over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Matt Porter or Cris Edmonds as a coach

Kineticmacks

Newbies
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had experience with either coach and would recommend either of them if you’ve had experience what is their style like?

I know competitors who have worked with both. I actually was going to hit up Cris for this last prep (as he is a Mountain Dog coach) but ended up grabbing Andrew Berry instead—and btw, Andrew is great.

I think Matt has had more successful client than Cris has...but I also know guys who have worked with Matt and he diets harddddd. Dude is meticulous with cardio and diet. Not saying that's a bad thing OR a good thing. Both very good choices IMO.

Thanks man! Yeah from what I see both guys are pretty darn good so I think either way it will be a win

I know competitors who have worked with both. I actually was going to hit up Cris for this last prep (as he is a Mountain Dog coach) but ended up grabbing Andrew Berry instead—and btw, Andrew is great.

I think Matt has had more successful client than Cris has...but I also know guys who have worked with Matt and he diets harddddd. Dude is meticulous with cardio and diet. Not saying that's a bad thing OR a good thing. Both very good choices IMO.

I see Andrew Berry is much more reasonable in terms of pricing than the other guys. What style does he employ if you don’t mind me asking

I dont know Chris Edmonds but Porter rips the fucking skin off of guys and brings virtually everyone in shredded....you want to come in peeled and make a statement....Porter is the guy......both Shelby Starnes and Matt Porter......those two guys track records speak for themselves.

I dont know Chris Edmonds but Porter rips the fucking skin off of guys and brings virtually everyone in shredded....you want to come in peeled and make a statement....Porter is the guy......both Shelby Starnes and Matt Porter......those two guys track records speak for themselves.[/QUOTE

DC!! Hey man, I’ve been working with Shelby for a while but broke my arm so I’m out for a little bit. He’s straying away from male competitive bodybuilders so I was looking to make a switch. I’d love to stay with him but I don’t think that he is going to be coaching males for very much longer. You’re right though he gets people looking inside out, especially females which from what I hear is much harder.

DC!! Hey man, I’ve been working with Shelby for a while but broke my arm so I’m out for a little bit. He’s straying away from male competitive bodybuilders so I was looking to make a switch.

Ive read that on here before. Im curious as to why a coach would only work with females. Does anyone know why?

Ive read that on here before. Im curious as to why a coach would only work with females. Does anyone know why?

To be honest I’m not quite sure, maybe he just wants to semi-retire and feels that working with women is what he enjoys the most.

He kinda figured out a winning fornula.. knows where his notch is.. so to speak..

He kinda figured out a winning fornula.. knows where his notch is.. so to speak..

Im thinking it might be better in the respect that most women probably follow instructions better than guys. A lot of guys probably tend to constantly question certain decisions. I remember reading an article about a guy in the military that trained cadets how to shoot and he said that the women were easier to train and scored higher than many of the guys. They would listen carefully to his suggestions and follow them.

Yeah man, contrary to popular belief women can really put the hammer down quite a bit better than most men in prep.

Dude is meticulous with cardio and diet.

how could someone consider themselves a coach worth a damn if they are not meticulous about their competitors training and diets?

I see Andrew Berry is much more reasonable in terms of pricing than the other guys. What style does he employ if you don’t mind me asking

Andrew was great. If you are familiar with MD principles, you'll love him. I mean Andrew does MOST of the "In the Trenches" sections on the MD site. Mixed macros, MD style training, intra workout protocols. He's great and he's getting much more popular now.

how could someone consider themselves a coach worth a damn if they are not meticulous about their competitors training and diets?

you must've not read the sentence above saying not a good thing or a bad thing.
What I meant was that Matt will make you weigh our your ketchup, your mustard, etc while other coaches might not worry about such small things. Once again, just trying to give him some stuff to work off of

What I meant was that Matt will make you weigh our your ketchup, your mustard, etc while other coaches might not worry about such small things. Once again, just trying to give him some stuff to work off of

I did read it, but same thought still exists
I would never give rope to allow for a competitor to hang themselves
I weigh and measure everything for me, why wouldnt i expect the same
why wouldnt every coach is all Im saying?

I would say each guy probably has his own style and good or bad sometimes certain guys just can’t deal with being that meticulous but can be pushed in other ways that could potentially make up for things such as weighing out your condiments.

End of the day, each one of those coaches is putting out some bad ass clients and I think that obviously the guys that aren’t getting work kind of weed themselves out.

You're asking why a coach would or wouldn't be meticulous about things such as diet sodas, crystal light, the carbs in gum, sugars in ketchup, etc?
The answer is I don't know... Some coaches are anal, some aren't. Yet these dudes STILL get great clients and great results. :confused:

Maybe some coach have a mindset of, "dont sweat the small things." If you're 95% there, you've accomplished so much. No unnecessary stress or cortisol because of this.
While others are searching for that 0.005% to push them ahead. Not sure. But both ways have their pros and cons.

Last edited:
I would say each guy probably has his own style and good or bad sometimes certain guys just can’t deal with being that meticulous but can be pushed in other ways that could potentially make up for things such as weighing out your condiments.

You're asking why a coach would or wouldn't be meticulous about things such as diet sodas, crystal light, the carbs in gum, sugars in ketchup, etc?

maybe this is just semantics or too vague a definition of what meticulous means to each of us
based on what you said earlier, "meticulous about diet and cardio",

its not just about mustard and ketchup, even though it is relevant. that isnt what im saying at all
of course there are other ways to push, but if youre not meticulous, how would you know what variable to adjust or "push"
IMO and my experiences, leaving anything to chance isnt professional

Andrew was great. If you are familiar with MD principles, you'll love him. I mean Andrew does MOST of the "In the Trenches" sections on the MD site. Mixed macros, MD style training, intra workout protocols. He's great and he's getting much more popular now.

Andrew plans very basic... high anti estrogens far out from shows. Seems to bring his top level guys in good. Slowly pulls carbs/adds cardio so nothing magical. I like Porter or Jason Theobald both have more knowledge nutrition than anyone mentioned

Last edited:
No idea what his coaching skills are BUT I've seen Porter at the gym here in Vegas a bunch of times and he appears really approachable and kind.
What bearing that has on a guy trying to win a contest ...I dunno.

Andrew plans very basic... high anti estrogens far out from shows. Seems to bring his top level guys in good. Slowly pulls carbs/adds cardio so nothing magical. I like Porter or Jason Theobald both have more knowledge nutrition than anyone mentioned

I agree. Andrew didn't do anything magical to me. Slowly pulled cals and carbs. Slowly increased cardio. That's it.

Nowadays choosing a coach is all about what you feel comfortable with. If you want a dude known for drug protocols, you can find him. If you want a reliable, well rounded expensive guy, you can find him. I agree on Matt and Jason though. Both are in the top tier of respected coaches out today.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear