over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Leg training for my client

9muscle9

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Ive started personal training and here is the workout i had planned for my first client. I'm just breaking him into training slowly, and this is what i had planned for his leg workout today, is this alright for a beginner?

Legs and upper body stretches (Focusing on hamstring and leg joints being stretched)

Leg Extension - 1 x 20 reps (Warm up)
Leg Curl - 1 x 20 reps (Warm up)
Squats - 5 x 6 reps (40kg, 50kg, 60kg, 50kg, 40kg)
Leg press - 3 x Drop-sets (2 plates each side, take off 1 plate per drop)
Lunges - 1 Set (Unsure about this one, maybe squats and presses are enough for a first session)
Calve raises and Calve Press superset 3 x 6/3 x 6

What do you think? too much?

In for responses. Looks like a hell of a leg workout

First thing that came to mind is making sure the client is properly warmed up. I'd have he/she do 5 minutes on the stationary bike to make sure the hips and knees are properly warmed. This will also put blood in the quads and have them more loose for stretching. Stretching cold doesn't help but so much.

Then have them do a few walking lunges, hip stretches, and some dynamic stretching for the hammies...just a few minutes here, nothing crazy. The LAST thing you want is for a new client to get injured due to poor mobility. Once you get to know the client better then you can adjust the warmup to more suit them.

I'd also not go in expecting to stick 100% to the workout you prepared, especially with the weights listed. Just get them going and see how they feel during the workout. Obviously push them and try to stick to the lay out but again, if they haven't trained legs too hard in the past then sending them home with the worse case of DOMS they have ever experienced probably wont bring them back haha.

However, if they are experienced then that looks like a solid workout. I'd also stretch the fuck out of them post workout. Couch stretch, hip stretches, and ham stretches. If you have the time show them how to foam roll and get them to spend 5-10 minutes rolling out prior to sending them home.

Ive started personal training and here is the workout i had planned for my first client. I'm just breaking him into training slowly, and this is what i had planned for his leg workout today, is this alright for a beginner?

Legs and upper body stretches (Focusing on hamstring and leg joints being stretched)

Lunges - 1 Set (Unsure about this one, maybe squats and presses are enough for a first session)

I don't think 1 set of each leg ext and leg curl is enough to warm-up, even with 20 reps. Maybe 2-3 sets?

The weights that you've chosen for squats and leg press. Have you assessed his strength, is he capable of that loading?

I'd go more by feel and see how strong he is before prescribing weights.

Pyramiding up and down and drop sets may be a bit too much more a newbie.

Depend on how advenced are your clients, if the client a beginer than that is not the best approach.

Client has been lifting for around 3 months, and has done some leg training.

I will get him on the stationary bike for 5 minutes to warm up his joints, and do 2-3 sets of extensions.

Im going to cut out the drop sets, and just pyramid up with the squats for 5 sets.untill he get's to around 55kg for the final set.

Just concentrate on improving his squat strength with some accessory work for hams and calves.

Once he can squat 2xbw then he can play around with volume routines.

Just concentrate on improving his squat strength with some accessory work for hams and calves.

Once he can squat 2xbw then he can play around with volume routines.

Sounds like a good idea, ill have him doing a quite a few sets of squats, but i dont want him to ache so bad that he never comes back, but i also dont want him to think it was a pussy ass session and that im a shite Personal trainer.

If I were your client I'd be a little bit nervous to know that you were asking questions like this on a forum to decide how to train me. You should have a decent understanding of this stuff to even call yourself a trainer. And I'm not talking out my ass, I've been working in the field on and off for almost 15 years.

IMO 3 months of training does not call for drop sets and sets of 6 reps. Just begging for an injury. Remember you are closer to training Lance Bass than Lance Armstrong. Don't get to advanced to soon.

Sounds like a good idea, ill have him doing a quite a few sets of squats, but i dont want him to ache so bad that he never comes back, but i also dont want him to think it was a pussy ass session and that im a shite Personal trainer.

Chances are his recovery is dog shit as he only been training 3 months.

3x per week full body routine or 2x per week upper lower split. Splitting body parts is silly as I doubt he will be wanting to pay you 4-5x per week unless youre undercutting your prices a lot.

He still a noob. Just focus on strength progression, log all his sessions set strength goals so he can see his progression.

Where you will come in most handy is his diet. Honestly you could train him 1 hour a day balls to the wall intensity and with a poor diet he will still look terrible. I get most of my clients in shape with the diet. The training is more just something they don't wanna worry bout and can just turn up and go.

If I were your client I'd be a little bit nervous to know that you were asking questions like this on a forum to decide how to train me. You should have a decent understanding of this stuff to even call yourself a trainer. And I'm not talking out my ass, I've been working in the field on and off for almost 15 years.

It's his FIRST client, give the guy a break. It's not like he's a seasoned veteran asking these questions or some self proclaimed guru. You're statement is like suggesting a kid right out of college with (name degree) will come out and know how to do his job 100% out of the gate. He'll learn as he goes, that's how you get better at your job.

At least he didn't put this guy through the workout then come here wondering why he got injured or some shit.

Personally with my clients on legs i like to build up some strength and body control before we get in the squat rack. I find that allowing them to build strength on the leg press and using accessory movements allows them to learn their body better and thus allows them to keep their body in correct position once we do start squatting. This is of course for very starter or deconditioned clients. Some may agree with this approach some may not but it works for me and my clients have been more than happy with results.

As a fellow personal trainer, I'll give my 2 cents... a #1 priority for beginner is neurological adoptation, not a tissue building, which will allow one to 1)train injury free and 2)get stronger. you can't put a beginer into specialized split with many different exercises and sets x reps, and def not intensity techniqus like drop sets, that'll end up in terrible DOMS which they wont be ready for and may give false impression of you not knowing what you're doing. just like learning how to use chopstick for the first time, one needs to rehearse and need to rehearse often. also the selection of exercises ar important. a beginner will lack the athletism or pain tolerance to squat properly. a better approach will be a circuit of:
1. adductor/abductor 20 reps each
2. leg ext/curl 20 reps each
3. leg press 20 reps
4. floor bridge 20 reps
5-12. upper body exercises

do these 3 x week and gradually add resistance on everything. after few weeks, you can introduce bodyweight bench squat and progress into regular squat.

My mistake in beginning years of personal training was not realizing that people that out of shape really existed(those who lose balance while putting on their shoes).

My mistake in beginning years of personal training was not realizing that people that out of shape really existed(those who lose balance while putting on their shoes).

LOLOL, I still do that occasionally...shit!

Squats or leg press but not both. First workout for squats should be empty bar for 1 set followed by 1 set of a weight he can do easily for 15 reps. This will keep DOMS to a minimum and also keep him from hating squats for the rest of his life. Leg extensions and leg curls for 1 set of 20 each is a good warm up. Keep it simple and basic. No lunges or hacks or any fancy accesory leg exercises are needed. Throw in some calves at the end and you're good to go. Work these basics and over a few weeks you can get up to 3-4 working sets of each and have a happy client.

So I went through the session this evening, he enjoyed it and wants me to train him this Friday and plan a shoulder session with him.

I didn't get him to do lunges, just 2 sets of leg extensions, 2 sets of leg curls, 3 sets of squats, 3 sets of leg press and 3 sets of seated calve raises. I was concentrating on getting his form right through the exercises. His squats were remarkably good for someone who has not squatted much.

He has been lifting for 9 months not 3, i didn't hear him right over the phone.

So I went through the session this evening, he enjoyed it and wants me to train him this Friday and plan a shoulder session with him.

I didn't get him to do lunges, just 2 sets of leg extensions, 2 sets of leg curls, 3 sets of squats, 3 sets of leg press and 3 sets of seated calve raises. I was concentrating on getting his form right through the exercises. His squats were remarkably good for someone who has not squatted much.

He has been lifting for 9 months not 3, i didn't hear him right over the phone.

Good to hear man. I'd even shoot him an email tomorrow and see how he's feeling. If he's sore, reccomend some shit to help him out and let him know it's typical etc. Keep him feeling as if he's your #1 client...bc right now he is and bc word of mouth is too important for you as a trainer right now trying to build a solid clientel.

Leg Workout

Superset
One-Leg Squats 3 sets 20 reps per leg
Leg press 3 sets 20 reps
Plank 3 sets 60 seconds

Superset
Leg extention 3 sets 20 reps
leg curls 3 sets 20 reps
sit ups on stability ball 3 sets 20 reps

Superset
lunges 2 sets
calf raises 2 sets 30 reps

Who is letting you train them???just joking lmao. Looks like a nice leg workout.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131