over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

no pressing for shoulders

powerrack

Registered
I haven't done an overhead pressing movement for shoulders in a while. I think I've actually made some gains on my delts without them. I often feel the risk of injury I get with overhead pressing movments, is not worth it. Does anyone else train their delts with no pressing movement here? All I really do is laterals, on occasion doing my pressing movement last when I am pre-exhausted so I do not have to use such heavy weight, but that is rare.

me too

just side and rear laterals for me on shoulder day. plenty of front delt development with chest exercises. rarely, i'll do a couple sets of db presses but moderate weight and 20 reps.

in my opinion, you cant have too much delt WIDTH. i can see too much front delt thickness..amking the chest look small..(lee priest).. but too much widdth?? idk...i prefer the WIDE look

OHHH thaT MAKES MORE SENSE NOW.

i used to have over powering front delts. so i spent a year without any front delt specific work.
now my shoulders look retarded! :eek: ive been kicking ass on heavy presses and front laterals at the neginning of my workouts now though..and going real heavy on inclines on chest day....the gap is filling in quickly.

I like the wide look too. I was thinking more omit the overhead pressing, b/c the front delts usually get enough exposure from all the heavy pressing on chest movements, but include some solid side and rear delt movements. I tend to keep the volume pretty low on the rear delts as well.

Looks like you have some pretty crazy delts in your avatar.

Thank you, I have learned alot since 2005 when I first started working with Phil..............and am still learning...............;)

i you dont do press's, do you do any front delt work, or all side and rear head work?

My back delts lag too! My front delts are really over powering. What exercises do you guys recommend for the rear delts?

Thank you, I have learned alot since 2005 when I first started working with Phil..............and am still learning...............;)

I've found no real benefit of doing a pressing movement for shoulders. I'm assuming your still pressing for chest? I find that is enough for front delts and doing anymore just gets the area overtrained and tends to just give me un-needed pains that sets me back training wise.

I've found no real benefit of doing a pressing movement for shoulders. I'm assuming your still pressing for chest? I find that is enough for front delts and doing anymore just gets the area overtrained and tends to just give me un-needed pains that sets me back training wise.

Yes, I still press for chest.......

My back delts lag too! My front delts are really over powering. What exercises do you guys recommend for the rear delts?

I prefer rear delt lateral raises. Get ahold of a flat bench and sit on it with your ass close to the end of it and your legs together and feet on the floor at the end of the bench. Bend your upper torso so that your chest is on your quads and grab the dumbbells (which would be sitting on the floor underneath you). Then proceed to do whatever rep/set combination suits your workout style.

dumbell presses will put much less stain on your joints and ligaments than barbell overhead presses

I've always pressed for fronts, and done rack pulls for rears, now I found my medials severely lagging. TP4U was workin with me, but I just cant get it down :( I read somewhere that BTN pressing on the smith machine can help trigger medial growth, but I would check with a vet's opinion first.

i had arthrite in my shoulder, so pressing with bb was dangerous for me. i switched to dumbel and works great and till 2 year's it hurts too with dumbell.
so i do my laterals with one arm, you are stronger, and for rear i do one arm at time too and two arm face on a bench.
sometimes i do some press shoulder machine but it's like a waste of time.

Nothing comes close to millitary presses for overall delt mass, ESPECIALLY side delts.

just side and rear laterals for me on shoulder day. plenty of front delt development with chest exercises. rarely, i'll do a couple sets of db presses but moderate weight and 20 reps.

Exactly what I do.

Big A would you say standing military or seated military are better for overall and medial delt development?

Big A would you say standing military or seated military are better for overall and medial delt development?

I prefer standing, but either.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity