over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Do you count all your protein sources? Diet debate

You’re probably not gonna like my answer! 😂 But yes it’s my belief that he would be at the higher risk of heart disease. Again, that’s my belief. I also believe that fats and cholesterol in general are good for you and not bad like a lot of doctors will tell you. When I get my cholesterol checked it’s always the ratio between hdl and ldl that I look for. Of course I like my triglycerides to be as low as possible. My bloods always come back the best on low carb high fat diets. Especially if it’s mainly good fats like olive oil and fish have in them. The low carb diet really tanks my triglycerides better than anything I’ve tried.
I agree 💯 on cholesterol, I only worry about what my remnant cholesterol is.

You see ^^^ cholesterol is not bad, it's the left over cholesterol in your blood that's bad (remnant), but the same is true with glucose, it's not bad for you it's the left over in your blood that's bad (blood glucose levels)

I’ll see what I can find. It’s been a good ten years since I researched this stuff. It was a good friend of mine that is an anesthesiologist that turned me on to this idea. I remember a very technical YouTube video that explained it so well I’ve been a believer ever since. Basically it explains that heart disease is caused by inflammation and not fats and shit. Then goes into detail about why high carb diets cause inflammation. I don’t know if I can’t post links with this account just yet. My old board handle was Stiffy but I forgot the password to it so I had to make a new one! ☹️
Can you explain how high carbohydrates cause inflammation in a calorie deficit in a healthy normal human being 😉

I track everything from all sources, even carbs from fiber. Dont track sugar alcohols as carbs, but I don't eat a lot of things with sugar alcohol in high quantities or else I will pee out of my butt.

If I were coaching a genpop and they were really having a tough time understanding macros, you can use the diabetic exchange concept where you just teach them to track certain foods by their primary macros content. I.e. won't track the very low fat in chicken, just as a protein, or the protein in oats, just as a carb etc, Then they use the diabetic exchange to swap foods in an out. I have had a few folks that were just overwhelmed by tracking and weighing everything out of the shoot, and if you don't ease them into something sustainable they won't stay with it and wont achieve their goal.

My question for you guys is do the calories from your EAA if you use them?

I agree 💯 on cholesterol, I only worry about what my remnant cholesterol is.

You see ^^^ cholesterol is not bad, it's the left over cholesterol in your blood that's bad (remnant), but the same is true with glucose, it's not bad for you it's the left over in your blood that's bad (blood glucose levels)
I think most bodybuilders biggest mistake is not watching HDL. You nailed it- it’s the excess bad (LDL) cholesterol floating around you should worry about. HDL binds to it to keep it from storing in places to repair inflammation (short version).

Whenever I see a guy with low HDL and high CRP, they are on a fast track to heart disease. Homocysteine would be another marker to look at.

@Smileydog your friends thoughts were half way there. The bigger indicator I would look at is insulin resistance which puts the body into an inflammatory state. But just because someone eats carbs doesn’t equate to causation by association. Watch cholesterol and inflammation.

Answering the thread question- I count all calories as that’s what matters at the end of the week when you make adjustments. The argument is true for a complete protein vs non (oatmeal, rice, etc) but weight gain and loss comes from CICO. Just comes down to how OCD you want to be with it. 😊

I wonder how many guys don’t count their coffee, pre-workout and protein shakes as daily water intake either…LOL

I don't count "mixed" protein sources either, just whole protein sources usually from egg whites, whole eggs, chicken, and 93/7 ground beef or filets. I think the "best" number to watch as far as cholesterol is your total cholesterol. Typically anything >200 would be indicative of an increased risk of coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, etc.

Can you explain how high carbohydrates cause inflammation in a calorie deficit in a healthy normal human being 😉
If someone were in a calorie deficit I don’t think it would be much of an issue either way. Still if it were me, I’d still rather do low carb high fat.

I have been trying to find this video that explains it in very good detail but it’s like 12 years old now and it really does the best job. Basically it explains that the real culprit of heart disease is from what’s called small dense LDL particles. They are damaged LDL that somehow damage the artery walls and cause your body to protect that damage which forms plaque. He shows how a high carb diet can cause this because of all the blood sugar spikes you get from it. So if you want to be technical about it, then it’s more about not having blood sugar spikes. A low carb diet significantly reduces blood sugar spikes.

2-3G Krill Oil + 1G Citrus Bergamot daily can have a significant positive impact on cholesterol levels.

I don't count "mixed" protein sources either, just whole protein sources usually from egg whites, whole eggs, chicken, and 93/7 ground beef or filets. I think the "best" number to watch as far as cholesterol is your total cholesterol. Typically anything >200 would be indicative of an increased risk of coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, etc.
Egg whites are an incomplete protein source bro..

If someone were in a calorie deficit I don’t think it would be much of an issue either way. Still if it were me, I’d still rather do low carb high fat.

I have been trying to find this video that explains it in very good detail but it’s like 12 years old now and it really does the best job. Basically it explains that the real culprit of heart disease is from what’s called small dense LDL particles. They are damaged LDL that somehow damage the artery walls and cause your body to protect that damage which forms plaque. He shows how a high carb diet can cause this because of all the blood sugar spikes you get from it. So if you want to be technical about it, then it’s more about not having blood sugar spikes. A low carb diet significantly reduces blood sugar spikes.
Post a pic

Egg whites have about 2/3 the protein of a whole egg, but they are a complete protein all on their own.
I was going to say...they are my main source so I hope so lol

A 12 year old video? We want actual studies. I posted one and I am willing to bet you didn't even read it. It states that a high carb diet can be the healthiest or unhealthy depending on choice of carbs. We been telling you that.

The Mediterranean diet have been found to be one of the healthiest diets on the planet is 50-60% carbohydrates, 15-20% protein and 30% fats, which is considered a fairly balanced. Not exactly a low carb diet, but higher carbs.

Another good study saying basically the same as we been telling you. Higher carbs can be very healthy depending on choice of carbs. Good carbs are healthy, bad carbs are unhealthy.

A 12 year old video? We want actual studies. I posted one and I am willing to bet you didn't even read it. It states that a high carb diet can be the healthiest or unhealthy depending on choice of carbs. We been telling you that.

The Mediterranean diet have been found to be one of the healthiest diets on the planet is 50-60% carbohydrates, 15-20% protein and 30% fats, which is considered a fairly balanced. Not exactly a low carb diet, but higher carbs.

Another good study saying basically the same as we been telling you. Higher carbs can be very healthy depending on choice of carbs. Good carbs are healthy, bad carbs are unhealthy.

Yeah you do make a lot of good points in this post. I wasn’t able to read the study you posted due to yesterday being the fourth and I was out most of the evening. I definitely agree that unprocessed food is much better and the Mediterranean diet is really a good choice. I have always kind of considered that diet to be a low carb diet but I know it does have a decent amount of carbs. I will check out both of the links you posted this evening. But yes I agree that unprocessed food in general is where I want to be in my diet. So, where do we draw the line at processed though?

It seems there’s a lot of interest in this topic and instead of continuing to hijack the OPs thread maybe we should start a new one.

Yeah you do make a lot of good points in this post. I wasn’t able to read the study you posted due to yesterday being the fourth and I was out most of the evening. I definitely agree that unprocessed food is much better and the Mediterranean diet is really a good choice. I have always kind of considered that diet to be a low carb diet but I know it does have a decent amount of carbs. I will check out both of the links you posted this evening. But yes I agree that unprocessed food in general is where I want to be in my diet. So, where do we draw the line at processed though?

It seems there’s a lot of interest in this topic and instead of continuing to hijack the OPs thread maybe we should start a new one.
there is nothing to debate. proper caloric intake, keeping a lower percentage of body fat, nutrient-dense foods and it doesn't matter if they are higher in carbohydrates or fat.... personally I prefer higher carbs and lower fats.

Like I said just a minute ago I will definitely read the link you posted and I agree that carbs are not inherently bad for you. That’s not what I’ve been trying to say this whole time. Carbs have their place in everyones diet. You have to have them. I did find a legitimate study that proves my point also and it describes how a low carb Keto diet significantly reduces small dense LDL particles. These particles are what a lot of researchers are starting to believe is the main cause of heart disease.

Like I said just a minute ago I will definitely read the link you posted and I agree that carbs are not inherently bad for you. That’s not what I’ve been trying to say this whole time. Carbs have their place in everyones diet. You have to have them. I did find a legitimate study that proves my point also and it describes how a low carb Keto diet significantly reduces small dense LDL particles. These particles are what a lot of researchers are starting to believe is the main cause of heart disease.

Post a pic

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members