I have used VERY sporadically but I think I will be adding it in as a staple for longevity.

NAD+ is something I have held off on. I will probably try 750mg for a couple months at some point and try to decipher if it's worthwhile or not.

These are my thought processes with my antioxidants and if I should keep or drop them. Thoughts welcomed..

is it ok to take Vit C 30min after workout or it s pro-oxydant ?

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws