over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Max protein in a meal…

Here is an interesting study on this subject

How much protein can the body use in a single meal for muscle-building? Implications for daily protein distribution​

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5828430/

Here is the conclusion of the study

An important distinction needs to be made between acute meal challenges comparing different protein amounts (including serial feedings in the acute phase following resistance training) and chronic meal feedings comparing different protein distributions through the day, over the course of several weeks or months. Longitudinal studies examining body composition have not consistently corroborated the results of acute studies examining muscle protein flux. Quantifying a maximum amount of protein per meal that can be utilized for muscle anabolism has been a challenging pursuit due to the multitude of variables open for investigation. Perhaps the most comprehensive synthesis of findings in this area has been done by Morton et al. [2], who concluded that 0.4 g/kg/meal would optimally stimulate MPS. This was based on the addition of two standard deviations to their finding that 0.25 g/kg/meal maximally stimulates MPS in young men. In line with this hypothesis, Moore et al. [39] mentioned the caveat that their findings were estimated means for maximizing MPS, and that the dosing ceilings can be as high as ~ 0.60 g/kg for some older men and ~ 0.40 g/kg for some younger men. Importantly, these estimates are based on the sole provision of a rapidly digesting protein source that would conceivably increase potential for oxidation of AA when consumed in larger boluses. It seems logical that a slower-acting protein source, particularly when consumed in combination with other macronutrients, would delay absorption and thus enhance the utilization of the constituent AA. However, the practical implications of this phenomenon remain speculative and questionable [21].

The collective body of evidence indicates that total daily protein intake for the goal of maximizing resistance training-induced gains in muscle mass and strength is approximately 1.6 g/kg, at least in non-dieting (eucaloric or hypercaloric) conditions [6]. However, 1.6 g/kg/day should not be viewed as an ironclad or universal limit beyond which protein intake will be either wasted or used for physiological demands aside from muscle growth. A recent meta-analysis on protein supplementation involving resistance trainees reported an upper 95% confidence interval (CI) of 2.2 g/kg/day [6]. Bandegan et al. [7] also showed an upper CI of 2.2 g/kg/day in a cohort of young male bodybuilders, although the method of assessment (indicator amino acid oxidation technique) used in this study has not received universal acceptance for determining optimal protein requirements. This reinforces the practical need to individualize dietary programming, and remain open to exceeding estimated averages. It is therefore a relatively simple and elegant solution to consume protein at a target intake of 0.4 g/kg/meal across a minimum of four meals in order to reach a minimum of 1.6 g/kg/day – if indeed the primary goal is to build muscle. Using the upper CI daily intake of 2.2 g/kg/day over the same four meals would necessitate a maximum of 0.55 g/kg/meal. This tactic would apply what is currently known to maximize acute anabolic responses as well as chronic anabolic adaptations. While research shows that consumption of higher protein doses (> 20 g) results in greater AA oxidation [40], evidence indicates that this is not the fate for all the additional ingested AAs as some are utilized for tissue-building purposes. Further research is nevertheless needed to quantify a specific upper threshold for per-meal protein intake.

I agree that there is no maximum amount per meal. I do aim for 30-50 per meal and typically eat 5 meals a day.

WTF....this whole time I thought I could only absorb like 12.5-15.3g of protein per meal:mad:

Lmao remember the ol', DERP WE CAN ONLY ABSORB 30G OF PROTEIN AT A TIME DERP! 🥴🥴🥴🤣

After being trained by Patrick tour I continued with the “lower protein” around 175g-200g cooked weight and it was easy so I thought it was perfect

This year I’ve bumped it to 225, then to 250,275 and finally 300g. I saw benefits from every increase even with decreased carbs. Recovery is much better, I’m stronger in the gym, I’m less full but also don’t feel as sluggish. Except eating 300g cooked is shitty

Not saying do what I do, but I am saying try different methods and figure out for yourself what is optimal. Don’t listen to peoples opinions and let it sway you from trying things for yourself

I agree 100% only about fullness
After being trained by Patrick tour I continued with the “lower protein” around 175g-200g cooked weight and it was easy so I thought it was perfect

This year I’ve bumped it to 225, then to 250,275 and finally 300g. I saw benefits from every increase even with decreased carbs. Recovery is much better, I’m stronger in the gym, I’m less full but also don’t feel as sluggish. Except eating 300g cooked is shitty

Not saying do what I do, but I am saying try different methods and figure out for yourself what is optimal. Don’t listen to peoples opinions and let it sway you from trying things for yourself

I have the opposite - the more protein, the more full I am, even if I have less carbs

there is no max, the body will use everything you give it...that said, some of the confusion stems from this...

it takes about 20g of protein to stimulate an adequate muscle protein synthetic response. That MPS response continues to increase up to about 40g of protein, but after that, it appears to level off and other is no increase in MPs with more than 40g. That does not mean the body does not use that protein, or those calories don't matter, it just means mps is not better. We also know that mPS levels off and begins to come down at about the 4hr mark. So setting up a diet of 4 meals with approximately 40g of protein spread about 4 hours apart each is a fantastic baseline. From there you can up the protein in each meal or other meals, but you won't see a better ROI in terms of MPS. You will still utilize those proteins, but there is not necessarily any added benefit to their addition or timing.

We also have data that suggest consuming EAA's around the cock in an attempt to keep MPS elevated indef actually has a negative response, so avoiding that would most certainly be the more ideal scenario if you can...

Why forty grams protein four hours apart? Why not fifty or sixty two and a half or three hours apart?

We're talking about using anabolics and getting the most out of them. Say a goal is 350 gs a day , say 400, on a high anabolic mgs dose, with the goal of reducing body fat , when carbs are lower.

For a guy on trt, not going through a muscle building phase, can stretch four hours, but usually don't if can help it, like at work other day went four hours bc work was so busy.

Layne Norton supposedly has some research saying leucine levels ,whether it's taking in twenty grams protein, adding leucine , bcaas, or eaas, as long as leucine levels are high, you're anabolic . The time of the day leucine levels are best hhgh , obviously are intra and post training. And okay to take leucine with a meal, if one only gets say twenty or thirty grams protein

Last paragraph, Who's we?

I agree 100% only about fullness

I have the opposite - the more protein, the more full I am, even if I have less carbs
Do you mean full stomach wise or fullness muscle wise?

I believe it really comes down to how hard you train. If you’re someone who doesn’t train very hard I’m sure less protein is fine. But if your training hard recovery is the biggest thing

I used to think 200-250 protein was enough. Now I am eating 300-350 and it makes a huge difference.

Spot on, and deep down I know it too.... probably a form of OCD that we all have somwhat. I think a few years ago I started a thread "what little things do you worry about that don't matter" and listed some of mine. I do catch myself sometimes... today was delts day I didn't feel like I hit them hard enough so did some more work. In the past I'd be worrying "crap if I add any more sets I may risk overtraining " lol.
I think OCDP is more close than OCD. There is a quite big difference as OCD is egodystonic and OCDP is egosyntonic and part of personality. People confuse these two many times but there is a difference. Compulsions at OCDP are more what ego wants they are not like foreign intruders that is more part of OCD. Read about OCDP.

Anyway, regarding this topic, I am vaguely remembering some study that said leucine stimulates MPS even linearry to 20g or more. I know most studies I've come acros said ~4g is the max. Limit and after that MPS does not increase but has anyone heard about that 20g or more study?

Edit: And btw, OCDP is one of the most difficult to treat. How would you treat a bodybuilder? Maybe mushrooms?😅

ever since i got serious about eating healthier and hitting the weights hard, ive been really focused on my protien and carb intake. Like in the mornings ill eat a cup of rice and break an egg in it while its cooking. then add a chicken breast in it. every morning and every night. my body is tending to keep up so i dont pla on changing it. i know some people are different, which is why i try not go give advice on it. but some days i feel i do overload on protein. i also eat steak all the time.

Best gains I ever made (over a long period) were when I was doing DC training and eating 400 grams of protein every day. Post workout was a 100 gram protein shake and the last meal of the day was a pound of ground beef. So, I was getting 100 grams of protein all at once, twice a day. Unfortunately, I was natural. Probably would have gotten to 300 pounds doing that if I was enhanced back then. Now I would never be able to digest that.

Guys like Patrick T and Farah tend to use lower amounts of protein for the simple fact is if your taking in enough carbs and fats which are protein sparring then you can utilize more of the protein that you take in, the same reason in a diet phase when carbs and fats get low protein is kept very high as you don't have as much as the sparring effect due to reduced energy intake.

I just had over 150g protein in my last meal and I am still alive so I figured I should tell everyone you can have that much and not die.

All you can eat sushi?

3 rump steaks and a protein yoghurt :D

Since I got back from vacation all I have done is eat. I went on a date the other night and we got a "butchers block" which had 4 different steaks on plus 3 sides and 2 salad bowls and I had most of that. Even for standard meals were I have a steak or chicken breast with 1 rice pack (80g carbs) I find myself having a 2nd rice pack straight after (plus fruit) so 200g carbs per meal and I done that 3 times the other day not counting other meals. I also ate a whole bag of granola about 1 week ago which is easily 4000-5000 calories and that was in 1 sitting.

This is just me going on what I want and in no way trying to eat a lot. Obviously it's not great but I won't carry on this way and I am still lean so it's not really an issue. It's very rare I eat like this now because as I have gotten older I can't really do big meals but right now I can but usually it's smaller but frequent meals. I ate half a block of family sized cheese last night as well which is a lot of cheese :D It hasn't even been long since my last massive meal and I am hungry again. I don't usually eat loads before bed so I will probably do some cottage cheese and almond butter.

3 rump steaks and a protein yoghurt :D

Since I got back from vacation all I have done is eat. I went on a date the other night and we got a "butchers block" which had 4 different steaks on plus 3 sides and 2 salad bowls and I had most of that. Even for standard meals were I have a steak or chicken breast with 1 rice pack (80g carbs) I find myself having a 2nd rice pack straight after (plus fruit) so 200g carbs per meal and I done that 3 times the other day not counting other meals. I also ate a whole bag of granola about 1 week ago which is easily 4000-5000 calories and that was in 1 sitting.

This is just me going on what I want and in no way trying to eat a lot. Obviously it's not great but I won't carry on this way and I am still lean so it's not really an issue. It's very rare I eat like this now because as I have gotten older I can't really do big meals but right now I can but usually it's smaller but frequent meals. I ate half a block of family sized cheese last night as well which is a lot of cheese :D It hasn't even been long since my last massive meal and I am hungry again. I don't usually eat loads before bed so I will probably do some cottage cheese and almond butter.
Good shit 👍

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinFinch
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner