over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Case Is Closed: Multivitamins Are a Waste of Money, Doctors Say

desibaba

Banned
LiveScience.com By By Bahar Gholipour, Staff Writer 2 hours ago

People should stop wasting their money on dietary supplements, some physicians said today, in response to three large new studies that showed most multivitamin supplements are ineffective at reducing the risk of disease, and may even cause harm.

The new studies, published today (Dec. 16) in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine —including two new clinical trials and one large review of 27 past clinical trials conducted by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force — found no evidence that taking daily multivitamin and mineral supplements prevents or slows down the progress of cognitive decline or chronic diseases such as heart diseases or cancer.

"The message is simple: Most supplements do not prevent chronic disease or death, their use is not justified and they should be avoided," the physicians wrote in an editorial published along with the studies.

This message is especially aimed at people who have no signs of nutritional deficiency — meaning most supplement users in the United States, the researchers said.

"Study after study comes back negative — yet people continue to take supplements, now at record rates," said Dr. Edgar Miller, one of the five authors of the editorial and a professor of medicine and epidemiology at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.

There may be a psychological component to taking supplements, Miller said. Despite evidence showing supplements hold no benefit for the general population, some people may rationalize they need supplements because their diets lack necessary nutrients, Miller told LiveScience.

The new findings are in line with those of previously published studies that have found no benefits from dietary supplements, including B vitamins and antioxidants, and even suggested possible harms. Results of clinical trials involving tens of thousands of people have shown that beta-carotene, vitamin E and possibly high doses of vitamin A supplements actually increase death rates, the researchers said.

"We believe that the case is closed — supplementing the diet of well-nourished adults with most mineral or vitamin supplements has no clear benefit and might even be harmful," the researchers wrote in their editorial.

The use of multivitamin and mineral supplements among Americans has increased to about 50 percent in the mid-2000s, up from 40 percent in the early 1990s, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

For some supplements, such as beta-carotene and vitamin E, studies have found declines in use, following reports of their negative effects on lung cancer and mortality.

In contrast, sales of multivitamins and other supplements have not been affected by major studies that didn't find benefits, the researchers said. The U.S. supplement industry continues to grow, and reached $28 billion in annual sales in 2010. Similar trends have been reported in the United Kingdom and in other European countries.

The dietary-supplement industry maintains that for many Americans, diet alone may not provide the necessary vitamins they need daily, Miller said.

"The industry tries to create the impression that we are deficient, but randomized trials show that we are not all deficient and we don't benefit from supplements," Miller said, adding that clinical trials include people with varied diets from the general population.

The new review study looked at clinical trials that included a total of 450,000 older adults. All together, the researchers didn't find clear evidence of a beneficial effect of supplements on cancer and heart diseases.

In another study, researchers looked at the effects of taking a daily combination of nutrients —including vitamins A, C, E, beta-carotene and B vitamins — in 6,000 men ages 65 and older who were followed for 12 years. The cognitive performance and verbal memory of participants who took multivitamin supplements didn't differ from those of participants who took placebo.

In the third study, the researchers examined whether high doses of multivitamins and minerals could prevent heart attacks, strokes and death in 1,700 people who have already had a heart attack. After an average follow-up of five years, the results didn't show a difference between participants who took dietary supplements and those who didn't.

Email Bahar Gholipour or follow her @alterwired. Follow us @livescience, Facebook & Google+. Original article on LiveScience.

Case Is Closed: Multivitamins Are a Waste of Money, Doctors Say

Last edited:
I disagree i and many see a difference when on or off multivitamins ........
I think we all know it won't cure a disease like it said on your post.

I disagree i and many see a difference when on or off multivitamins ........
I think we all know it won't cure a disease like it said on your post.

I take AnimalPak about 5 times a week preworkout. I honestly think the digestive enzymes in there make it easier for me to poop. Its not expensive so why not.

First off the study states that vitamins are not useful in preventing diseases or reducing the disease. Well no shit!! None of us take multi vitamins to prevent or stop cancer, aids etc... This whole statement will get blowing out of proportion because some people will read this and say that multi vitamins are overall a waste of money. Its not stating that at all, its just focused on the prevention of diseases.

Also, if you are not deficient in any vitamins or minerals you take you will piss it out. The body as a set level of every vitamin and mineral in your body and does not go over that number or store excess for future use (Hence your piss glowing like Gatorade when you take too many).

I switched from a very popular high powered multi that is marketed to bodybuilders and started taking a very low dose weak multi and the only thing i notice is my piss isn't blinding orange. Health stayed the same.

I disagree. Garden of Life Vitamin Code.

Whole food derived vitamin.

First off the study states that vitamins are not useful in preventing diseases or reducing the disease. Well no shit!! None of us take multi vitamins to prevent or stop cancer, aids etc... This whole statement will get blowing out of proportion because some people will read this and say that multi vitamins are overall a waste of money. Its not stating that at all, its just focused on the prevention of diseases.

Also, if you are not deficient in any vitamins or minerals you take you will piss it out. The body as a set level of every vitamin and mineral in your body and does not go over that number or store excess for future use (Hence your piss glowing like Gatorade when you take too many).

I switched from a very popular high powered multi that is marketed to bodybuilders and started taking a very low dose weak multi and the only thing i notice is my piss isn't blinding orange. Health stayed the same.

May I ask which Multi were you taking that is marketed to Bodybuilders?

May I ask which Multi were you taking that is marketed to Bodybuilders?

Used them all. Animal packs, orange tirad, now adam......Those are the most popular. Now i just use a multi made from vegetables by Innate Response.

I am not saying I agree with the findings or not, but this study actually does say vitamins are a waste of money. There were other news outlets reporting it and the doctors involved said "They are a waste of money"

Yeah, sure a "waste of money." That's why the Codex Alexandrinus calls for the complete banning of them so Big Pharma can move in and make all vitamin/mineral supplements a prescription item.

All these Dr.'s are paid and in pocket. You know damned well they all take vit/min supps.

Yeah, sure a "waste of money." That's why the Codex Alexandrinus calls for the complete banning of them so Big Pharma can move in and make all vitamin/mineral supplements a prescription item.

All these Dr.'s are paid and in pocket. You know damned well they all take vit/min supps.

You know "big pharma" makes OTC products too right? There is no regulatory pathway for multivitamin/mineral supplements unless someone has a deficiency and a specific condition is being treated. Statements like yours show you have absolutely no understanding of how the pharmaceutical industry works. The only indication would be for standalone vitamins or minerals in high dose or an altered form and it would only be to treat specific conditions.

You care to enlighten us if you're such the 'pharmaceutical brainiac'

I am not saying you are wrong, I just don't like to think everything in this world is a conspiracy theory. But, it would not phase me one bit if that was correct.

You care to enlighten us if you're such the 'pharmaceutical brainiac'

I just did in my previous post. This is not a "big pharma" conspiracy. I am a consultant for several large pharmaceutical companies and they have absolutely no interest in this area because there is no regulatory pathway. It would behoove you not to talk about things you have absolutely no knowledge of. Why did you put single quotes around pharmaceutical braniac?

People and their pharma conspiracies are hilarious. I've yet to see one person who has any understanding of the industry and how anything in it actually works make an intelligent comment about any type of conspiracy or ulterior motives. Pharma cannot get prescription approval for vitamins or minerals unless there is something they can do to them to get them patented, and then they would need to have a valid regulatory pathway, which there isn't, unless it's for a specific indication.

:banghead:

I am not saying you are wrong, I just don't like to think everything in this world is a conspiracy theory. But, it would not phase me one bit if that was correct.

I am saying he is wrong. Very, very wrong.

How does this article result in "case closed"? it is a few Dr's opinions based on studies.

I just did in my previous post. This is not a "big pharma" conspiracy. I am a consultant for several large pharmaceutical companies and they have absolutely no interest in this area because there is no regulatory pathway. It would behoove you not to talk about things you have absolutely no knowledge of. Why did you put single quotes around pharmaceutical braniac?

People and their pharma conspiracies are hilarious. I've yet to see one person who has any understanding of the industry and how anything in it actually works make an intelligent comment about any type of conspiracy or ulterior motives. Pharma cannot get prescription approval for vitamins or minerals unless there is something they can do to them to get them patented, and then they would need to have a valid regulatory pathway, which there isn't, unless it's for a specific indication.

Not picking any side here, but King Peon is correct, vitamins/minerals are in fact on the codex alimentarius (he misspelled it, pretty bad too lol). Anybody can look it up, it's public knowledge: CODEX Alimentarius: About Codex

Not picking any side here, but King Peon is correct, vitamins/minerals are in fact on the codex alimentarius (he misspelled it, pretty bad too lol). Anybody can look it up, it's public knowledge: CODEX Alimentarius: About Codex

Which part of the bolded that I wrote is incorrect? And what is your background in pharma to qualify you to understand how this works?

You underestimate the corruption of this country in every branch that involves money and control of the population. Your type are their greatest example of the perfect citizen. As if you know more about the inner workings of the pharmeceutical companies than I do. Carry on lemming. Watch out for that last one, it's a doozy.

How does this article result in "case closed"? it is a few Dr's opinions based on studies.

Sounds like a typical Yahoo! front page BS sheep feed article to me.

1. Multi-vitamins will not prevent nor cure cancer. Wow it's 2013 and we just came to this conclusion. Science is obviously working very hard. How's that cure for Athlete's foot coming along? Oh that's right, there's no money in the cure.

Some insight for CDJack here, [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7P4iFg048k]Chris Rock - Doctors & Drugs - YouTube[/ame]

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws