over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Max protein in a meal…

Nike22

Registered
Newbies
I’m sure it’s different for everybody with everyone’s different metabolisms and all that. What’s the maximum amount of protein that you think the body can handle in one meal?

I ask because sometimes I get to the end of the day and realize I need something like 350+ g of chicken breast (cooked wt) to hit my daily protein macros.

Of course in a perfect world I’d eat more earlier in the day but hell, sometimes life happens and I gotta make up for it with my last meal. I’m wondering if over a certain amount it becomes a waste of food.

I'd say dividing it up is better but doesn't really matter. 350g is 12 oz put some seasoning on it that's a little snack.

the total daily protein intake is decisive.

Play with the amounts per meal, and see how your body reacts,

As much as you can reasonably digest.

there is no max, the body will use everything you give it...that said, some of the confusion stems from this...

it takes about 20g of protein to stimulate an adequate muscle protein synthetic response. That MPS response continues to increase up to about 40g of protein, but after that, it appears to level off and other is no increase in MPs with more than 40g. That does not mean the body does not use that protein, or those calories don't matter, it just means mps is not better. We also know that mPS levels off and begins to come down at about the 4hr mark. So setting up a diet of 4 meals with approximately 40g of protein spread about 4 hours apart each is a fantastic baseline. From there you can up the protein in each meal or other meals, but you won't see a better ROI in terms of MPS. You will still utilize those proteins, but there is not necessarily any added benefit to their addition or timing.

We also have data that suggest consuming EAA's around the cock in an attempt to keep MPS elevated indef actually has a negative response, so avoiding that would most certainly be the more ideal scenario if you can...

there is no max, the body will use everything you give it...that said, some of the confusion stems from this...

it takes about 20g of protein to stimulate an adequate muscle protein synthetic response. That MPS response continues to increase up to about 40g of protein, but after that, it appears to level off and other is no increase in MPs with more than 40g. That does not mean the body does not use that protein, or those calories don't matter, it just means mps is not better. We also know that mPS levels off and begins to come down at about the 4hr mark. So setting up a diet of 4 meals with approximately 40g of protein spread about 4 hours apart each is a fantastic baseline. From there you can up the protein in each meal or other meals, but you won't see a better ROI in terms of MPS. You will still utilize those proteins, but there is not necessarily any added benefit to their addition or timing.

We also have data that suggest consuming EAA's around the cock in an attempt to keep MPS elevated indef actually has a negative response, so avoiding that would most certainly be the more ideal scenario if you can...
“Consuming EAA’s around the cock” PAUSE

other than that, fantastic post.

Not exactly

Protein synthesis was maximized by 50g protein in Layne Norton's study but that doesn't mean 50g is the maximum for every individual regardless of body size and composition

Furthermore synthesis is only one half of the equation. The other half is breakdown. Even if 50g maximally stimulated synthesis, greater amounts have additional positive effect on net balance due to decreasing breakdown

Also it appears from Layne Norton's studies that the synthesis response to meals is refractory and takes around 5 hours, not 4, for the body to "resensitize" so that synthesis can be maximally stimulated another time - which is probably why your study (if you indeed have one) showed that constant feeding of EAAs was a negative influence

How is there a maximum of protein you can utilize but then cabs/fats do NOT have a theoretical maximum?

I can only "use" 50g of protein in a meal every 2 hours BUT I can eat 1000g of sugar and that will all be utilized? If I eat 4 big macs in a sitting the extra protein is ignored/not utilized yet my body will absorb all the carbs and fat?

There actually seems to be a 'refractory period' of Muscle Protein Synthesis where its rate drops back to baseline around two-three hours after a protein containing meal even when blood amino acids level remains elevated. This suggests that consuming protein meals too close together would be kind of pointless hence why you might have heard that they need to be spaced out by at least 3 hours. BUT and it's a big but....MPS rates stay elevated MUCH longer (days) after resistance training. So this refractory period only seems relevant for people who don't train (or if you haven't trained in a few days) where MPS is elevated from the protein intake rather than being elevated from the protein intake AND the training. This essentially suggests meal timing probably isn't quite as important as generally believed.

Also worth noting: given that muscular development is a function of the dynamic balance between MPS and muscle protein breakdown (MPB), both of these variables must be considered in any discussion on dietary protein dosage. Results from studies using up to 70 grams of protein per meal showed that the higher protein intake promoted a significantly greater whole-body anabolic response, which was primarily attributed to a greater attenuation of protein breakdown, not just an acute effect on MPS.

How is there a maximum of protein you can utilize but then cabs/fats do NOT have a theoretical maximum?

I can only "use" 50g of protein in a meal every 2 hours BUT I can eat 1000g of sugar and that will all be utilized? If I eat 4 big macs in a sitting the extra protein is ignored/not utilized yet my body will absorb all the carbs and fat?
I feel like you didn’t read any of the above information.

By “used” we are referring to MPS…but technically you can use 100g or more at any meal. The research just shows that MPS is not “turned on” any further at higher protein levels. So yes, all the additional protein still will be used as calories and work in your diet, but each protein meal essentially turns on a switch at about 40-50g and going up to 80g doesn’t turn the switch on any better.

There actually seems to be a 'refractory period' of Muscle Protein Synthesis where its rate drops back to baseline around two-three hours after a protein containing meal even when blood amino acids level remains elevated. This suggests that consuming protein meals too close together would be kind of pointless hence why you might have heard that they need to be spaced out by at least 3 hours. BUT and it's a big but....MPS rates stay elevated MUCH longer (days) after resistance training. So this refractory period only seems relevant for people who don't train (or if you haven't trained in a few days) where MPS is elevated from the protein intake rather than being elevated from the protein intake AND the training. This essentially suggests meal timing probably isn't quite as important as generally believed.
How would this affect intermittent fasting in your opinion? Say someone is cutting eating 300g per day. But they prefer 4 large meals in a 8 hour window vs 6 smaller meals for satiety purposes. Do you think there will be any difference in body composition if we assume the total calories and macros are the same, just a smaller feeding window?

How would this affect intermittent fasting in your opinion? Say someone is cutting eating 300g per day. But they prefer 4 large meals in a 8 hour window vs 6 smaller meals for satiety purposes. Do you think there will be any difference in body composition if we assume the total calories and macros are the same, just a smaller feeding window?
I don't want to offer any answer as I'm not aware of any study that used the specifics you mentioned (it may or may not have been performed, I just don't know) nor I know anyone who can compare a regular meals schedule vs IF using the same calories and macros. It'd be mere speculation on my part.

LOL Jesus Qb,
I love how when there’s any interesting thread with intelligent discussion, I can always count on you immediately focus a question solely on you rather than trying to figure things out for yourself thru trial & error. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I’ve never seen someone so caught up in the details that they forever fail to see the big picture.

LOL Jesus Qb,
I love how when there’s any interesting thread with intelligent discussion, I can always count on you immediately focus a question solely on you rather than trying to figure things out for yourself thru trial & error. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I’ve never seen someone so caught up in the details that they forever fail to see the big picture.
I was going to make this same post but I tried to hold back since we pile on him regularly, though it's always deserved.

Obsessing over stuff like this is why you've made no progress.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws