advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Kai Greene- I'll Never be a weight lifter.

Another thing I've noticed is that "heavy" is a relative term. Lifting heavier and heavier weights for 12-15 reps seems like the way to get it done. If you watch some of Ronnie's videos and cut through the "show" lifting that he's doing, watch the number of reps being performed with some really heavy weights. For example, his leg extensions. All sets are 30 reps. All the way up to the whole stack with a 45 pound plate hanging off it. His dumbell shoulder presses go up to 140's, but he does 14 reps with that light weight.

The point is, the other stuff he's doing is a "show". He wants to go big on the big lifts like squat, deads, and leg press to put on a show for the video. He knows that no one cares how much you can d.b. military press, so he does his normal work there. He also doesn't air it out on flat bench because he has a bad shoulder.

It's all about forcing your muscles to perform either more reps with the same weight, the same reps as you did last time with more weight, or doing the same weight/reps with less rest between sets. It's all about progress within your workout structure.

Try sticking to 10-12 reps on every upper body movement with 45 seconds rest between sets. First week will be a learning curve. Second week you will feel better, and third week you will start adding weight and advancing. At that point, if you have just been training heavy for the sake of training heavy, you will see crazy gains in fullness in your muscles. Give it a shot if you are at a sticking point in your 4-8 rep style workouts with 3 minute rest between sets.

Warning: Your ego is going to take a shot the first couple of weeks, but then you will surprise yourself when you bounce back.

Think a lot of peeps missed the point of the video. Its not about using light or heavy weight but a weight u can CONTROL and lift properly. Which the weights going to differ on advancement..

Look around your gym far few do this than those who do... slinging dumbells for curls and rows, bouncing barbells off chests, asses off the bench for presses, cheat movements.. i see it every time im at mine.

Kai can lift big.. just like any other monster his size it comes with advancement. He's simply instructing on how to lift proper.

Think a lot of peeps missed the point of the video. Its not about using light or heavy weight but a weight u can CONTROL and lift properly. Which the weights going to differ on advancement..

Look around your gym far few do this than those who do... slinging dumbells for curls and rows, bouncing barbells off chests, asses off the bench for presses, cheat movements.. i see it every time im at mine.

Kai can lift big.. just like any other monster his size it comes with advancement. He's simply instructing on how to lift proper.

Exactly. Lift right, not light.

To op thanx for the video.back when I watched Kai train with Dorian I loved it dorian handed Oscar and Kai an ass whooping in the sinse that he said I don't know how you have made it this far training the way you do!looks like Dorians advice paid off.because Kai use to train like crap.and probably used WAY more gear than neede to obtain his phisique.they need to have this playing at every gym.i thought that those here could appreciate a video like this.:confused:It's all synergistic.it all has to be right.it is time under tension!!!and then get out and recover as stated by another poster.sure you can get big moving weight but you will still look like a turd.just like all those so called bbders that get fat as hell in the off season thinking they will be bigger next contest only to find out they have to work harder to get the body fat down for comp again.and still are no bigger!ifmyou don't think Kai is right in this then you have no place calling yourself a bbder.sorry sad but true.i get so tired of having to teach people this over and over and they keep going back to their old ways and not making any gains.:naughty:

just like scottyd said some of your are missing the point it not about lifting light. Its about lifting as heavy as you can properly lift. I see guys all the time with arms smaller then me 30lbs lighter trying to out curl me. I just look and smile, I do not have the largest arms, but there above average.

I love to lift heavy with my bi's 60lb db with perfect form. I do not get excessive reps out of it maybe 5-6 nice ones but I watch guys flinging them up for 10 reps. Then they look around like there the shit. This I do not understand. I can get a better work out with the 45's squeezing every rep and feel great then ripping my shoulders out swinging a 70.

Seems I remember Arnold saying make a weight feel as heavy as you possibly can.

Arnold said allot of stuff that was either for his video or to make him stand out more. He was great at messing with peoples minds before contests. but yes make the weight as heavy as possible but do not compromise the physics of the lift. If your doing biceps there is no reason to swing your arm. If your doing legs and cant go down all the way its to heavy.

So you get bigger without getting stronger? Or even by getting weaker!? In 25 years of lifting I've yet to have that happen. It seems that I have to get stronger and not just by 10 lbs to make any appreciable gains. Lots of good food helps as do hormones of course.

The year i made the best gains I lifted less weights and worked out less in general. Muscle gains certainly isnt directly related to the amount of weight that is lifted, but is more or less the sum of a lot of factors combined.

the FASTEST way to ellicit a growth response is heavy weight. 3-5 sets and done. get out go eat and recover so you can retrain that muscle relatively soon, maybe 4 or 5 days later.

I'm NOT saying heavy, high intensity, high frequency is better but I do think its faster for adding mass. but thats just my opinion.

i assume by your handle you were born in 80 so your 31/32. get a little older 6-7 years and you will change your tune. i did DC for quite awhile and got good gains, but then turned more into a managing injuries vs gains. more volume less rest higher reps does more for me now

i assume by your handle you were born in 80 so your 31/32. get a little older 6-7 years and you will change your tune. i did DC for quite awhile and got good gains, but then turned more into a managing injuries vs gains. more volume less rest higher reps does more for me now

OH im sure I will... Hell every time I train now my elbows and wrists hurt like hell. Had some nerve impingement in my neck and back...all kinds of stuff. What I really try to do is progress in strength without forcing it. If I plateau on lets say declines for a few weeks and I keep failing at 8 I just keep trying and for some reason that plateau usually breaks almost like its doing it on its own. Rep ranges are also really important to me. I dont see a reason to go below 8 ever. Im more concerned with progression in strength in what I consider a relatively safe rep range and noticed that on some body parts I do well with 15+ reps. Still always to failure though.

Keep in mid that heavy is still a relative term as well. Ive just found that following Phil's advice has yet to steer me wrong.

he states plainly in that video, it's not about lifting light weights.
he sez its about contracting the muscle.
contracting muscles "against greater and greater resistance."
see? controlled contraction against progressively heavier weights. progressive resistance. muscle confusion? nope. wanna confuse yr muscle, add weight.

Every last ounce of muscle Ive built has came from one simple motto.. go strict and go until physical failure. I can do that with 100# or with 10# the only thing that changes is the amount of reps needed... and the strain on my joints. @35 yrs old i find myself swaying to the less weight more reps camp! Lol...knees...elbows...rotators... id like to get a few more years outta em! ;)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131