over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Difference in protein sources and their effects

I have heard people say that when they eat fish as their primary protein source when cutting they look flatter but more thin skin. Then when they eat red meat more full, stronger. Not sure if bro science or just has to do with fat sources (saturated vs omega 3)
There is a huge discrepancy in calories between the two which would explain the difference in fullness more so than anything else. It’s the primary reason you choose fish when cutting since you need to be in a calorie deficit

There is a huge discrepancy in calories between the two which would explain the difference in fullness more so than anything else. It’s the primary reason you choose fish when cutting since you need to be in a calorie deficit
Exactly. But I was assuming calories were equated including fat or close

Say same calories macros

Guy 1 eats beef as primary protein source
Guy b eats white fish but then uses fish oil or walnuts

Wonder if there would be any difference in fullness/look

I grow better with beef than fish or chicken. Iv eaten fish diets and I def lose muscle fullness. Probably more from the lack of fat but I def grow and look fuller eating beef. Iv experimented with all
Different kind of protein sources and dieted with them all. Beef is optimal for me.
Same. My calories have been the same for a while but I do feel better when I eat beef eod at maintenance

Say same calories macros

I am wondering the same. That is why I asked this question. At least in fish and in eggs there are more leucine and arginine than in beef or in whey. I am vaguely remembering reading some study which said those whole eggs were better than some x food (I cannot remember what they were comparing) for growth possibly because of high arginine content.

But I also feel that beef is more anabolic somehow and makes me feel more fuller than many other foods like eggs...that is strange. Maybe it is high creatine content or maybe just those saturated fats.

Edit: But also, despite those high leucine and arginine contents it seems dairy products (possibly whey too) and red meat usually to my knowledge increase IGF-1 more. Many factors there.

Say same calories macros

I’ve heard some theories about the collagen content being a factor in regards to appearance of the skin (fish, without eating the skin, doesn’t have near the collagen of beef and chicken if I recall correctly… I’d have to double check though).

"Finally, animal research points to the potential benefits of individual amino acids for lean body mass maintenance. Kido et al. [85] fed rats casein, albumin, or egg white protein for 14 days and found a significant increase in the growth of the soleus and extensor digitorum longus muscles after egg white consumption as compared to casein. Muscle arginine matched muscle growth, and the addition of arginine to the casein diet led to matching muscle growth from egg white protein. The authors contributed this increase in muscle growth to arginine’s role in stimulation of insulin and IGF-1."

"Research with rats points to the potential benefits of egg protein over the high-quality milk protein casein. Matsuoka et al. [53] fed male rats diets containing 20% egg white protein or casein for 4 weeks, with pair feeding to match intake. The researchers reported greater average carcass protein mass and gastrocnemius leg muscle weight and lower carcass triacylglycerol and abdominal fat mass in rats fed the diet containing egg white protein. The authors attributed these changes to a few potential mechanisms, including greater net protein utilization for egg white protein (95%) as compared to casein (70%), placing an emphasis on the high digestibility of egg protein [54]. In addition, the research group previously reported reduced lipid absorption with egg white protein consumption [55], and egg white proteins have been shown to inhibit lipase activity [56] possibly contributing to the reduction in abdominal fat. Further research is necessary to assess the effects of long-term intake of egg protein compared with other high-quality proteins on skeletal muscle and body composition.

"The amount of the essential amino acid leucine provided in a protein source is critical since it is the strongest stimulator of muscle protein synthesis [57]. In fact, the leucine content of a protein source alone can independently predict a food’s ability to stimulate muscle protein synthesis [45]. The recommended amount of leucine for maximal stimulation of muscle protein synthesis is between 700–3000 mg [34]. One egg provides ~500 mg of leucine in just 72 calories, making this an excellent option for meeting this proposed “leucine threshold” [34].
In order to meet meal requirements to maximize muscle protein synthesis, the incorporation of whole foods that are nutrient dense and contain high-quality protein is vital, particularly at breakfast. The yolk of an egg provides ~40% of its protein [58]. Given that nutritionists and other health professionals have often recommended for many years to consume only the egg white of an egg, a substantial amount of high-quality protein is often removed, further reducing protein intake at meals that already provide inadequate amounts of protein. Additionally, Van Vliet et al. [58] reported that when matched for protein content, consumption of whole eggs resulted in greater stimulation of myofibrillar protein synthesis than egg whites after resistance exercise for young men. Bagheri [51] also found greater strength gains, as described above, when comparing whole egg consumption to egg whites after resistance training. This may be related to the other contents of the yolk, such as phospholipids, microRNAs, or other micronutrients [59]. Additional research by Evans et al. [60] indicates increased muscle protein synthesis for older adults after supplementation with fortetropin, a complex of protein and lipids made from egg yolk that has been shown to stimulate the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR). The lipid portion of this supplement, along with factors found in egg yolk may be important for greater stimulation of muscle protein synthesis and subsequent strength gains."

Why? Just eat protein that you enjoy and can digest.
Actually, to be honest, atm I have difficult financial situation because of different acute bills I need to pay this month and next month.. I really cannot afford much money now for even food. So that is part reason why I am planning to use shakes as I don't need to buy them.

Actually, to be honest, atm I have difficult financial situation because of different acute bills I need to pay this month and next month.. I really cannot afford much money now for even food. So that is part reason why I am planning to use shakes as I don't need to buy them.
Despite people saying real food is better, there’s only two reasons for that:

- micronutrients.
- satiety.

Whey protein (assuming it’s not a shit brand that’s been amino spiked) is one of the most bioavailable and complete proteins available.

It IS real food - saying it’s not real because it’s been separated from cheese is like arguing that a trimmed tenderloin filet isn’t real, because you removed it from the animal, trimmed any excess fat, and cooked it.

Now, back to the two areas of concern:

- It’s probably not ideal to have it as your entire protein source for extended periods due to minimal micronutrients, but here’s the thing: if you’re eating 2,000 kcal of diverse, nutrient dense whole foods and then stacking 1,000 kcal of shakes on top, you’re almost certainly already hitting your micronutrient needs. That’s a bit harder in a steep deficit, so be mindful of that.

- The satiety argument is a compliance-enhancement argument, really. It’s like saying “don’t skip breakfast, you’ll binge later.” May be true for some, certainly not true for all. I actually find that a 100g protein whey isolate shake (500 kcal) can keep me satiated for hours on end, but some don’t. If ingesting whey protein leaves you hungry an hour later, it may not be ideal for cutting.

Skip the collagen, beef isolate, and veggie powders - stick with whey.

Tl;dr: you’re perfectly fine getting most/all protein from whey for periods of time, and it’s quite excellent for body composition purposes - just ensure you’re hitting your micronutrient targets elsewhere, and it’s not leaving you too hungry.

Despite people saying real food is better, there’s only two reasons for that:

- micronutrients.
- satiety.

Whey protein (assuming it’s not a shit brand that’s been amino spiked) is one of the most bioavailable and complete proteins available.
Thank you for comprehensive answer. But what do you actually mean when you say "amino spiked"?

You’re the same sad troll that keeps getting kicked off this board over and over. Just keep coming back with a different name. When your nuts drop come back with some legit feedback to share with the group.

Sad existence isn't it. Has to come on an internet forum to get attention and spew negativity.

Thank you for comprehensive answer. But what do you actually mean when you say "amino spiked"?
Sometimes brands will dump shit aminos into the blend and claim it as protein. So the label will say, for example, “25g protein” but you’re only getting like 15-20g/serving.

Most name brands do not do this, but some of the “influencer” TikTok “ice cream sandwich” type proteins are guilty.

So because it doesn’t exist in nature and requires human intervention doesn’t mean it’s not a real food, though. Cheese doesn’t exist in nature either… there is a process to make it. Is that not a real food?
I personally don't consider whey food. If someone drinks a Gatorade Is that a food? It like whey shakes has calories.

Why the massive fat bomb from a dozen eggs on a PSMF?

I’ve never understood “whey isn’t real food”. Ok well that means any dairy product is only 70-80% real.

Or a chicken breast fillet isn’t real. You took off the skin, bones, and fat.

Yes micronutrients are important and liquid calories on a PSMF sounds like a terribly painful diet.

If you need whey to be your main protein source, throw some spinach/kale/1 whole egg in with it in a blender for your shakes with some unsweetened almond milk. Kapow….micros.

My PSMF are mostly chicken, eggwhites, fuckloads of veggies and fish oil capsules. Still sucks. But effective lol.

I’ve heard some theories about the collagen content being a factor in regards to appearance of the skin (fish, without eating the skin, doesn’t have near the collagen of beef and chicken if I recall correctly… I’d have to double check though).
Different types of collagen found in beef vs fish. But the biggest difference is b vitamin content, fats and type of fats in the two meats (omega 3/saturated).

To answer their first question I would venture to say if they took a good b complex, consumed fish and the same fat content from omega-3’s or EVO/MCT etc that they would look the same if not better.

For my meals now I use fish in 1-2 and consume added mac oil or avocado, but with my one beef meal of course no added fats.

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
old timer2
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws