over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Niacin question

I don't take Niacin, so...it's not laying around. But this is the first one I looked up..
Niacin 500 mg - 250 Tablets

Yup, that sure looks like regular niacin. Odd, though, because I definitely read on a few sites that it was only Rx. Thanks for clearing that up.

Avoid this brand, the type(s) of B3 they use are USELESS for cardiovascular benefits.

"In many NOW products, including multivitamins and B-complex vitamins, only the flush-free forms niacinamide (nicotinamide) and inositol hexanicotinate are actually included in the formulas."

Niacin Forms and Safety - NOW Foods

Avoid this brand, the type(s) of B3 they use are USELESS for cardiovascular benefits.

"In many NOW products, including multivitamins and B-complex vitamins, only the flush-free forms niacinamide (nicotinamide) and inositol hexanicotinate are actually included in the formulas."

Thanks. This is exactly why niacinamide needs to be part of the discussion—because what's labeled niacin in OTC products is actually niacinamide or inositol hexanicotinate as discussed above.

Thanks. This is exactly why niacinamide needs to be part of the discussion—because what's labeled niacin in OTC products is actually niacinamide or inositol hexanicotinate as discussed above.

Where did you read that otc niacin supplements don't contain niacin (nicotinic acid) like prescription niacin supplements do? I did a google search and web md and other legitimate sites indicate that niacin (nicotinic acid) is available otc. They did recommend not taking otc niacin in high dosages without consulting with a physician, but that is understandable as even prescription niacin has some level of toxicity. Not attacking you, I'm just curious as to where you read that.

I've been using an otc niacin supplement for nearly 2 years now on the recommendation of my doctor. He specifically told me to get regular niacin and not time released or flush free. He said he could write me a prescription, but it would be cheaper for me to get it otc. I have blood work done every 6 months with this doctor. Before starting niacin, my hdl levels were 20 with high ldl. A year after starting the niacin, my hdl levels have risen to 55.

Where did you read that otc niacin supplements don't contain niacin (nicotinic acid) like prescription niacin supplements do? I did a google search and web md and other legitimate sites indicate that niacin (nicotinic acid) is available otc. They did recommend not taking otc niacin in high dosages without consulting with a physician, but that is understandable as even prescription niacin has some level of toxicity. Not attacking you, I'm just curious as to where you read that.

I've been using an otc niacin supplement for nearly 2 years now on the recommendation of my doctor. He specifically told me to get regular niacin and not time released or flush free. He said he could write me a prescription, but it would be cheaper for me to get it otc. I have blood work done every 6 months with this doctor. Before starting niacin, my hdl levels were 20 with high ldl. A year after starting the niacin, my hdl levels have risen to 55.

Pretty sure I read it in on livestrong.com. Can't remember the source cited by the author, though. I didn't realize it was such a controversial statement or I would have made a note of the source and the date. The relevant point in the article, I think, was just to make sure you are getting niacin, not niacinamide.

Sent using Tapatalk

niacin and niacinamide are totally different. you have to read the ingrediants as niacinamide is often labeled as flush free niacin.

I cant believe these doses of niacin though... omg!

I think when i fukced with it I had 50mg tabs which I cut into quarters to help with the flushing.

I use niacinamide regularly for anxiety/ being too weird up. 1.5-3g at a time. great sup for relaxation and sleep.

there is information out there that valium was developed form a modification of niacinamide and that it is actually a natural benzo.

I can see this as with heavy use i do notice my head a little more foggy/ i forget something every now and then that i usually wouldn't.

rx benzos give me blackouts or wholes inmy memory.

How much do u take & how many times a day?

Pretty sure I read it in on livestrong.com. Can't remember the source cited by the author, though. I didn't realize it was such a controversial statement or I would have made a note of the source and the date. The relevant point in the article, I think, was just to make sure you are getting niacin, not niacinamide.

Sent using Tapatalk

I hope you realize niacinamide has a whole host of health benefits... Though, niacin is what we want for cholesterol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Otc brand?

That's simply untrue as you don't need an rx for Niacin.

Actually you do need a script for Niaspan....

Actually you do need a script for Niaspan....

Thanks, I'm fully aware the drug they PRESCRIBE requires a script. But you don't NEED a script to get Niacin since it's also OTC.

Thanks, I'm fully aware the drug they PRESCRIBE requires a script. But you don't NEED a script to get Niacin since it's also OTC.

Just making a point knight, that's all... one needs a script the others don't... but some people don't know that.

Last edited:
I hope you realize niacinamide has a whole host of health benefits... Though, niacin is what we want for cholesterol.

Go back and re-read my original post. That was my point from the very beginning! :headbang:

Sent using Tapatalk

Go back and re-read my original post. That was my point from the very beginning! :headbang:

Sent using Tapatalk

Yes I realize that. I'm just telling you that niacinamide is great for other things.

The NOW Niacin 500mg is a great product and not flush free.

How much do u take & how many times a day?

I started with 500mg a night before bed and eventually worked up to 1250mg a night. Like others have said, I take an aspirin with it to help with the flushing. Many times in the past I'd get red hives and intense itching from the flush. When that happened, I'd back down on the dose for a week or two then go back up.

As for the brand I use, I've used several. I just make sure that the niacin is from nicotinic acid. Currently and for the past 6 months I've been using a Vitamin Shoppe brand that comes in 250mg capsules, but I'm going to look into the Slo-Niacin that has been mentioned in this thread.

Just got my lab work results in and my HDL raised to 36. My last test was 21 so it has raised somewhat but still is low. 2 months on 500mg slo niacin and 2 months 500mg flush free along with 1000mgs turmeric/curcumins. :)

Just got my lab work results in and my HDL raised to 36. My last test was 21 so it has raised somewhat but still is low. 2 months on 500mg slo niacin and 2 months 500mg flush free along with 1000mgs turmeric/curcumins. :)

I have not read the whole thread but are you doing cardio often? That and eat fish will help.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity