over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Golds Gym Closing Locations

That sucks!

I'm not surprised. All the golds gyms in my area have already closed in the past several years. Guess this was the breaking point.

Not surprising. Gold's closed 2 locations in my metro in the last few years and with these closures we have none left here - and I believe none left in the state.

I fully expect LA Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness, and other chains to permanently close their less profitable locations due to this.

I also expect a lot of independent gyms to close due to this. A former coworker of my girlfriend opened a gym with her sister a year and a half ago and they closed last week - her life's dream taken from her through no fault of her own.

On the upside, hopefully the public will be so scared of being in close proximity to others that our remaining gyms won't be too crowded when they reopen.

Gyms should be essential services. You can't avoid viruses like covid-19, the only strategy that works is to make yourself as healthy as possible.

Gyms should be essential services. You can't avoid viruses like covid-19, the only strategy that works is to make yourself as healthy as possible.
A buddy was giving me shit about driving over 2 hours to pick up dbs. Saying your suppose to stay at home blah blah blah. He is way over weight and diabetic. I told him, it's essential. I need to stay healthy and don't want to be a over weight and have health problems. Then I would end up at the doctors office or hospital lmao

Agree..

I think most of the Golds that have closed during the past 15 years or so have been franchises. I used to belong to one and the owner dropped the Gold's name/franchise and named his gym something else. Keeping it all under your name avoids having to pay high fees to Golds. Eventually the owner just closed all his gyms completely. I think places like Planet Fitness put him out of business.

They qualify more than just about anyone in the form of government assistance with forgivable loans. I think this was coming eventually no matter what, the virus just gave them the trigger, I’m sure they did apply and will take all the assistance anyway.

The “body positive” movement which essentially means it’s okay to be unhealthy as fuck has killed off the gym boom from the 2000’s when we saw little franchise gyms open up in every strip mall giving out cheap memberships. For a while when the economy was bad everyone was working out as an outlet and other social factors, along with the “healthy at any size” bs and people having money now the gym has become much less essential to common people. Other factors are involved as well such as being a skinny runt being more valued than muscular but that’s a whole other can of worms.

All these gyms closing is a correction in the marketplace and unfortunately the large standbys will take the hit just as much as the small places, perhaps even more.

Gyms have been shutting down left and right for a few years now.

I think most of the Golds that have closed during the past 15 years or so have been franchises. I used to belong to one and the owner dropped the Gold's name/franchise and named his gym something else. Keeping it all under your name avoids having to pay high fees to Golds. Eventually the owner just closed all his gyms completely. I think places like Planet Fitness put him out of business.

Yea this also happened to a local one near me, why pay the franchise fees and royalties. The name doesn’t mean anything to the soccer mom that comes and does the stair master for an hour and they already have the client base.

This is their exact error. They drop the Gold's Gym name and turn the gym into a 'softcore' gym to try and appeal to more members (usually because they see gyms like planet fitness doing it). But they can't compete with the big corporate gyms and their ultra-low fees, and soon go out of business.

If instead they went the other way, kept their hardcore weight lifter image, and improved upon it, they would carve out a niche market for themselves that WOULD stand against the corporate gym model.

I have seen this play out before so many times, with bally's fitness, then 24-hour fitness, and now again with planet fitness. I have seen the gyms that succeed and the gyms that fail, decade after decade, in different parts of the country. The solution is simple, run a real quality business that appeals to an educated market, it works.

And btw, a good franchise often provides much more than what they cost. Name recognition, national marketing, advertising tools, very large wholesale equipment contracts, expert consultation, etc. Although it is true that Gold's Gym corporate has gone done hill in the last decade...

another ripple effect why I started my fitness industry fund. I know so many out of work trainers and coaches. more things like this are going to happen and displace even more of us. I hope it makes a difference for somebody. At least I will feel like I did something worth my time during this stay home stuff. better then watching tv and drinking like I keep seeing on all my socials from so many. I am hoping I get a local tv or newspaper to see it so it can catch a little momentum. too much of this closing stuff is gonna keep happening. some will call it realignment, or corporate re-branding. what it is really is, lay offs. what it really is - terrible

Also read today that 24 Hour Fitness chain is talking to accountants and lawyers about possible Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
The fear mongers who push the closing of the economy (democrats) will kill our gyms and our jobs.
If this keeps going, we will all need the home gyms for good.

Also read today that 24 Hour Fitness chain is talking to accountants and lawyers about possible Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
The fear mongers who push the closing of the economy (democrats) will kill our gyms and our jobs.
If this keeps going, we will all need the home gyms for good.

24 Hour Fitness weighs bankruptcy as coronavirus pushes fitness industry to brink

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131