over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Human nature..............

PHIL HERNON

Banned
Why is it that some guys on here will post their picture and proclaim, "Here I am guys, my fat ass" or "I am so fat here, go ahead and make fun of me" or "I am a doughboy", etc.. ...........but when we say that Trey Brewer is too heavy we are being mean to him? We are being disrespectful? This is bodybuilding, since when does commenting on ones condition make us horrible mean people?

Why is it that some guys on here will post their picture and proclaim, "Here I am guys, my fat ass" or "I am so fat here, go ahead and make fun of me" or "I am a doughboy", etc.. ...........but when we say that Trey Brewer is too heavy we are being mean to him? We are being disrespectful? This is bodybuilding, since when does commenting on ones condition make us horrible mean people?
LOL i know what you mean phil, hell im the first guy to call myself fatass :) hell my nickname at my gym (my second gym) is fatboy, they call me fatboy even when im 2 weeks out from a show..LOL and i take no offense to it at all, and you know what i bet that trey could give a shit less either. when the pics of johny jackson guest posing hit all over the internet people were tearing him a new ass and i don't believe anyone came to his defense, so who the hell is trey brewer compared to johny jackson that we have to "watch" what we say, hell people rip kamali a new ass everywhere and people don't come to defend him and in real life kamali is one hell of a nice guy. im so confused :confused:

Well,,most of the people that post "here i am doughboy" are not really dough boys.. They know in their mind that they are not really fat they just saying it...and if someone really called them fat and ugly and meant it, tehy prolly throw a fit about it and try to rip the other person apart...

I think when you become one of the top guys you would Just have to be ready for it... People are going to say Both good and bad things. What if we all Just sat here and Patted EVERYONE on the ass and told eachother how great the world and everyone in it is.

I Like to hear everyones honest thoughts and Opinions...I think as far as rules, It Just needs to be done in a professional manner (No threats, Cursing or childish stuff). Now where is that Line drawn who Knows exactly but I know unless its realy uncalled for I try not to erase anyones posts.

I 2nd that motion, I expect both positive and negative feedback by posting on here. Just positive only though for me my ego is quite fragile and can't handle any negative.:p

Well,,most of the people that post "here i am doughboy" are not really dough boys.. They know in their mind that they are not really fat they just saying it...and if someone really called them fat and ugly and meant it, tehy prolly throw a fit about it and try to rip the other person apart...
you see, fat is all relative, what i consider fat may not be fat to you, so if i call myself fat, then damnit im fat whether you think so or not, I consider myself a bodybuilder but i let my self go somewhat in the offseason, cause i love to eat and i love to eat cheesecake damnit :D so yea beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in my eyes im fat! :mad:

so you wouldn't be calling me anything that i don't already know or that ALL my people at the gym don't already call me.

i think it is funny that someone would participate in a sport where the outcome is based on sombody's opinion of what you look like, and then be offended by criticism. i mean critiquing physiques is what this whole thing is based on right? not how much of a good guy you are, or what a heart warming story you may have. those things are for friends and family. i recently posted my 15 weeks out pics really expecting more criticism than i received considering i am not close to the level of competitors we have on this board. so no, i don't think it makes us mean to critique in a constructive manner.

---------------------
I don't post much here Phil, since you know that my goals currently aren't to compet but to build a solid muscular foundation. However your post has sparked my perception the situation at hand and would like to share my view on this.

I see from all the posts on ProM that most issues are viewed from two different age groups.

The first one (somewhat younger persons) have the position that they want to gain as much mass as possible in the shortest time possible. They grew up with the idea that fat is ok in whatever amounts, simply because it can be dieted off later. The primary consideration is mass at all costs with increased strenght. Compounding this problem is America's societal acceptance of obesity as a result of "Prosperity".

The second group (more mature persons), have the position that it is possible to grow significant muscle while taking care of your health and maintaining a healthy level of bodyfat. We have had years to understand that there are repercussions to every action that we do with our bodies and want to have many more quality years ahead to do "other" things (family, kids, business, love) besides being big and strong.

Brewer, Centopani and other big young bodybuilders, from my perspective, represent icons that kids see as fast success stories. Why do they see them as sucess...I guess the whole aurea of not studying a profession, getting a supplement company to sponsor and having the new marketing machine called the interent promote them as the "new generation" is reason enough for them. Society now is focussed only on fast results, in everything.

However more experienced lifters have come to understand that anything worth doing takes years and years of constant effort. To offer honest opinions about a young physique, from the perspective of experience is to criticize (note bad connotation here); and it is mentally difficult to accept that whatever money, fame, size and glory will be short-term lived in comparison to the long-term health effects that accompany old-school bulking / cutting cycles. Commenting is not a problem; the problem is the idea of what commenting implies for the younger bodybuilders; it is an issue that they have to learn to deal with. Or there will be a lot of sore, resentful people in the near future.

Very, very true. It's called..."issues".

Here is the problem as I see it. In the old days, nobody ever saw pro bodybuilders in the offseason, you only saw pics of them onstage or at the photo shoot a couple days after the show. Everybody thought the pros were awesome and walking around 24/7 at 8% bodyfat. With the internet comes the information age of photos at any time of year and heck it wouldnt surprise me if someone puts up a picture of Trey Brewer putting out his garbage someday. But we have gotten to the point we arent judging these guys onstage anymore-----we are judging them year round. I get really pissed off when i see people on Getbig making fun of Levrone's wife, Cutlers wife or any pro bodybuilders wife saying she is a skank/ugly.

They didnt asked to be judged....they are just a loving spouse....should be totally offbounds.

I kind of look at the same thing here. Trey Brewer showed up to his show dialed in on the money and dominated. Are we judging him the other 364 days a year too?

i would imagine that trey brewer erally doesnt care what most people think about his condition...to each his own.

driving around in a circle at 180 miles an hour is crazy, spending your life working 80 hours a week, seems a bit crazy to me, so i think its all perspective as to how "dangerous" things are and no one should really care too much, though i do agree trey does look rather out of shape.

I can honestly say this-

I am judging myself 365 days per year. I would LOVE to look in the mirror and think, "Hell, yes!" lol. Once in a while I'll say, okay that's pretty good.

I also think Dante's right about that. I always thought bodybuilders just looked pretty close to what I saw in the magazines. I never saw an offseason pro until a few years ago and geez did that open my eyes.

The pics of Lee Priest in that one issue of MuscleMag flat assed shocked me.

That's what I get for living out in the boon docks!

Here is the problem as I see it. In the old days, nobody ever saw pro bodybuilders in the offseason, you only saw pics of them onstage or at the photo shoot a couple days after the show. Everybody thought the pros were awesome and walking around 24/7 at 8% bodyfat. With the internet comes the information age of photos at any time of year and heck it wouldnt surprise me if someone puts up a picture of Trey Brewer putting out his garbage someday. But we have gotten to the point we arent judging these guys onstage anymore-----we are judging them year round. I get really pissed off when i see people on Getbig making fun of Levrone's wife, Cutlers wife or any pro bodybuilders wife saying she is a skank/ugly.

They didnt asked to be judged....they are just a loving spouse....should be totally offbounds.

I kind of look at the same thing here. Trey Brewer showed up to his show dialed in on the money and dominated. Are we judging him the other 364 days a year too?

This is exactly my problem with the situation as well... Besides the fact that I try not to judge others... we are..after all...our own worst critics...the funny thing is that Trey may really not even care...but I do have to ask...are we going to judge someones potential by their current state? lol...

the one thing that is going to make me feel bad for trey is if he shows up to jr. nationals in less than stellar conditioning or average conditioning, cause then the internet is going to blow the fuck up with "ITOLD YOU SO'S". then you will hear all the internet know it alls tell us how trey should have listened to them :rolleyes:

I understand what dante is saying to the fulliest, i know what needs to be done in the offseason to grow and be competitive in todays sport, I just think there is a higher limit that you need to say "ok this is it i don't want my bodyfat to get any more out of control than it is" and dante I know you like to keep your guys in certain bounderies, i just think the guy who is telling trey what to do doesn't really give two rats ass and is just standing behind him pushing him in the back so to speak saying "GO GO GO".

then again i may be the biggest dumbshit in the world and treys guy might be the next hany rambod :eek:

This is exactly my problem with the situation as well... Besides the fact that I try not to judge others... we are..after all...our own worst critics...the funny thing is that Trey may really not even care...but I do have to ask...are we going to judge someones potential by their current state? lol...
I do know this! God love big trey, cause i know that from now till june that big man is going to be doing some hella suffering to get chisled for jr. nationals! now this i know...LOL and anyone that has stepped on a bodybuilding stage will know :p

I do know this! God love big trey, cause i know that from now till june that big man is going to be doing some hella suffering to get chisled for jr. nationals! now this i know...LOL and anyone that has stepped on a bodybuilding stage will know :p

Yeah he will...but he can do it though.....that big bastard...lol...

I was fucking around when I said I was husky.....wait no not really cause I am husky....LOL:p :D

Egos

Bottom line is that if you choose to be in a visual/subjective sport, man up. You will be fooling yourself if you think everyone loves the way you look and will always compliment you.

Phil, this is so true. I knew the day I decided to be a "BBer" I was leaving myself wide open to extreme criticism and I do mean extreme!! But when someone makes it personal I guess that's where the line is drawn. I usually say the same I have seen said in this thread, we'll see who's pointing fingers on show day. Because it boils down to that. If you or I choose to get fat in the offseason or let go as we say, then we are open to the negatives that come with that. We are all man/woman enough or should be to cop that on the chin and get on with it. it is a part of the game. I will say this, any one that has not attempted to get stage ready has no real business making derogatory comments on anyone's physique. Opinions are like assholes..........everybody has one!!!!

Bottom line is that if you choose to be in a visual/subjective sport, man up. You will be fooling yourself if you think everyone loves the way you look and will always compliment you.

I believe there is a different way to do things. A more positive way, where everyone accepts each other's weaknesses, and we all try to support one another. Contrary to popular belief....there is not ONE bodybuilder without a weakness. The person who believes he is perfect is the one fooling themselves. So if no bodybuilder is without weakness, then why expect perfection?

This thread is entitled "Human Nature...." What does that mean? Does it mean that Human Nature really is to criticize or be criticized? According to whom? Someone who criticizes themselves?

hmmm....these are just questions that this thread stirs up for me... Would love to get OTH, OldFella, and Brick in on this as we've had some fun philisophical discussions and OTH has a wealth of knowledge in this area. Would also love to hear some of the mods and vets chime in...

One thing we must do is throw out anyone who is not a professional bodybuilder or aspiring to be a professional bodybuilder. The amateur and recreational lifters shouldn't be judged by the same criteria as a professional bodybuilder should they? That is where I think amateur bodybuilders are exceeding expectations as some of them come in better conditioning than some pro's. They often just lack the mass.

One thing I've heard from some of the people in this industry is that bodybuilding is a selfish sport. Its all about how YOU look and how YOU want to look better than everyone else. That would be the nature of competition, and the competition is to look better than anyone else. I think forums like this are excellent in that it brings others together to share wealth of knowledge and encourage others. A lot of guys on here encourage being humble, paying your dues, etc...

Think about this for a minute. Who would want to compete in a sport where they were criticized more than applauded?

Its great to see stories like Rob Roys, and Dusty's, the rest of the boys in AZ, why not encourage comradere? Brotherhood? Positive Movement? Its easy to sit back and take jabs at others on a computer... Would you do the same in person? So openly? "Hey Trey!!! Your a Fat Ass MotherFucker Man!!!" hahaha... Shit.... I wouldn't be going around talkin' smack like that! hahaha
It only brings down the sport, causes backstabbing, and just isn't a real nice thing to do.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131