over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Extreme Sciatica help

Quadlife

IFBB PRO
IFBB PROS
Registered
So i started having bad sciatica pain about 4 weeks ago. Tried deep tissue stretching chiro then it got to where I could barely get out of bed without help couldn’t get dressed ok my own etc. had an mri here are the findings then had a epidural cortisone shot Monday so it’s been 5 days. Day 2 was back to normal painlevel. Days 3-4 were insane shocking pain like electric I had to call in from work. At this point it hurts so bad I’m ready for surgery but most people talk to say don’t do surgery. Is there anything I can do to get any relief? Tried tramadol that did nothing as well , I lifting light back this morning after a week off and felt way looser after Probly the best it’s felt in a week

Attachments

• F05ADAD1-A33B-41A2-9B44-BAF7B72428A3.jpg
    F05ADAD1-A33B-41A2-9B44-BAF7B72428A3.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 42
  • A6445D10-B508-41F4-AB0E-7985F734F2B3.jpg
    A6445D10-B508-41F4-AB0E-7985F734F2B3.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 916325BB-695B-46AE-A468-9F634B35AB03.jpg
    916325BB-695B-46AE-A468-9F634B35AB03.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 27
Mentions sacralization of l5, sounds like that is something you are born with. Has your low back always caused you some discomfort and now it is just getting much worse?
https://www.healthline.com/health/sacralization

Have you seen a surgeon, what have the doctors said they want to do?

Maldorf yep I was born with it, it’s always caused some
So joint issues but training around it has been fine, I haven’t seen surgeon yet should be next week

I dont see where you mention which side your pain is on? Which level and side was injected? Was it an epidural like you mentioned or a facet injection?

Did you get immediate relief after injection from the local?

Maldorf yep I was born with it, it’s always caused some
So joint issues but training around it has been fine, I haven’t seen surgeon yet should be next week

It sounds like the wear and tear over the years is finally starting to catch up with you maybe. Has it been a gradual thing over the years or is this some kind of symptom that just started all of the sudden? Sounds like a chronic problem that has just gotten worse over the years.

I hope the surgeon you see has good idea of how to fix this for you. You need relief. I think it is a mistake to keep doing cortisone injections because you are just covering up the problem and that might even lead to you injuring that area even worse since you cant feel the pain as much.

Nothing really informative to add but I really hope you can find something that brings you some relief. I had one brief bought with sciatica and was miserable. Keep us posted man and good luck!

. I dont see where you mention which side your pain is on? Which level and side was injected? Was it an epidural like you mentioned or a facet injection?

Did you get immediate relief after injection from the local?

Oh sorry it is left side pain

It was epidural they used the ultrasound to guide the needle

I got Immediate relief after felt great that day then day 2 back to normal pain level now it’s unbearable

[. it sounds like the wear and tear over the years is finally starting to catch up with you maybe. Has it been a gradual thing over the years or is this some kind of symptom that just started all of the sudden? Sounds like a chronic problem that has just gotten worse over the years.

I hope the surgeon you see has good idea of how to fix this for you. You need relief. I think it is a mistake to keep doing cortisone injections because you are just covering up the problem and that might even lead to you injuring that area even worse since you cant feel the pain as much. [/QUOTE]

Honestly just kinda came outa nowhere it seems man

Nothing really informative to add but I really hope you can find something that brings you some relief. I had one brief bought with sciatica and was miserable. Keep us posted man and good luck!

Thank you buddy!

Where in the left leg are you hurting? The back of the thigh and front back calf? Front outside of thigh?

What other meds are you currently taking for this?

I'd be taking:
Ibuprofen 800mg 3x/day
Maybe a muscle relaxer
Gabapentin can help with leg pain. Start at lower dose and work up every couple days.
Take the tramadol every 4-6 hours if you can.
And ice your low back for 20 minutes several times a day.

I wouldn't be lifting if you are hurting like crazy. I would just walk for the time being.

If you felt good for a day from the epidural then they his the right spot but the area is reignited with inflammation. I would repeat the same spot as soon as you can. If epidural #2 doesn't help then consider surgery. But if injections #2 gives some lasting benefit then go for injection #3.

If you are like 10/10 pain get a surgical consult early but don't sign up for surgery unless you get no lasting relief from injection #2.

Things that are emergent surgery would be if you start pissing or shitting yourself, not being able to feel you ass when you wipe or your genitals, and if you are loosing strength quickly. Like not being able to lift your foot upward.

Good luck and start icing your back.

Based on the MRI description the disc and facet are likely abutting the decending l5 resulting in some mild peripheral nerve inflammation. Its mild narrowing so theres no real mass effect.

What does that mean.... reduce the inflammation. Dont be looking at surgery.

if it were my back id be downing aleve two tabs twice a day for 7-10 days.

As was mentioned previously the lido worked so we know where the issue is and thats is a pain fiber issue not motor.

Can consider medrol dose pack if you dont want another epidural and that may also help with some of the facet reactive edema.

If you want another epidural that is also acceptable but a bit surprised you didnt get relief from the first.

Where in the left leg are you hurting? The back of the thigh and front back calf? Front outside of thigh?

I'd be taking:
Ibuprofen 800mg 3x/day
Maybe a muscle relaxer
Gabapentin can help with leg pain. Start at lower dose and work up every couple days.

I wouldn't be lifting if you are hurting like crazy. I would just walk for the time being.

If you felt good for a day from the epidural then they his the right spot but the area is reignited with inflammation. I would repeat the same spot as soon as you can. If epidural #2 doesn't help then consider surgery. But if injections #2 gives some lasting benefit then go for injection #3.

If you are like 10/10 pain get a surgical consult early but don't sign up for surgery unless you get no lasting relief from injection #2.

Things that are emergent surgery would be if you start pissing or shitting yourself, not being able to feel you ass when you wipe or your genitals, and if you are loosing strength quickly. Like not being able to lift your foot upward.

been readings your posts for a few years regarding medical stuff. Always pretty good.

been readings your posts for a few years regarding medical stuff. Always pretty good.

Thanks GG. I appreciate it. I'm low on the medical totem pole but am in the mix. I worked with physiatry doctors for a long time and now orthos including a spine surgeon. Out of everything I love the spine and always have.

I always enjoy your posts too. When I read them I always think "I probably work for someone like this guy...do I work with this guy?"...

. here in the left leg are you hurting? The back of the thigh and front back calf? Front outside of thigh?

I'd be taking:
Ibuprofen 800mg 3x/day
Maybe a muscle relaxer

So it hurts extremely by the piriformis and on the side of the calf,

The epidural felt good but I feel only because of the anesthesia? The next day it reverted back to original pain level

I am taking 10mg prednisone as well daily

I haven’t loss bladder control but it certainly takes me about a minute to start flow

In regards to your leg/calf pain I can offer some guidance based on experiences I’ve been dealing with. Without actually looking at the MRI and seeing it slide by slide it’s hard to give an accurate statement...

I crushed my L5s1 disk several years ago in a nasty injury along with L2/3 and my disks between C5-C7.

I’ve had a fusion at L5s1, laminectomy at L2/3, and fusion at C5-7 as well. These surgeries spanned about 2 years. I’ve had all the symptoms you’ve described. Leg burning pains from the glute down the right hamstring down to behind the knee, outside of the knee down the outer calf, and down into the foot as well. Also outside of the right leg down the band.

I tried all forms of physical therapy, neuro-therapy, injections, tissue massages, pain meds like every strength of hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine ER, every other long lasting 12-24hr morphine extended combined with hydrocodone/oxy, tizanidine, lyrica, I’ve been on liquid morphine, etc etc etc. I’ve done stem therapy as well. NOTHING worked. I lost the use of most of my right quad and hip flexors, and I have drop foot as well. Had to learn how to crawl, walk, run, drive...had to learn how to use my left arm and hand again as well.

Surgery was my only option for pain. I saw one of the top 3 spine/neurosurgeons in the world (won’t give name on public Forumn). After the surgeries were done which I’ve stated spanned 2 years, followed by another 2 years of physical therapy (will be doing exercises for life) I’ve gotten to the point where I can rebuild again.

With the background out of the way my advice would be to find an extended release opiate/morphine based medicine as a base pain blocker for you. You need to see a physiatrist for this. This gave me relief in a way I can only describe as it took pain that felt like stabbing/burning from a sharpened knife off meds to the pain coming from a butter knife on meds. Which made my quality of life much better after a few weeks. Then they combined that with hydrocodone 10/325 every 4 hours. Which helped the spikes of pain do to pressure from the weather, falls, sleeping wrong, tweaking my back, etc etc. and at night I took tizanidine as a muscle relaxer which really helped me fall into a deep sleep. It helped with the muscle spasms I got as well from the nerves being compressed and the muscles being too tight.

Hope this helps to give you some guidance into what to do and where to look for help. The longer you wait the worse things will get. At that location fusion surgery is the only option I would go for. Disk replacement is too risky down the road if you’re going to continue being active due to the uneven pressure applied to the artificial disk from the curvature of the spine. I did a solid 18 months of research before surgery while exhausting every other option and talked to many patients of many surgeons before making my choice. I was fortunate enough to see a surgeon that deals with the Bulls, Bears, Sox, Blackhawks, etc etc. so the surgery was done knowing my lifestyle and building the surgery based on future goals as well.

Best of luck!

I haven’t loss bladder control but it certainly takes me about a minute to start flow

That might be more of a prostate issue. How strong is the stream? Does the flow sometimes stop and start while you are going? Saw a funny joke on a Netflix series, "When I pee I do it in morse code, dots and dashes"

Last edited:
That might be more of a prostate issue. How strong is the stream? Does the flow sometimes stop and start while you are going? Saw a funny joke on a Netflix series, "When I pee I do it in morse code, dots and dashes"

lol yea sounds like a prostate issue. Looked a my buddies ct scan for his lower back. hes like 38 yrs old on gear. Prostate was like 7cm ( normal less then 4ish). Was pushing on his bladder. he didnt think much of getting up 2x a night to pee or taking 30 seconds plus to start.

Definitely not good to have long sustained BPH...from a bladder outlet perspective and prostate cancer risk.

I'm sorry that you're joining this brotherhood of pain : (.

Remember you can get multiple injections which may cause relief. Perhaps the swelling is so bad the disc needs a few shots before it responds. In my experience with them I usually wasn't able to get back to attempting to move on until at least the second shot.

You mentioned feeling better after levering and moving some in the gym. Was that a short term feeling with severe consequences later, or are you starting to move more? I have tried to train through the pain before, and it did loosen me up. But continuing on and training hard despite my may have created faulty leverage patterns and possible anatomical dysfunctions in my physique. I was reinjured severely and quickly.

You also mentioned 10mg prednisone ED. Something my doctor has me do when I travel for work is carry a large amount of prednisone. If my back were to pop on me, one thing I have been instructed to do is run a dosing protocol similar in nature to a zpack. I believe it was 6 pills ones day, 5.5 the next, 5 the following, 4.5 the next, 4 etc. I haven't seen medical research on it, but it has worked to get me onto airplanes and back to home base.

Initially injured 17 years old 2009 had 18 epidurals 2009-2015,

Cue: Yoga daily.

Haven't had my back pop on me since 2015.

Hope you find relief.

lol yea sounds like a prostate issue. Looked a my buddies ct scan for his lower back. hes like 38 yrs old on gear. Prostate was like 7cm ( normal less then 4ish). Was pushing on his bladder. he didnt think much of getting up 2x a night to pee or taking 30 seconds plus to start.

Definitely not good to have long sustained BPH...from a bladder outlet perspective and prostate cancer risk.

Mine in enlarged but nothing to be worried about as far as cancer. I take the drug Flomax and that works well for me. Someday I may need surgery to address it. All of those years of steroid use sped up my trouble I think. it does run in my family, so it was bound to happen later in life. Mine started in around age 45.

Mine in enlarged but nothing to be worried about as far as cancer. I take the drug Flomax and that works well for me. Someday I may need surgery to address it. All of those years of steroid use sped up my trouble I think. it does run in my family, so it was bound to happen later in life. Mine started in around age 45.

while there is some debate regarding bph and prostate cancer i am in the camp that AAS induced BPH with DHT and direct androgen stimulation may increase ones risk for prostate cancer.

Does it cause cancer... as is it a mutagen..no... but persistant sustained cellular stimulation in many other tissues increases the risk of developing cancer. Most men will have subclinical prostate cancer and it will never affect them in life.. however i believe that if one was to bathe the prostate in DHT and androgens it may contribute to progression in sub prostate subtypes.

Genetically there are quite a few different types of prostate cancer and unforutnately some urologists have been known to make more generalized statements.

We also must remember that the normal "natural" trend is for test levels to decrease as we get older. Ppl in this community are now going supra and getting higher levels as we get older in combination with things like mast, tren, winny etc. So we need to consider that rather then just going to pubmed and looking at bph and prostate cancer risk.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131