over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Marius Dohne- stage 5 kidney failure dialysis

Since Flex saw what Levrone did and now wants to make a comeback for one show, I can only hope he is using the information he has at his disposal as far as trying to stay healthy goes. Let's remember the level of knowledge from a health standpoint was far inferior back in his heyday, especially without the internet and all these scientific journals at his disposal.

this was posted by Jeff Sygo on MD

"I wish him the best and hope he finds a donor. For all the people ripping on him a majority of people competing are taking a certain amount of risk. Not sure why people in this sport will push it way beyond safe limits? I have a IFBB Pro friend of mine who is well known in the sport who was prepping for his 2nd show of the year awhile back and wanted to know if I thought it was a bad sign that he was pissing blood and did I think he should pull out of the show. I told him to shut it down for the year and go see his doctor immediately, but he did the show and said it went away after a few weeks and didn't worry about it. Think guys feel like their a quitter if they don't keep pushing for shows or something. ."

honestly.. reading this kinda shit, and hearing about Dohne and Flex..

I remember reading Mike Matarazzo would be in his hotel room before a show doing all kinds of crazy drug shit to try to peak and be wondering 'wtf am I doing to myself'..

it's really not surprising that so many of these guys end up dying.

in an interview, Dohne said his doctor asked him if he

1. used a lot of NSADS
2. ate a lot of protein
3. had a family history of kidney failure

and Dohne said yes to all... and kept up the abuse.

someone with such disregard for his health probably wasn't checking his BP very frequently either..

EDIT: George Farah also said that Dohne said he was born with kidney issues.. he worked with Dohne a few years back, so I believe him

EDIT: Dohne reached kidney failure, and then did like 6 more shows...

Last edited:
this was posted by Jeff Sygo on MD

"I wish him the best and hope he finds a donor. For all the people ripping on him a majority of people competing are taking a certain amount of risk. Not sure why people in this sport will push it way beyond safe limits? I have a IFBB Pro friend of mine who is well known in the sport who was prepping for his 2nd show of the year awhile back and wanted to know if I thought it was a bad sign that he was pissing blood and did I think he should pull out of the show. I told him to shut it down for the year and go see his doctor immediately, but he did the show and said it went away after a few weeks and didn't worry about it. Think guys feel like their a quitter if they don't keep pushing for shows or something. ."

honestly.. reading this kinda shit, and hearing about Dohne and Flex..

I remember reading Mike Matarazzo would be in his hotel room before a show doing all kinds of crazy drug shit to try to peak and be wondering 'wtf am I doing to myself'..

it's really not surprising that so many of these guys end up dying.

in an interview, Dohne said his doctor asked him if he

1. used a lot of NSADS
2. ate a lot of protein
3. had a family history of kidney failure

and Dohne said yes to all... and kept up the abuse.

someone with such disregard for his health probably wasn't checking his BP very frequently either..

EDIT: George Farah also said that Dohne said he was born with kidney issues.. he worked with Dohne a few years back, so I believe him

EDIT: Dohne reached kidney failure, and then did like 6 more shows...

That post by sygo makes bbers sound even more retarded than we already know they are. He is basically saying "don't blame dohne for making a totally retarded decision because others are being 10X more retarded".

That post just reads so poor lol by him.

I've seen a lot of sick people over the last 25 years. I'm trying to remember who I've seen with CKD, or more specifically CKD requiring dialysis, without comorbid hypertension or a genetic pathology. I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm just saying I'm having trouble thinking of that person right now. Maybe I've never seen it, which is my point. This includes bodybuilders I've met or known on some personal level like Don Long (HTN, diuretics), Beau Baisden (HTN, diuretics, partying in Vegas :headbang:), Tom Prince (NSAIDs + HTN + diuretics), Flex Wheeler (HTN + diuretics), Dan Duchaine (polycystic kidney disease), Mike Morris (HTN, diuretics) and regular run of the mill people I've treated in the old charity hospital system in South Louisiana to the most privileged at Cedars Sinai. They all have HTN = hypertension usually coupled with something else. NSAID abuse, diuretic abuse, cocaine abuse, all of the above, etc.

My point is, monitor your BP yourself at home regularly with a reliable cuff and keep in check. Risk begins over 115 systolic. If you have some measure of CAD already this may to be too low for you and you would aim higher, 120-130. Don't do stupid shit like take 3 grams of ibuprofen per day (Prince) or snort an 8 ball of coke in a night the weekend of the O (Beau) on top of your untreated hypertension (all of them). Avoid loop diuretics like Lasix and Demedex (Chad Nicholls' choice - Prince, Flex). Use Aldactone sparingly pre contest only as needed if you must use a diuretic. Do not use it to look better for guest posing or Vegas pool parties like I've known a lot these guys to do. If you are a water logged fuck you're probably fat anyway. How many water logged fucks have you known that shoot Lasix or take Demedex come in shredded and win the show as a result? Almost never happens. I'm not saying it can't, I'm just saying I'm having trouble thinking of that person right now.

Avoid any and all of that and you will have a hard time convincing me that you have to worry about the direct affect of androgens on the kidneys aka androgenic nephrotoxicity. Show me a guy with a BP of 106/65 for example with CKD. It will be very diifficult to find this person.

Rex.

They all abused steroids as well.

That post by sygo makes bbers sound even more retarded than we already know they are. He is basically saying "don't blame dohne for making a totally retarded decision because others are being 10X more retarded".

That post just reads so poor lol by him.

that's not now I read it at all..

I read it as "Marius isn't alone in doing this crazy shit.. my friend did some crazy shit too.. some of these people are fucking nuts."

that's my interpretation

stage 5?! holy shit... one of the most depressing diseases to watch anyone go through.

Since Flex saw what Levrone did and now wants to make a comeback for one show, I can only hope he is using the information he has at his disposal as far as trying to stay healthy goes. Let's remember the level of knowledge from a health standpoint was far inferior back in his heyday, especially without the internet and all these scientific journals at his disposal.

levrone made a fool of himself IMO. no 50 plus year old man can successfully compete against late 20 and early 30 olympian pros in their prime, but at least kevin had 2 healthy kidneys and wasn't trying to commit suicide by contest prep like Flex seems to be.

These guys never know when to quit.

levrone made a fool of himself IMO. no 50 plus year old man can successfully compete against late 20 and early 30 olympian pros in their prime, but at least kevin had 2 healthy kidneys and wasn't trying to commit suicide by contest prep like Flex seems to be.

These guys never know when to quit.

Oddly enough I have the same disease (FSGS) and creatinine level as Flex post transplant (2.2-2.5). My kidney disease has always been present, as I had a 1.8 creatinine level at 17 years old. I neglected to get another blood test for 12 years.

His kidney levels arent probably quite as bad as they seem. Because of the higher amount of muscle mass, my doctors ran a test for Cystatin C, which is a better marker for actual kidney function. My adjusted GFR went from 24 (very bad) to 46 (stage 3a). Which means Flex, and myself are still considered "kidney cripples". That being said, not a single nephrologist would clear him for competition. The stress your kidney endures just working out hard, can further damage the kidneys. Let alone, that fat and lean tissue loss. I guess what I am trying to say is, while being in stage 3 kidney failures isnt as bad as it sounds, in no way, shape or form would competing (even naturally) be healthy for someone with kidney disease. I dont think he will go into straight kidney failure, but he is definitely shortening the life of the transplanted kidney. Possibly his as well. The 5 year mortality rate on dialysis is 50%.

Oddly enough I have the same disease (FSGS) and creatinine level as Flex post transplant (2.2-2.5). My kidney disease has always been present, as I had a 1.8 creatinine level at 17 years old. I neglected to get another blood test for 12 years.

His kidney levels arent probably quite as bad as they seem. Because of the higher amount of muscle mass, my doctors ran a test for Cystatin C, which is a better marker for actual kidney function. My adjusted GFR went from 24 (very bad) to 46 (stage 3a). Which means Flex, and myself are still considered "kidney cripples". That being said, not a single nephrologist would clear him for competition. The stress your kidney endures just working out hard, can further damage the kidneys. Let alone, that fat and lean tissue loss. I guess what I am trying to say is, while being in stage 3 kidney failures isnt as bad as it sounds, in no way, shape or form would competing (even naturally) be healthy for someone with kidney disease. I dont think he will go into straight kidney failure, but he is definitely shortening the life of the transplanted kidney. Possibly his as well. The 5 year mortality rate on dialysis is 50%.

indeed..

flex was leaking protein before he even touched a weight

indeed..

flex was leaking protein before he even touched a weight

my theory is bodybuilder's diagnosed with FSGS may have had a genetic disadvantage when it comes to kidney health, but the disease only manifests itself with a combination of diuretic abuse (especially loop diuretics) and oral steroid abuse. Everything I have read and heard about Flex seems to indicate this, as well as Don Long, and I know for a fact this was the case for me.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear