over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Artificial sweeteners?

I know that aspartame is a very unhealthy artificial sweetener, so I avoid it.

I always have loved my OJ, and drink the tropicana light n healthy with calcium. This has 1/2 the carbs as normal OJ and was sweetened with splenda, which I thought was safe. I bought some today and noticed it is now sweetened with stevia. anyone know anything about this? what is the safest artificial sweetener?

i've did some reading on stevia. it's been around forever, but can't seem to catch a break in the US by the (bought and paid for) fda. it's a natural sweetener many times more sweet than sugar, but the fda won't allow it to be called a sweetner. it must be refered to as a dietary supplement. if you were to buy it in bulk or raw some manufactures stevia blends aren't sweet at all so if you were wanting to buy it raw then research where you get it from...

stevia is the only natural sweetener i know of. If you are trying to stay away from aspartame cause you think its bad, you might wanna have a serious look at splenda.

Stevia tastes like crap though IMO

I second that. Stevia is supersweet. All natrual and been around forever. I buy mine from Whole Foods or the Vitamin Shoppe.

It does take some getting used to. I will make my daughter's Kool Aid with it, but only 4-5 packets. Its way too sweet, but better than sugar and Ive heard negative reports about aspartame. I Yahoo'ed it and came up with a slew of negativity. Heres just one.

**broken link removed**

What exactly do artifical sweeteners do to ones health?

I know it probably isn't the best thing but I drink roughly 8 cans of diet soda every day. The only sugar I actually drink is the 2 teaspoons I put in my coffee in the morning.

I'm honestly asking what harm diet sodas cause in the human body. I have done this for maybe 2-3 years. I get routine blood checks (HRT) and I get a full check-up every year where almost every test is run.

I drink roughly a gallon of water per day as well. Sometimes this has some propel or crystal light too.

I will stop if I can find proof that I am doing harm.

Id wager that most BB's only use stevia instead of splenda or whathaveyou because stevia uses a fiber instead of maltodextrin in it. Mdex has a glycemic index unlike aspartame, so for guys on a low carb diet its a no go. Thats why im not using splenda right now.

I too have heard aspartame is bad for you but from my understanding of it, the reward outweighs the risk :D

I second that. Stevia is supersweet. All natrual and been around forever. I buy mine from Whole Foods or the Vitamin Shoppe.

It does take some getting used to. I will make my daughter's Kool Aid with it, but only 4-5 packets. Its way too sweet, but better than sugar and Ive heard negative reports about aspartame. I Yahoo'ed it and came up with a slew of negativity. Heres just one.

**broken link removed**

wow thats a nice link, thanks for the info bro. looks like my choice to avoid aspartame was a good one!

Uhhh....some evidence or research please?

Let me throw something out for some of you Aspartame haters....

1. If the two amino acids that make up Aspartame were dangerous, in the very tiny amounts that they are, then explain to me why people who consume very large amounts of these 2 amino acids in their protein drinks do not feel the same?

2. Why isn't there a ban on certain fruits, and fruit drinks who also have methanol as a byproduct? In order for the methanol in the diet soda to have any effect, you would have to drink upwards of like 75 cans per day, months on end.

Most of the carcinogenic complaints were extrapolated from murine and rat models who are already at high risk of such diseases, and do not come close to representing the same for humans. Most murine models are at very high risk for tumors as it is to begin with. Humans are way different. Also, rats lack glutathione transferase systems like humans, which makes a huge difference in metabolizing compounds.

I think if diet sodas give a person a headache, they should just eliminate them, sort of like a person does who is sensitive to milk, peanut butter, cheese, eggs, veges, coffee, ephedrine, AAS etc. Doesn't mean it is the same or bad for everybody though.

If somebody can show me some real studies of negativity, then i'll take them in, but throwing up links to Mercola, studies where it was administered to animals brains and who also had underdeveloped blood-brain barriers, or that Sucralose is bad because it is a "chlorocarbon," etc.....doesn't cut it for me.

I like Stevia, but another thing to think about....there is literally tons of research done on both aspartame and sucralose with absolutely no for-sure proof that it is harmful, meanwhile only small and limited amounts of research has been done on Stevia.

Me likes all the sweeteners though, so no hating on Stevia either;)

Take it easy:)

BMJ

Last edited:
Splenda is potentially harmful because it contains chlorine, which is a carcinogen(cancer causing agent).
The Splenda marketers insist the chlorine is chemically “bound” so it cannot be “released” in the body during digestion.
There is no direct link to splenda and cancer though thus the fda can not deem it unsafe, only links to chlorine in the body causing cancer and much much more.

Splenda is potentially harmful because it contains chlorine, which is a carcinogen(cancer causing agent).
The Splenda marketers insist the chlorine is chemically “bound” so it cannot be “released” in the body during digestion.
There is no direct link to splenda and cancer though thus the fda can not deem it unsafe, only links to chlorine in the body causing cancer and much much more.

Interesting. Never heard that before,,but like SPLENDA.
Any research?

Interesting. Never heard that before,,but like SPLENDA.
Any research?

I just recently heard that, but the media keeps spinning on this topic. Personally, there is so much more out there that will harm us and I doubt Spenda will cause a sudden death or side effect. I will take my chances with splenda before I will with eating fried chicken every day (even though that sounds yummy right now). But, I wish I could just make it through out the day without a damn diet coke...I guess in moderation:D

This assumption is brought upon by those with absolutley NO scientific knowledge and who try to extrapolate their opinion into fact. The harmful Chlorocarbons have no relation to sucralose (trichlorosucrose) other than it has chlorine atoms.

Splenda is a chlorocarbon, but just because it is classified as one, does not mean that it, trichlorosucrose, will have the same negative effects as more commonly used chlorinated insecticides such as chlorocyclohexane and DDT, which ARE toxic. You have to look at a compound as a whole and how the atoms are distributed/arranged in that compound, and not simply because it has chlorine atoms present/bonded to it.

You have to remember as well, that if it were only a matter of a molecule having chlorine atoms attached, then stuff like Table Salt, which is NACl would also fall into that category and be considered harmful as well. I do not see a rush for people trying to outlaw salt though.

That all being said, Sucralose is excreted from the body anyway and not absorbed into the blood, and what small percentage is metabolized into water soluble metabolites, are quickly excreted thereafter.

BMJ

This assumption is brought upon by those with absolutley NO scientific knowledge and who try to extrapolate their opinion into fact. The harmful Chlorocarbons have no relation to sucralose (trichlorosucrose) other than it has chlorine atoms.

Splenda is a chlorocarbon, but just because it is classified as one, does not mean that it, trichlorosucrose, will have the same negative effects as more commonly used chlorinated insecticides such as chlorocyclohexane and DDT, which ARE toxic. You have to look at a compound as a whole and how the atoms are distributed/arranged in that compound, and not simply because it has chlorine atoms present/bonded to it.

You have to remember as well, that if it were only a matter of a molecule having chlorine atoms attached, then stuff like Table Salt, which is NACl would also fall into that category and be considered harmful as well. I do not see a rush for people trying to outlaw salt though.

That all being said, Sucralose is excreted from the body anyway and not absorbed into the blood, and what small percentage is metabolized into water soluble metabolites, are quickly excreted thereafter.

BMJ

i didnt say i agree'd with it, i was just answering the question that was asked.
The real answer is no one knows for sure until there are studies done specifically on splenda and its counterparts.

BMJ

good point - simple logic cannot be disputed!!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131