advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Little Worried... Tendon Strength not enough????

TooPowerful4u

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
This time around "bulking" my strength has increased more than ever before. The problem is.... my tendons hurt. I feel as if they are not keeping up strength wise with my muscles. My muscles are getting way too strong for my tendons. Now before you ask... YES... i am using certain things that promote collagen synthesis... yet it still seems not enough.

Main problems in biceps, quads, and hams. I feel like i can curl a TON yet i stick with ez curl bar with 35s for like 20-25 reps becuase of the pain. Even today... doin hack squats full reps with 5 plates felt STUPID light (like 20 reps not too much trouble)... yet i felt alot of pain in my right tendon that connects my lateralis (sweep) and i feared if i went any heavier it would snap. I could have definatly gone to 7 plates for 8 rep range but didnt wanna get hurt. This problem is slowing me down now. Any thoughts?

Just one thought. How long has it been since you had a couple weeks (not days) off from training?

maybe start using Aflutops or adequan? just a thought

OuchThatHurts said:
Just one thought. How long has it been since you had a couple weeks (not days) off from training?

Thats a good suggestion.

A couple of other things to consider:

1) how is your mobility, both muscle and joint wise in those areas?

2) Are you balancing your training or are you exacerbating an imbalance by not changing movements, not manipulating volume, not manipulating intensity, ignoring neglected opposing muscle groups, etc?

3) Are you utilizing restorative measures like soft tissue release, adequate warmup sets, mobility and activation work, some stretching for tight areas?

4) Are you resting enough (as Ouch asked)?

Ask yourself those questions, look at your routine, and reevaluate.

I have to agree with OTH. TP4U, I think you may need just a little break or stay with training the areas you can train. Injuries are just part of this game which you know. In some ways, I kind of know what your going through. Even as a natty, I have had tendon injuries and even a complete rupture which is absolutely no fun at all. A rupture will set you back about a year if not more. So what's 3-4 weeks of rest? Supposedly there are some methods to help increase tendon strength, but I have no experience with it. It wouldn't help you in your current situation anyway. Tendons often have very little blood flow so when you have a tear or minor tear it takes longer to heal. Personally, I would change exercises to whataver doesn't cause you pain for 3-4 weeks. Then start back with your favorite exercises and go light.

i havent had a full week off from training in almost a year. I did however JUST have 4-5 days off in a row from going to the Olympia and didnt train legs in a 10 day span. I figured my muscular strength was just increasing too rapidly for my tendons.

TooPowerful4u said:
i havent had a full week off from training in almost a year. I did however JUST have 4-5 days off in a row from going to the Olympia and didnt train legs in a 10 day span. I figured my muscular strength was just increasing too rapidly for my tendons.

So if youve rested, then you have to look at the other variables. It could very well be that your strength is increasing too fast for your tendons, and in that case I would take joint supplements, keep the intensity at tolerable levels, and use heat on the joints that hurt to promote more bloodflow into those areas. Linaments during lifting will help, things like Blue Heat or Red Heat will go a long way. You could also use knee and elbow sleeves to keep your joints warm.

Its not the joints or the ligs tho, i KNOW its the tendons. I can FEEL it. I literally can feel the tendon on my sweep and it hurts when i do any quad movements. Not like ALOT of pain but like sore almost. How would heat help with tendon strength? I dont wanna use a load of weight that my muscles easily handle, but my tendons cant so they snap :eek:

Switch to a totally different type of training for a while. Go extremely light on the weights and start putting in some plyometrics. Do some agility and speed training. You'll be surprised how your body responds. You shouldn't really drop any muscle if you're eating enough and it will improve your joint and tendon health. What you're experiencing are overuse injuries coming from doing the same shit all the time. Do something different and cause a new adaptive response.

BigBoyJ said:
Switch to a totally different type of training for a while. Go extremely light on the weights and start putting in some plyometrics. Do some agility and speed training. You'll be surprised how your body responds. You shouldn't really drop any muscle if you're eating enough and it will improve your joint and tendon health. What you're experiencing are overuse injuries coming from doing the same shit all the time. Do something different and cause a new adaptive response.

I honestly know nothing about any of that. Nothing, id be like a newbie. All i know is heavy and hard, wether it be 50 HARD reps or 6 HARD reps. I only know... all out.... im "on" and tryin to grow and my strength is shootin up, im growin great.... n this HAS to slow me down. Grr.... its halting more great gains to come.. what can i do to increase tendon strength more rapidly?

You could try some heavy partial movements with the weight that you said you would be using if you were healthy. Benches in the power rack, top deads, half squats, etc. Just slowly increase your range of motion as soon as that movement feels pain free.

That would give your tendons a chance to strengthen with the heavier weight without putting them through the full range of motion. I think you're most likely to get a tear in the stretched (or bottom of the movement). Just don't get carried away! Literally or figuratively.

Also, what others have said about stretching while you're still pumped and getting deep tissue massage and ART are absolutely necessary to get beyond what you are currently experiencing. If you don't get the tendon more pliable, it will just get worse, unfortunately. Gotta break up any old scar tissue you might have.

Hope this helps... we've all been there.

rch

thanx everyone great advice.... im definatly gonna follow all of it and see how it goes!

TooPowerful4u said:
Its not the joints or the ligs tho, i KNOW its the tendons. I can FEEL it. I literally can feel the tendon on my sweep and it hurts when i do any quad movements. Not like ALOT of pain but like sore almost. How would heat help with tendon strength?

Heat would promote blood flow into that area and promote lubrication and greater restoration at rest => less pain.

Someone suggested heavy partials, and that is ok but if your muscles are too strong, they will dominate so you wont get the effect youre looking for. I would go more with lighter weights and higher reps to promote blood flow into the tendon and give it a chance to catch up.

ART wouldnt hurt, you may have some scar tissue or surrounding fascia thats inhibiting movement.

TP4U....YES....TELL ME DOES IT FEEL LIKE YOU ARE...

....ONE BAD REP AWAY FROM A SERIOUS TRAIN WRECK?

YEP, BEEN THERE....THAT SHIT SUCKS. LITTLE DISTURBING TWINGES, PAIN...LIKE WHEN YOU ARE DOING LYING TRICEPS EXTENSIONS [POPULARLY KNOWN AS SKULLCRUSHERS..] YOU MIGHT BE DOING JUST THE 45'S ON EACH SIDE ALL CAREFUL...WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE YOU COULD JUST THROW ANOTHER 45 POUND PLATE ON EACH SIDE....BUT YOU DON'T DARE...BECAUSE OF THAT SHARP LITTLE TWINGE IN RIGHT WHERE YOUR TRICEP INSERTS THAT'S SAYING DO IT 'FOCKER' AND YOU'LL WISH YOU HADN'T?!!
:)

JT, I don't know if you remember when I was all wiped out and spent. I'd been on a power routine and a cycle for some time. I was completely wiped out. Muscle contraction was as good as ever but everything was hurting me. My biceps at the elbows from deads, my hip sockets, the attachment below my medialis on both sides and the right side lateralus just above the outside of the knee, and my calves at the femur. All from squats and deads.

Two weeks off, I slept 10 hours a night. Good as new. Even better.

JETHRO TULL said:
....ONE BAD REP AWAY FROM A SERIOUS TRAIN WRECK?

YEP, BEEN THERE....THAT SHIT SUCKS. LITTLE DISTURBING TWINGES, PAIN...LIKE WHEN YOU ARE DOING LYING TRICEPS EXTENSIONS [POPULARLY KNOWN AS SKULLCRUSHERS..] YOU MIGHT BE DOING JUST THE 45'S ON EACH SIDE ALL CAREFUL...WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE YOU COULD JUST THROW ANOTHER 45 POUND PLATE ON EACH SIDE....BUT YOU DON'T DARE...BECAUSE OF THAT SHARP LITTLE TWINGE IN RIGHT WHERE YOUR TRICEP INSERTS THAT'S SAYING DO IT 'FOCKER' AND YOU'LL WISH YOU HADN'T?!!
:)

You hit that nail square on the head.

TooPowerful4u said:

Take a break sparky! This is the first sign to a tear. Week to 10 days and you will be surprised how good you feel.

OUCH THAT FRICKIN' HURTS!

OuchThatHurts said:
JT, I don't know if you remember when I was all wiped out and spent. I'd been on a power routine and a cycle for some time. I was completely wiped out. Muscle contraction was as good as ever but everything was hurting me. My biceps at the elbows from deads, my hip sockets, the attachment below my medialis on both sides and the right side lateralus just above the outside of the knee, and my calves at the femur. All from squats and deads.

Two weeks off, I slept 10 hours a night. Good as new. Even better.
ACTUALLY I DO REMEMBER WHEN YOU POSTED ABOUT THAT SITUATION.....NOW IT'S TP4U'S SITUATION. I AM OFTEN TOO FIRED UP AND ABUSE MY DARN BODY FOR TOO LONG. IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAPPENS TO MANY OF US WHO TRAIN HARD. MAYBE TOO HARD. I AM ALWAYS AM THINKING...'TRAIN SMART, NOT JUST TRAIN HARD' ...BUT IGNORE THOSE THOUGHTS MOST OF THE TIME...THEN I FEEL ALL CRIPPLED AND SH*T! LOL...:)

TOOPOWERFUL4YOU....I AM CURIOUS TO FIND OUT...

Magnum said:
Take a break sparky! This is the first sign to a tear. Week to 10 days and you will be surprised how good you feel.

WHAT YOU HAVE DECIDED TO DO....MAGNUM HERE JUST GAVE YOU SOME ADVICE THAT LOOKS LIKE THE INTELLIGENT THING TO DO.

THAT BEING SAID.....I WONDER IF I'D DO IT! LOL......

IT'S PRETTY TOUGH TO BACK OFF RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF 'SUPPLEMENTATION'.......I JUST HOPE YOU DON'T GET HURT. THAT PUTS A BIG BIG HALT IN A FELLAS PROGRESS.

LET US KNOW WHAT YOU DECIDED TO DO. ;)

Last edited:
Im friggen feelin it. Damn just when i was making progress better than ever! You know... im going through something right now with a female.... and she needs time(so she cant hang out with me this week)... and im emotionally feelin it a lil cuz i miss her... the gym is my only sanctuary iv ever had when i need to get away from life. I would gladly take this week off but not only am i making great gains, but it keeps my emotions out of the gutter. I NEED the gym. Im going to hope i make it through the week workout wise and im going to be very careful..... and hopefully she gets her feelings straight.... and i can spend alot of time with her and take a week off the gym n rest.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear