mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Does anyone here still only work a body part once a week?

I only do once per week. I beleive if you hit them hard enough it's okay, but if you have a lagging body part and once a week isn't working hit it twice

It seems like a lot of people say they work a body part twice a week and some even three times a week.

Does anyone here still only work a body part once a week?

In the middle of bulking right now... so each bodypart is only hit once a week, with the exception to tri's and bi's...they heal so quickly I finish them off and chest day and back day, respectively.

I also did a lot of looking into DC style training, and modified it to fit my style of training and for bulking...was at my normal sticking point and have now started moving forward again.
my training looks like this:

week1: (high volume, med-hi intensity)
monday-chest/tri's
tuesda-back/bi's
weds-off
thurs-legs
friday-shoulders
sat-arms
sun-off

week2: (high intensity, low volume) dc style-ish
*same split as week one
**only 1 work set for each exercise , but work set includes set to failure, then rest pause, then negative, then drop set..all in the one work set (hence dc style'ish)

week3: repeat
**have found taking a break from high volume every other week helps me keep my sanity, and have actually put 4lbs on in 4 weeks of doing it. Even though I am in the middle off my bulk my weight had not moved from 260 in weeks... withen a week of starting this rotation my CNS feels recovered and starting to grow again.

thanks to DC for the theories behind his style of training..as I always say, we have to find what works for our own bodies, no two people are alike.

my wife trains like me....she is only 4 weeks into her bulk and last night already putting up 155 for 9 on flat bench! :)

Last edited:
I using this routine **broken link removed** which works out total body 3 times per week - but, different reps each 2 week period and no training to failure.

The once a week thing just doesn't do it for me.

I feel recovered within 2 days no matter how hard I go, by day 3 or 4 I feel like I am going backwards.

I typicly train the bench, and squat. Very heavy low reps once a week, and very light
High reps once a week. And dead lift once a week.

what about shoulders? can they be trained twice a week? i just dont see how a small muscle group needs just as much recovery as other enormous bodyparts such as legs or back. i think that is the reason my shoulders lag. always trained them as equally as other parts. was thinking of doing them on chest day aside from my shoulder day. i know they get hit on chest and back days but the medial head doesnt.

I try very hard to listen to my body. Even when I want to go to the gym I wont if I dont feel good. This makes every week different. I never understood compartmentalizing everything into a 7 day period. My body is broken up into 4 workout days and I rest at least every third day and usually every second day.

Mon-Tues-Thurs-Fri, no part more than once a week except for Abs, which I do with other parts twice a week...all subject to listening to my Body tell me what it needs/wants/shouldnt attempt.

usually hit each body part once a week, chest, back/shoulders, arms, legs and the 5th day I will hit whatever I feel is lacking. Or at least try to get that 5th day in. Might try to switch it up soon

a 2 on, 1 off schedule is ideal...CNS gets recovered as well as muscle/tendons/ligaments. could probably get by with 3 on, 1 off schedule as well just depends on your recovery and how you good your diet is, supplementation etc

well since ive been using serious growth im training bp's 3 times per week.

you must remember though its 3-5 sets 3 times per week, low volume on multiple occasions.

people keep talking about muscle soreness but the experts say that a sore muscle can still be trained again.

i think periods of planned over reaching then de loading etc are the best way for growth to occur

If I workout M/W/F, does it mean I have to stay out of the gym on my off days to recover fully or can I use those off days for cardio and calves/abs?

That depends on the intensity of my workout. Other factors such as sleep, diet ,supplimentation, etc all play a vital role. I guess you should just listen to your body, it speaks loud and clear.

It varies between 4 on 2 off to 2 on 1 off,.Depends how I feel after day 2 .
If I feel blown from day 1 and 2 I take a day if I feel fresh I hit all 4 in a row. I am pretty aware of when I start to feel over trained. I have tried most schedules in my 30+ yrs of training including 6 on 2x daily training each BP 3x week. Ah to be young and dumb with tons of drive! Looking back biggest mistake for younger newer to training guys is over training. I trained at very high intensity and frequency. I smelled like straight ammonia in my sweat after every workout. Way Way overtrained.
Super conditioned but strength was stalling. started getting better rest cut back the volume and went back to more basic compound moves and holy shit
size and strength just cranked up.

everything gets hit every 4-5 days, except legs which i hit once a week.

My routine is a rotating routine.

Mon - off
Tue - Chest - Lats - triceps
Wed - Off
THur - Off
Fri - Delts - mid back - biceps - forearms
Sat - legs
Sun - Chest - lats - triceps
Mon - off
Tue - Delts - mid back - biceps - forearms
Wed - Off
Thur - off
Fri - Chest - lats - triceps
Sat - legs
Sun - Delts - mid back - biceps - forearms
Repeat

With this routine, i get anywhere from 4-5 days of rest, which is plenty of time to recover. I also dont fry my CNS on this type of routine.

I generally do 3 exercises per bodypart, using whatever techniques i feel will benefit me based on how im feeling that day.

Mon Chest 45 min
Tue off
Wed Back 45 min
Thu Shoulders/Tri 45 min
Fri Biceps 15 min
Sat Legs 45 min
Sun off

And all workouts last 45 min or less except Biceps is a 15-20 min session. High Intensity short duration. All subject to change if I feel over-trained

it depends on lots of variables , some train 5-6 days a week straight for month after month and make incredible results and some train 3 times a week also make incredible results. But one thing I have noticed with all the guys who make great gains is they have absolutely solid nutritional plans along with supplementation plans...

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
I am Annie
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws