advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

how many carbs does it take to stimulate an insulin response?

flexmaster

Featured Member/Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
just curious if anyone knows how many simple carbs its takes to stimulate an insulin response? does the amount of insulin secreted vary with the amount of simple carbs ingested?

Just about any amount will stimulate the response. BUT you can use protein or protein and complex carbs and not use the simple carbs

im pretty sure i know the answer to this, but...

Crowler said:
Just about any amount will stimulate the response. BUT you can use protein or protein and complex carbs and not use the simple carbs
does ingesting protein along with simple cho lessen the insulin response? i dont think it does, but i could be wrong.

also, so spiking your insulin naturally multiple times per day can be detrimental in that you can ruin your body's response to your natural insulin correct [for example type II diabetes]? the reason im thinking about this is im wondering if ingesting protein and simple carbs [to stimulate the insulin response] would be more beneficial than protien and complex carbs.

how long after non steady state exercise does insulin start being secreted again? ive learned that exercise inhibits the secretion of insulin, so that caloric intake during exercise [or soon there after] goes toward making ATP and not storage. so how long after exercise [i dont know if steady state matters for this or not] does the body stop inhibiting insulin secretion?

flexmaster said:
does ingesting protein along with simple cho lessen the insulin response? i dont think it does, but i could be wrong.

also, so spiking your insulin naturally multiple times per day can be detrimental in that you can ruin your body's response to your natural insulin correct [for example type II diabetes]? the reason im thinking about this is im wondering if ingesting protein and simple carbs [to stimulate the insulin response] would be more beneficial than protien and complex carbs.

how long after non steady state exercise does insulin start being secreted again? ive learned that exercise inhibits the secretion of insulin, so that caloric intake during exercise [or soon there after] goes toward making ATP and not storage. so how long after exercise [i dont know if steady state matters for this or not] does the body stop inhibiting insulin secretion?

When you ingest protein and/or fats with your carbs it slows the breakdown of carbs into your system. This in turn slows the release of glucose into your bloodsteam which blunts the insulin response. Therefore it's better to consume all 3 (fats, proteins, and carbs) together. This can help stave off desensitization of the insulin receptors and prevent adult onset diabetes.

Last edited:
tflash said:
When you ingest protein and/or fats with your carbs it slows the breakdown of carbs into your system. This in turn slows the release of glucose into your bloodsteam which blunts the insulin response. Therefore it's better to consume all 3 (fats, proteins, and carbs) together. This can help stave off desensitization of the insulin receptors and prevent adult onset diabetes.
i guess that makes sense since carbs are [mainly] digested in the intestine and not the stomach [i know it initially begins in the mouth]...so i guess my real question is: can drinking simple sugars with your protein stimulate an insulin response that would be beneficial to growth? or would it actually be detrimental because of the desensitization of the insulin receptors?

flexmaster said:

Epi/norepiphrine inhibits the beta cells of the pancreas from releasing insulin during steady and non steady state exercise. Though insulin levels are very low during exercise glucose transport increases to active skeletal muscle. High Ca2+ levels in the sarcoplasm initiatie glut4 translocation in active muscle cells. This increase in glut4 receptor remains elevated for up to 24 hours depending on duration and instensity of exercise. This is why insulin sensitivity is up after exercise. Less insulin is needed to clear blood glucose. You need to consider excess post exercise oxygen consumption when you are trying to determine what is being stored and what is being oxidized. Protein synth and glycogen synth go up post exercise especially with a protein carb meal. Metabolism is up as well. Hope that answers your question. you want protein/eaa's immediately post exercise. Don't worry about when insulin will be released because the simple answer is it will be released when blood glucose gets high enough to trigger a response

aesop said:
Epi/norepiphrine inhibits the beta cells of the pancreas from releasing insulin during steady and non steady state exercise. Though insulin levels are very low during exercise glucose transport increases to active skeletal muscle. High Ca2+ levels in the sarcoplasm initiatie glut4 translocation in active muscle cells. This increase in glut4 receptor remains elevated for up to 24 hours depending on duration and instensity of exercise. This is why insulin sensitivity is up after exercise. Less insulin is needed to clear blood glucose. You need to consider excess post exercise oxygen consumption when you are trying to determine what is being stored and what is being oxidized. Protein synth and glycogen synth go up post exercise especially with a protein carb meal. Metabolism is up as well. Hope that answers your question. you want protein/eaa's immediately post exercise. Don't worry about when insulin will be released because the simple answer is it will be released when blood glucose gets high enough to trigger a response
why is this? not trying to be combative... just curious as to what effect excess post exercise oxygen consumption has on protein and carbohydrate synthesis?

edit:

also, i thought glut4 inhibited insulin from storing carbs during exercise and is more or less a shortcut for simple carbs into the mitochondria? how does an increase in glut4 also increase insulin sensitivty? is the reason less insulin is needed to clear blood glucose because there are still glut4 receptors translocated to the outside of the mitochondria which helps insulin shuttle simple carbs into the mitochondria?

sorry for so many questions...i like talking about this though, and it seems you are well educated on the subject :)

Last edited:
flexmaster said:
i guess that makes sense since carbs are [mainly] digested in the intestine and not the stomach [i know it initially begins in the mouth]...so i guess my real question is: can drinking simple sugars with your protein stimulate an insulin response that would be beneficial to growth? or would it actually be detrimental because of the desensitization of the insulin receptors?

Desensitization of the insulin receptors would tend to occur in someone who CHRONICALLY eats too many carbs and too many of the wrong kind at the wrong times.

I'm not sure if you are referring to post workout for this simple sugar and protein mixture or just in general.

If it's post workout it seems reasonable that it could help by replenishing glycogen stores and delivering essential repair nutrients. Then again that would depend on the timing, quanity, and ratios your pre-workout meal was and the kind of training you are doing. However, remember that insulin spikes signal the body to store fat. So if you're looking to do this on a regular basis I would advise against it unless it's post workout. I'd say keep it simple and just get a regular and balanced stream of all 3 nutrients and you don't have to worry about all of that stuff. Others may disagree, but that's my take.

tflash said:
Desensitization of the insulin receptors would tend to occur in someone who CHRONICALLY eats too many carbs and too many of the wrong kind at the wrong times.

I'm not sure if you are referring to post workout for this simple sugar and protein mixture or just in general.

If it's post workout it seems reasonable that it could help by replenishing glycogen stores and delivering essential repair nutrients. Then again that would depend on the timing, quanity, and ratios your pre-workout meal was and the kind of training you are doing. However, remember that insulin spikes signal the body to store fat. So if you're looking to do this on a regular basis I would advise against it unless it's post workout. I'd say keep it simple and just get a regular and balanced stream of all 3 nutrients and you don't have to worry about all of that stuff. Others may disagree, but that's my take.

originally i was asking if eating simple carbs multiple times per day along with protein and fats would lead to better growth than complex carbs+protien+fats. i have always read on boards to not do this, but thought it would nice to have an intelligent conversation on the subject to really understand the physiology of it all.

flexmaster said:
originally i was asking if eating simple carbs multiple times per day along with protein and fats would lead to better growth than complex carbs+protien+fats. i have always read on boards to not do this, but thought it would nice to have an intelligent conversation on the subject to really understand the physiology of it all.

Ok, in that case I would say no. I don't think you'd have an advantage with eating simple carbs multiple times per day along with protein and fats. Lower glycemic carbs would be much better in that case. You'd have a more balanced stream of energy both physically and mentally along with not overworking your pancreas and insulin receptors. Additionally, you will tend to get much more fiber from the lower glycemic carbs which also works to slow absorption and keep steady insulin levels. This also benefits the bowels which are extremely important in overall health. With good bowel function you keep the GI tract healthier and get better elimination of toxins, better absorption of nutrients, a stronger immune system and a plethora of other benefits.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner