advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How has the Economy affected your life and (bb'ing lifestyle)?

Massive G

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I know this is kinda off topic but it really has hit a lot of people hard-I didn't realize it until we (DC Homon and Skip) were discussing it over on Intense Muscle.
Me personally I buy bigger quantities and fill the spare refrigerator and freezers I have in my garage up a bit more to limit trips to the grocery store to once every 2 weeks vs a couple of times a week.
This of course has it's limitations on fresh produce and veggies and requires looking a lot of dating.
I won't even look at the gas pump when I am pumping and won't print a reciept. I just can't bare to look at all the $$ I am dumping down the gaspipe and out the tailpipe polluting the world.

I look a lot more at price tags now of everything and if I have to buy a commercial supplement or vitamins I shop around for a longer time.
I buy new tanks from champion, instead of house of pain. I have resisted buying a new car and do most of my own stuff around the house-cut and edge my lawn powerwash my house and eck et all vs in the past I pay people to do it as it is exhausting and most of the time is done on my days off which ruins them.

I guess I am being scrupulous and cautionary. I still have my career and a great job and benefits but as with anything it is AT risk to be lost as well. I feel for so many people that have lost their jobs or even the younger guys who have to get minimum wage jobs and are beat out by illegals or otherwise.

I have no gym membership anymore-we have one at work which is very good and I have a ton of equipment at home in my garage that is almost complete as a gym so I utilize it instead of driving the 60 mile round trip to the gym and associated fees. To me that's a sacrifice cause I love the commercial gyms but it's just eating into my pockets. I am far from broke but the look ahead looks bleak and weak and I am trying to plan ahead as I head into my almost 4th decade and almost 2 decades of professional work behind me.

How has the economy affected your bb'ing goals and life in general?

Price Chopper offers .10cents off every gallon gas for every $50 spent so i take full advantage of it these days.

Good topic!

One of my businesses is a supplement store (Nutrishop) and we have definitely felt the economic impact. Supplements are a luxury and not a necessity and in the city my store is at middle and low income is the majority so paying for food and rent comes first and if there is any money left over then they may come in and get supplements. Luckily for me I have about 5 sources of income so when one thing is not doing well that month something else covers it but I also never get a full day off either as I work 7 days per week to keep the American dream alive...LOL! I gues on the bright side I get my supplements as cheap as anyone and never have a problem with availability ... plus my Reps. and vendors are always sending me free stuff and giving me free shirts to wear and I get to go to all the shows and expo's for free so that's one of the pluses of having a store. I feel that if you specialize in just one thing in this economy it might bight you in the ass... the only thing we should all specialize in is making money not just one profession or skill. I think creative and intelligent people will prosper in any economy.

I odnt buy as much supplements as I used to. I drive to gym thats closer to my home that is horsecrap. And overall i really dont go out to eat or do much anymore because everything costs too much. I just save save save. although my house is very nice. I have a poll table, home theater room, spa, etc so to be honest I could live in my house like a hermit and be ok.

Everytime I go to the grocery store. Sam's has the best deal on protein, EAS 5lb bag for $30, although a year ago it was $5 cheaper. We all bitch about the rising cost of food but it is still much cheaper than going out to eat. If things keep going up who knows what's in store in the next 6 months. I follow politics and I will say this, don't expect much of a change as long as Bush is in the White House.

Hopefully we elect someone that doesn't have deep family ties to oil companies. Gas is only one of many problems, but gas is the biggest problem.

Funny, everytime a Bush is in office , gas prices rise. And don't come back with the "war crap".

I'm not a rich guy and never have been. The cool thing is that my car gets about 36 miles to the gallon and to be very honest, I dont really spend money on anything crazy like clothes or fancy stuff for myself like I used to when I was a bit younger. I shop at Sams Club and try to limit eating out like I used to. I noticed you can really save money by not eating out a couple times a week. I loved getting sushi and hitting up Outback but those times are fewer and far between now. Something else I have noticed is that I think you get used to a certain style of living and then you have to make adjustments which is a pain in the ass. Nobody likes change. However, after a few months of living on a new budget, you get used to that to and it's not so bad. I try to look at everything with a positive outlook as things could always be worse.

The economy hasn't affected my business yet, as my business is one of the last a company will be a able to do without. I am pretty much one of the last just prior to losing phone, electric and fuel that companies can do without. I can tell you that fuel affects all of us, hands down. Everything has an escalated price now because fuel prices are up. The second problem is the mortgage boom that happened a few years back. They saturated the market here in the US and I believe it is probably one of the main problems of the economy today besides the amount of money we arew spending on this useless war. While other standards of finance tend to gain value the US dollar is on a downward spiral. I will stick it out in hopes that this will straighten itself out over the next 10 years, but nevertheless it will take some major changes and mindset here.

Housing!!!!
yowsa I forgot about that.

It's a big problem right now.

I was planning on selling my house by now which I had built in 1998 and building a new one but it's not gonna be possible right now.

On the bb'ing side I know a lot of people that have told me they can't afford to compete due to time and resources needed. It sucks.

The whole housing thing kills me. IMO it started with the idiots that put the people loans together. I see the same thing being in the car business. Somebody comes in and makes X amount of money and knowing they cant afford it they raise there income, send it to the banks and get approved for much more then what they can pay for. So a year down the road people are struggling and let the car go back. Its the same thing with housing. These loan officers bump the income, and put people in houses knowing good and damn well they cant afford it. But the loan officer and everybody else makes there money and there commissions while the families suffer.

As of it all affecting me, it does, the car business is way off but with my end of it its ok (we do advertising and mail for dealers). But the rising cost of food, gas and everything else does deal with me. Everything is affected by gas because the trucks and planes that deliver any goods has to cover there fuel expense. Its ridiculous how bad its gotten.

public transportation..

To those who have the option, y not start using public transportation for everything. i know i would

This could be the future

This is what i think alot of people will resort to next year. Hell I would if i didnt travel so much.
**broken link removed**

AWN2004 you are dead on about lifestyle. Of all the people that are complaining about rising costs and how many of them are still flocking out to the mall and buying the newest designer clothes or driving a vehicle they can't afford just to look good? I wear a pair of Nike wrestling shoes to work out in that I bought in 03 and they're just now starting to fall apart. I live with my girl and we hardly ever go out, but like you said as you get older and hopefully mature you learn to do without things like CD's and designer clothes. Inoverdrive I was in the car business and know exactly where you're coming from. I really worry about teenagers. They watch shows like "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" and "The Hills" and think that's how you're supposed to live. Shows like that send a terrible message. People try to emulate that life style and end up broke. Work hard and learn to appreciate what you do have. Sure we could all use more money, but things could be alot worse. I've heard my grandparents talk about the Great Depression many times.

To those who have the option, y not start using public transportation for everything. i know i would

I use it, but the price of that in some areas has picked up dramatically too. Its a real bitch.

For me, I buy in bulk when things are on sale and just in general because its cheaper per unit. I make less trips to the grocery store as well and dont travel as much.

it hasnt affected me much....

cause i am still young (27), i am an accountant (auditor) for a big firm, so my salary keeps going up every 6 months or so. And the strong euro also helps, although that will change sooner or later.
A year ago i bought my own house (145 m2 with a 120m2 garden) for about EUR 240.000. Total mortgage is EUR 294.000. Monthly payments are a pain in the butt.....but hey they were always like this. Interest is fixed for 10-15years (4,7%) the house is now worth EUR 330.000 so thats good news too. :)

Gas prices have always been high here, but still keep rising. About 70% of that is taxes. As is about everything here. But i have a company car so i dont spend anything on gas. I dont pay anything for my car. So i really cant complain.

Due to the strong euro my vacation to the antilles at the end of the month is gonna be a lot cheaper than normal. Paid everything in advance in dollars. So that saved me.

GRoceries and stuff are expensive, but i wait untill chicken for example are in wholesale and then i stock-up.
I get my protein powders from Performance, buddy of mine works there and i get two tubs (4 kilo) for EUR 60 ($90), instead of EUR 100 ($150). SO that aint bad either.
LBA's are a lot cheaper now too :D Only the shipping costs stink. But i think i will order again soon :)

I've always lived below my income so my lifestlye hasn't really changed other than putting more money in savings instead of spending it.

I've always lived below my income so my lifestlye hasn't really changed other than putting more money in savings instead of spending it.

I do too, but I feel the crunch more in the increase of public transportation, the price of foods, and other necessities.

The biggest mistake I have ever made financially was not tightening up quick enough. Most of the time, by the time you feel the need to tighten it is too late.

The idea of saving is so difficult for some of us to put into action, but it can be a lifesaver. Savings can reduce so much stress in your life. I believe that a large percentage of arguments between couples can find their root in the stresses that finances cause.

When I was younger and planning for my life I made all the mistakes you could make financially. Spending all you make, increase spending as income increases, using credit cards etc. I personally think their are a few stages that you must pass throug to relieve financial stress.

Stage 1: You do not yet earn enough to support yourself and depend on parents or others (such as living at home)

Stage 2: You fully support yourself and your family with no outside assistance but live paycheck to paycheck.

Stage 3.: You support yourself and your family and have 3 months living expenses saved.

Stage 4: You support yourself and your family and have 1 year living expenses saved,

Stage 5: You support yourself and your family, have 1 year living expenses saved, and can invest for retirement.

A lot of stress is taken off your life when you enter stage 3. Stress you don't even realize is there. Not worrying if your credit card will be accepted, not sending in checks for bills hoping that you can get in a deposit b4 it hits the bank, each little "emergency" new brakes etc, creating a negative impact on your life, no late fees etc. When you enter Stage 4, many unconscious stresses are removed. Eviction from your home if you lose your job is not imminent, you can take advantage of a new job opportunity if it comes along without putting feeding your family at risk.

Striving to reach Stage 3, and Stage 4 should be a goal. The two factors that effect this are your earning and your spending. While the amount you earn can be infinite and therefore has the largest potential to change your life, it can be the slower, harder one to change. Changing your spending is immediate. For most of us, each dollar we do not spend is like earning $1.40 because of taxes. If you delay each purchase one day, you will be amazed at how many things you do not need to purchase at all.

Pekkerwood

The biggest mistake I have ever made financially was not tightening up quick enough. Most of the time, by the time you feel the need to tighten it is too late.

The idea of saving is so difficult for some of us to put into action, but it can be a lifesaver. Savings can reduce so much stress in your life. I believe that a large percentage of arguments between couples can find their root in the stresses that finances cause.

When I was younger and planning for my life I made all the mistakes you could make financially. Spending all you make, increase spending as income increases, using credit cards etc. I personally think their are a few stages that you must pass throug to relieve financial stress.

Stage 1: You do not yet earn enough to support yourself and depend on parents or others (such as living at home)

Stage 2: You fully support yourself and your family with no outside assistance but live paycheck to paycheck.

Stage 3.: You support yourself and your family and have 3 months living expenses saved.

Stage 4: You support yourself and your family and have 1 year living expenses saved,

Stage 5: You support yourself and your family, have 1 year living expenses saved, and can invest for retirement.

A lot of stress is taken off your life when you enter stage 3. Stress you don't even realize is there. Not worrying if your credit card will be accepted, not sending in checks for bills hoping that you can get in a deposit b4 it hits the bank, each little "emergency" new brakes etc, creating a negative impact on your life, no late fees etc. When you enter Stage 4, many unconscious stresses are removed. Eviction from your home if you lose your job is not imminent, you can take advantage of a new job opportunity if it comes along without putting feeding your family at risk.

Striving to reach Stage 3, and Stage 4 should be a goal. The two factors that effect this are your earning and your spending. While the amount you earn can be infinite and therefore has the largest potential to change your life, it can be the slower, harder one to change. Changing your spending is immediate. For most of us, each dollar we do not spend is like earning $1.40 because of taxes. If you delay each purchase one day, you will be amazed at how many things you do not need to purchase at all.

Pekkerwood

Great post. A couple of years ago, I was living paycheck to paycheck and the stress was killing me. Like you mention, it is one of those stresses you don't really notice until it is gone. In a way it was good because I decided to stop living like that and that put me in the cutting back mode before the housing crash and other American market pressure really started hitting. Just plain luck really. Now I'm just trying to be patient as I work on building up my income...

I have begun storing food in a 2nd freezer, and buying supps in bulk quantities in case the shit hits the fan! Sam's and other discount nutritional sources get my bulk business if thats how they deal. I just got out of an econimics class where we studied this whole roll down ot a recession. Invest your stimulus check in the US economy!!! Buy more supps and food! I am also supporting my local farmers markets for fresh groceries. The thing that is kicking everyone's aSs is gasoline. It causes everything to inflate due to transportation costs. God, I need a higher raise this year! Doubt it will happen! LOL.
GL

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner