over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

carb depleting and carb loading

bears26

Registered
i am doing my first competition next saturday and my carbs have been at
100g for around the past 5 weeks. i am cutting out all carbs today and i was wondering if im starting to early or if its just trial and error and as far as carb loading, how many carbs should i intake? and should it be the day before the show or should i wake up around 4am and start loading? and how many carbs do you think i should take in? i was told that 400-500g is plenty....weigh in is at 9am and prejudging is at 11am. im weighing around 175ish, right now im around 4%bf mostly water. im taking in 2gallons a day and starting sunday its 3gallons. any advice would be awesome thanks guys i appreciate it

This is a huge question to be looking for answer to in just a week out.

My first thought is how do you look each morning now?
Are you kinda dry, very dry, little dry?
When you train do you get a good pump?

I do have much experience in this department. I too am a middle weight. with 28 shows under my belt. I have found at 100grams or less of carbs a day with training, cardio, working and living you may very well be very depleted right now. So, to pull all carbs out maybe be counter productive.

Again so many thoughts go into a good answer here. Since I have never seen you my suggestion would be as follows.

Since this is your first show DON"T do any crazy over board stuff.
Keep that water high 2.5 to 3 gallon a day is great. (next you will wonder about what to do with water later in the week.) My gut here is to KEEP it high. Much more to discuss here.

You seem to be more concern about carbs. My suggestion would be to stay the coarse at 100gm a day because I assume you look good. You might consider going up 25 grams a day starting Monday. This way you will be double your current amount by Thursday. Now you are at 200carbs. Do that Thursday and Friday. Your body is a burning machine right now. Sat have all your meals ready. Tons to talk about in this area too.

I'm not sure if this is your first post about nutrition or about competing. This is a HUGE topic the final week to show prep. At this point you will get real confused about alot of stuff if you have not been doing the research. So, I will just say if you are looking your best each morning each day GREAT. That is the worst you can look. Sight changes and color will give you a better look. Stay away from water pulling meds please.

I'm sure others will jump in to help,
Best of luck to you. I have always loved the show week,
K

each morning when i look in the mirror i look really cut w veins in my abs so im pretty dry and i do still get a good pump when i work out, and have done my research about this quite abit but i hear different things which i expected because everyones body is different. yes i feel wore down and tired from school, training, and cardio so im sure ur correct about already being depleted my meals as of now have been:

breakfast: 8eggwhites and 1 cup of oatsmeal w/water no milk
preworkout:20 grams of protein
postworkout 40 grams of protein
lunch:10oz of chicken w/no sodium 1/2 cup brown rice
snack: 40grams of protein
dinner: 10oz of chicken again w/no sodium
snack: 40grams of protein before bed

Water: when should i cut back on the water? i was told 3 gallons sunday-wed, then 2quarts on thursday, 1 quart on friday, then none day of...does this sound correct?

Carbs: so up the carbs 25grams starting monday and have it at around 200g thursday and friday? what about the day of... what should i do for meals before prejudging

As far as this being my first post ...yes it is i was just told about this board yesterday and i love it, so much info and the people seem great, i just want to learn more and more and yes ur right about the last week being kinda confusing but this is the best i've ever looked and been busting my ass with posing and in the gym. and yes i will stay away from water meds. i really appreciate hearing from guys like you thanks buddy

Hello Bear,

Ok, thanks for the additional information.

Glad to hear you are looking so sharp in the morning. Also glad to hear you have your 7 mandatory poses down. That is very important you set your poses from your feet to the smile on your face. Make it look easy. I know it is hard work. Just smile like it's not:)

NOTE: this show week do not over pose and dont pose hard. If you do you will use up the carbs you are trying to store up. After Thursday only soft poses. For the most part I would rather you just relax as much as possible.

Water. Think about how you look first thing each morning after having 2 plus gallons the day before??? NO NOT cut water the way you described in your last post. It's wrong you see my point? If you go up to 3 gal Sun, MOn, Tues, Wed, Thur, then Friday lets go to 2 gal by 6:00pm then 6oz with meals till prejudging. OR OR keep water high till bedtime Friday night and 6 to 8 oz with meals till prejudging. POINT is this is your first show you need to try something but not as drastic as you stated. YOUR body needs water to keep muscle full, you sound like you are pushing your water very well.

Food: Where the heck are your veggies my friend? You really need the fiber in 3 meals. I would suggest you get aspargus in there for 2 or 3 meals at 6 or 8 stalks per meal. It is a great natural diruetic. I'm not going to say anything else about nutrition at this time. YES, I do need to ask a question when you say: 20 or 40 grams of protein 4 times what do you mean? Protein shakes? I have a feeling thats what you are telling me. IF so next time PLEASE get off all shakes 3 weeks out and go 100% whole foods. It will show in a better looking body.

Carb up ALWAYS should be done with the current carbs you have been eating. Next time I would make sure in your diet you change carb source each 3 weeks. Then roll into you show with cream of rice as your carb source. THIS time do it with oats and brown rice like I suggested before.

Prejudging and day of show should be your same meal plan as Thursday and Friday. I will say after prejudging you might want to go get a 2 pancakes and some egg whites for lunch. Go easy on the water if you think you are in the hunt for winning your class. IN FACT if others feel you are really in the hunt go have your lunch. Get back on your meal timing and go relax till the meeting before the night show.

You do know to shave full body I suggest Wednesday night no later. You know about exfolating in the shower for several days leading into the weekend to get all the dead skin off the body. Next do you have your tanning all planned out? Are you a light skined guy? have you been tanning? I'm Irish so it takes alot of color to get me dark. Do you have a plan here?

Please start a list of everything you need for show day. Details my friend. List it all out dont be running around all day Friday trying to get your act together. We want you to be CALM and in the ZONE all week.

OK, Back to you,
Best of luck,
K

this is awesomeeeee. thanks man i appreciate your time.

k let me get this right on the money:

POSING: i will do what you said about not posing to hard which makes alot of sense.

Water: so 3 gallons mon-thursday then 2 gallons friday til 6pm then 6oz with meals til prejudging

Food: i have been eating some greens with my eggwhites in the morning usually raw green peppers but i will add more fiber and yes the numbers i described are protein shakes and i have been substituting them with chicken the last 2 days

Carbs: 200 thursday 200 friday and what do u think i should do before prejudging as far as right before i get on stage, i know you said stick to the meal plan but im unsure of what to eat to bring me to fullness, show my vascularity and my cuts i def dont want to go on bloated

shaving and tanning protocal: i am arriving early and getting a spray tan that is specifically related to bodybuilders called jantana the lady does it every yr for competitors and i spoke with her about starting sunday(tomorrow)exfoliating in the shower plus moisturizing after each shower...heres my question ill have time to shave friday before i get the 2coats of spray tan why should i do it wed or no later? and yes i been tanning the last 6 weeks i am as dark as i am gonna get with a tanning booth

"THE LIST" has been made: i have 2 cds of my posing music ready to go
two pairs of black posing trunks
flip flops and clothes
entry form has been in along time ago
just need to buy my npc card when i arrive
hotel is set
spray tan appt is set
got my oatmeal and someone making me all my food aka brown rice and chicken
and i have all my goodies ready to go(let me no if you think i should add anything else)

thanks again for everything this is a huge help

now im really confused this guy just told me to do this:

dont forget to up your potassium, and you'll get ritarded vascular from 1000mg of arginine, naicine, and 1000mg of lycine. this explanes it all very simple.
So we are at week 1 (show week) we are at a carb depleted state and we are at
a water loaded state. All water needs to be distilled and avoid sodium. We in
turn supplement Potassium for electrolytes / cramp reduction.
Day 7 of week 1, we cut the water in half and start by double the amount of
carbs. As the days progress increase carbs by about 15% so we should be at
about our 12 week amount the day before the show. We will be in turn reducing
our prot as the carbs increase to keep the calories and bloating down.
Water by day 4 should be half again what it was on day 7. Water depletion is
again not total 0 but a manipulation that the body still thinks it has to
flush this huge amount out. The tricky part is this; in order for the carbs
to work it needs enough water. So not enough water means we will be flat. Sip
the water all day do not drink lots at once.
The week of the show no weight training for legs, they will appear smooth.
So what have we done?
Increased water has a large metabolic effect making us burn calories as well
as keeping us from retaining water weight.
We increased our cardio in turn increasing oxygen saturation and increase
weight loss.
Prep for sodium depletion by maintaining intake.
Reduce muscle glycogen to prep for Carb loading by reducing intake slowly
over pre contest prep.
Maintain lean muscle by increasing the prot intake.
Glycogen load the muscle the week of the show to increase definition and size
by increasing carb intake the week of the show.
Sodium deplete by reducing all sodium intake and using the opposing
electrolyte potassium.
Reduce any dermis tissue inflammation by reducing water intake.
End result; Onion Skin, vascularity, and definition galore!!

does this sound correct? cus both of ur opinions sound great i just dont know which one to follow and he does have credentials such as urself so im like torn in between let me no what u think

Mr Bear,

First when I say shave early it is for the fact that razor n your skin is cutting you in some degree, It can casue water to come to the site to heal. Just a rule of thomb I follow.

Now you just showed me someone elses thoughts on prep. You will find me concertive, This cuy is adding in many changes that I say are risky. My suggestion is do make slight changes now and roll with it. See how it goes. Take notes, Then the next show try something else, Don't get too many cheifs in the kitchen,

I'm glad the shakes are out. Next time get them out waaaay sooner, Try 85% whole food most of the way next time.

YOu wabt a treat before going on stage. Make sure you have you normal meal 30minutes before stage. Timing is difficult on show day you will see. If you want to take a tbs spoon of honey that is fine when you start to pump up sip some water, > Remember we are trying to NOT rock the boat too much. You have a goof look now lets just tweek it for this show. No fancy tricks. Close your ears to crazy stuff. Just keep looking each morning when you rise. We will take that look into the show.

So, how tall are you and what show are you doing?

Best of luck. Keep working on that list of what to have.

The list is a good start:
sweat pants and baggie top
rubber gloves in case you have to touch yourself up
small blanket if its cool back stage or to lay on. Many shows it can get cold.
extra undeerware
if staying at a hotel take your own OLD sheets and pillow cocers. Your color will trash the hotels. It;s just better to be prepared to not do that,
ayou just keep thinking like extra water in a few gallon jugs. money, camera if you like.

Back at you,
K

k thx again 4 get back to me,

i am 5'7 comp weight 175lbs and offseason around 192lbs, after this show im def bulking to get bigger but i am doing the mr and mrs buffalo 2010 march 27

so u think stay w the 3 gallons or go with the one like the other guy said and carb up 25 grams each day

and u think it will be a bad idea to shave on friday?

Bears, theres many different opinions on how to run the last week. My advice if i can give some is to take one persons view you trust and that you feel will work for you.
The problem with trying to take snippets from different peoples opinions/methods is that one and each method will work in its own right if THAT method s followed solely. But if you try snippets of each thing you are told, the differing methods may not work together and maybe even against each other.....:(

Listening to to many people will only confuse you....trust me i know this from experience. Don't over complicate things....

Like has been said, right down what youve done so that you know what youve done for next time and know if anything needs to be changed.

Good luck fella..;)

brabus,

Thats a great idea im gonna write down everything ....i never thought of it, because im def gonna be doing alot more shows after this, hopefully i can get some sponsors to help me out because as a college student its hard working 2 jobs, classes , training, diet and worrying about the competition but this semester is a light one for me so i figured id be perfect to give this a go. i've always wanted to do it and i want to do it for as long as i can and maybe someday play with the big boys...i appreciate everything you guys have said to me and ill keep you posted on everything all the way up to the show as i will be bringing my lap top with me. thanks again.

Bears, as was said too much input will be confusing, so my suggestion is to work with K who has given you very solid advise and what I like about his advise is keeping things simple.

Right now work with K and only his advise as he has been there and done what you have and is relating to what you are going thru. I have seen so many young bodybuilders asking and questioning every Tom, Dick and Harry for advise on competing only to confuse themselves with all the different answers which lead to failure.

K, solid advise and good to see you taking the time in working with Bears as he does need ONE mentor in his corner.

Bears good luck in the show and just remember this that no matter what the placing is you are a WINNER for being on that stage.

thanks thick i am gonna stick to k's advice the guy does know his shit

thanks guys i will fill you in on how everything works out.

Bear,

I think the last question you had for me was about the shaving. I dont know if you are real harry or not. I'm just saying that when doing total body shaving that puts the body under stress from the full body slicing of the skin. So there can be a reaction of maybe holding water. It's a long story. If you can shave Wed. of not thats ok. I was just giving the best advise I can. There is much I do not know of about you.

I do know this we are both the same height, same show weight and right now I;m 195 and have not competed since 2007.

I have kept a journal of all contest prep to all my shows. I recorded alot of data. Many life experences, family events good & bad plus all my prep info. Then I would do a post show wrap up. I know it's late for this show. But next time you might consider it. If your into learning about yourself it's worth the effort.

Please do the water like I suggested. Like both guys just said you can have more information from many people and your head will spin. You will not make good decsion if you try a little bit from everyone. I and most guys that are progressive and suscessful in this sport have one or two go to guys. I have only had 2 total in 10 years. Sure I love to talk about this stuff to anyone who cares to listen. When People start telling me do this do that I just listen and thank them for there suggestion. Then I go back to my game plan.

Ok, please keep the board aware of how your week is going. We are all behind you.

Thick, thanks for your kind words. I like this board and what I have seen here. Can't believe how long it took me to find it. Have you seen my screen name before?

Have a good week BEar enjoy this final week. Then get on that stage and show them you came prepared,
K

k,
Im not really hairy, i shave then have stubble in 2 days or so

But thanks i will be posting this week as to how its going and when im done im sure ill have some pics to post. so lets see how it all works out.
Thanks guys i will def do my best, i havent trained this hard and dieted this hard for nothing so hopefully ill do well.

thanks again,

Bear

thanks for that info guys but i researched that along time ago....just been drinking plain h20.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws