over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Chiropractor necessary?

DK0223

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
been going to one for about a year and a half, had xrays done and they showed a slightly degenerative disc. i started out going 3x a week i believe it was, then been going once a month to "maintain" as he called it for over a year. i didnt go last month though, to be honest its getting to be too expensive since i have no insurance:banghead:

so are chiro's really needed, or more of a crutch?

In a word ......stretch! Stretching and keeping flexible can do wonders for you and your wallet!

A good and honest chiro will only need to adjust you on five or six occasions the first month and possibly once or twice a month afterwards, only if you feel you need it.

It depends on the severity of the condition though. Could be a bit more or less.

One chiro wanted to put me on a 3 times a week x 3 months schedule at $55 bucks a pop plus 2 x a week "advanced therapy" sessions at $35. All I needed was a few simple adjustments, nothing serious. Yeah, I fired that clown.

Some DC's just see people as dollar signs. If they ask you what you do for a living, run.

In a word ......stretch! Stretching and keeping flexible can do wonders for you and your wallet!
Good advice, but stretching doesn't move bones back into place that were knocked out by rough living.

Last edited:
I've been using chiros off and on my whole adult life.
During the concrete season I normally had no issues but come off season when not using the muscles is when I had problems.
Since lifting all year now, I may go once a year.
Its a little cheaper than the alternitive [surgery] which is a crap shoot anyhow.

been going to one for about a year and a half, had xrays done and they showed a slightly degenerative disc. i started out going 3x a week i believe it was, then been going once a month to "maintain" as he called it for over a year. i didnt go last month though, to be honest its getting to be too expensive since i have no insurance:banghead:

Chiros get pricy if your going 3Xweek w copay and they aren't a permanent fix for most people. I have bad discs in my lower back and the only thing that helped is core exercises. Train your abs/ obliques like crazy, that is the only fix that has worked for me.

yea im gonna see how it goes and try it without a chiro for a while. if it starts flaring up some i can always schedule an appointment. not like i have major back issues, just a slightly off disc, nonetheless ill keep an eye on it

I have some disc problems at C5/C6, went to family chiro, he adjusted me, asked if I had been in a bad car accident, lol nope.

But he was honest. He told me he could adjust what needed it, but spent more time on trigger point, but he flat out told me there is nothing he will be able to do to address the real issue.

These disc cause severe problems, outside of constant pain, my arm, hand, and fingers go numb, then I start to get a real bad ache in my forearm. So I started deep tissue message, best thing I've ever done. It won't fix the disc but it will fix all the issues that happen as a result of it. It alleviates so much of the pain I end up with in my upper back/shoulder/neck/arm, and takes away the numbness. I feel bad for the woman working on me because I can feel the huge knots she is trying to work out. And the side with no pain will always have the largest most stubborn knots on the muscle.

I won't take pain meds, outside of 200-400mg ibuprofen when it's bad, but partially because I get some extremely bad inflammation in the tendons in those area's.

I'm sure this will be an individual thing, but the chiro really only irritated my issues. The adjustment was ok for certain aspects, trigger point was ok, but he wasnt doing large jerking motions to adjust, he's a big guy as well, and he simply will position your body, apply pressure in on area maybe with his knee, then using his upper body strength he would slowly pull certain areas and the opposite pressure would align things without all that fast jerking to adjust, I hate having that done, I honestly won't even let them adjust my neck, well anyone who uses fast jerking motions.

But as stated earlier, stretching has helped a ton, I have went thru physical therapy before which was great, but now I just do those stretches and strengthening exercises on my own, that along with the deep tissue and I feel better then I did 10-12 years ago when all my doc wanted to do was have me take handfuls of pain meds and benzos. I haven't touched a pain need in 6-8 years, and feel better and in less pain.

Stretching and deep tissue is great. I was paying $85 for 40minutes originally but it was only because I was going to a local high priced salon, then I found out the same people (many of them anyway) all work in other places or take clients on their own. Now I pay about $35 for 30minites and $60 for an hour, but 30-45 minutes is more than enough. It's not relaxing, to me it feels good, but it is painful and they aren't trying to hurt you, but they do have to use some pressure to get deep.

Nothing against chiro's but its just not for me and I won't use one

Well I got lucky and the Chiropractic Clinic here I did a commercial for them and they give me unlimited free chiropractic services:D I was going 3 times a week for the first month but only going about once a week now. Seems to def help. But my suggestion is Deep Tissue Massages they are worth there weight in gold. I seem to benefit more out of a deep tissue than anything else.

Chiro's should only be used sparingly imo. With the degen you just need to do exercises to strengthen that part of your area and maybe even get a shot in that area. My wife has this in her L5-S1 area and she is going to have to have surgery for it. She has done A-z for it with only minimal results. Her disc is shot and now she takes tramadol which causes her to be very sleepy and gives her dry heaves for about 5 minutes but it kills her pain.

Chiro's should only be used sparingly imo. With the degen you just need to do exercises to strengthen that part of your area and maybe even get a shot in that area. My wife has this in her L5-S1 area and she is going to have to have surgery for it. She has done A-z for it with only minimal results. Her disc is shot and now she takes tramadol which causes her to be very sleepy and gives her dry heaves for about 5 minutes but it kills her pain.

Yea I notice my core shakes when doing abs. I'm guessing it needs strengthened?

If your shaking on abs, do more and do them slooooow. I`ve done the chiropractor and this chain place says come 4 times a month for $49.. well the first one helped the next 5 did shit, I started stretching hard, every day for 20 minutes in every angle where I felt tightness/pain in my legs and all back pain was gone.

I am just getting over a back issue. 6 weeks back, deadlifting 515 w- no problems and hitting my stride with my lifts and weight, I went for a message. 2 days later I could'nt barely move.
Damn bitch thought I was an anatomy leson and moved something out of wak!
I did all I could for 3 weeks, stretching, light weight hot baths and more streching.
Then finally hit the chiro got an adjustment and accupunkture and was good 2 days later. I lost 8pds and felt like shit and without chiropractic I'd still be F'd.
All from a message!!! My 2nd and Last ever.

Yea I notice my core shakes when doing abs. I'm guessing it needs strengthened?

Yep, My wife works on her core and her back. She isn't a fitness junkie but because of her degen. disc disease it is forcing her to strengthen her midsection and back. When she has surgery it will greatly help her recovery.

Physical therapy is the main way to go with this mess. My wife has been through alot of other stuff including 2 chiros and now she is ending with an Orthopedic surgeon who says her disc is shot and she needs surgery.

She cannot go up and down stairs. Cannot open heavy doors and has a hard time even trying to walk 2 blocks without her lower back hurting and/or hip hurting. She will be 37 next month.

One cheap advantage we had with this is we bought handicap seating for a rock concert a year ago. THAT was the bomb. Area all to ourselves and the bathroom and food was 15 yards down the hall. She had to stand up periodically because she finds it hard to sit alot. We got a stressless couch as a result in which she can sit for hours with no pain.

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrob7107
NapsGear