over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Niacin question

Are the slo-niacin liver issues because your body is exposed to it longer? Or does the added ingredient have an effect on liver enzymes?

It seems regular Niacin is best...

What is the advantage to taking it pre workout? Does anyone know? I have heard this a few times

Knight, check this out, it might be of interest... According to LEF.org, "Extended-release niacin is a time-release preparation, but does not act as slowly as slow-release niacin. This makes it safer than the slow-release preparations that can cause liver side effects. Extended-release niacin also provokes fewer hot flushes than immediate-release niacin. An example is Slo-Niacin®, which is sold over the counter. Niaspan® is an extended-release niacin preparation sold as a prescription drug."

"By contrast, slow-release niacin preparations reduce the hot-flush effect by releasing niacin over an extended period of 12 hours or longer. Most of these preparations are unsafe and I do not recommend them. “No-flush” niacin preparations, such as inositol hexaniacinate and nicotinamide, are widely sold as niacin alternatives that do not cause hot flushes. In my experience, however, they simply do not work. In other words, no flush, no effect."

from this article: Using Niacin to Improve Cardiovascular Health - Life Extension

So basically, there IS a difference between slow release and extended release, such as the brand slo-niacin (the one I was using).

Last edited:
Knight, check this out, it might be of interest... According to LEF.org, "Extended-release niacin is a time-release preparation, but does not act as slowly as slow-release niacin. This makes it safer than the slow-release preparations that can cause liver side effects. Extended-release niacin also provokes fewer hot flushes than immediate-release niacin. An example is Slo-Niacin®, which is sold over the counter. Niaspan® is an extended-release niacin preparation sold as a prescription drug."

"By contrast, slow-release niacin preparations reduce the hot-flush effect by releasing niacin over an extended period of 12 hours or longer. Most of these preparations are unsafe and I do not recommend them. “No-flush” niacin preparations, such as inositol hexaniacinate and nicotinamide, are widely sold as niacin alternatives that do not cause hot flushes. In my experience, however, they simply do not work. In other words, no flush, no effect."

from this article: Using Niacin to Improve Cardiovascular Health - Life Extension

So basically, there IS a difference between slow release and extended release, such as th brand slo-niacin (the one I was using).

Thanks bro. Sorry for the bad grammar...I fixed it but your quote beat me to it. Not sure if I meant to say is/are and issue/issues. Im anal about stuff like that LOL.

Thanks bro. Sorry for the bad grammar...I fixed it but your quote beat me to it. Not sure if I meant to say is/are and issue/issues. Im anal about stuff like that LOL.

Fixed my post with your edit... Gotta keep you looking good lol

If you want to try the slo-niacin, PM me. I have a near full open bottle that I am not going to use.

Fixed my post with your edit... Gotta keep you looking good lol

If you want to try the slo-niacin, PM me. I have a near full open bottle that I am not going to use.

I might take you up on that offer bro. Who makes it? Are you going to switch to something you feel is better?

I might take you up on that offer bro. Who makes it? Are you going to switch to something you feel is better?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391213984.739161.jpg it expires 08/2015

Mfg. upsher smith

I'm just not using niacin because my cholesterol is good again... I just haven't had a need to use it to keep my cholesterol in check and might as well give it to someone on the cheap who can use it before it expires

I did some googling, and I think you might be interested in the differences between niacin and niacinamide:

• Both are forms of vitamin B-3, but niacin is only available by prescription. Most of the OTC formulas contain niacinamide (although some contain inositol hexanicotinate).
  • Niacin and niacinamide are both water soluble, but only niacin cause flushing. That's because niacinamide does not have the same vasodialating effects. On the other hand, niacinamide can cause excessive sweating.
  • In terms of efficacy, only niacin is used to treat high cholesterol. When niacin takes on an amide group, its cholesterol-lowering effects are inhibited.
The conclusion seems to be if you want the cholesterol-lowering benefits, you need to deal with the flushing. But this is only available by prescription.

That's simply untrue as you don't need an rx for Niacin.

I never had a question about niacinamide... not really part of the discussion.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My lipid profile is horrible, so doctor recently put me on 1500mg Niaspan taken before bedtime (worked up slowly from 500 to 1500), with a baby aspirin 20 minutes before. He orders bloodwork every 3 months (also on TRT) and the next blood test order includes liver enzymes check. I have noticed in the morning that my eyes are bloodshot, so reading the posts in this thread has me concerned. Could I take Synthergine to ward off any potential damage/stress on my liver while taking Niaspan?

That's simply untrue as you don't need an rx for Niacin.

I never had a question about niacinamide... not really part of the discussion.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Can you double check the ingredients in your bottle of "niacin"? Are you sure it doesn't say "niacin (as niacinamide)" or "niacin (as inositol hexicotintate)"? From what I read, all OTC formulations of niacin are actually compounds like niacinamide, in which case, I think the distinction could be relevant to the discussion.

I'd be curious to know what OTC brand sells pure niacin.

Can you double check the ingredients in your bottle of "niacin"? Are you sure it doesn't say "niacin (as niacinamide)" or "niacin (as inositol hexicotintate)"? From what I read, all OTC formulations of niacin are actually compounds like niacinamide, in which case, I think the distinction could be relevant to the discussion.

I'd be curious to know what OTC brand sells pure niacin.

I don't take Niacin, so...it's not laying around. But this is the first one I looked up..
Niacin 500 mg - 250 Tablets

I mentioned why no flush is not as good in my previous post, but....

Flush free doesn't have the same benefits as the flushing niacin... slow-release, however, does have the same benefits and there is less of a flush. The down side of slow release is the potential for liver damage

Sorry didn't read whole thread.

Is there anything painful or dangerous about the flushing?
Any one heard that old rumor or test about flushing at x amount of niacin being a test for "histadelia"?

either way we can all agree that the flushing sucks. Before bed is the easiest way for me to take niacin 500 milligrams with a baby aspirin usually helps. Food also helps but regardless you're flooding the body with histamines until you get used to it you're going to flush. 3 months and I still flush like the first time, to the point now I sorta like it lol. Stick with it the benefits out way the sides.

either way we can all agree that the flushing sucks. Before bed is the easiest way for me to take niacin 500 milligrams with a baby aspirin usually helps. Food also helps but regardless you're flooding the body with histamines until you get used to it you're going to flush. 3 months and I still flush like the first time, to the point now I sorta like it lol. Stick with it the benefits out way the sides.

I thought I had seen 1500-2000 or 1000-2000mg recommended to fix bloodwork-not 500mg. I would have to question how effective that dosing is.

View attachment 67700 it expires 08/2015

Mfg. upsher smith

I'm just not using niacin because my cholesterol is good again... I just haven't had a need to use it to keep my cholesterol in check and might as well give it to someone on the cheap who can use it before it expires

Flex I'm taking the same thing as you. This is what my Dr. recommended to me after my stroke, my HDL was 19 and 21. Have only been on it for about a week (500mgs) and I go back in late Feb for lab work, so hopefully this along with a few other things will raise my level to normal a range.

Last edited:
post stroke the much more important thing is being on a statin... a Low HDL is not good, but statins are more imporant, and if you're going to be taxing your liver, might as well get the most bang for the (liver's) buck...

there are independant factors besides the cholesterol profile that makes statins more protective for stroke patients... as in 20% more protective than just fixing the LDL and HDL...

My opinion, not medical advice...

--Dr. E.

post stroke the much more important thing is being on a statin... a Low HDL is not good, but statins are more imporant, and if you're going to be taxing your liver, might as well get the most bang for the (liver's) buck...

there are independant factors besides the cholesterol profile that makes statins more protective for stroke patients... as in 20% more protective than just fixing the LDL and HDL...

My opinion, not medical advice...

--Dr. E.

Been on 80mgs of lipitor for the last 2 yrs. I have now added 500 mgs of slo niacin, 1000mgs turmeric and 4oz red wine.

Last edited:
If I take niacin on an empty stomach, I turn red as a cooked lobster. Taking it with meals helps prevent the flush.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear