over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

GNC going bankrupt, closing 1200 stores

danieltx

Registered
It's impressive GNC hung on as long as they did - they've been slaughtered by online competition for a decade.

In 2012 I worked for Dymatize corporate. My VP told me about a meeting with GNC executives - the GNC guys sat down, opened a laptop, went to Bodybuilding.com, and told my VP that whatever Dymatize sold the most of there is what GNC wanted in its stores.

They've been complacent for way too long and this was the natural conclusion. I go in a GNC once or twice a year and it's only to get an Isopure RTD after a workout.

FrancisK

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Supplements is an online game now more than anything else i can think of, it’s not surprising at all. They have to way overpriced their stuff to make up for the extra overhead, that business model doesn’t work anymore. This isn’t related to covid or the gym closures and even those were coming anyway.

joos23

Sponsor Rep
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Body building is barely hanging on. They just sold out again

IronLion2

Registered
Poor kids, where are they going to waste their cash at now?

BigGame

Registered
Walks into GNC: Alarm goes off "Have you checked your weight today?" *associate scrambles and proceeds to hound you into buying product*

Samson250

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
In 05’ on like week 2 of my first cycle I came here and posted “I’m never setting foot inside a GNC again in my life!” Lol

Blazed_Noob

Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I worked at a franchise gnc when I was 20. Owner sold all kinds of illegal products and gear out the back. Most of the people who came in were young kids thinking creatine was like steroids and the others were always looking for ways to pass drug test. I was told to push certain products for commission. Only good thing was I got all kinds of free protein powder, bars, shakes and vitamins.

LoweRider

Registered
Newbies
Not surprised in the least. They charged prices that could be considered theft. Amazon, bodybuilding.com, and local supplement shops are way cheaper.

BoredStiff

Registered
I can't even wrap my head around how that place has made a profit in the last.... 25 years? I remember going in like, the mid 90's, and even then it was pretty dead. Usually some old dude looking at Saw Palmetto, some giant dude in a neon stringer buying a bucket of weight gainer, myself, and one cashier.

USMuscle9403

Registered
I think TRYING to compete was their downfall. All over the place, you saw discounts at GNC, I guess trying to be competitive with online stores. But with the rent having to pay for that many store fronts, it was just a matter of time lol

I remember the days when I'd venture in, though. Prohormones just on the shelf, albeit behind a little plastic case thingy, and who knows what the fuck else sitting right there, actual oral steroids lol

Thank fuck for bodybuilding.com (I can't believe I am saying that), the entire teen forum was filled with posts like "I took so and so and now my dick don't work", which was enough for me to stay away from them.

Sorry for the monolog, this Strawberry OG is awesome.

Kid Dynamite

Registered
Overpriced for decades.. I cant believe they hung around for this long..

USMuscle9403

Registered
vitamin shoppe next??
Likely...

Half of it is just wasted labor. I've seen like three staff members in a store when they probably didn't get as many customers all day. Lol fuck are they getting paid to do?

TripppleP

Registered
I worked a summer at GNC once. I remember smoking pot in the back and also taking vicodin while working once or twice while I was the only one working the store. Things I would never do now. The one thing they had that was good was "blue ox" which was a Red Bull knock off that was 10x better than Red Bull. But yes GNC had their time under the sun and has now past.

One brick and mortar place I hope never folds is strip clubs. For god sakes spend your money locally.

nothuman

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Vitamin Shoppe is better anyway. More of a selection.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ShredMN