over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

My issue with, "It's easy to get a pro card these days."

Medic08

Kilo Klub Member
First, I just want to say that my opinion is just that, and I don't expect anyone to really care what I have to say..... There's my disclaimer.

I've noticed that as of late I've seen numerous people say that getting a pro card is easy, it's not what it use to be, and/or something along the lines of that. I do understand that there are more classes/divisions that allow competitors to obtain their pro card, but when I see people saying that getting a pro card is "easy," these days then I really think that is a slap in the face to guys that put their heart and soul into this sport.

Prime example is John Meawdows.... Hands down one of the hardest working bodybuilders, if not THE hardest working guy on this site, but yet he has fallen short of obtaining a pro card on a few occasions. Now, to the people that say its easy to obtain a pro card these days, could you really look John Meadows in the eye and tell him that he takes short cuts, he doesn't work hard enough, or that WHEN he does get his pro card that he shouldn't get full respect because it was an easy task to fulfill?

Shelby Starnes is another prime example of a continuously dedicated body builder that day in and day out lives and breathes this sport and recently earned his pro card. How could anyone seriously say that obtaining a pro card was easy for him? Has anyone seen Shelby's pictures from five years ago compared to what he looks like today?

Brad Davis (Bboy).... Dusty Hanshaw (sp?).... Top NPC competitors with mind blowing physiques that haven't reached pro status yet, but some how an IFBB pro card is easy to come by these days. C'mon guys, that's a huge reach.

So what, there are more divisions for competitors to achieve pro status, but that does not mean in any form or fashion that it's easy to achieve. Being an IFBB pro in the masters division is exactly that and nothing more. It's not intended to compare a 50 year old IFBB masters pro to Mr. Olympia, Phil Heath.

It's apples and oranges in my opinion, but these extra divisions have their purpose and I see absolutely nothing wrong with awarding someone a pro card that they worked hard for and they deserve just because they couldn't make a run for the Mr. Olympia title.

Like I said, it's just my take in it and I'm not trying to create a E-War or start drama. I just don't see the problem with congratulating someone, being happy for them, and moving on. If obtaining a pro card was/is easy to come by these days then why are only a handful of guys names on here in red?

here's what i know... this concerns womens' division. a bikini competitor can tun pro and if she decides to go for figure, she'll still be an IFBB pro. so for her, it made it easier. i just hope men can't win physique pro status thn automatically be granted an IFBB pro status if he decides to convert to BB, that'd be really unfair.

Well

I personbally think it helps weed out a lot of people. A lot of these guys turning pro in " selected categories" you will never see again. Who they beat to turn pro is important to undertstand how competitive they will be as a real pro. It is watered down.....I dont care how much you love someone or admire their effort, everyone is loved and everyone puts forth effort. The bottom line is, there are way more pros today because we categorize them as amateurs..........if we are going to do that, then why not have the same category in the pro shows? Do you see an over 35 pro show? An over 40 pro show? Over 50? What will these new pros do now?

I think it should be the Very best guys for that year.
A Chance to Win the Nationals or the USA. One winner for the Overall
that is a "pro" or awarded as the best bodybuilder of the year.

I guess I was never aware of so many different ways.
Im no expert, can somebody list the shows and categories?
From the Hardest to win to the easiest? Based on Past winners.

And isnt there also natural pros? But they are Not IFBB?

All the years I should know all this lol.
Just a non competitor here voicing his opinion.

Guys that do these shows and ARE competitors may see it completely different.

I personbally think it helps weed out a lot of people. A lot of these guys turning pro in " selected categories" you will never see again. Who they beat to turn pro is important to undertstand how competitive they will be as a real pro. It is watered down.....I dont care how much you love someone or admire their effort, everyone is loved and everyone puts forth effort. The bottom line is, there are way more pros today because we categorize them as amateurs..........if we are going to do that, then why not have the same category in the pro shows? Do you see an over 35 pro show? An over 40 pro show? Over 50? What will these new pros do now?

I agree, they should have some other categories to compete in, but would people be interested in seeing those or follow them? They have a masters Olympia I know, do they have masters at other contests? The reward money for the masters is pretty skimpy too, similar to how the women get paid. Heck, even the 202 lb class 1st place reward was a slap in the face.

Maybe for some earning the pro title is more of a personal challenge than anything else, perhaps sort of a childhood dream to be achieved. Everyone needs goals. Having the notority should help get more clients to personal train and maybe pick up a few endrosements? Do you really have to win big contests to benefit at all from a pro card?

You're a pro but havent competed in many years, do you feel like having the pro title still helps you today in business?

I agree, they should have some other categories to compete in, but would people be interested in seeing those or follow them? They have a masters Olympia I know, do they have masters at other contests? The reward money for the masters is pretty skimpy too, similar to how the women get paid. Heck, even the 202 lb class 1st place reward was a slap in the face.

Maybe for some earning the pro title is more of a personal challenge than anything else, perhaps sort of a childhood dream to be achieved. Everyone needs goals. Having the notority should help get more clients to personal train and maybe pick up a few endrosements? Do you really have to win big contests to benefit at all from a pro card?

You're a pro but havent competed in many years, do you feel like having the pro title still helps you today in business?

Good Point Maldorf.
If you have a card or license saying your a Professional.....
Im sure it would help your personal training studio etc.
Just like if you were going to Train to fight, you would probably (in most cases) pick the professional

I think the thing that disgusts me the most is just how devalued the Pro Card is over what it used to be.

When did bodybuilding become Little League baseball? Everyone has to feel good or something...

I mean, now one can turn Pro without EVER having won ANYTHING.

Top 2 at a National Qualifier are eligible to go to Nationals.

Top 2 in Figure, Bikini, Men's Bikini...Pro Card. Way to show value...

It won't be long before it's the same in Bodybuilding. Top 2 will get a Pro Card. Hell, they're discussing giving Pro Cards to the men now at Junior Nationals. JUNIOR? Really???

To me, the IFBB was always about the absolute best of the absolute best..it's a shame that that isn't the case anymore.

So, while it may not be EASIER to attain, the IFBB Pro Card has certianly lost VALUE.

I couldn't agree more... Watered down at the least!!

Well

No, because no one remembers me, hahahhahahha. These guys are all young and the majority of BBers now days are under 30.......because of the mainstream attention and effort of the NPC to award more categories.........good for them, bad for the hard liners.

Okay, dumb question, how many people get IFBB pro cards every year? Or how many IFBB competitors compete every year? I'm guessing it way less than in other sports.

If your sport is NFL, MLB, NBA, etc., there's hundreds and hundreds of guys in your league that are pro. Hell, you could be on the bench for seasons and seasons, and still be a professional baseball or basketball player.

My point is that "pro" status in bodybuilding is still way more elite than in most other sports, no?

Well

Okay, dumb question, how many people get IFBB pro cards every year? Or how many IFBB competitors compete every year? I'm guessing it way less than in other sports.

If your sport is NFL, MLB, NBA, etc., there's hundreds and hundreds of guys in your league that are pro. Hell, you could be on the bench for seasons and seasons, and still be a professional baseball or basketball player.

My point is that "pro" status in bodybuilding is still way more elite than in most other sports, no?

I say no......a lot of guys that are pro status are no better than some gym goers that just happen to not compete......

No Phil. I have no idea haow it works. I will not be pro. Maybe physique. Lol. It is my understanding tho that u can slide over into different categories. Ie. Kim chevenski. Or whatever her name is. Pro bb... Dropped to figure .. so why couldn't a physique pro. Step it up a notch and get destroyed on stage ?

Opening any sport to more divisions for people to turn pro may have the undesired effect of watering it down, but it is good bussiness practice. If you can attract more people to bodybuilding you will increase revenues and add legitimacy and credibility to a sport that sorely needs it and is constantly derided by the uninitiated (fat assclowns and skinny nerds) as a sport for ignorant jucing meatheads.

Do you have any idea how it works after you turn pro?

Not trying to be a dick but how does it work after you've earned a pro card? I've always been a casual observer of the sport and I don't know all of the ins and outs of competing.

No, because no one remembers me, hahahhahahha. These guys are all young and the majority of BBers now days are under 30.......because of the mainstream attention and effort of the NPC to award more categories.........good for them, bad for the hard liners.

I remember a Craig Titus meltdown!:headbang:

These young bucks need a history lesson...

What's the point of awarding bracket based pro cards if there aren't bracket based categories in the ifbb? You've got the open class, and the 212 class when it comes to men's bodybuilding..

For womens physique, due to the lack of depth --- some of the pro card winners are nothing more than what you would see at a local show in your town....

In fact, I witnessed one basically go from a rinky dink local show to winning pro card at a pro qualifier as there was on 7 in the division. Still impressive, but just startled me a bit...and I would hope the person who won was startled lol.

On the flip-side , I am sure some of these master mens are simply wanting to put an end to their long lived plight to get that card -- one way, or another.

Perhaps they are realistic enough to know they wont do anything competitively in the pro ranks but they just added "PRO" to their resume and fulfilled a personal goal.

I really liked just ONE overall winner earning pro status out of the entire show.

-FF

Last edited:

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
NWO
NapsGear