over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Melatonin

GoneForever

Banned
Who uses it? Dragonfire, you recommend it at 4mg at night for HRT purposes. Why is that? Also, I read its good for improving immune system. Should it be taken nightly forever?

I like the supplement. I have used different sleep meds over the years after a GHB addication and could fight the sleep no problem. 3mg Melatonin and I am knocked out.

Great supplement, bump for more info regards HRT.

Exp Gerontol. 1995 May-Aug;30(3-4):199-212.Links
The pineal gland and melatonin in relation to aging: a summary of the theories and of the data.
Reiter RJ.
Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio 78284-7762, USA.
Within recent years, many investigators have implicated the pineal gland and melatonin in the processes of both aging and age-related diseases. These theories stem from the importance of melatonin in a number of biological functions and the fact that melatonin production in the organism is gradually lost throughout life, such that in very old individuals of any species the circadian melatonin rhythm is bearly discernible. In most species, from algae to humans, where it has been investigated, melatonin has been shown to exhibit a strong circadian rhythm in production and secretion, with high levels of the indole always being associated with the dark period of the light:dark cycle. One theory states that when the melatonin rhythm deteriorates during aging, other circadian rhythms are likewise weakened and rhythms become dysynchronized. This dysynchronization is believed to contribute significantly to aging and to render animals more susceptible to age-related diseases. Another theory assumes that the waning melatonin cycle provides an important switch for genetically programmed aging at the cellular level; furthermore, because all cells in the organism are exposed to the same gradually dampening melatonin signal throughout life, all cells age more or less at the same rate. In this theory, it is presumed to be the duration of the nocturnally elevated melatonin (which, like the amplitude, is reduced during aging), which, when coupled to a time-gating signal, is consequential in determining the rate of aging. Another compelling argument that the reduction in melatonin with age may be contributory to aging and the onset of age-related diseases is based on the recent observation that melatonin is the most potent hydroxyl radical scavenger thus far discovered. A prominent theory of aging attributes the rate of aging to accumulated free radical damage. Inasmuch as melatonin can markedly protect macromolecules, especially DNA, against free radical attack, it could, indeed, be a major factor in determining the rate at which organisms age. Besides its ability to directly scavenge the highly toxic hydroxyl radical, melatonin also promotes the activity of the antioxidative enzyme glutathione peroxidase, thereby further reducing oxidative damage. These actions may be manifested more obviously in the central nervous system, which is highly susceptible to damage by oxygen-based radicals and, because of its inability to regenerate and its high vulnerability to oxidative attack, its deterioration may be especially important in aging.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS)

Exp Gerontol. 1995 May-Aug;30(3-4):199-212.Links
The pineal gland and melatonin in relation to aging: a summary of the theories and of the data.
Reiter RJ.
Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio 78284-7762, USA.
Within recent years, many investigators have implicated the pineal gland and melatonin in the processes of both aging and age-related diseases. These theories stem from the importance of melatonin in a number of biological functions and the fact that melatonin production in the organism is gradually lost throughout life, such that in very old individuals of any species the circadian melatonin rhythm is bearly discernible. In most species, from algae to humans, where it has been investigated, melatonin has been shown to exhibit a strong circadian rhythm in production and secretion, with high levels of the indole always being associated with the dark period of the light:dark cycle. One theory states that when the melatonin rhythm deteriorates during aging, other circadian rhythms are likewise weakened and rhythms become dysynchronized. This dysynchronization is believed to contribute significantly to aging and to render animals more susceptible to age-related diseases. Another theory assumes that the waning melatonin cycle provides an important switch for genetically programmed aging at the cellular level; furthermore, because all cells in the organism are exposed to the same gradually dampening melatonin signal throughout life, all cells age more or less at the same rate. In this theory, it is presumed to be the duration of the nocturnally elevated melatonin (which, like the amplitude, is reduced during aging), which, when coupled to a time-gating signal, is consequential in determining the rate of aging. Another compelling argument that the reduction in melatonin with age may be contributory to aging and the onset of age-related diseases is based on the recent observation that melatonin is the most potent hydroxyl radical scavenger thus far discovered. A prominent theory of aging attributes the rate of aging to accumulated free radical damage. Inasmuch as melatonin can markedly protect macromolecules, especially DNA, against free radical attack, it could, indeed, be a major factor in determining the rate at which organisms age. Besides its ability to directly scavenge the highly toxic hydroxyl radical, melatonin also promotes the activity of the antioxidative enzyme glutathione peroxidase, thereby further reducing oxidative damage. These actions may be manifested more obviously in the central nervous system, which is highly susceptible to damage by oxygen-based radicals and, because of its inability to regenerate and its high vulnerability to oxidative attack, its deterioration may be especially important in aging.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS)

Yes this is all true, and when you lifting intens and heavy, taking stimulants, anabolics, pain medications, alchol ,smoking etc..you will over drive your Endocrine System, with specific emphasis on the Hypothalamous-Pituitary Andrenal Axis (HPAA). The HPAA is the key to the strenght of our life force and is often central to most health problems, syndroms, diseases and aging it self. If you would be able to balance the HPAA it would help the entire endocrine system to achive homeostasis and operate efficiently.

I must have gotten some really off brand crap or something because it has never worked for me!!! :-( .... Ive been to the Dr a few times with my insomnia issue and they wont give me sleeping pills for anything... not sure why but whatever.... one asked if I would start drinking liquor at night to see if that would help... Sleep has always been an issue for me and with some of you guys getting results I will buy a different brand and see what happens...especially since ive only tried my current brand... thanks all

I must have gotten some really off brand crap or something because it has never worked for me!!! :-( .... Ive been to the Dr a few times with my insomnia issue and they wont give me sleeping pills for anything... not sure why but whatever.... one asked if I would start drinking liquor at night to see if that would help... Sleep has always been an issue for me and with some of you guys getting results I will buy a different brand and see what happens...especially since ive only tried my current brand... thanks all

There are 2 types of Meletonin, natural and synthetic. The natural is made from the Pineal gland of animals. To much Meletonin can cause depression.
You need to lower the Cortisol level, so your Peneal gland can function normal.
Sleeping pills, alcohol and Meletonin are just temporary solutions (not good)

So what do you guys think. Maybe 3mg every night? Every other night? 3x per week?

Like anything else, start low and work you way up and see how it goes. Nutrition stores sell them at 1-5mg dosages. I take 4mg because I use a melatonin
formula with other compounds and it happens to have 4mg in it. I can't recommend a dose everyone is different. Did you ever consult with a doctor about your sleep.

Last edited:

GHB is the ultimate sleep aid, and is available by prescription called Xyrem. I'd find a doc who is open to that, but you'll likely have to prove to him in a sleep lab that you have a sleeping disorder to get it.

Like anything else, start low and work you way up and see how it goes. Nutrition stores sell them at 1-5mg dosages. I take 4mg because I use a melatonin
formula with other compounds and it happens to have 4mg in it. I can't recommend a dose everyone is different. Did you ever consult with a doctor about your sleep.

I actually dont have much sleep probs. I just thought taking it before bed was benefitial for other aspects.

I actually dont have much sleep probs. I just thought taking it before bed was benefitial for other aspects.

I got you! The supplement I take has niacin, GABA and melatonin and is sublingual. So I know what you mean.

I have read it is a good antioxidant.I have some but havent used it in a while but it does help with sleep.Dragon how often do you use yours?

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear