advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How do YOU stay motivated in bodybuilding?

Personally, I love to train... period. I've wrestled, I've played baseball, football, track and field, powerlifted, did crossfit... NOTHING give me the satisfaction of training progressively, doing squats until I can't see straight, then supersetting it with something else for good measure. Nothing give me the feeling like collapsing to my knees after a heavy leg session. Nothing is as satisfying as seeing my girl crush a heavy ass set of squats and lay there in the squat rack unable to stand. It is not just me in this alone, it is US, my girl and I, and OUR effort together make it so satisfying. I recently posted a picture in the pic you took today thread of her progress from the Feb / March timeframe last year until a few days ago. AMAZING. Pushing my body to the limit and testing what I am capable of physically and mentally drives me. I LOVE TO SUFFER. I thrive on adversity, pain and suffering. This is why I was a good wrestler despite only doing it a few year, I was willing to do what others wouldn't do. Phil, you are from NJ, and PA and NJ are the BEST wrestling states in the country. To do well in those states, you need to be fucking GOOD. The attitude from wrestling is what drive me in bodybuilding. I do not miss the wrestling, but what I need is the struggle. I need the pain of the practices. There is something about me that doesn't like things easy... if it is easy, i am going to add more to my plate to make it harder.

I college, I decided to work two jobs, one as the school's head personal trainer and as an insurance and mutual fund agent (all certified to sell securities as well), I was on the admin board of my fraternity, still took a full course load (took night classes) and still competed... I NEED A CHALLENGE.

That is why I do this. I need to challenge myself say in and day out. I need to make myself a better version of myself every day. I need to support my girl in her efforts.

That is what fuels me. I do not get joy out of achievements per se, but I get joy out of challenging myself and seeing those around me succeed.

Everyone has their lulls... sometimes the fire returns for the same passion, sometimes you see it manifest in other ways. When I was wrestling, I lost the passion to take the mat, I just wanted to train... then I met Jay Cutler... that day changed where my passion led me and the fire returned in a different way. For a while after college (I was preparing for the military at the time and crossfit got me in shape for that - I now work for the DoD), after a dislocated shoulder from crossfit, I had no passion to compete. I trained but looked like a runner. In 2012, I hopped on Intense Muscle and Dante's posts lit a fire in my ass. I knew what I was missing... I got in touch with Scott Stevenson and my fire had returned. So life takes you in crazy directions, but let your passion lead you...

TP4U, you answered your own question earlier in the thread when you said walking away is not an option. And i fully understand your reasoning behind not being able to walk away... I dont compete this is my hobby but if i was in your shoes and walked away the regret and what if would kill me also.

So you need to push forward. Im not blowing smoke up your ass, im just telling you what i think. I have seen your pictures and i feel like you have what it takes to get a pro card, so you better keep at it or you will regret it.

Maybe just skip a few shows, and just focus on training but not competing. Maybe all the diet and contest prep is taking a toll. Whats the worst that could happen if you skip a few shows and just train and eat? Maybe you will put on some nice mass and come in even bigger when you return to the stage?

I dont know i dont even compete so maybe im clueless. But you arent gonna quit, so i dont see how missing a few shows could hurt as long as you train.

I know this, bodybuilding the way I have been doing it will not continue to be done the way Im doing it now.
I see myself after 45 having a physique much more svelte and like a physique competitor.
I have those goals I mentioned, if I can get there then I do, but eventually I know time will win the battle and being big and ripped becomes too hard to do physically and economically, and I would like to do other things...eventually- BUT right now my goals are clear. I have worked hard for 25 years I have a good couple years left in me then it will be about being in shape and working hard but not to have pro like proportions and size.
One beautiful thing about getting older is caring less and less about what others think about you. Im in this for ME. I guess because its so personal that the emotional side of it drives me and keeps me motivated.
If that makes any sense.

I'm 40 and recently I have stoped working out. I feel like I'm not into the big look anymore. Last 3 years iv lost it since iv found my wife. It's not important anymore I feel. There's more in life then looking big.

working out, competiting, the eating, its all a hobby for me, i enjoy my hobby, it brings me joy and pleasure, so that in itself is motivation... happyness!!

Get some dopamine agonists. Caber, mucana puriens, Kre anabolin.
I beat the shit out of the weights because I refuse to drink, look like a Walmartian, and my total distrust of world affairs. A good fight with the old lady is great too, then the make up sex. WOW
Turn the neagtives into the positive. Voltaire in "Candide" declared "this is the best of all worlds". even when life beats the shit out of you. Just get even in the gym. lol I live by that.

working out, competiting, the eating, its all a hobby for me, i enjoy my hobby, it brings me joy and pleasure, so that in itself is motivation... happyness!!

Exactly... happiness.... why force yourself into something that does not make you happy?

Maybe he has family that loves him and or needs him? Maybe he is single and maybe he has no family but when you are married and have kids and have people who need you then it's time to put on your big boy pants and man up.

Yeah way to make a hypothetical scenario up. No one mentioned anything about his poor neglected family.

Maybe he's a cancer researcher and before he started bodybuilding he was just on the brink of a cure, now that he's a bodybuilder people are dying every day because he wants to get swole.

Or maybe he is actually captain america, and the US military wanted him to stop taking tren because then he killed everyone on the battlefield and not just the bad guys. But he refused because he loves the hard dense look and aggression in the gym. Now our troops are getting killed because they don't have captain america to help them.

That would be a real tragedy, if only he could put on his big boy pants...

He already said quitting was not an option. So why dont we all just offer some positive encouragement and advice?

There are always ups and downs in any business or industry. From the time i was 23-27 I was on top of the world because business was booming and I was partying all the time. I have had to re-invent myself twice since then, as the economy has changed. You just push on....

TP4U, this too shall pass. You said you get happiness from seeing your clients get progress, thats great. Just keep training and eventually the low point will pass. I said in my earlier post, maybe skip a show or 2 and just train. All the prep might be taking a toll.

As long as you know you are not going to quit you will get passed it eventually.

Yeah way to make a hypothetical scenario up. No one mentioned anything about his poor neglected family.

Maybe he's a cancer researcher and before he started bodybuilding he was just on the brink of a cure, now that he's a bodybuilder people are dying every day because he wants to get swole.

Or maybe he is actually captain america, and the US military wanted him to stop taking tren because then he killed everyone on the battlefield and not just the bad guys. But he refused because he loves the hard dense look and aggression in the gym. Now our troops are getting killed because they don't have captain america to help them.

That would be a real tragedy, if only he could put on his big boy pants...

Lol way to avoid my comment. How do we know he isn't hurting someone else if he leaves this planet too early. I can see it now on his tombstone. .."died young but man was he vascular"

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

You gotta do what you want. In my experience, if after a few years the fire continues to dwindle, you may be reaching that point that many men in their 30's reach--the point where competition--and building a massive physique--starts to means less than it used to.

Like many guys here, I used to love training and even eating like a BB'r, but once I hit my 30's it started to dwindle and never returned. OH, I've had moments where I would want to look good again and just recently decided to make another run for 300 lbs, but I never regained the overwhelming drive and desire to look like a pro. If I can't reach my goal on my terms, I just won't reach it ad I am OK with that. Overall, BB'ing just didn't seem nearly as worth it as it once did--the return is no longer worth the sacrifice.

This may not be you. You just might be hitting a wall and will come out of it, but you should have your answer within a year or two.

You gotta do what you want. In my experience, if after a few years the fire continues to dwindle, you may be reaching that point that many men in their 30's reach--the point where competition--and building a massive physique--starts to means less than it used to.

Like many guys here, I used to love training and even eating like a BB'r, but once I hit my 30's it started to dwindle and never returned. OH, I've had moments where I would want to look good again and just recently decided to make another run for 300 lbs, but I never regained the overwhelming drive and desire to look like a pro. If I can't reach my goal on my terms, I just won't reach it ad I am OK with that. Overall, BB'ing just didn't seem nearly as worth it as it once did--the return is no longer worth the sacrifice.

This may not be you. You just might be hitting a wall and will come out of it, but you should have your answer within a year or two.

I should just keep my mouth shut bc i have no idea what its like to be that big and try to maintain it. Never got over 240...

Here i am telling TP4U to push on and i dont have a clue, its gotta get old sometimes. Do you bro, however you feel. Im just saying i think you got the goods, just dont keep pushing if after a few years you dont have the desire...

I should just keep my mouth shut bc i have no idea what its like to be that big and try to maintain it. Never got over 240...

Here i am telling TP4U to push on and i dont have a clue, its gotta get old sometimes. Do you bro, however you feel. Im just saying i think you got the goods, just dont keep pushing if after a few years you dont have the desire...

Body weight is relative. Are you 6'2 or 5'5. That makes a huge difference in how much someone needs to weigh in order to look big. I am taller, so 300 lbs is not nearly as big as it sounds.

Last edited:
Yeah i get that, im 6 feet usually around 215-225 so not big by BB standards. So guys that are competing at the national level are carrying around a lot more mass and putting more into BB than i am. Thats the only point i was trying to make.

If i miss a meal whatever. If i miss a workout i aint happy tho...

I think I will reach that point myself Mike...but right now Im still all in. I think its odd people putt the negative spin on it, oh you spend your money and time on this wasteful endeavor...wasteful to whom? Them? I love it, I found something in my life I am extremely passionate about- I have never fallen in love with a woman, lust yes, love no- I am in love with bodybuilding.
Everytime I hear someone put it down and talk about all the other things in life I'm missing out on I ask "LIKE WHAT?"
I don't ever get an answer- those things may interest other people but don't do a damn thing for me. I am loner, and I enjoy the challenge of 'me against me' seeing what I am physically capable of -and after prison and losing a lot of what I worked hard for the new challenge is to see if I can be better than before.
Like many eventually old age will change my perspective and my priorities will shift but until then....this is what makes me HAPPY.
And for me thats all the motivation needed.

Phil competed this past season - honestly a lot of guys go through this after competitive seasons, they question things and re-evaluate the necessity to push themselves all over again- he will, after some time, get the drive back.

my problem is i'm 5'11 200lbs and i've tried to reach the 220lbs mark many times but i have a small bone structure but fail. on the flip side, i look bigger than what i am and most people guess my weight 15-20lbs heavier but it still a PIA.

Last edited:
my problem is i'm 5'11 200lbs and i've tried to reach the 220lbs mark many times but i have a small bone structure but fail. on the flip side, i look bigger than what i am and most people guess my weight 15-20lbs heavier but it still a PIA.

Increase cals my friend

That's way too big for physique anyways dude.
you have to come in about 185 to 195 tops depending on the show.

I think I will reach that point myself Mike...but right now Im still all in. I think its odd people putt the negative spin on it, oh you spend your money and time on this wasteful endeavor...wasteful to whom? Them? I love it, I found something in my life I am extremely passionate about- I have never fallen in love with a woman, lust yes, love no- I am in love with bodybuilding.
Everytime I hear someone put it down and talk about all the other things in life I'm missing out on I ask "LIKE WHAT?"
I don't ever get an answer- those things may interest other people but don't do a damn thing for me. I am loner, and I enjoy the challenge of 'me against me' seeing what I am physically capable of -and after prison and losing a lot of what I worked hard for the new challenge is to see if I can be better than before.
Like many eventually old age will change my perspective and my priorities will shift but until then....this is what makes me HAPPY.
And for me thats all the motivation needed.

Phil competed this past season - honestly a lot of guys go through this after competitive seasons, they question things and re-evaluate the necessity to push themselves all over again- he will, after some time, get the drive back.

I hear. That's why I said "you gotta do what you wanna do". If you want to do it, then do it. If not, then don't.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner